Exercise that helped my pelvic/pubic pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-03-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been having progressively worse pelvic/pubic pain for the last 3 weeks. My husband's primary care doctor is an osteopath (does regular family practice plus musculoskeletal manipulation), so I went in for a visit yesterday.

She did a bit of pushing and pulling and stretching, but emphasized an exercise that DH and I could do at home. I saw real improvement after my visit -- the pain isn't completely gone, but I'm not wincing or whimpering or involuntarily grabbing my crotch in pain (always fun in public!).

Let me try to describe it so maybe it can help someone else.

First, lay on your back, knees bent and up in the air. Feet not together, but not far apart. Just comfortable. Have your DH put one hand on the outside of each knee. For a 3-count, you push your knees apart against his hands, and he pushes inward so that, even though you're straining, your knees don't move much. Relax. Do 2 more 3-counts.

Then, spread your knees further apart. Have your DH use his forearm to brace them apart -- the palm of a hand against the inside of one knee, the outside of his elbow against the inside of your other knee. Push your knees together for a 3-count. Relax, do 2 more 3-counts. This exercise I can feel a bit of stretch/pain in my pelvic bone, but it gets better with each 3-count.

I do those with DH about twice a day. I've been able to get in and out of my car without crying out, and flip over in bed at night without terrible pain. I hope it works for someone else, too!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#2 of 12 Old 02-03-2010, 11:17 PM

I will certainly try this. I've had pelvic pain since about 20 weeks. I also thought stretching my hamstrings, squatting for 30 secs in several reps, and anything else I can do to stretch my pelvis helped. It is definitely WORSE the more I'm on my feet. I can only do about an hour of errands at a time without feeling a significant amount of pain.

What causes all the pain? Is it just your pelvic bone shifting?

DS1: Noah Christopher 4.9.10, 6lbs, 14oz, 20in-And still Nursing!!  

TTC #2

#3 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 02:37 AM

I'll definitely give these a try. My flareups started at 14 weeks this time!

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#4 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjuanja View Post

What causes all the pain? Is it just your pelvic bone shifting?
It is the ligament that joins the two halves of your pubic bone (which apparently isn't one bone, but two halves) stretching and sometimes getting out of alignment and also all the surrounding muscles trying to compensate. With me it's my inner thigh muscles that are really hurting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphys...is_dysfunction

Thanks for sharing your exercise, jenfl!!!

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#5 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 03:44 AM

Dang, if only hubby were here!! LOL!! That's good info, now I just have to find someone to help me do it!

Aileen, Mama to Hannah James, 4/01/07 Smartest kid I've ever known! And Gabriel Joseph, born at home 3-31-10!! Delaying and selectively vax'ing
#6 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunningmama View Post
It is the ligament that joins the two halves of your pubic bone (which apparently isn't one bone, but two halves) stretching and sometimes getting out of alignment and also all the surrounding muscles trying to compensate. With me it's my inner thigh muscles that are really hurting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphys...is_dysfunction

Thanks for sharing your exercise, jenfl!!!
Ahh, I've been trying to find someone else with inner thigh pain, to see if they call it SPD or not. My pelvis itself only hurts occasionally, but the inner thigh pain is awful.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#7 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 12:10 PM

I do basically the same exercise for a cystocele but I just use a child outside ball. The kind of ball you would play dodge ball with.

Pillow under my butt, feet and knees raised slightly, squeeze the ball ten times for a count of 3.

Student and SAHM to 6 little people. Some by birth, some through adoptionheart-1.gif , some through foster care
#8 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 12:48 PM

Thanks!! i just started getting this pain this week and it sure sucks! I thought yoga would help, but think i stretched too much and it was worse...DH came home to me last night sitting on the couch w/a bag of frozen green beans on my crotch
Cant wait to try these excercises

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#9 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 01:20 PM

I have SPD and I do similar exercises after my chiropractor adjusts me. I do them in a sitting position. I put a thick pillow between my knees and squeeze in and then I use an elastic exercise band around my knees and push out against that. My chiropractor was amazed how long my adjustments lasted (2 weeks) and I really think it was the exercises. I heard that they strengthen the muscles that support the pelvis.

Organic gardening, raising, SAHM to my precious baby girl Leyla, born 4/29/10, ten days late and after 32 hours of labor but well worth the wait!
#10 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 11:48 PM

would somebody mind describing the pubic part of the pain? i'm having soft tissue pain in my crotchial zone, and can't figure out why! no hip/joint pain i don't think, but definitely lower back/gluteal muscular pain too.

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#11 of 12 Old 02-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace+Hope View Post
would somebody mind describing the pubic part of the pain? i'm having soft tissue pain in my crotchial zone, and can't figure out why! no hip/joint pain i don't think, but definitely lower back/gluteal muscular pain too.
For me, it feels like the pubic bone in bruised-like if you were to press on it or when they take measurements since thats where they place the tape measure-ouch. It also kindda radiates around that area, but mostly just upon movement then (though some days the pubic bone hurts nonstop). Like, any separating of the legs gives me pain in the pubic bone as well as inner thighs. The inner thigh pain is maybe more like your soft tissue pain (?), but also feels like it's in the muscles (kinda like if you did a straddle split too far and are recovering from it). I also have the lower back pain, but chiro has really helped that

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#12 of 12 Old 02-05-2010, 02:55 PM

Thank you! I'm going to start these.

My midwife also mentioned that lots of pelvic rocking should help. I've been doing yoga cat/cow and I think that is basically the same. Gotta get this babe in a good position again! I didn't think I had SPD but maybe I do - definitely feels like a massive bruise of the pelvic bone and sometimes it is very painful to walk (of yeah, midwife wants me to get more walking in which I know is good but dang it is tough right now! ouch!).

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page