My Newborn Checklist-missing anything? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-21-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I have been so worried my whole pregnancy because I've had no nesting instinct. I didn't even have a bassinet until a week ago! Well now I am going crazy... making lists, cleaning our baseboards, reorganizing our pantry etc etc. Well there are quite a few things that still need to be done and bought. I am a first time mom so can you ladies tell me if I am missing anything or if there is anything on here that isn't totally necessary? I am breastfeeding.
Thank you!

Car seat
Stroller - Check
Baby Slings - One, how many should I have?
Crib
Crib mattress
Bassinet - Check
Bassinet bumper - Check
Bassinet Sheets - Check
Two to three fitted crib sheets - Check
Four or more waffle-weave cotton receiving blankets for swaddling - Check
Two mattress pads (waterproof?)
One to two waterproof liners
Hamper
Newborn Diapers - Check
Wipes - Check
Diaper pail (with refill bags)
Diaper bag
Diaper rash ointment
Wipe Warmer
Diaper Changing Pad
Diaper Stacker door hanging thing
Sleeping Outfits - Check
Onesies - Check
Rompers - Check
Hats - Check
Socks - Check
Sweater - Check
Brimmed hat - Check
Three to five nursing bras
A box of washable or disposable breast pads
Four small baby bottles with newborn nipples
Bottle brush
One to Two dozen burp cloths
Nursing Tops
Plastic infant bathtub
Three soft hooded towels - check
Two packs of baby washcloths - Check
Baby body wash that doubles as shampoo - Check
Baby Lotion & or Oil - Check
Baby-sized nail clippers - Check
Soft brush and comb - Check
Laundry Soap - Check
Baby Q-Tips - Check
A pain-and-fever reducer (Infant's Tylenol)
Cotton pads/swabs
Nasal aspirator
Digital baby thermometer
Hydrogen Peroxide - Check
Petroleum jelly - Check

Extras: Nice but optional
A rocker or glider
Boppy
Nursing cover-up
Infant swing
Bouncy
Baby Book
Playpen

*Courtney*
#2 of 24 Old 02-21-2010, 02:27 PM

If you're exclusively breastfeeding, you probably don't need the bottles or brush. Are you disposable or cloth diapering? If cloth, you most likely don't need the diaper ointment either, or if you do want to get some, make sure it's safe for cloth diapers (most of them aren't). Baby lotion and baby oil probably aren't a complete necessity either, but it looks like you already have those.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 24 Old 02-21-2010, 03:06 PM

Here are the things I didn't find necessary:

Stroller
Crib
Crib mattress
Two to three fitted crib sheets
Four or more waffle-weave cotton receiving blankets for swaddling (I'm not a fan of swaddling.)
Diaper rash ointment (often not needed if you're using cloth with natural fibers against baby's skin)
Wipe Warmer
Diaper Changing Pad (I'm a big fan of changing baby wherever we are, instead of taking her to a special designated area each time, but that's just me.)
Diaper Stacker door hanging thing (IME, a basket works better than a stacker.)
Onesies (I hate onesies so bad.)
Four small baby bottles with newborn nipples (Since you didn't include a pump on this list, I'm guessing you're not going to be working outside the home? I'd skip ALL bottles and bottle supplies. If you need to supplement while working on supply, an SNS is a better option.)
Bottle brush
One to Two dozen burp cloths (Cloth diapers or tea towels work fine- and two dozen is probably way too many.)
Plastic infant bathtub (Washing baby in kitchen sink or taking baths together was much easier for me.)
Three soft hooded towels (Any soft towels will do.)
Baby body wash that doubles as shampoo (My whole family uses very gentle natural products so we don't buy any special stuff for baby.)
Baby Lotion & or Oil
Baby-sized nail clippers (Using scissors or just biting her nails was easier for me.)
Soft brush and comb (She had no hair to speak of until she was a couple of years old. )
Laundry Soap (We use natural gentle stuff in general and don't need anything special for baby.)
A pain-and-fever reducer (There are at least four or five 24 hour pharmacies near my house, so I don't keep it on hand to make sure it's not overused. We can always get it if we need it.)
Cotton pads/swabs (I'd just use a clean wipe.)
Petroleum jelly (This stuff is SO BAD for skin!!! I honestly can't believe it's even legal for them to sell this stuff and liquid mineral/petroleum oil as a topical treatment or baby product. It's just a waste product of gasoline distillation that they can't legally dump in the sewers or landfills, so they sell it as a baby product. Disgusting.)
Nursing cover-up (Trying to set one of these up makes nursing take longer, and a lot of babies will refuse to be covered while nursing anyway. Besides, nothing makes nursing more obvious than trying to hide behind one of these things. Some good nursing shirts with discreet openings are a much better investment if you want coverage without hassle.)
Infant swing
Bouncy
Playpen

