Update on us -- Babies born at 25 w 6 d - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2010, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,
I'm exhausted so this will be short. Thanks Jay for filling folks in on what was going on with me...basically i got admitted to hospital the day after Christmas because they finally had proof that I was ruptured (now they are assuming I've actually been ruptured since 12 weeks, so that's 14 weeks total that I was ruptured...unbelievable).

Anyway, I got admitted after Christmas and was to be there for the duration of the pregnancy, which we were HOPING would be quite a long time.

Things were going well, I was stable, still leaking (to be expected given that I'm ruptured), but no signs of labor or infection. Babies looked great, were growing well, hearts looked awesome on the monitors, and they were moving around like squirmy worms inside of me!!

Then, like all things in life can...things changed on a dime. Thursday, about mid-day, I got out of bed to use the bathroom (my only privilege during my stay at the hospital) and when I returned from the bathroom, a large amount of blood flowed out of me and made a large puddle on the floor. I cleaned it up with tissues, but it kept coming. I finally managed to clean it all up, called a nurse, and she called a doctor.

The doctor (resident) didn't seem too concerned at first, until I stood up again to get in a wheelchair for an emergency sonogram, and upon standing, another much larger pool of blood spilled out of me. At this point, it was truly a lot of blood, and my main perinatologist was paged stat. She ran to the room (as did 20 other nurses, no joking)...she looked at the blood and said that I was having a placental abruption, and we had to deliver immediately or we could lose both babies and me.

What happened next was nothing short of terrifying, and I have very little memory of it I think because I went into shock. I remembered to call my husband, who made it to the hospital in 10 minutes, and he called my family, who were also able to get there very quickly and saw me before I went back for surgery. I had lost a lot of blood by then, also, so I was pretty weak and not remembering much. They stabilized me before the surgery, so thank goodness I didn't have to be under GENERAL anethesia, but just the spinal epidural was enough. I'm so relieved, because at least I didn't totally miss their birth. Granted, it was the OPPOSITE of any birth plan I would have chosen, but we get handed what we get handed sometimes, and this was definitely an emergency situation for me and my little boys.

As most of you know, Baby A has had little to no amniotic fluid since 12 weeks. His prognosis was extremely poor and his chances of being even able to be resusitated after birth and intubated was very slim, given how immature and undeveloped they expected his lungs to be.

So...going into surgery, I was frozen in fear, agony, terror, sadness, grief...none of the happiness, joy, excitement I WISH I could have been feeling. All I could think about was how little they were and how they were too young. I think I cried through most of the surgery, just holding my husbands hand and crying "They're just too small, they're too young." 25 weeks 6 days...we missed 26 weeks by one stupid day.

Baby A (low-fluid baby) was born first, at 6:01 PM. Miraculously, he came out PINK. His weight was 2 pounds 2 ounces, which is very VERY good for a 26 weeker (which is what I'm considering him given that he's only one day shy of 26 weeks). Length was around 14 inches. So he is long and lean (e.g. VERY skinny). His skin is pink, though, and not translucent like I was expecting.

Baby B (normal fluid) was born at 6:02 PM, and they pulled him out of me STILL in his amniotic sac!! (I didn't get to see it but my sister, who is an L&D nurse at my hospital and was attending my section to help and support me) said that it was so cool to see his sac intact and him swimming around in it. After they burst the sac, he let out a little whimper...not a full cry, but he was thinking about it! He weighed 2 pounds exactly, and was 13 inches long.

Baby A "coded" after birth, which means that because his lungs were suffering from not having had fluid to properly develop in, he wasn't able to breathe or get enough oxygen. His heart almost stopped beating, but they gave him epinephrine (spelling?) to keep his heart beating while they continued to try to resuscitate him.

FINALLY they were able to intubate him and get him breathing regularly through 100% oxygen from the vent. His color returned to pink at that point.

Both Baby A and B are on what they call an "oscillating vent" which gives the babies tiny spurts of oxygen just a little at a time but at very quick intervals...just like lots and lots of tiny puffs of air. This is so as not to "pop" the lungs, given how fragile they are.

