This has been a huge help for sleeping! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2009, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
About a month ago I got one of the snoogle pillows. They aren't cheap and the cover I think is pretty overpriced so I have a king pillow cover over the top of it, but as a formally dedicated stomach sleeper I can sleep fully comfortable on my sides and on my back (it cradles you so you aren't flat on your back. If you are having trouble being comfortable sleeping I would highly suggest one of these if you can afford it. Just wanted to share something that has worked really well for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i got one off of craigslist for $15 with a brand new never used cover.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
Old 12-22-2009, 10:59 PM

Ha! I just realized that we have a "bclare" and a "claireb"

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 12-23-2009, 12:44 AM

That pillow looks awesome! I have 11 pillows plus a body pillow on my bed...but that thing looks amazing!

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

Old 12-23-2009, 12:47 AM

Mwahahaha! I think I've found yet another pillow device I can torture DH with at night.

That looks super comfy.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:28 AM

Hmm.. I disagree with the OP about this pillow. My sister-in-law gave me the same one after she was done with it and I'm not as happy with it. It's definitely better than a regular old pillow but I'm still not sleeping well. First off the things I like: it cradles my belly so that it doesn't hurt, the part that wraps around your neck prevents you from completely sleeping on your back, and I like how it separates both my knees and my ankles. BUT... it's really firm and my ear starts hurting because the pillow doesn't give enough (maybe because mine is used it's more compacted??) and when I want to switch sides I completely wake up because I have to flip the whole pillow in order to do that. It's really a pain to flip too because you have to lift both your upper body to flip the top portion and then your lower to lift the covers and flip the bottom portion. It's not easy to do now I don't think I'll be able to do it when my belly's bigger.

I've been debating getting one of the u-shaped pregnancy pillows but that's even bigger and I feel like I'm already taking more than my fair share of the bed. I may just end up with a body pillow and my normal pillow for my head, although then I'll have to figure out how not to end up sleeping on my back. sigh...

Organic gardening, raising, SAHM to my precious baby girl Leyla, born 4/29/10, ten days late and after 32 hours of labor but well worth the wait!
Old 12-23-2009, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

I actually thought about getting one of the "double-sided" versions because of the flip past of turning over. I use a pillow on the other side and that seems to do it just fine for me. I would also agree it is firm-- I like firm pillows for sleeping, so it is perfect for me, but if you were someone who liked a very soft pillow it might be too much. Isn't it funny how such different things work for everyone. I love this thing!
Old 12-24-2009, 01:34 PM

Well, I like the pillow better after last night. I decided to try just turning over, without flipping the pillow, and sleeping with the long part around my back. I hadn't done it before because I thought my belly would hurt without the support in front. I was pleasantly surprised the long side on my back felt really nice, for whatever reason my belly didn't hurt and I felt cradled by the pillow. My ear hurting from the firmness of the pillow wasn't an issue because I was able to flip more. I also liked that with the long part in the back I could cuddle my dh again. I slept better last night than I have in weeks. Yay!!

Organic gardening, raising, SAHM to my precious baby girl Leyla, born 4/29/10, ten days late and after 32 hours of labor but well worth the wait!
Old 12-24-2009, 10:26 PM

I've used a snoogle this pregnancy and last, and also really like it. Mine's in rough shape by this time, though.

I also flip from side to side without flipping the pillow. Sometimes I like the long part against my back, sometimes I like it in front. So it works both ways for me.

I supplement the head support by also putting a thin pillow on top of the snoogle. And I'm short enough that sometimes I can lay my head on a regular pillow inside the top part, and still be comfy.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 12-26-2009, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenica View Post
Hmm.. I disagree with the OP about this pillow. My sister-in-law gave me the same one after she was done with it and I'm not as happy with it. It's definitely better than a regular old pillow but I'm still not sleeping well. First off the things I like: it cradles my belly so that it doesn't hurt, the part that wraps around your neck prevents you from completely sleeping on your back, and I like how it separates both my knees and my ankles. BUT... it's really firm and my ear starts hurting because the pillow doesn't give enough (maybe because mine is used it's more compacted??) and when I want to switch sides I completely wake up because I have to flip the whole pillow in order to do that. It's really a pain to flip too because you have to lift both your upper body to flip the top portion and then your lower to lift the covers and flip the bottom portion. It's not easy to do now I don't think I'll be able to do it when my belly's bigger.

I've been debating getting one of the u-shaped pregnancy pillows but that's even bigger and I feel like I'm already taking more than my fair share of the bed. I may just end up with a body pillow and my normal pillow for my head, although then I'll have to figure out how not to end up sleeping on my back. sigh...
I agree. I bought one, but it sits on the floor. It hurts me more than anything, it stays in the shape and I like freedom to move and that's why I like my plain pillows because I can position them where as that stays in that shape.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
Old 12-26-2009, 09:55 PM

This is the pillow I got when pregnant with DS

I adored it! the only thing I didn't like was that it didn't come up high enough under my belly so that I could comfortably use it under my head too... but now DS uses it all curled up like it is in the pic.

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
Old 12-27-2009, 04:51 AM

ooh, I keep thinking about getting one. I'm surprised at how early I've started getting bad insomnia - I don't feel physically uncomfortable at this point (26 weeks) but seem to wake up unwillingly many, many times a night without being able to drop back off as usual. I have noticed that having something to hold/ snuggle in my arms (pillow, cat, sweatshirt, whatever) helps me relax. Maybe there's something psychological going on? Or maybe it just feels good near my belly... Anyway, I think I'll try one! Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:38 PM

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Leachco-Back-B...1928229&sr=8-2 and it's pretty nice. I used it through my first pregnancy and it was a lifesaver- then loaned it to a friend who LOVED it through her pregnancy, and now I'm using it again. I like that I don't have to adjust it to roll over. I wish it was a bit longer, and also I don't love the U part under my head. I just noticed that the pictures show the U going between the legs, too... I might try it that way.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell-Bell View Post
I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Leachco-Back-B...1928229&sr=8-2 and it's pretty nice. I used it through my first pregnancy and it was a lifesaver- then loaned it to a friend who LOVED it through her pregnancy, and now I'm using it again. I like that I don't have to adjust it to roll over. I wish it was a bit longer, and also I don't love the U part under my head. I just noticed that the pictures show the U going between the legs, too... I might try it that way.
That's the same one I have. I love my back and belly being supported at the same time, and I love that both are still supported when I roll over.

Married 6.10.06   Mommied 4.17.08 and 4.12.10

User Tag List