As far as other things to get,
One sling can definitely be "enough", but it's nice to have a spare in case one needs to be washed.
A nice blanket/quilt for tummy time is a good buy, if you don't already have something suitable.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#4 of 24 Old 02-21-2010, 03:27 PM

Baby Slings - One, how many should I have? - stick with one until you get a feel for what you like (I hated my sling & ended up making my own Moby)
Crib - probably not necessary, DS slept in his once for 5 minutes.
Diaper pail (with refill bags) - are you using cloth or disposable diapers? Well actually either way -- you can just use a spare trash can or hamper
Wipe Warmer - not necessary
Three to five nursing bras - just get 1 or 2 for now 'til you see how your size changes once you're BF'ing
Four small baby bottles with newborn nipples - probably don't need these unless you're going to be away from baby?
Nursing Tops - you can use whatever loose-fitting tops you already have
A rocker or glider - if you don't already have a comfy recliner somewhere in the house I would definitely get one (and not necessarily a "nursery" one, any comfy recliner thing would be sooo great for BF'ing!)
Nursing cover-up - I would get this, it made me way more comfortable to NIP in the early weeks (although I don't use it at all anymore)
Infant swing - I would get this or the bouncy, or one that's kind of dual purpose, if you end up with a colicky/fussy baby it may be your life-saver!!
Playpen - we used ours three times... wasn't worth it for us

I can't think of anything you didn't already include, that's a very extensive list lol... Honestly the only things we really NEEDED in the early weeks were blankets, burp cloths, diapers & wipes, and a few outfits.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 24 Old 02-21-2010, 03:29 PM

wow big list! i'm sure I"M forgetting something but not sure what. i think the "nice to have" list is actually the few things that i feel are a need! we're planning to get a lazy boy here very soon b/c there is NO comfortable place for me to sit. a boppy was a beautiful thing...pillows work but it's a pain to arrange them and a boppy is FULL so it doesn't squish down. and then EITHER a bouncy chair or a swing (and i think swing is better...a lot of babies may feel "itchy" by the vibrations) however on Amazon i found a swing that also has a vibrator function in case. i do find someplace to strap in baby off the floor/upright/soothing as a neccessity since i'm in a crazy house. no need for a playpen either UNLESS this is where the baby is sleeping primarily. we don't have room for a crib so the playpen IS the bed.

my registry consists of 12 items (and no i don't have a lot of baby things left over from the others)...one is a stroller that I don't need (a want if someone wants to buy it for me) and bottles/liners for the occasional bottle (which won't be till later) are the only "unnessaccery" items. i have 2 carriers; ergo and moby. i want a mei tei as well and i think that will be a well rounded stash. i also liked the basket for diapers, wipes and ointment although i never used a "stacker". i do think a baby changing pad is good for the baby bag though. not so much for the changing station but for the floor of the car or at the park or wherever i am at the time.

thermometer?
#6 of 24 Old 02-21-2010, 05:59 PM

Just my quick thoughts that others have not addressed:

Wipe Warmer-- I used it once, DD did not show a strong preference for warm wipes or not, and then it stayed in the closet until I sold it at a consignment sale. Also, I eventually realized that DD was so sensitive that I couldn't use commercial wipes. Wipes are not terribly expensive, but I eventually just started using wet rags and/or paper towels and found them to be just as effective and a lot less irritating for her skin.

Breast pads-- I strongly prefer disposables, but I leak a lot. I had a problem with the cloth ones mildewing (blech)- but, being moist all the time and against warm skin, it's not really surprising.

