How much cal/mag can you take daily? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-18-2010, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI everyone. I've been lurking steadily for a while, and popped in here and there throughout this pregnancy.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what a max safe dosage of calcium/magnesium would be daily?

Restless leg syndrome is driving me crazy at night, I totally can't sleep, can barely even lay there. I keep taking the cal/mag supplements, but I'm up to 16,000 mg of cal/ 6400mg of mag (that's 16 pills!) and they do kick it quickly so I can go to sleep, but I will wake up with a mild case of it before morning.

I know I used to take huge dosages like this in high school for cramps, and never seemed to suffer any problems from it, but just wondered if anyone had any dosage suggestions or cautions.

THANKS!
Tracey R.

Tracey R. Happy Helpmeet to Jeff, and Mama to Corey (ds, 22yo), Justin (ds, 20yo), Bekah (dd, 3yo), and Miah (Jeremiah, ds, 17mo), and baby Rachel, vasa previa survivor, 4 wks old.

#2 of 4 Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 AM

That sounds like a lot to me, but I am into mega dosing where safe! I don't know the specifics but I have read that certain forms are a)safer and b)more readily absorbed by the body and that might be more important than how much you are taking. For example, the kind of calcium in Tums is poorly absorbed and apparently can cause calcification in the placenta but I have only read that part once.
I have read vit C helps in absorbing them better, I always take my cal-mag with vit C but I think that upping my iron (or actually taking some at night, but earlier than my cal-mag because they can both interfere with eachother) also with C seems to be helping. My RLS is not very bad at all though I can feel it lurking and it was worse before I was constant with both the above (but I think I am only taking about 2000cal).
#3 of 4 Old 02-18-2010, 01:42 PM

I don't have any leg cramping (which i attribute to yoga and stretching daily), but take calmag for my tremendous amount of BHs and have been reading up a lot on it. I learned most people are magnesium deficient, but not calcium and there needs to be a balance. I'm taking liquid form, my MW said forget about the tabs/capsuls, your body just doesn't absorb them well. I'm also planning on getting magnesium powder this week to balance my calcium intake (i'm a huge dairy fan). I haven't heard about the vit c thing, but have heard it should be w/citrus, so find a liquid w/it (it'll say citrate). i often mix orange flavored liquid cal/mag w/OJ.
Another thing that should really help you-take baths w/epsom salt! It is magnesium and sulfates and will absorb readily through your skin-sooo good for you!
In all my research i haven't heard what or if there's overdose limits, but not sure---i do think the RDA is too low, though, IMO

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#4 of 4 Old 02-18-2010, 03:25 PM

It is vitamin D which helps your body absorb calcium, not C, as far as I know.

Mom to three girls and a BOY: (2003) (2007) (3/25/2009 - 4/10/2009) (5/2010)
Blogging my way through grief. Look in my profile for link.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page