Weekly thread, Jan 31-Feb 7 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sehbub and dena, ok, could be nerve-related.... that helps a lot for some reason, thank you so much! i was worrying last night about the varicose veins some women get in the genital area - that sounds TERRIBLE. i'm trying to figure out exactly where the pain is - it does seem to change, sometimes worse, especially when i have to pee... but i haven't felt a lot of cervical pressure from baby or anything. i'm calling my acupuncturist today, but feeling a little ambivalent about it. it was very relaxing last time, but i didn't feel any actual benefits. but i wasn't having any discomfort either. i dunno...

i wonder if boob size/changes run in families. i'm a little bigger than my mom and sister, but both of them had similar changes - going up just one cup size, for nursing. sooo... i'm hoping i don't pop out huge! yike!

ivy, i don't see how there's any way that you will struggle with PPD like you did before. you are in such a good place, preparation-wise, so that if it does come, you have what you need in place.

ericka, if jennings' condition stabilizes, would they wait longer, or go ahead at 33 weeks? i'm so glad you are on bedrest now.

greentea, are the tremors an adjustment to the meds? so sorry

jsh, i totally hear you about becoming a mom. sometimes i feel like, wait, did i really want to do this? our life was so perfect before! the surreal/real whirlwind can be so disconcerting! i definitely think the pain i've been feeling has taken some of the "fun" edge off, heh. last night i said to my husband, you know, my body will never be the same again. did we really process that before we got pregnant (of course not, how could one)? he said, well, no one's body is ever the same. ok, i get what he's saying, but !NOT! the best thing to say to your wife who's limping around the kitchen feeling like she just got kicked in the hoo-haa.

an aside - anyone going out to see movies these days? we saw "the single man" the other night. wow. beautiful.

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#182 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 12:20 PM

i just wanted to share these two pictures of our little guy- since we moved i got to have one more ultrasound covered by insurance.. and i just think he is so cute already. and he is definitely boy- no denying it! (i wont post that pic though haha). i can't believe i will be 34 weeks tomorrow.. and he was measuring at 35 weeks already, so maybe i won't have an april baby after all.. but i have no regrets about hanging out in this ddc because i really do love you ladies!

anyway, pics..

i can't believe how realistic this one is- (tilt head to the right haha)
nose and lips

cute little profile

can time speed up just a little please?

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#183 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 12:42 PM

PH- everday he is in me is now a risk he could die. Because my fluid *could* get lower and we may not know because I am not in the hospital, there could be more dangerous complications and I am 30 mins from the hospital.
The percentage for him dying is still 50-60%. I am comfortable with 32wks I *think* because I have been there once...they don't expect my fluid to even last another week..
He isn't growing at all, has no room and really 4-5cm of fluid is not that much. I can't get any cute u/s pictures because he has no fluid for them to get them and he is bent in half like a v..poor guy. he has his back towards mine facing out and then his legs are bent up over his head. I cry when they do the u/s because he just has nothing and my stomach is slowly deflating(IMO) Dr said it's just a baby in there now.

I had a horrible nightmare. I dreamt that I died after my c/s. The scary thing is- what's happening and why why does no one know? could it effect the c/s? then a friend posted a link to an article on Fb where is said it was more dangerous to deliver a baby in California than in Kuwait or Bosnia. Brilliant. http://www.alternet.org/investigations/145524/it

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#184 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Pepper, my nursing experience was exactly the same as you! I looked ridiculous and engorged, and slept in a sports bra with two prefolds stuffed into it. I'm normally about a D, and topped out around a G/H (which they don't make in my circumfrence). It was ridiculous, and because of being crazy boobilicious all of a sudden, I had to be extra careful with leaking because I knew the 13yo boys (and a couple of the gals) were always looking at my boobs. I was always freaking out about leaking.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeearing up for snow! I was stupid and put off grocery shopping this week, and now I have to go out. Luckily we don't need milk, bread, or eggs.
It would be so hard working with that age group while your boobs are so huge and leaky! I would embarrass myself a lot. I remember how quickly middle schoolers are to make fun of anything body related.

