Weekly thread, Feb 7-14 - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 345 Old 02-13-2010, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ericka, Jennings is beautiful! OMG, what a perfect tiny little person! Can you complain to a hospital administrator about where you're being stashed and see if something happens? Or would they have discharged you if Jennings wasn't there (in which case it could be seen as "doing you a favor" even if it's making you miserable)? I hate that in many hospitals the moms aren't seen as important enough in the NICU babies' recovery to facilitate them being nearby. In a lot of more modern peds IC units there are dedicated rooms where kids are treated and parents can room in. Why this isn't being done in the NICU is beyond me; I have many suspicions about why but it's hard to believe them...

Hang in there Amanda's cervix!

AFM, I continue to be befuddled by my own belly and can't figure baby's position. It's driving me a little nuts because it's actually one of the midwifery skills I'm really good at (determining position)...of course, the landmarks are WAY wrong because I can't get my hands to come from the side the way I would for a client and everything feels totally different. I'm surprised by how much so.

We finally got our tax returns, paid what needed to be paid, and made a 2010 budget. I will need to go back to work fairly quickly after this babe is born because we're looking at a negative cash flow situation (=putting things on credit cards we just paid off) until I do. Freaking frustrating. I'm unwilling to leave a baby at home for the amount of time it takes to do a labor/birth, which limits my client base to people who don't mind me being there with a baby strapped to my chest. If I had planned better I could be going to births now, since I feel pretty good and all, but I was so miserable in early pregnancy that I cut everything off and didn't set anything up.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#332 of 345 Old 02-13-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
ETA: I meant to tell you this story! DS and I almost were seriously injured today. We were coming back from my organizational raid at Target and I was carrying him and a couple bags to the kitchen door, which has a bit of an awning. I was admiring our crazy icicles as I unlocked the door, when I heard a thump, looked up, and saw a roof-ful of ice and snow coming down at us! I threw DS into the house and jumped through the doorway just in time as 3-4 ft of snow came crashing down right in front of the door.

I almost peed myself! We're completely trapped in the house now until DH comes home with the shovel (in the back of his car, just in case) and digs us out, as that was our one shoveled exit. At least we're alive, though. I mean, wow. A couple of seconds earlier and we would have been in the middle of the walkway, instead of under the relative protection of the awning.

So, PSA: watch your roofs if you have lots of snow!
while on vaca in OR my mom said this to us all the time and WOWEEE it was exciting to see the snow just slide off the roof but it does look like it would cause a lot of damage if you were under it! by golly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace+Hope View Post
dhinderliter, who are you buying pads from on etsy?

afm, had our MW appt today. i'm very disappointed that my BP did not come down, but went up a little actually from last time . i'm doing so much diet-wise, and taking cal-mag, and exercising! really concerned it will just keep inching up. my CPM said she's really not worried - they don't risk out, and she's attended high BP births before. she said if it keeps going up, we'll talk more about placental abruption and BP rates that would make for transfer. she also recommended talking to my acupuncturist about herbal remedies next week.
This is the pads i'm buying from
etsy. I just picked on price since i have no preference on seller. Well...i haven't bought them yet but that's whats on my registry...lol. The size is good (some were barely 3 inches) and looks thin but absorbent enough for a normal day for me. Plus contoured so no lumps in the bra.

Didn't River say that cucumbers were supposed to help with swelling? I've been eating more of them and the slight swelling in my feet i had from sitting in chairs a lot has gone away. I can eat a whole one plain though (no salt, or cooking etc and about half the skin on) for no reason. I bought a HUGE jar of applesauce a few days ago and opened it last night...and just ate it right out of the jar...anyways it has some good potassium in it (1/2 c has 5% DV) and the calories are extremely low so you can eat a whole bunch and not screw up your cal intake. YUM! Funny though I was trying to figure out what the heck nutritional value the sauce has (hahaha the sauce...it's not a drug!) and it looks like it was pretty useless but they put absorbic acid in it so vit c is high and the only other thing was potassium! So good enough...the c will fight off the colds hanging around here for the past 2 weeks and the potassium for leg cramps (or swelling, or low cal snack).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantiani View Post
P&H- I'm feeling you on the blood pressure stress. I was hoping my mw's last reading was a fluke (130/80 up from 120's/70 last month) so I started monitoring it at home. It seems to be slowly continuing to drift upward (142/78 last night and 128/86 today). I'm eating well, I'm off caffeine, I do my weekly yoga and walk a bit every day.

