Exhausted - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2010, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I literally CANNOT sleep without my husband snuggled up behind me... this is problematic as we have a 3 year old. I haven't slept more that about 5 hours in the last 3 days...

Anyone else exhausted?

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 PM

Most certainly. I can't get comfortable at night, even with a thousand pillows (it at least feels that way). I have a pregnancy wedge, a comma shaped pillow, a body pillow, and so on...no configuration of any or all seems to be doing the trick.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Old 01-28-2010, 11:05 PM

oh, SO tired! the last couple of nights i've crashed into bed, utterly exhausted, and just laid there. it's taken me an hour or more (most of the time more) to fall asleep, which is just maddening b/c i'm so tired to begin with! this is just in addition to the obvious discomfort/lack of sleep that comes with being ginormous

hang in there!

happy wife to greg and mama to owen (5/30/08). excited to meet baby #2, EDD 4/2/10.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:39 PM

Yeah it's gotten pretty bad. DH is getting ready to go out of town for 5 nights and I'm totally dreading it.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 01-28-2010, 11:50 PM

I've been getting a ridiculously small amount of sleep lately.
It's so frustrating because I'm tired all day, but the minute I actually try to sleep, I'm wide awake.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:08 AM

Same story here. I'm exhausted all day, then I lay down at night and can't sleep. I finally fall asleep and wake up an hour or two later dripping sweat. I posted awhile ago wondering if the baby furnace was going to kick in for me because I'm always cold. Well, I still freeze all day and go to bed bundled up because I'm so cold but by morning all I have left on is my underwear and socks! I feel like my mom who's in menopause with these nighttime hot flashes. After I wake up sweating I feel so gross I have a hard time falling back asleep. Then I've been waking up super early every morning and just lying there watching the clock for a couple hours until my alarm goes off. I wish I could nap during the day but we have renovations going on our house right now so they're pounding away with hammers all day. It sucks that we are all having problems sleeping because these are our last months of nighttime quiet before newborns.

Organic gardening, raising, SAHM to my precious baby girl Leyla, born 4/29/10, ten days late and after 32 hours of labor but well worth the wait!
Old 01-29-2010, 01:11 AM

I am so freaking tired as well.

Today, my DS (also 3!) was at preschool in the morning, and then he went on a playdate at a friend's house for the afternoon. I had grand plans to get stuff accomplished, but really just basically sat on the couch.

Part of the reason I'm not getting sleep is my 3 year old is suddenly taking up tons of space in our bed. We just got a new king size mattress though so I'm hoping that helps. Of course, even the most awesome bed does not help with the pregnancy insomnia. I actually get annoyed with my husband when he falls asleep 30 seconds after falling into the bed.

Mommy to two super cute kids.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:33 PM

Tell me about it...i actually slept through the night a few times this week and was ecstatic! The prob is, i still feel sooooo exhausted sometimes during the day. I really feel for those of you with more kids. I get so upset when dh doesn't come to be w/me at night---what right does he have to stay up while i go to bed w/o anyone to snuggle with?!

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
Old 01-29-2010, 02:46 PM

Count me in ladies. Between insomnia and sick kids, i'm dragging. Sleep is one of the major factors in how emotionally stable i am, so when i am sleep deprived, everyone suffers.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Old 01-29-2010, 03:00 PM

this is going to be my 1st baby. I guess I am lucky (touch wood!!!) that I sleep through the night and even if I wake up, its only for drinking water and very rarely to pee
Old 01-29-2010, 04:54 PM

I am sleeping pretty reasonable. Tossing and turning are a regular thing as well as sometimes waking for an hour in the middle of the night and having allergies. And I AM exhausted but I feel like I'm tired more because of raising three boys that hardly ever let me nap than a lack of sleep at night per se.

My problem is my husbands snoring is at awesome levels the past few months. He is very overweight and keeps gaining (an issue between us as it is) and his snoring gets worse the more weight he puts on. I literally can't sleep with him anymore and he hasn't been in our bed at night in several weeks. And scattered before that. Hopefully he loses some weight and can come back to bed in the next few months.

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
Old 01-29-2010, 05:59 PM

I'm still sleepy, even after naps. Just can't seem to catch up.