I seriously looked like Dolly Parton, except a taller version. I don't know how large breasted women survive on a daily basis. Having them rub against my arms and practically smack me in the face if I ran...it was very frustrating! Plus I could only sleep flat on my back, and those boobs were HEAVY.

We lived with my in-laws at the time and it was so awkward because I couldn't just walk around without being dressed and presentable, which was nearly impossible with Gigantor Boobs. I couldn't even fit in any of my shirts or DH's large shirts!! I spent a lot of time hormonally crying over it, lol.

My DH couldn't even properly enjoy them, he kept getting squirted in the eye.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#185 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeearing up for snow! I was stupid and put off grocery shopping this week, and now I have to go out. Luckily we don't need milk, bread, or eggs.

Good thing, too, because when I went yesterday they were completely out of eggs!

SuzieQ (27), wife to my wonderful husband of 5 years, mom to a beautiful baby boy born 3.28.10
#186 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 01:01 PM

Ericka..
i wish there was more i could say or do... just keep hanging in there..

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#187 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 01:35 PM

Pepper - your estimated blood loss sounds low/normal. Your hgb isn't normal. I wonder if your EBL is really off. You shouldn't get a hgb that low without either being seriously anemic before birth or bleeding (probably way) more than about 800cc. It's been studied and proven that practitioners underestimate blood loss (while patients overestimate), but the numbers aren't adding up even if you double their estimate. Is there a second set of numbers somewhere, a 3rd stage estimate or a TEBL or something?

My boobs don't get a lot bigger postpartum, but I do have oversupply and leak like crazy, and tend to get mastitis several times each baby. It seems like the leakage and oversupply issues have been less dramatic and over more quickly each time, so I'm hoping for an easier time this time. Still, even with my third, I was sleeping over a water-resistant cover and toddler prefolds for a couple of months so that when I leaked I could just wash one thing and not the whole bed. Poor babies in a pool of milk all night...they never seemed to mind...

I am WAY not a fan of the nursing bras that just expose your nipple and an inch of real estate surrounding it. They feel itchy and uncomfortable and the nipple always deforms to the shape... I have bras that I love now and I can't get my boobs out of them without constricting ducts, so they're not going to work for nursing...bummer. Thanks for the recs, I particularly appreciate knowing that there's a normal sports bra that might work.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#188 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
They also say that I lost 350-375 mL of blood. Is that a lot? My hgb was 6 right after birth and I remember I felt terrible. I also had retained placenta--DH says that the midwife pulled on the cord but there is nothing about that in the records aside from a note that gauze swipes were used to removed placenta until gauze came out clean. According to the records it was 23 minutes from birth to final removal of all placenta, and they also somehow snuck a shot of pitocin into my leg during all that.

Pepper, 350-375 is actually quite minimal blood loss. My last birth, I lost 1300cc. That iron level is scary low, though. What supplements are you on this time?

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#189 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 02:04 PM

This time my levels are good, I think. In the first trimester my hgb (that's the right thing, isn't it?) was 14. I've been taking Floradix on and off throughout this pregnancy. I got Rainbow Lite prenatal vitamins, the kind that are supposed to be mini-pills, but I still can't swallow them even when I cut them in 3 pieces. My DH takes Flintstones vitamins, which I know are shit for vitamins, but I've been taking them too out of desperation. I figure it's better than nothing, at least depending on who you ask, lol.

I also have alfalfa pills to take but I can't swallow them. I'm so terrible at swallowing pills, and it's even worse with my pregnancy induced gag reflex! The alfalfa pills smell so so bad too, I feel like I'm trying to eat hamster food. I really want to take them, I keep trying and gagging.

I'm planning on taking Floradix and chlorophyll daily starting in a few weeks because I don't want to be that anemic ever again! I felt so bad. I'm also going to start drinking my RRL tea again, I just keep forgetting to start the habit since I normally don't drink tea.