Nursing tops: IMHO, nursing tops don't function very well (nursing camisoles, though, are great if you can find them long enough). Loose shirts are much better (or button up shirts with a camisole beneath)... almost anything except a dress can be "nursing attire" if you have a nursing camisole beneath it.

Boppy: for me, this is an essential. I know some people prefer the "My Breast Friend," but for me the Boppy was great and a lot less bulky. I am using DD's now as a neck pillow for sleeping and as a bottom-support pillow-- it's great for both

Mattress: I wish someone had told me to buy a natural baby mattress forDD (like naturepedic). They sell them at BRU and they're not too much more expensive (like, $200). I'd much rather my newborn not be sleeping on plastic nastiness. We're planning to buy one this time.

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
#7 of 24 Old 02-22-2010, 12:36 AM

List looks great to me! One dozen burp cloths will be plenty, even for a heavy spitter. The only things from your optional list that we did not use were nursing cover (used a big, light blanket), rocker, and playpen. I love bouncy chairs, esp b/c you can bounce them w/ your feet & babies will often fall asleep like that, woo hoo! Yeah, 24 hr drug stores are nice, but I'm not running out at 3 am to get baby Tylenol. We always kept two bottles around (get the dye-free kind, it's awesome!). Wipe warmers are dumb, hooded towels are adorable (dd still loves hers), and I hate bathing babies in the sink (too floppy). If you are going to pump some, keep the bottles. If not, you don't need them. If, for some reason, you needed to go buy formula, they sell bottles right in the same aisle at the supermarket. We are a pacifier family, so I would also have about 15 binkies listed there, too, lol, but I know that is not popular on MDC.

Get some small bibs. In case baby has reflux or needs a nipple shield, small bibs will come in handy. If you do not need them when baby is tiny, they are great to catch drool when the teeth start coming in or when baby gets a cold.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#8 of 24 Old 02-22-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovumms333238 View Post
So I have been so worried my whole pregnancy because I've had no nesting instinct. I didn't even have a bassinet until a week ago! Well now I am going crazy... making lists, cleaning our baseboards, reorganizing our pantry etc etc. Well there are quite a few things that still need to be done and bought. I am a first time mom so can you ladies tell me if I am missing anything or if there is anything on here that isn't totally necessary? I am breastfeeding.
Thank you!

Car seat
Stroller - Check
Crib
Crib mattress
Bassinet - Check
Bassinet bumper - Check
Bassinet Sheets - Check
Hamper
Newborn Diapers - Check
Wipes - Check
Diaper bag
Diaper rash ointment
Wipe Warmer
Diaper Changing Pad
Sleeping Outfits - Check
Onesies - Check
Rompers - Check
Hats - Check
Socks - Check
Sweater - Check
Brimmed hat - Check
Bottle brush
Nursing Tops
Plastic infant bathtub
Laundry Soap - Check
Baby Q-Tips - Check
Cotton pads/swabs
Nasal aspirator
Digital baby thermometer
Petroleum jelly - Check

A rocker or glider
Boppy
Nursing cover-up
Infant swing
Bouncy
Baby Book
Playpen
that is pretty much what we had with DD1. We had a cosleeper instead of the bassinet though. We did use it all and it was nice to have it all, but not 100% required (didn't use the crib until 14 months, but then she slept there until 3.5 and would probably still be sleeping in there if we hadn't forced her out to make room for #2). Will you be having a shower? You'll probably get most of it from the shower....I would add a baby gym/playmat thing and add the boppy to the must have list. We have a my breast friend too and I liked that better than the boppy personally.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#9 of 24 Old 02-22-2010, 03:53 PM

wow, that's a long list. I didnt have/use half of that stuff with DS so I havent bothered with this one either.

We never used a plastic baby bath, DS bathed with me and when he could sit I just bathed him in the big bath or the sink he loved it.

Never used:

a wipe warmer
diaper stacker
socks (we had some...he NEVER kept them on, just used the all in one suits with the 'feet' on them)
For this baby I have bought NO bottles, I do not intend to use them.
IMO newborns dont get 'dirty' so I dont like to to soaps or anything, just water until they start crawling around and picking up filth
never have used nail clippers even to this day. I saw so many of my friends babies with band aids on their little fingers from them, I just used to bite DS's and much to my husbands disgust I still do and he's never had any cut fingers etc.
I dont think you can use infant tylenol until they're 2 months anyway right? we dont have any.
Never used a nasal aspirator either
We didnt use a crib until he was one.