It's really frustrating to feel like your actions aren't affecting it, isn't it? I feel very out of control watching it and not being able to stop it. Of course, the stress of THAT isn't helping.

to make matters worse, some of my friends were over last night and one of them looked at my feet with an expresion of horror and exclaimed "omg, they are SO swollen! Does that hurt?!"

I'm going to try everything I've read might help... definitely trying to drink alot more water. I'm signing up for a water aerobics class with all of the old ladies (apparently the water immersion is good for BP, and the extra exercise can't hurt.) I'm eating more lean protein. I'm even trying to floss more (bad gums can cause an immune response and raise bp). If I try absolutely everything, maybe SOMEthing will help!

My next appt is Thurs so we'll see if the mw is still not worried.
MMM swimming..i think the floating around in almost weightlessness might be the best part...of course I wouldn't want to be the only whale at the pool...lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
HE IS OFF HIS CPAP breathing on his own and DOING EXCELLENT!

My Dr. came in and he says I look great, but because of how much blood I lost I have to stay a few more days..oh well I get waited on atleast

I am about to shower and then I get to go hold my son for the VERY FIRST time AND I get to try him at the breast! Did I tell you guys they let me cut his cord? I did it was very special to me and I kept telling everyone thank you

more baby love for you guys to enjoy:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76...u/DSC_0886.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76...u/DSC_0896.jpg
So have they set any goals for you? He seems like he's pretty much acting like a term baby except for learning how to breastfeed...? Certain weight gain to make or a certain gestational age?
I say that you should complain about the move. I wouldn't care if they are overflowing...you are a PATIENT and had surgery. Talk to admin instead of the docs? It's hard to prove emotional distress but that could work in your favor too...maybe just hint a little hard that you are there in that ward for a reason and you expect to have services that are related to the reason you are in the hospital not just a bunk...

AFM: had an appt yesterday...forgot to ask what my BP was but i guess it was fine. Talked about the anemia. I have to get it back to 30% (the test was 23%) in order to not risk out. She seemed a bit worried about why it dropped so quickly. I was at 11 hemocrit the last time we checked (early dec?) and then 7.6 2 weeks ago. I think she wondered if i had a bleed that I wasn't aware of (no pain, no bruises). But I told her I think its stress and protien has not been on the top of my yum list this pregnancy (which is usually 70% red meat) and that i'm really sensative to my iron levels. So they'll test me again at 36 weeks and IF it's still low they may try to do an iron IV then (not at the birth).

Babe's head down and measuring 33 cm so exactly on. Weight gain of 20 lbs from my low point for the whole pregnancy so far. I'm hoping to only gain 5 lbs or less for the rest of the time. It would be my lowest weight gain but I have a feeling that this will be the biggest baby! I'm not sure I want a 9 lber! I like the small babies...they stay new longer...mine have about a week of being new and then they are monsters.

7 weeks to go till the madness begins...
#333 of 345 Old 02-13-2010, 01:24 PM

cervix hasn't changed at all! woohoo! and they have all decided that the length it is at is okay because his head isn't pressing against it, and it is #4, so its bound to not be super long anyway haha.

and here is a 3d picture i got of my little guy- sucking his thumb..
pretty squished in there, and he's got chubby cheeks already, and is still at an estimated 6lbs and measuring 36 weeks! (im 35 weeks, so its not that off, but still- i'm growing a BIG boy! haha.)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...babyboy3de.jpg

i think he is pretty cute already.

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#334 of 345 Old 02-13-2010, 01:25 PM

P+H and dhinter, I have a friend who makes BEAUTIFUL pads on Etsy. Cheap, too. Let me know if you want her info. I've bought from her before (and will be placing another order in a month or so) and she's got great service and LOTS of fun fabric options.

ETA: Whoops, you meant nursing pads. I need to click links before posting.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#335 of 345 Old 02-13-2010, 01:36 PM

Sara, post anyway .

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#336 of 345 Old 02-13-2010, 02:55 PM

Baby's room will be empty and ready to prep today yay!

Swimming: My maternity swimsuit is almost too small, so I won't be going back to the pool much.