But the amazing part is this: THEY ARE BOTH ALIVE AND STABLE FOR NOW. : I can't believe it. Thank you GOD.

They are obviously very sick and in critical condition...but for right now, they are STABLE. I love that word. They have officially made it through the first 24 hours and are still stable.

The next few days are the most critical, and we go from there. They are tiny but absolutely perfect and beautiful. They look like tiny china dolls. I can't get over how perfect they look...I love them so much it actually breaks my heart.

I am exhausted, physically (both sleep deprivation and recovering from a c-section) and mentally and emotionally. I haven't had much time with having been hospitalized to come around the boards much, but I am so touched that folks have been thinking of us and praying for us. We can use all the prayers that we can get at this point.

My baby boy A is named Noah Peter
My baby boy B is named Ryan Matthew

So my little Noah & Ryan are fighters, just like their mommy & daddy, and while it is terrifying and heart wrenching to see them suffer, to see their tiny little perfect bodies writhing in discomfort as they fight this battle to survive...I am so in love. I have never in my life been so in love with another creature, except my husband.

Please please please pray for my tiny Noah and my itty-bitty Ryan. They are my angel-babies.

I will update when I can. For now, I again ask for prayers and apologize for being out of touch. I value each of your support and online-friendship so much!!

More soon, GOOD NEWS soon I hope!

Claire (and DH Nick, DS1 Noah, DS2 Ryan!!)

Claire , married to my hero, Nick . Our two rainbows babies are here!!! Welcome Noah Peter and Ryan Matthew, born at 25 weeks 6 days on 01/14/09 by emergency C-section!! We are in love!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2010, 06:45 AM

Congrats! Sorry things happened like they did but I hope that was the worst of it!
Old 01-16-2010, 06:50 AM

I am totally DDCC.

But I saw this on new posts, read your story and had to respond. That is so amazing. I will keep you and your DC in my prayers. What strong little spirits they must have.

Sending you all the best because it sounds like you and your family need it. What an amazing story, thank you for sharing.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:16 AM

Oh Claire!!! That is wonderful news. I'll be thinking of you and your babies, especially little Noah. You and your husband sure do have some amazing stories of beating the odds!

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:49 AM

Claire, so happy you are all (all 4 of you ) safe! We will be praying for your family over here.

Just a moment of hope - a friend of my parents' had a little boy at 25w, at a lower birth weight than your boys and he is now a bright and smiling 7yo. It can be done, and you'll do it!

Noah & Ryan

Good, strong names!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:04 AM

Best wishes from my family to yours.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 01-16-2010, 11:07 AM

((hugs)) & prayers!!

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
Old 01-16-2010, 11:58 AM

Wow! This is amazing! This is the first time I've checked in on my old ddc in a long time, and I'm so thrilled to see this. I will most certainly be keeping you and your fighters in my thoughts and prayers

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:11 PM

Wow!

DDC crashing--I'd been reading your posts and hoping that all would work out well for you and your babies. I'm so happy to hear that they're both alive and stable. Much luck and well-wishes to the three of you.

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
Old 01-16-2010, 01:12 PM

OMG. I am so glad that they're able to fight like they are! How amazing. Get lots of rest... you'll need it for when they come home

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
Old 01-16-2010, 01:30 PM

Congratulations on the birth of your two boys. I will be thinking of you and hoping that each day they get stronger and stronger.

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
Old 01-16-2010, 01:41 PM

Noah & Ryan

And Claire, you are amazing.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Old 01-16-2010, 02:09 PM

Praying for all of you hun!!!
Congratulations on the birth of your very strong and willing baby boys!
Stable is a wonderful word and I hope they stay that way!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 01-16-2010, 02:14 PM

I've been wondering about you! I'm so glad that they are beating the odds! Sounds like you've got a miracle family already well on its way! I wish you all the goodness in the world! Sounds like Noah found a great way to put on weight without even needing fluid and they have great weights! Congrats on your beautiful boys!
Old 01-16-2010, 02:16 PM

Thank you, God. I will be praying for their continued wellbeing and health.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:19 PM

Stable is a beautiful word indeed. What strong boys!

