Anyone else having a scheduled c-section? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So the "surprises" just keep coming this pregnancy. After finding out we are having twins last Monday and realizing my midwife attended home birth wasn't going to happen, today I learned that a c-section is my only choice. Well if you call being told a choice. I called every OB that my insurance covers in a 45 minute radius of me and more than 50% won't take me because its twins and half way through the pregnancy and the other half said it was an automatic c-section. I met with a really nice OB today but she too is a c-section no matter what. There was only 1 OB that I found that would even attempt a vaginal hospital delivery of twins and he doesn't take my insurance. Apparently my area has a high number of law suits towards OBs or something because the Ob I spoke with today said she doesn't know of any Obs in town that will attempt VBACs anymore either. She said the risk is too high for the doctor. So I'm kinda in a corner here and I guess a scheduled c-section is what is going to happen. My Dh is pretty ticked at the whole situation and that the doctors won't even try a vaginal birth. I'm going to have 5 children 5 years old and young (two of those being the twins) and recovering fro surgery. I've only had natural vaginal births so this is a whole new situation for me to be in.

SO for those of you who know your having a c-section what are you doing to prepare for the before, during and after of recovery? I know my mom is probably going to come stay with us for a little bit but she has a two year old of her own (adopted foster child) so she is limited on her ability to help for an extended period of time.

Katana - Full time student : and SAHM to 5 kids
Boy / Girl Twins born 5/5/2010!!!
#2 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 02:15 AM

that really sucks.

i had a c-section with my first and have been surprised that my OB would go for a VBAC at all, given that i had heard NO ONE does VBACs in my area. so i was pleasantly surprised to find i had a choice.

recovery from a c-section is a real drag, though i think when i was recovering with my DD i was so worn down from 36 hrs of labour that it made the recovery a little tough.

wish i had some words of wisdom or something. just wanted to offer up some sympathy.
#3 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 02:16 AM

I just had one a few days ago. Childcare is essential, as is housekeeping. 10 days minimum, more if at all possible. I am two weeks out, don;t have an infant to care for, not nursing or pumping and am still exhausted.

Treat yourself to a postpartum doula, or nanny. The more rest and sleep you can get the better (less complications, fewer set backs and quicker healing) your recovery will be.

Yes you do need help--REALLY!

Now, I know you feel backed into a corner about the c-section. I just want to repeat what you already know 1. it is not necessary in this instance and there ARE other options available. That doesn't mean they are comfortable, affordable or practical for you, but I don't want you to go into this feeling like a victim of circumstances. If you choose to have a section, embrace it and find ways to make it the best birth possible.

If you've made your decision to accept the ban and choose a section, now is the time to find the BEST surgeon possible and to set up your postpartum life.

I personally didn't find my section 1/4 as difficult as recovery from my vaginal births, but I did have serious complications from surgery (none had to do with the c-section at all, but other faucets of the stresses of surgery).

I also believe there was a "Children by c-section tribe" awhile back, and don't forget ICAN!! (I'm lucky enough to know the current pres and just emailed her a few recovery questions myself. lol)

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#4 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 02:45 AM

Check with family practice doctor's the do OB care. I know we have a local family practice dr that just did a vaginal twin birth in the hospital. Sometimes you can find them that are much more easygoing than OBs. Good luck.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#5 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 09:27 AM

I am not planning a c-section, actually planning a third VBAC, but I would suggest to keep looking at all your options. Check out how much the out of network dr would cost you. Look into driving to other cities. Look into other midwives if a home birth is something you might want to do. There are traveling midwives. Contact the ICAN chapter to you as they may know of other options. I'm just throwing ideas out there in case there's something that might work. At worst, you can show up in labor and refuse a c-section, but that's not as easy as it sounds and probably very stressful as well. If you have to, come stay with me b/c I know the OB I go to will attend vaginal twin births and I've heard of a couple of twin VBACs in recent years as well.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#6 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 AM

Question: Does the OB who would do vaginal birth for twins take Medicaid, and would you be eligible for maternity Medicaid? That might be a way to work around things.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#7 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 12:06 PM

There was an article a while back about a woman who strongly protested her areas opinions on VBAC. She went out of state to deliver. There is a civil rights question here IMO. Should doctors legally be allowed to force women into surgery? I am absolutely disgusted for you! And if I were you I would cross state/town lines, probably pay cash if I could afford it, etc. to at least attempt a vaginal birth. No one has a right to take that from you.

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
#8 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 12:46 PM

I am also having a scheduled c-section due to a medical condition that I have. My plan is to have my mom come to help for at least a week after I am out of the hospital. I do not have other children, but I know that I will need to get as much rest as I can to have a quick recovery. My DH works two days a week teaching and will not be able to take any time off of work, so I know that I will need the extra help.

My inlaws and my grandmother will also probably come for visits later on.

