Evening primrose oil for ripening cervix - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are any of you using or planning to use the EPO capsules either orally or vaginally for ripening your cervix? my midwife recommends taking 3 capsules daily from the 34th week and inserting one inside the vagina at night before going to bed. when i asked if it will induce labor in any way, she said no, but she said for some women the cervix can be tight and hard even after the labor has started and using EPO may help.
#2 of 13 Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 PM

hm...this is on my homebirth supply list that i got from my midwife, but i have not gotten around to asking her what that was for. i assumed it was for postpartum, because the only thing i have heard of primrose for is my MIL who takes it for emotional support because she cries at the drop of a hat.
#3 of 13 Old 01-28-2010, 07:41 PM

I might start taking it orally around 36 weeks, but I have to say that I tried to insert it vaginally during my first pregnancy and I just couldn't deal. Everything was kind of swollen down there, and I found the whole gel cap thing way too messy. I think I did it once and then gave up. If anyone has any great tips about it, I'd be up for hearing them.

Mama to DS (1/07) and waiting to meet #2 4/3/10
#4 of 13 Old 01-28-2010, 08:50 PM

I am going to start taking EPO and drinking "Third Trimester Tea" by Earth Momma Angel Baby.

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
#5 of 13 Old 01-28-2010, 10:09 PM

definitely will be using EPO (vaginally) starting around 36 weeks! i really didn't mind it for my first pregnancy...i only put the capsules in before bed and made sure to wear a pad.

happy wife to greg and mama to owen (5/30/08). excited to meet baby #2, EDD 4/2/10.
#6 of 13 Old 01-30-2010, 06:07 PM

EPO orally and vaginally starting at 36wks.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#7 of 13 Old 01-30-2010, 07:10 PM

I've taken EPO orally from about 36 weeks on, but have never tried it vaginally before. I've known about EPO vaginally, but just have never done it. I may try it this time - I don't know.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#8 of 13 Old 02-01-2010, 04:37 PM

Hmmm, good to know. It would be nice to hear from someone that knows just what this does (details!). Or it's just one more thing to put on the research or ask the MW list!

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#9 of 13 Old 02-01-2010, 07:02 PM

I know many midwives recommend this. But my intuition questions it. When we are pregnant we do things for our health and the health of our babies. We eat right, get vitamins through food and take supplements where we feel we are lacking. We try to get exercise and keep positive emotions.

Midwives tell us to TRUST our bodies and our babies. But then they say, "Take EPO to help ripen your cervix". Huh? Maybe I'm missing something but I feel like our bodies shouldn't need help with this. I don't know that it hurts in any way. But I'm just not convinced that EVERY woman under midwifery care needs to be on this regiment.

My 2 cents.

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
#10 of 13 Old 02-01-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaAlicia View Post
I know many midwives recommend this. But my intuition questions it. When we are pregnant we do things for our health and the health of our babies. We eat right, get vitamins through food and take supplements where we feel we are lacking. We try to get exercise and keep positive emotions.

Midwives tell us to TRUST our bodies and our babies. But then they say, "Take EPO to help ripen your cervix". Huh? Maybe I'm missing something but I feel like our bodies shouldn't need help with this. I don't know that it hurts in any way. But I'm just not convinced that EVERY woman under midwifery care needs to be on this regiment.

My 2 cents.
Exactly this.

I might do it (among other things) if I'm still long and hard at 42w. Of course, I'll probably never know because my MW doesn't do vaginal checks. Soooooo, I guess my answer was nope, not doing it. I just don't really see a point.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#11 of 13 Old 02-02-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaAlicia View Post

My 2 cents.
That’s what I was thinking too when I posted this in the first place. But I have been talking to a few other friends and my Bradley instructor as well in addition to reading up on EPO. What I have learnt is that the cervix can be soft and ripe, ready for labor before labor actually begins and then its much easier for both mom and baby- the labor can be shorter since the cervix dilates more easily. But in some other moms, the cervix is hard and hasn’t thinned out , but the labor has started. This means that the mom's body has to deal with the rushes (contractions) and also work to thin out the cervix- which could in general take a longer time leading up to a prolonged labor. Using EPO during the weeks leading up to labor, causes the cervix to prepare for the task ahead without any side effects or without interfering with the body's processes. I can draw an analogy to what you have mentioned: why do we do kegels to prepare the pelvic floor and make our bodies stronger for labor- one thing is to trust our bodies, other thing is to help our bodies. Similarly taking EPO "may" (no guarantees) help the cervix to grow soft and ripe. As long as it doesn’t induce labor in anyway, I think helping my body prepare for labor this way is going to do no harm
#12 of 13 Old 02-03-2010, 06:01 AM

I'm starting EPO at 36 weeks. If I had a normal vaginal delivery last time, I might not do it. But having a long stalled labour and then a c-section last time, I want all the help I can get

Nursing a toddlerfly-by-nursing1.gifNurturing a preschooler jog.gif   

ribboncesarean.gifx2

#13 of 13 Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM

I started taking EPO orally at 36 weeks and vaginally at 38 weeks. Went to 42. I am not really concerned (for me, at least) about it putting me into labor before I'm ready! I'll do the same this time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page