Sending congrats, hugs, and positive thoughts your way, mama!

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
Old 01-16-2010, 02:43 PM

Wow, it is so great to hear you all are doing so well! I'll be thinking of you guys and hoping for a smooth journey from here on out.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:52 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up. What a terrifying experience.

But, praise GOD, I cannot believe how big your boys are at just 25 weeks. And for twins to be that large is just doubly amazing!

Your family is in our prayers. I completely understand what you mean when you say that you love them so much, it actually hurts. Your a wonderful mama, and I'm sure they can feel your love and strength.

Just take things a day at a time, and know you have many people praying for you and your boys. I hope you recover quickly from your c-section and blood loss.

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:53 PM

wow claire!! I am so happy they are stable.... I am so happy for you and nick...you two picked beautiful names for those boys. I'm so sorry you had to have them this way, but you hardly seem to be thinking of that right now you are so in love with them. I am sending love, good vibes and lots of health vibes to you and your amazing family. RAINBOWS ...........congratulations!!

Jessicaintactlact.gif, wife to Derricklurk.gif, missing Joslyn angel3.gif, 22 weeks 06.18.08, rainbow1284.gifBaby Kai Ambrose 05.10.10 and Isla Blythe born on Thanksgiving '12 uc.jpg

Old 01-16-2010, 02:56 PM

oh, and TWO POUNDS! for twins???!! I think Clare was right about your body knowing you'll be premature and sucking all those calories for baby.

Jessicaintactlact.gif, wife to Derricklurk.gif, missing Joslyn angel3.gif, 22 weeks 06.18.08, rainbow1284.gifBaby Kai Ambrose 05.10.10 and Isla Blythe born on Thanksgiving '12 uc.jpg

Old 01-16-2010, 03:05 PM

OH mama, I'm so glad they are stable and I hope and pray everything is perfect for them and you!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Old 01-16-2010, 03:12 PM

DDCC here but I saw this on new post....

Congrats on you new little ones and I will keep you and your family in my T & P during this difficult time. If this give you any hope at all I know of a family that had a 25 weeker and just over 1 lbs. he is now almost a year old.

Mom of 2 ** Wife ** Business Owner

Old 01-16-2010, 04:05 PM

Two pounds is amazing!! I will pray for their continued progress.

Aileen, Mama to Hannah James, 4/01/07 Smartest kid I've ever known! And Gabriel Joseph, born at home 3-31-10!! Delaying and selectively vax'ing
Old 01-16-2010, 04:07 PM

From one preemie mama to another, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Stable is the best word in the English language when you're traveling the NICU road.

If you need ANYTHING please don't hesitate to ask.

What big boys! Lots of prayers coming your way.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 01-16-2010, 04:11 PM

I'm so happy for you and your boys. Hugs to you, and happy thoughts coming your way!!

Momma to born April 18, 2010!
Old 01-16-2010, 04:45 PM

for having to deal with premies and the stress that goes with it
for having two beautiful babies!

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
Old 01-16-2010, 05:15 PM

DDC. I've been following your story from the beginning. I'm so glad to hear that you have two live babies, and that they are both stable for now.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for your two little fighters.

Single mom to the Crunchy Froglets, Keith and Carlin, twin boys born 1/30/09. Frozen for 10 years, now unleashed on the world.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:19 PM

Wow...your story is amazing. Congratulations on your two incredible little boys! They certainly do sound like quite the fighters, and they have a lot of love, prayers and positive energy coming their way. I hope it won't be long before you're holding both of them in your arms at home!

Mama to DS (1/07) and waiting to meet #2 4/3/10
Old 01-16-2010, 05:54 PM

So amazing!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
Old 01-16-2010, 08:44 PM

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland

User Tag List