It's definitely a bummer to be told that you have to have a c-section, but it is kind of nice to be able to prepare with a known date in mind.
#9 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 01:38 PM

I had a c/s with my daughter. I was in the hospital for 5 days, but after I was fine. As soon as I was released, I was at the NICU daily. I would get up and be there by 8am and I would go home at 12am. I wasn't cooking full time, but I did laundry and I did clean when I was home.
Recovery wasn't a problem for me and I didn't get a lot of rest as the NICU only had rocking chairs and it was noisy.
I think it's different for everyone. My friend was released 48 hours after her c/s and she went home to care for a new baby and a 2yr old. She was cooking and cleaning and caring for the kids. She said it was like nothing ever happened.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#10 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 02:14 PM

First, I wanna say dont give up yet! Have you asked around in your "tribe" on here? And the other thing I want to mention is that even if you plan on a c-section, have you considered waiting until you go into labor naturally, so you know your babies are ready? If I ever had to have a csection that wasnt an emergency, that is what I would do.

Jeanna, proud mama to 3 sweet girls!
#11 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 03:12 PM

I think this is ridiculous. You have already birthed 3 kids vaginally, and this is just stupid. All the women I know who have had twins have had them vaginally. Most of them had to deliver in the OR just in case they needed to do a cs. Maybe that is something you could negotiate with your OB.

I would wait for labor regardless. Those last couple days in the womb mean a lot to little babies, and they will tell you when is best for them to be born. I don't see why you have to schedule a cs, and not just wait for labor and then go to hospital.

Your other option would be, if you know of any friends or family who live out of the are, maybe you could stay with them for a couple weeks and birth in their hospital? I would do that if it meant the difference between a vaginal/cs. Especially if you have 3 other kids at home to take care of.

Recovery was crap, with my cs. http://www.csectionrecoverykit.com/?...FSBqswodr0_GvA I hear these can help with the pain and such. Also, hydrate well, as with a cs, you loose a significant more amount of blood than with a vaginal birth. Milk sometimes takes a while to come in after a cs, I'd suggest to meet with and pick an LC before the birth, so she can help you out with a good latch to make sure the baby is stimulating your boobs/nipples for you to produce more milk.

I would never go in for another cs if I had any other option for a vaginal birth. This time we are HBACing, as the best VBAC rate in our hospitals are around 6%.
#12 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 04:12 PM

Could you talk to anybody at your insurance company? I know they'll probably try really hard not to cover anything out-of-network, but would it help at all to point out that a c-section costs them a heck of a lot more than a vaginal birth? Plus, shouldn't they have some sort of provision for out-of-network care for procedures that cannot be done in network? In this case, wouldn't a vaginal birth be a "procedure" that you cannot have done in network? Or, are there any OON hospitals around that are more friendly towards vaginal twin births...and then just happen to be "closest" to that hospital when you go into labor. I don't know if this is a law or not, but I've never had any insurance that wouldn't cover OON emergency visits.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#13 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 07:32 PM

I am having a scheduled c-section. I didn't want to attempt a VBAC.

Mine is scheduled for April 14th. They even asked me if I wanted my tubes tied. I said no.

I am not sure what I will do for preparation... I am scared about it...

I will have my then 22 month old being taken care of by a close friend as no parents will be in town.

My DH will take 2 weeks off work, then my MIL will come from across the country for two weeks to help with my toddler.

I do know what to expect for recovery... and it will be hard.

Mommy to DS 6/08, Expecting :
4/10 by c-section.
#14 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 07:42 PM

I'm having a 4th c-section, unless by some miracle I go into labor before the scheduled date.

I left the hospital 24 hrs after my last c-section. I do ok with the recovery. My ex is taking the 3 older kids for a few days, or if he can't, my parents will. I figure I'll spend 48 hrs in the hospital this time. Last time I had a husband and best friend to come home to. This time ?? who knows. DP is a professor, and crazy busy this semester. I doubt he will even miss a class at this point. I do have a GF locally who has offered to help out - but she works, so I'm hoping she can at least come over and do some housework, make dinner for the older kids, that kind of thing. My only real plan is to deal with things as they come up. I don't like having house guests, and frankly I don't have the space.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#15 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 08:42 PM

there are midwives in texas that do twin home births, lots of them are able to take insurance as well.
i would ask your tribe as well as google and contact all midwives within 2-3 hours of your home to see if you can still have a home birth.
dont give up yet, the worst that could happen is you have to go with the c-sec. route, but you may still be able to have your home birth or at least a vaginal hospital birth.

also, check with midwives that do in hospital services, they would be much more likely than an ob to offer twin vaginal birth.

fight it, and refuse to schedule until you actually go into labor, babies and mamas do much better after c-secs if they get a chance to labor for a bit before hand.

good luck, please update us on how it goes, FIGHT!!
#16 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Well after calling literally 25 OB offices I found one that will be OK with a vaginal delivery if both babies are vertex. I realize that this still ups my chances of c-section significantly considering I don't know what the chances of both babies being vertex is but at least this doctor will wait longer and give the babies a chance to be in the right position versus c-section at 36 weeks no matter what. I think this is my best bet at this point. And I'm just going to go into with the mentality that if I am meant to have a vaginal birth this time around then it will happen and if not then I will be OK with it.