I think during my last (miscarried) pregnancy and my DD's pregnancy I had a parasite. I had it for several years and I just got rid of it right before getting pregnant this time. (The worms actually came out. Herbalist said it sounded like tape worm segments.) So that might have contributed to being anemic. I also didn't take a single supplement or vitamin with my last pregnancy and I ate fast food constantly...I was 19 and I just didn't know better! No one told me! We have since jumped on the very healthy eating bandwagon, for the most part. I know so much more this time around, and thankfully I no longer have diarrhea all the time. (Because the parasite has been evicted!!)

I don't know about the blood loss during my birth. I assumed I had lost a lot more...I do know I felt very weak and dizzy in the weeks before the birth, so it's quite possible I was already anemic due to my bad health and the parasite.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#190 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 02:06 PM

By the way, I also really need to get some vitamin D. Remember a few weeks ago when we were discussing it? I looked up the emulsified (?) kind you all were talking about and I was going to buy some, but now I can't remember what it was called!

We tried cod liver oil, but with all the confusion over what kind is best to take and how pure it is, I'm unsure of it. It also makes my DH feel sick and burp, so he won't take it...but he will take those drops he says.

#191 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 02:08 PM

Pepper-

I take Flinstones, too, because I can't swallow big pills. I can usually manage to get them down for a few days, but eventually my body revolts and won't swallow them anymore.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#192 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
Pepper-

I take Flinstones, too, because I can't swallow big pills. I can usually manage to get them down for a few days, but eventually my body revolts and won't swallow them anymore.
At least it's not just me! The ones with extra vitamin C taste really good, that's why my DH always takes them, lol.

#193 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 02:44 PM

My girls take the gummy vitamins, and I have an adult version: http://sliceoflife.com/ They taste like candy. I choke down my prenatals (Rainbow Life) on the days i can, but if i can't (and there have been a lot of those days this pregnancy) then i take my candy. I can find them at Costco occasionally.

DH left at 4am for a work trip (he'll be home this afternoon) and I couldn't fall back asleep after he left. We have a field trip to the fire station later - must.stay.awake. :yawning

Oh, and apparently another bonus of cloth breastpads: the kids can use them as playfood pancakes.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#194 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
I just thought you should all be aware that tomorrow is World Nutella Day.
Mmmmmmmmm..... I used to keep a jar of the Rapunzel version of this hidden in the refrigerator where only I knew about it I'd have a spoon full whenever I needed it LOL If DH calls to see if I need anything from the coop on his way home, this is on my list!

My DD takes the Nordic Berries and they are tasty so I sometimes eat one too I don't really have any problems taking my New Chapter prenatals though.

http://www.vitacost.com/Nordic-Naturals-Nordic-Berries

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#195 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 05:43 PM

HOLY DEAR GOD!!! PARASITE?!?!?!?!?

*is dead*

14 is a GREAT level! I'm sure you'll be feeling much better this time.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#196 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 06:58 PM

Mmm...World Nutella Day sounds like something I would like to celebrate!

Yep a parasite. I think I got when I stayed in Mexico. I ate some...concerning...things. I had to be polite.

I suddenly started getting random bouts of diarrhea and extreme intestinal cramps every few weeks and the doctor said it was IBS. It got worse and worse over several years, and after I had my miscarriage we TTC again for 7 months without success. (The first two pregnancies happened on the first try.)

I went to an herbalist to see if he had any remedies for my constant bloating, random horrible diarrhea, reoccurring anemia, and some other miseries, and any recommendations about TTC. He said I had parasite symptoms and gave me a scary tincture to try. It made everything inside of my intestines clean out, to the point of water. Including these little things that looked like long slightly curled grains of rice. I only looked and saw them once, the rest of the times I was too afraid, lol.

It also made me feel very high, like I was walking in a world made of marshmallows. The herbalist said that was from the toxins the parasite released as it died.