Jenica, I have to honestly say that I never slept better than the first 8-10w of DS's life. I have such miserable sleep while in the 3rd trimester (reflux, hugeness, back issues) that I remember posting to my DDC after DS was born "Is this for REAL??" I was convinced I was doing something wrong because I was sleeping so much better with a newborn than I ever did while pg. My tip to you: learn how to nurse while lying on your side, and you'll be golden.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:45 PM

I seriously don't think I've slept for eight straight hours since before my son was born...about ten years ago. I don't know if I programmed my body tojust not sleep in long stretches (I nursed almost nonstop for about 7 years) or what but I literally am lucky if I can sleep for five hours in a row. Normally I get naps in at least every other day but for some reason or other that has happened in few weeks. I am dead tired. I'm thinking of doing a sleep study once this baby is old enough. YAWN.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Jenica, I have to honestly say that I never slept better than the first 8-10w of DS's life. I have such miserable sleep while in the 3rd trimester (reflux, hugeness, back issues) that I remember posting to my DDC after DS was born "Is this for REAL??" I was convinced I was doing something wrong because I was sleeping so much better with a newborn than I ever did while pg. My tip to you: learn how to nurse while lying on your side, and you'll be golden.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for being the voice of dissension! Everyone keeps telling me to enjoy my sleep now because I won't be sleeping for a long time after the baby is born. And I'm thinking, "Enjoy my sleep now? Fat chance!" I was hoping I could do just what your saying and nurse at night lying on my side so I could doze awhile. I'll have her sleeping in a bassinet right next to the bed so it should be easy to get her. Usually, when I'm not pregnant, I can fall back asleep pretty quickly if I get woken up as long as no one makes me move too much. If that holds true for me again maybe I won't be sleep deprived It's nice to know it's possible.

Organic gardening, raising, SAHM to my precious baby girl Leyla, born 4/29/10, ten days late and after 32 hours of labor but well worth the wait!
Old 01-29-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenica View Post
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for being the voice of dissension! Everyone keeps telling me to enjoy my sleep now because I won't be sleeping for a long time after the baby is born. And I'm thinking, "Enjoy my sleep now? Fat chance!" I was hoping I could do just what your saying and nurse at night lying on my side so I could doze awhile. I'll have her sleeping in a bassinet right next to the bed so it should be easy to get her. Usually, when I'm not pregnant, I can fall back asleep pretty quickly if I get woken up as long as no one makes me move too much. If that holds true for me again maybe I won't be sleep deprived It's nice to know it's possible.

Very possible. We had DS in a bassinet by the bed for the first week or so after we got home from the hospital, but I eventually got too lazy and he came in the bed with us.

You may be fine! I remember being pleasantly surprised.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:43 PM

I, too, can generally get back to sleep quickly. So I hope there's some hope for me after this baby is born.

Right now I seem to have come up with a pillow arrangement that works for me to get something resembling a decent sleep. It's a pain in the butt to get everything arranged, but since I usually only get up once to pee, I only have to do the arranging twice a night.

My arrangement is: A pillow rolled up and stuff against the crack between the bed and the wall. A queen size down comforter folded up loosely and put on top of the rolled up pillow. My regular pillow placed in the middle of the comforter. This allows me to be slightly more upright than normal, without hurting my neck or shoulders. It's sort of a nest for my head/shoulders. Then I put a pillow with the bottom between my knees, and the top under my stomach. Then I put the body pillow wedged in behind me and then inbetween my ankles. This keeps me from rolling fully onto my back, but does allow me to roll slightly onto my back.

It's convoluted, but it works!

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 01-29-2010, 08:15 PM

I don't remember being that sleep deprived after DD1 was born. She woke up a normal amount as a newborn, but I could also nap during the day for the first month, and newborns are pretty sleepy creatures. As long as she had boob, a dry butt, and a warm mama to snuggle with, she'd nap no problem if i was drowsy. We slept in until 10, ate when we wanted to, napped when we wanted to, no one made messes and life was easy.

But yeah, that changes with a toddler and a newborn... or heaven help me, a preschooler, a toddler, and a newborn. Being sleep deprived was certainly one of the major issues with my PPD last time, so this time i am protecting my sleep like crazy. DH gets ALL the nighttime duty with the older girls, and I am setting up the house to be toddler/preschooler safe for in the morning when they can turn on the TV, eat dry cereal and let me sleep.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Old 01-29-2010, 11:49 PM

My DD was the type of newborn who slept for maybe eight hours a day in two hour bursts. She continued being a bad sleeper for ever. Even now at three she wakes up a few nights a week. I'm trying to sleep well prior to this baby being born, but I've had to deal with a bunch of family drama in the past few weeks that have left me unable to turn off my brain at night. Luckily DD will allow me little catnaps while she does puzzles or reads books during the day.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:54 PM

I'm at the point where I've got three pillows under my head plus a body pillow to wrap around myself. It helps a little with the reflux, but not much.

I'm realizing that this constant reflux means I don't do the 3rd trimester very gracefully.

User Tag List