Katana - Full time student : and SAHM to 5 kids
Boy / Girl Twins born 5/5/2010!!!
#17 of 23 Old 01-15-2010, 11:14 AM

I am having a scheduled C/S at 36 weeks, we don't know the date for sure because I have to have an amnio on April 6th, if all is well I'll have her probably that day. I don't have a choice, my last birth was 24 hours of labor with an emergency C/S in the end after 4 vaginal births. My uterus ruptured during labor, so this time I just can't risk both our lives by laboring.

I hope you like the one you've found mama, it will be nice for you to get your vaginal birth and not have a C/S. I found after B's birth that I had a very difficult time doing things. My poor DH was ran ragged by "getting me things" at home. Had him on Friday, was home on Monday, would NEVER have come home sooner, I would've died. I ended up with an infection in my incision AND mastitis during the next 10 weeks and seemed so sick. I had a hard time walking for at least a week and couldn't climb onto my bed, and after that it got easier, but I still took it easy. I do hope it's easier this time around. GL mama!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#18 of 23 Old 01-15-2010, 05:33 PM

I don't have any person experience here, but have read a bit about the difference between a planned c-section and a c-section once labor begins, and how mom and baby get many of the benefits if they have had some time to labor together. I wonder if you could find an OB who would let you go into labor for a while and then perform the surgery? Of course, it takes out the planning ease of a section, but it might be worth it.
#19 of 23 Old 01-16-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klocke View Post
Well after calling literally 25 OB offices I found one that will be OK with a vaginal delivery if both babies are vertex. I realize that this still ups my chances of c-section significantly considering I don't know what the chances of both babies being vertex is but at least this doctor will wait longer and give the babies a chance to be in the right position versus c-section at 36 weeks no matter what. I think this is my best bet at this point. And I'm just going to go into with the mentality that if I am meant to have a vaginal birth this time around then it will happen and if not then I will be OK with it.
This only gives you the chance that you are allowing "society" to give you Mama. Chances of both being vertex aren't that high. If you are comfortable with this limitation and a resulting c/s then that is ok. But don't compromise for the sake of compromise. Do so because you truly feel this is the safer way for you and your babies!

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
#20 of 23 Old 01-16-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclare View Post
I don't have any person experience here, but have read a bit about the difference between a planned c-section and a c-section once labor begins, and how mom and baby get many of the benefits if they have had some time to labor together. I wonder if you could find an OB who would let you go into labor for a while and then perform the surgery? Of course, it takes out the planning ease of a section, but it might be worth it.
I understand your sincerity to the Original Poster, and how you do have good intentions, but IMO, I don't see how a Dr can't "let" you go into labor, it's not like if you schedule a cs, and don't show up at the hospital, they are going to come knocking on your door with a scalpel. On the other had, why not just not schedule one and show up in labor. Problem solved.
#21 of 23 Old 01-16-2010, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMom View Post
I understand your sincerity to the Original Poster, and how you do have good intentions, but IMO, I don't see how a Dr can't "let" you go into labor, it's not like if you schedule a cs, and don't show up at the hospital, they are going to come knocking on your door with a scalpel. On the other had, why not just not schedule one and show up in labor. Problem solved.

I totally agree with AustinMom. There is no way on God's Green Earth that I would be bullied into a c-section and that is exactly what these OB's are trying to do. We are not just patients we are consumers. You are paying for these services and the insurance and if you don't like the answers they are giving you, then you must stand up for your rights as a consumer and a mother. I hear this all the time where women state that their doctors won't "allow" them to do this or that. That is BS. This is a free country and we are grown adults. If I could not find a doctor that would work with me and I really wanted to deliver in a hospital I would wait until I was really far along in labor and show up at the hospital and not consent to a c-section. The hospital can not force you to do something aganist your will.

Lisa
#22 of 23 Old 01-17-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgetown HB Mom View Post

The hospital can not force you to do something aganist your will.
unfortunately there is a story out right now about a hospital and a judge that forced a woman to have a c-section.
there are obvious rights violations involved, but it has and can happen.

hopefully babies will just be vertex, i am really crossing my fingers! my sisters were both vertex at birth! so i know it happens.
#23 of 23 Old 01-17-2010, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
unfortunately there is a story out right now about a hospital and a judge that forced a woman to have a c-section.
there are obvious rights violations involved, but it has and can happen.

hopefully babies will just be vertex, i am really crossing my fingers! my sisters were both vertex at birth! so i know it happens.
As I understand it though that mom was 25 weeks and they did not do a c-section right away so they had time to get a judges order. If the OP shows up at the hospital almost ready to push there would be no time to get a judges order, the babies would be born before that could happen.

Lisa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page