Bead swap people - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 02-08-2010, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have received 16 sets of beads from the 19 people who signed up. If you are one of the three people from whom I haven't received beads, please let me know if you are going to be able to send them or not. I know one person's got lost in the mail and I am substituting beads that I already have in her place, but there are still 3 more people. If it turns out you cannot participate, that is fine, just let me know so that I can get these packages back out in the mail to people.

I sent out an email with the names that I have received beads from and a request for a couple mailing addys (I got the email response from one this morning). I sorted the beads out last night after my kids were in bed and DH was out watching the Super Bowl and I want to get these back out in the mail as soon as possible.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 02-08-2010, 02:27 PM

And because I never actually responded on the yahoo group, I wanted to give the explanation behind the beads I chose, so I might as well do it here!

Mine are the little blue beads that are sort of half frosted looking and half not. Anyhow, since my screen name is rhiOrion, I had wanted to find something that was star themed, but couldn't find anything I liked. But those reminded me of little planets, and I thought about the fact that we're from all over the earth, and chose those!

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#3 of 25 Old 02-08-2010, 03:50 PM

did i ever e-mail you my address? for some reason my aol wont load right today. and lmk if you want me to reinburse you for shipping back to me.

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#4 of 25 Old 02-09-2010, 07:39 PM

I think I signed up for that.... However, I totally forgot about it to be honest. I haven't been too active in this DDC due to the difficulties I've been experiencing during these past months. I've just been trying to cope and get through each day as they come, one at a time. Sorry that I won't be participating. It's a lovely idea though.

Mom to three girls and a BOY: (2003) (2007) (3/25/2009 - 4/10/2009) (5/2010)
Blogging my way through grief. Look in my profile for link.
#5 of 25 Old 02-16-2010, 08:54 PM

I got my beads today!

I am the one who made the "Believe, breath, birth" cards. The circle/spiral is a powerful image for me in labor, and I found myself chanting this little saying when I felt weak. As long as you believe in yourself and your baby, and you keep breathing, you CAN birth.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#6 of 25 Old 02-17-2010, 12:21 AM

I got mine today, too!
#7 of 25 Old 02-17-2010, 12:47 AM

I got mine today, too! I just love them! We had a bit of a cry over here b/c I let dd play w/ them & she started tossing them around the room. Had to put them up & she was NOT happy!

Ivory, I loved that little card & saved it. I am totally going to be chanting "Believe, breathe, birth" while I'm in labor Now I have to decide what to do w/ the beads themselves. I am def giving them to dd2 when she is older, but I guess I'll just string them for now & admire them.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#8 of 25 Old 02-17-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

I meant to do a little list of who sent what but time got the best of me. I had good intentions. If anyone would like me to do that, I can. I tried to include any extra beads in people's envelopes but I think everyone should have beads from 16 people. Well, maybe it would come to a count of 19 since mine were the set of three green beads (two round, one heart shaped) surrounded by silver wire. I strung mine together so count those as one.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#9 of 25 Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 AM

They're so pretty! Now, what to make....

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#10 of 25 Old 02-17-2010, 03:34 PM

Sandcastle, are you having twins, or is it mom & dad around baby?

jumpers.gif

#11 of 25 Old 02-17-2010, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogretro View Post
Sandcastle, are you having twins, or is it mom & dad around baby?
I hope not b/c that would be a big surprise. Actually, I just liked the beads and thought they were pretty. I tried to find some sort of symbolism for them, but I couldn't. I questioned whether to get them b/c they came as a set of three but then I figured people would use them as they wanted. If they only wanted to use one, they would. If they wanted to use two or three, they would.

#12 of 25 Old 02-18-2010, 06:20 PM

I got my beads today! They're so beautiful. I can't wait to get them strung up!

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#13 of 25 Old 02-18-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylaanne View Post
I got my beads today! They're so beautiful. I can't wait to get them strung up!

I think it's funny that we both sent in almost the exact same bead (I think yours was a more purple color where mine was more blue) but yet we had *completely* different stories behind why we picked them!

#14 of 25 Old 02-18-2010, 09:06 PM

I never got around to posting on the Yahoo group thread either, so I thought I would tell about mine here too.

Nothing profound - I picked the flat disc millifiore beads because I thought they were lovely and because the flowers reminded me of spring, when all our babies were due.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#15 of 25 Old 02-18-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
I think it's funny that we both sent in almost the exact same bead (I think yours was a more purple color where mine was more blue) but yet we had *completely* different stories behind why we picked them!
I thought that was funny too!

I made a necklace tonight using most of the beads from this swap (some wouldn't string on my needle) and some of the beads from my last swap. The result is a choker-length necklace that I really like. I'll take pictures and stick them on my twitter later.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#16 of 25 Old 02-18-2010, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

I think there were two sets that we kind of duplicates. One was rhiOrion's and aylaanne's beads (which my DD said looked like planets) and the other were the flat beads with flowers on them (which my DD said looked like Vera Bradley).

For my beads (the set of three surrounded by wire), you might have to string it, then tie a knot around the top to keep it from sliding over too close to the next bead since the holes are so large. Use one, two, three or none of the beads - whatever works for you.

#17 of 25 Old 02-20-2010, 10:54 AM

I just noticed that the two 79 cent stamps I included in my package were still there. I didn't realize the postal worker had put them in the inner envelope. I hope you didn't think I was trying to cheat you out of postage!!!!!!

#18 of 25 Old 02-20-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
I just noticed that the two 79 cent stamps I included in my package were still there. I didn't realize the postal worker had put them in the inner envelope. I hope you didn't think I was trying to cheat you out of postage!!!!!!
I think yours was the one that when I got to the post office, I realized it had no postage. I thought I'd seen it in the package, but I figured I'd put it aside when I was packing them all up and just never put the stamps on the envelope.

#19 of 25 Old 02-20-2010, 08:05 PM

Here's my necklace! Like I said, it has beads from this swap and my swap with my son.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...e/IMG_1358.jpg

#20 of 25 Old 02-21-2010, 12:19 AM

So pretty! Looks like it would make a great nursing necklace, too.

jumpers.gif

#21 of 25 Old 02-21-2010, 11:13 AM

Nice necklace!

Mine is the tiger bead. I got it for our Year of the Tiger babies.

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
#22 of 25 Old 02-21-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

One other thing: for those of you who had them shipped directly to me from Art Beads or Fire Mountain, I realized I didn't include your packing slips. Did anyone want me to send the packing slip to you if you were able to return any extra beads? I am pretty sure I still have the packing slips.

#23 of 25 Old 02-21-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino View Post
Nice necklace!

Mine is the tiger bead. I got it for our Year of the Tiger babies.
I love that one! DS only knows a couple of words, and when he saw that bead he got excited and said "caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!" (cat). He definitely wanted that bead for himself.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#24 of 25 Old 02-21-2010, 09:24 PM

Who had the black donut-shaped bead? I ended up putting that on my Troll bracelet that DH gave me for valentine's day.

#25 of 25 Old 02-21-2010, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Here is what mine ended up looking like: http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0...D550/ry%3D400/

I just strung them as to how I thought they looked with the one next to it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page