Feeling awful and don't know why... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I've been having a lot of dizziness and lightheadedness off and on for the past couple of months. My last appointment was a week ago and I told my doctor about it again. She said my bloodwork showed I was "far from anemic" and my glucose test was fine. My blood pressure's been fine all along. She thought I might just be tired/doing too much and left it at that.

Well, this past week this symptom has increased for me so that I feel dizzy/lightheaded almost constantly. I've also had a very mild headache off and on that does seem to recede when I take Tylenol. On Tuesday I had the nurse at the school where I work check my BP because I was feeling so bad, and it was fine. Yesterday, I called my dr's office and when the doctor (not my doctor, another in the practice) called me back, she just said that it can be normal to feel this way around the 30 week mark and I should try to slow down, drink more fluids etc. She also said that even if I'm not anemic, I might feel better if I start taking an iron supplement anyway. I realized then that I'd skipped my prenatal vitamins all week, so I started taking them again yesterday.

I've pretty much been resting in bed since Thursday evening and I still feel just as bad. I don't know what to do or why I'm feeling this way. I don't feel like I can really take care of my 3 year old or go to work on Monday feeling like this. I never felt this way in my first pregnancy. I'll call the doctor again on Monday if I'm still feeling like this, but it's starting to worry me....has anyone felt this way or does anyone have an idea of what this could be??

Mama to DS (1/07) and waiting to meet #2 4/3/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 05:03 PM

From my pregnancy journal...

Quote:
Saturday, November 07, 2009

Yesterday morning, at 8am, I woke up to go to the bathroom, sat up on the side of the bed, and suddenly the whole world started spinning! I couldn’t stand up! I ended up getting Shawn to help me to the bathroom before my bladder burst, then I immediately called my doctor’s office. I was able to make an appointment for 11am the same day.

At 10am, I couldn’t take the dizziness anymore, and we left to go to my doc’s office. I could barely walk through the door! They got me right back and ruled out vertigo, flu, anemia, migraine, blood pressure issues (BP 116/68), pre-eclampsia, blood sugar problems (Blood sugar 101), dehydration, sinus infection, inner ear problems, and vision problems.

Then my favorite nurse practitioner in the whole world, Tanya Spoon, said: "I don't know why you are dizzy!" The best answer a scientist can give is I don't know... glad she wasn't just guessing. She suggested I call my OB and/or go to labor and delivery to see if it's a problem with the pregnancy. If not, I should go home and lie down and wait for it to pass.

I got a hold of my OB’s office in Tacoma and the on-call doc was thoroughly befuddled. She took my number and went to go talk to the perinatologist upstairs. The peri suggested that it might be LOW blood pressure that happens when you change positions. They want to put me on Meclizine for the dizziness and see me on Thursday for my regular OB checkup.

A friend suggested that I might be having post-acute withdrawal symptoms from switching from Metformin to Insulin… so I called back up to my OB and asked if that might be the case.

After being severely dizzy, to the point of not being able to move without feeling like I was falling over (had to have Shawn type for me online) for !!!!5 HOURS!!!! My OB’s office suggested I lay on my back on the edge of the bed and slide my upper body onto the floor while keeping my hips on the bed... quite a feat, but I was willing to do anything at that point... and the dizziness stopped, instantly.

Apparently I was experiencing "basal vagal syndrome" from baby sitting on my nerves. This syndrome occurs in people when they have a pinched nerve or bear down during sex, birthing, bowel movements, etc. It can cause extremely low blood pressure, or in some cases, severe dizziness and nausea. I was so happy to have the dizziness gone! And I was laughing because the doc said, “Get used to it, baby will be getting on your nerves for the rest of your life!” Probably so…

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
Old 01-30-2010, 05:51 PM

Have they checked your urine for protein? That could be an indicator of pre-ecclampsia even before your BP goes up.

What riverbeauty suggested looks possible, too. I wonder if that's my issue sometimes... sometimes I feel like she gets in certain positions and I get weak and dizzy feeling. Sitting against a nerve could explain it.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 01-30-2010, 06:19 PM

Try upping your intake of salts. Dizzyness/lightheadedness especially on standing can be an indicator of weak adrenals (low blood pressure often accompanies this as well). You can take a high mineral sea salt in water or buy some salt pills at the vitamin store and salt your food to taste (preferrably with that same hight mineral sea salt, like Real Salt or Celtic Sea Salt). If you need the salt, it won't taste that bad in water. If it doesn't help at all, you know that's not your problem and you can just stop.

<>< Alison
Old 01-30-2010, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. My urine is tested at every appointment and the last one was a week ago. I'm feeling freaked out that there is something going on with my blood pressure or that it could be a sign of pre-e, but my bp and urine have been totally fine so far every time they've been checked. I don't have any swelling, and my headaches have been really slight and definitely go away after I take Tylenol.

I don't know, maybe it does have to do with the baby being in a certain position...I think I'm getting enough salt, but who knows...I just know that I can't really take feeling this way anymore.

Guess I'll just keep resting and see how I feel on Monday morning....ugh!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:17 PM

If it really is your adrenals, you won't be getting enough salt unless you're really trying to supplement.

<>< Alison
Old 02-01-2010, 05:45 PM

I have this once in awhile, and I had it big time at around 20 weeks. I posted on here thinking maybe it was anaemia, but the Dr. basically said what a PP said: increase salt intake and water intake. Try to stay cool. So far so good.

Mommy to DS 6/08, Expecting :
4/10 by c-section.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:12 PM

Another thought--could you have fluid in your ears or swollen sinuses? I have been plagued with sinus issues my entire life and that is exactly how I feel when they are really bad. My nose isn't even stuffy half of the time, the sinuses are just swollen.

I feel really light headed and weak, and I have a mild headache (that sometimes increases to crazy throbbing, sometimes doesn't.) When it starts I take Hyland's sinus tablets, use the neti pot, and rest a lot. It's so miserable, and it can go on for weeks sometimes.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 02-01-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I just got back from L&D where they ran every test imaginable on me to try to figure out what this is. I called my doctor this morning to tell her that I'd been resting all weekend with no improvement, and since she was already at the hospital she said to come in because they could do a more thorough workup there than at the office.

Everything checked out completely fine-blood pressure, blood sugar, EKG, and baby was really active with lots of fluid, strong heartbeat, etc. They really checked out everything. My doctor thinks I may be fighting off some sort of virus and wants me to stay in bed for another couple of days.

Pepper44-My dr. brought up the sinus thing, too. I don't feel very congested, although I do have a bit of really mild nasal congestion. (Which I remember having all through my first pregnancy, without having an actual cold or anything) But I agree, this does feel similar to the time I had a sinus infection. I hadn't really considered it because I didn't think I was congested, but I guess it's possible that's what it could be. I wonder if I should try the neti pot? It couldn't hurt right? I've never done it before. Also, are the Hyland's sinus tablets OK for pregnancy?

Old 02-01-2010, 08:01 PM

Even if you feel miserable it must be a relief to know everything with your body checks out ok!

My midwife specifically recommended Hyland's sinus tablets, so I'm sure they are safe! She told me most homeopathic treatments are safe for pregnancy.

The neti pot is wonderful! I put a little salt and hot water in mine, and if I think there's an infection brewing somewhere in my sinuses then I add 2 drops of grapefruit seed extract. I use the neti pot 2-3 times a day when my sinuses are bothering me.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

User Tag List