I would def. get a Boppy though, that thing was a life saver.

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#10 of 24 Old 02-22-2010, 04:58 PM

Hands up here for the Boppy too!

Also I wish I had a rocker/glider from the beginning with my first. There's only so much swaying and bouncing you can do standing up with no sleep before you fall over. This time I have the glider already, but I'm also thinking of getting an exercise ball. A friend of mine got one for laboring and then discovered that her babe loved being bounced up and down in mama's arms while sitting on the ball instead of rocking.

Also I highly recommend an extra pair of sheets for YOUR bed.

High-altitude mama sweatin' it out in the South. Mama to DS, Feb. 07, and DD, April 2010.
#11 of 24 Old 02-22-2010, 07:38 PM

you might want to borrow some things until you figure out what your baby likes. Mine hated the bouncer but loved the swing. Slings are the same way. I loved my Moby and Ergo (later) but hated my ring sling and pouch. Babies are different and how it fits your body type will make a difference too. See if you can borrow a few to try out before you invest in a bunch.

LOVED my boppy. I have 2 - one for upstairs and one for down. I bought an extra cover this time to have around.

In defense of wipes warmers - This was something I TOTALLY made fun of when I was pregnant the first time, thinking it was stupid. I use all cloth (including wipes) and after having a fall baby who would SCREAM if anything chilly touched her bum in the middle of the night, I decided to get one at a consignment shop. LOVED it! It made things so much easier. Yes you could go into the bathroom and run hot water, but it was one more step at 3AM I'd rather not do and it took forever for the water to warm up. Anyway, No, it isn't necessary, but as someone who used to hate on them, I am happy to be pulling mine back out of storage!

Also, I have a fancy thermometer but I love it. I was so glad I splurged, it has gotten a ton of use! Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...GR38GMX57C1G6Q

UGH, DD is screaming at me so gotta go.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#12 of 24 Old 02-22-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33 View Post
you might want to borrow some things until you figure out what your baby likes. Mine hated the bouncer but loved the swing. Slings are the same way. I loved my Moby and Ergo (later) but hated my ring sling and pouch. Babies are different and how it fits your body type will make a difference too. See if you can borrow a few to try out before you invest in a bunch.

LOVED my boppy. I have 2 - one for upstairs and one for down. I bought an extra cover this time to have around.

In defense of wipes warmers - This was something I TOTALLY made fun of when I was pregnant the first time, thinking it was stupid. I use all cloth (including wipes) and after having a fall baby who would SCREAM if anything chilly touched her bum in the middle of the night, I decided to get one at a consignment shop. LOVED it! It made things so much easier. Yes you could go into the bathroom and run hot water, but it was one more step at 3AM I'd rather not do and it took forever for the water to warm up. Anyway, No, it isn't necessary, but as someone who used to hate on them, I am happy to be pulling mine back out of storage!

Also, I have a fancy thermometer but I love it. I was so glad I splurged, it has gotten a ton of use! Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...GR38GMX57C1G6Q

UGH, DD is screaming at me so gotta go.

So, do you find that thermometer to be accurate and easy? I put one on my registry, but wasn't sure if it was worth it or not.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#13 of 24 Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
So, do you find that thermometer to be accurate and easy? I put one on my registry, but wasn't sure if it was worth it or not.
yes! It took a little getting used to in order to get an accurate reading (for example you have to make sure it maintains skin contact while you are doing it - it sounds simple, but it is kind of easy to accidentally lift it a little and then you are reading 'air' instead of 'skin'). I love it though. So fast and easy!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#14 of 24 Old 02-22-2010, 09:21 PM

Gripe water and Hylands teething tablets, Mylicon if you don't mind using it.

Aileen, Mama to Hannah James, 4/01/07 Smartest kid I've ever known! And Gabriel Joseph, born at home 3-31-10!! Delaying and selectively vax'ing
#15 of 24 Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 PM

WOW that's a long list. I thought we were pretty much set, and we have mmm like, 1/18th of that list! haha.