The second dose I took two weeks later to kill eggs also resulted in a major intestinal clean out, but I didn't get the high feeling. I also didn't look...I didn't want to see any more wormy things, if there were any left.

And two weeks after that I ovulated and got pregnant right away with this baby! Oh and I haven't had diarrhea since the second dose of tincture!!!

If you go to Mexico don't eat the fried intestines. After this experience I think I'll just be rude next time and decline.

#197 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 07:00 PM

I love my midwife

Any doubts that I had are now totally gone! She hugged me as soon as I came in and said "Don't worry about the financial stuff! I like you and want to be with you when you give birth." I felt like a huge load was gone! It looks like we can work something out. My insurance is going to cover this as an out of network which leaves me with a bit over what we could pay but she said we can make arrangements.

Bad news is that my blood pressure was high, and I was leaking a little bit of protein. We talked about some ways to get the blood pressure down with diet, and some homopathic recommendations. She wants to try this first before putting me on any kind of bed rest (trying to keep this baby in for 37 weeks). My weight was bad too And the baby is measuring at 32 weeks (I'm 29). She felt like the baby was pretty big for its gestational age which I though too (it was like it suddenly got a lot heavier in there over the last couple of weeks). So we'll be watching that. She was totally supportive though of finding some natural solutions.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

#198 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 07:28 PM

nikirj- If you know anyone who can sew, you can convert regular bras into nursing bras with full-exposure cups pretty darn easily.
If you don't have a friend who could help out, a tailor should be able to do it, too. A tailor could probably even get proper nursing bra clasps, instead of just using swimsuit hooks-- not that the swimsuit hooks are a big problem. I used them last time and they worked fine.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#199 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 PM

GreenTeaGinger - I love your midwife too. What an awesome spirit to know that her calling is so much more than just delivering babies. I really hope you can work together with her to find a solution to your current concerns.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#200 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 08:39 PM

I may have just eaten a spoonful of Nutella.

It's even possible that I ate two.

But the container tells me it's part of a complete breakfast, so I drank some orange juice to wash it down.

#201 of 231 Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Had a midwife appointment today, and the midwife and her student spent probably 20-30 minutes trying to figure out what position Sprout's in and where his heartbeat was!

Apparently he's in some really balled-up, convoluted position -- definitely head down, but mostly over on one half of my stomach? I've wanted to avoid the doppler, but we've had to resort to it every appointment because no one can hold on to the heartbeat -- with two different types of fetoscopes! Everytime they find it, Sprout pushes away. It doesn't help that my placenta is on the front and whooshes away over top of everything.

32 weeks! How does he have room to run away?!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#202 of 231 Old 02-06-2010, 02:52 AM

well my fluid today was the same, but the Dr. doesn't feel I am stable enough/jennings is stable enough to go without monitoring over the weekend :/
with daily u/s, I thought I would ask yesterday if I could try for a 3D..she wasn't sure we could as they need fluid to do 3D's..she did try http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76...jennings3d.jpg

poor guy is so smashed..I cried.
The Dr. I saw today makes me feel so iffy about things. The other Dr. wants to take him @ 32wks next week cause if my fluid dropped more and I didn't know, he could die.
Well the Dr. today said it is worth the gamble to him just because the NST tests show he is happy in there. My stomach is bruising more and I am in severe pain...but this is my sons life he is "gambling" with. He said being a preemie is more of a risk..I feel so...confused? I mean I asked him what if my water broke? he said I may not know because it is so low. I said would I be hospitalized? he said no, I would keep coming back for monitoring? how come that doesn't sound right to me?

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#203 of 231 Old 02-06-2010, 03:15 AM

Ericka- that's tough to try to sort things out when you're getting such mixed messages from the doctors. I would be just as confused so I don't have any advice. But it is really great to hear that despite all of the uncertainty and risk, right now he is healthy and happy and doing well.

Shanti- treehugger.gif Momma to Astrid Mathildestillheart.gif (3/14/10) and expecting a new addition stork-suprise.gif (3/27/12)!