Enjoying the Olympic festivities here from a safe vantage...on the TV!

My DH is taking on an "ignorance is bliss" attitude and that's worrying me. This is our first baby together and his ex had epidural hospital births with his first kids. He's not wanting to watch any birth videos with me. A doula never got back to me either.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#337 of 345 Old 02-13-2010, 03:06 PM

oh Ericka, he is gorgeous!!!

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#338 of 345 Old 02-13-2010, 05:18 PM

sew - maybe follow up on another doula. the one i'm using didn't get back to me the first time - turns out her mom had died. but i'm glad i tried again. i don't get how your DH is so inconsiderate. Mine will oblige me with whatever our baby needs... birthing classes, business of being born, mw appts, etc

amanda - yay on cervix!

p&h - i was measuring on until last week and at 30 weeks, I measured only 28. The MW said it felt like the baby had enough swimming space, so IDK. She said she was interested in how these u/s results came back.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#339 of 345 Old 02-13-2010, 07:27 PM

dhinderliter, thanks for the link! i have noticed some of them are shaped, which seems to make sense. unless the cone shape doesn't match mine, kwim? probably after a couple of washings they are soft enough that doesn't matter.

i'm the one that's been eating almost a cucumber a day for 3 weeks already . i can just eat a whole one like you, so that's good.

carita, that's great that dani has plenty of room

sewcrafty, are you expecting your husband to be your labor partner? i'd be worried if you are counting on him to be your primary support and he's not into "training" for his role. not. cool.

sme, i don't really care about valentine's day either. i tend to think most holidays are best as reminders to be mindful about what they are celebrating. so, threats may still be in order

afm, knitting away today, annoyed at the spare nature of the curly purly pattern. my husband just shoveled the driveway so he could go get me a cheese steak . finally, a craving! this is what happens when i watch TV (olympics) - stupid commercials.

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#340 of 345 Old 02-13-2010, 09:47 PM

We painted the nursery today!!!!!!!

Tomorrow we'll pull the tape off of the molding and touch up any little white spots, but it looks good! I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

I'm so sore now, though. And we still have so much that we need to try to get done tomorrow! EEEEEK.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#341 of 345 Old 02-14-2010, 01:23 AM

Rhi, can't wait to see pics!

We got out today to a Children's Museum, which was fun. Then DH and I went to a friends' for a sledding party. A little disappointed at not sledding (too many moguls), but I had fun being out and talking to grownups.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#342 of 345 Old 02-14-2010, 01:43 AM

Well, I have two giggling girlies in bunk beds upstairs! They are very cute, playing peek-a-boo and calling to each other - just like I always thought sisters should! Something about seeing a head poke out of each level of that bunk bed just gives me such a warm feeling inside. Yeah, I'm totally full of hormones...

So, we got the beds made up and some stuff sorted, but still need to move Ellen's toys, books, and clothes in. Made room for the toys and books, but we still need a drawer unit to put in the closet for clothes, which means I also need to figure out wth to do with a large pink plastic "baby care center" that my MIL gave Sofia a few years ago. I had liked having it in the closet because then I didn't have to look at it, but we really need the space now. And both girls love the thing, of course, so making it disappear isn't really an option.

Dh did find a great shelving unit that we put in the downstairs shower (which we NEVER use). I hung a shower curtain behind the glass door, and presto, a new linen closet! I was rather proud of myself! Hey, maybe the baby care center could go in there!

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#343 of 345 Old 02-14-2010, 02:39 AM

Rearranged the living room today... looks much better! Going to my Grandma's house tomorrow to watch the olympics (she DVR'd them for me since we don't have cable...) then Monday I am attacking my son's room...

My husband is not pleased.

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
#344 of 345 Old 02-14-2010, 05:43 AM

rough night

I had to leave the hospital to come home and sleep..which means I left jennings

I think I have the start of a plugged duct or I am engorged? It hurts a little, but it's like hard in my L breast..AAAAHHH (took warm shower/pumped)

my mom is being a UAV. I am broke. bills need to be paid and I need preemie stuff. I am tired and in pain.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#345 of 345 Old 02-14-2010, 11:30 AM

Ericka, do you know about the charity "Modest Needs"? They might be a good place to contact right now.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page