But we have a teeny tiny 500 sq foot apartment and will be here for another year, so that's part of it. No room for crib or even really for a co-sleeper. We splurged on (what I so far think) is an AWESOME stroller, which has a Moses basket/bassinet attachment which I will use for naps in the first couple of months, and if I don't feel comfortable co-sleeping, for sleeping at night too.

What we DO have is
- a changing table (essential, to me)
- a hand-me-down PacknPlay (probably also essential, mostly for when traveling or for the crib if we're desperate...we COULD squeeze it into our living room if need be)
-two hand-me-down cribs (one is at my parent's house in my old bedroom, and the other is in their attic in case we are in dire need of it for sleeping reasons and don't mind setting it up in our living room, haha. other than that, we will bring it to our new place when we move into a bigger place in a year)
-a GLIDER with ottoman. this was my BIGGEST thing I wanted on the registry. my MIL bought it for us very generously. as a nurse who works in OB and has lulled SO MANY crying babies to sleep in the nursery at night using rocking chairs, this was something I knew we needed from the moment I got pregnant. I don't even care that it basically totally doesn't fit in our living room furniture scheme. it will get so much use!
-lots of hoodie towels, and a cute fisher price nonskid bottom 'whale of a time' bathtub. yes, we could use our sink, but our kitchen is small and not conducive to a sink bath
-car seat that goes into our stroller. i love our stroller. we got a quinny buzz (and the bassinet attachment) and a mico car seat and i think it's going to work super well with our city lifestyle bc the wheels seem great so far and it seems really easy to maneuver. im sure ill have numerous faults to point out with it within a week of using it, but i'm very happy right now!
-started our cloth diaper collection...plan on finishing it after we go to a 'cloth diaper workshop' in a local cloth diaper store in our area. can't wait! so far i have a plan for some AIOs, and then build from there depending on ease and simplicity. we may use a service, which would supply use with prefolds i think, because we have coin-op laundry 4 floors below us in the apartment-building's basement and i don't really fancy hauling myself down there every 2-3 days to do laundry. not to mention the washers don't have the option of extra cycles, so it would mean an extra trip down there for each extra cycle, and an extra $1.50 each time. it adds up!
-i know i'll be getting a boppy and bouncer from my registry at the shower since i can see they got bought, which i'm really psyched on.
-moby wrap and a baby bjorn carrier also bought off the registry, psyched on those as well
-breast shells, shields, nsg pads, 2 nursing bras, some comfy nightgowns and nursing tanks--all will come in handy i think. working with breastfeeding moms has taught me it's not always easy, so i was quick to register for the shells and shields as I have rather large and somewhat flat nipples!

When all is said and done, I think you're set if you can clothe and feed the baby, change it and have a way to get it from point A to point B :-) The rest of the stuff is extraneous.
#16 of 24 Old 02-23-2010, 08:13 AM

Theres quite a lot on your list you don't need at all! lol ...

For the fun - because I like lists...I shall go over yours! lol...