#204 of 231 Old 02-06-2010, 03:33 AM

I am really not in a gambling mood I know ALL risks of a preemie..however, the "we don't know what is going on" factor and really low fluid -all I know is 50-60% of being still born seems to be a HUGE RISK. I don't like how he words it..he said my fluid could go tonight, he could die and tomorrow the Dr. would say we should have delivered yesterday....gee, comforting. The other Dr. said it's too risky and he didn't feel comfortable risking his life like that with such low fluid..I wanna plug my ears and go "lalalalalalalalalalalalala"
His NST's look great though, so I guess that's reassuring and on the u/s I can see him blinking...he had hiccups so he passed his BPP. I feel so relieved that the bleeding on his brain has stopped and that he is not anemic.

TTC #3

#205 of 231 Old 02-06-2010, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
Had a midwife appointment today, and the midwife and her student spent probably 20-30 minutes trying to figure out what position Sprout's in and where his heartbeat was!

32 weeks! How does he have room to run away?!
Heh that happened to me today as well. Of course I had to pee the whole time she was poking around:P And this one was transverse last week, I swear. It hurt across my belly and I kept getting horizontal pokes. Luckily while I was sleeping there was some turning but I too wonder how on earth the blueberry is moving around in there.

Erika: ((((Hugs)))). Can you assert what you'd like to happen? Which dr. do you trust more? It does seem like it would be a lot easier on you if they actually got together and discussed things. Sending pvs your way for the best outcome for Jennings.

P+H: The tremors are likely a side-effect of the meds as was the slurry speech. Luckily it doesn't seem to effect him during the day. He hasn't had any seizure activity since starting the meds which is awesome. For awhile he he was having partials every other day.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

#206 of 231 Old 02-06-2010, 03:45 AM

Ericka, what a crappy, crappy place for you to be. I don't even know at all what I would do in your situation, so all I can offer you is my sympathy and my prayers.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#207 of 231 Old 02-06-2010, 04:12 AM

Ericka- what a tough spot to be in. Hope they can do what's best for Jennings and least stressful for you. I wouldn't like the whole gambling scenario, either. How frustrating and scary.

AFM- baby flipped tonight. From head down to transverse and then back I think. It hurt like nothing else, though!

My best friend called me tonight. She was pretty tipsy, but we still got to talk for a while. I've been generally avoiding people for a while now. Especially her because not only can I not hide my depression from her, but we tend to fight when one of us is pregnant and hormonal. She knows this and has given me my space. So glad she called. It felt good to talk to her about our lives. Of course now I've let my guard down and am sorting here trying to not cry for no reason. I can't wait for march and sun and my hormones getting back to normal.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#208 of 231 Old 02-06-2010, 12:55 PM

Well...I am going to see when the other Dr. is going to be working and see if I can see him? Would that be out of line and stepping on toes?

So everyday I wake up and have a pretty fast normal routine now..shower, dress, pack, eat, care for animals, leave.
I have to make sure my bags are packed and ready everyday...

today I am going to rebellious and I am not going to pack or shower...I want to be lazy.

I am going to come home and play my new Wii game Super Mario Brothers Wii!!! see bedrest CAN be fun.

TTC #3

#209 of 231 Old 02-06-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
Well...I am going to see when the other Dr. is going to be working and see if I can see him? Would that be out of line and stepping on toes?

So everyday I wake up and have a pretty fast normal routine now..shower, dress, pack, eat, care for animals, leave.
I have to make sure my bags are packed and ready everyday...

today I am going to rebellious and I am not going to pack or shower...I want to be lazy.

I am going to come home and play my new Wii game Super Mario Brothers Wii!!! see bedrest CAN be fun.
Ericka, I think it is ABSOLUTELY okay to ask to see whichever dr you like better.

#210 of 231 Old 02-06-2010, 01:49 PM

I agree with pp Ericka. It's your pregnancy and you need to see who you feel comfortable with and who you trust esp. in a situation like this.

The only reason I'd ever want a Wii is for Super Mario brothers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page