Car seat (go for one that can rear face the longest and is obviously suitable from birth - you can get loads of info on this in the safety section of MDC - We actually still have the 'bucket' that we plan to use but are getting the Britax Hi-Way shortly after. I don't know why I have a 'bucket' - we never had a travel system and I hate those things)
Stroller - Check (you don't need it - sell it and buy another sling! lol)
Baby Slings - One, how many should I have? (honestly - I don't know anyone can survive on one! lol...I would suggest at least two! A stretchy wrap for a newborn and a ring sling ...then youll need a nice woven wrap for when they are too big for a stretchy one! ...and then as a toddler you may fancy a mei tai most!)
Crib (dont need it - Baby is safest in your bed and theres a whole lot of other practica reasons why this works best too - check out the co sleeping forums!)
Crib mattress (dont need it as you dont need a crib!)
Bassinet - Check (sell it - use it to buy more slings lol)
Bassinet bumper - Check (sell it)
Bassinet Sheets - Check (sell it lol)
Two to three fitted crib sheets - Check (sell)
Four or more waffle-weave cotton receiving blankets for swaddling - Check (yeah thats fine)
Two mattress pads (waterproof?) (for your bed? - I suggest hippychick - they are the best waterproof bed sheets - put under your fitted sheet or over...they don't feel waterproof but are and easy to wash as needed...soak up drool, spit up, leaking booby juice, etc...save your mattress! lol)
One to two waterproof liners (just get the hippychick one - we are actually gonna get a double size one AND a 'cot' sized one...the double will go under the fitted sheet and cover a good section of the bed and then the little cot one will go straight under baby and me OVER our sheets so I shouldn't have to do much bedding washing that often..I remember from DS we both leaked a lot in all sorts of places! lmao)
Hamper (for what?)
Newborn Diapers - Check
Wipes - Check
Diaper bag
Diaper rash ointment
Wipe Warmer (not needed but this too is on my list as I really wanted one with DS and want one again hehe)
Diaper Changing Pad (you don't really need one but they are handy)
Diaper Stacker door hanging thing (this or a wicker basket will do!)
Sleeping Outfits - Check
Onesies - Check
Rompers - Check
Hats - Check
Socks - Check
Sweater - Check
Brimmed hat - Check
Three to five nursing bras (try them on before you purchase!...get may ONE before baby is born...your boobs will and body will change size after though - so a few weeks after, go out and get a few more)
A box of washable or disposable breast pads (washable - deff! - OR lilypads!!!! - I just HATE how lumpy disposables are. Amaz pads sound good becaues apparently they hardly show at all under your clothes!)
Four small baby bottles with newborn nipples (dont need if you are bf)
Bottle brush (dont need if you are bf)
Honestly if you are planning on bf - do not buy any bottle feeding stuff at all! There have been some threads about this on our forum recently if you want to read why its not a good idea!)
One to Two dozen burp cloths (muslins work best for everythign - we still use them and my DS is 4.5! lol)
Nursing Tops (don't really need but they can be handy to have a few!)
Plastic infant bathtub (you actually don't need this - but I do recommend a bath support like this - best bath support we ever had, was able to fit in the baby bath as we only had a shower at our old place and then when we moved, it could suction into the big bath - with our without me in there with him!...really truely left my hands free - no other support we tried did this at all!)
Three soft hooded towels - check (you don't really need these - use your own towels...but you have them so use them...handy for the pool actually rather than anywhere else as it can hang on babys head when you get out - so they are warm until you are able to sort them out completely!)
Two packs of baby washcloths - Check (eh - we just use our own as well)
Baby body wash that doubles as shampoo - Check (I actually recommend you do not use this at all - baby skin is SO sensitive. Water will do just fine!)
Laundry Soap - Check
Baby Q-Tips - Check (never actually needed these)
A pain-and-fever reducer (Infant's Tylenol) (I don't actually recommend this - we have fevers for a reason - you can get more info on that in health section of MDC though - honestly though, homeopathic remedies go a long way and are safe for all the family!)
Cotton pads/swabs
Nasal aspirator (get an automatic one! - I wish I had with DS - this one will be getting an automatic nastal aspirator! lol)
Digital baby thermometer ( make sure it is suitable for newborn ears - a lot actually are not as they are too big for newborn ears!)
Hydrogen Peroxide - Check (why? lol - I don't think we actually have that in this country - well we have never used it but its not like you are splashing out buying some - your choice! lol)
Petroleum jelly - Check (yikes - get rid of that nasty stuff! Suitable replacement - aloe!)

A rocker or glider (yes nice - but so expensive! - check out ebay hehe)
Boppy (eh - we have one but never used it! lol)
Nursing cover-up (no way! - bf is natural!)
Infant swing (not needed at all - not even nice)
Bouncy (like a baby bouncer?...handy when you are in the shower - but nothing fancy in all honesty - none of that vibrating lights singing music stuff...when not using a water sling you can put baby right there so you can both still see and hear eachother! And I NEED a shower everyday - So perhaps more needed than an extra in all honesty)
Baby Book (so many people I know say they never had time to fill theirs out - we did and I am glad we got one and we got another one for this baby too!)
Playpen (not nice or needed)

I will added as needed: newborn bibs. They drool a lot - and dribble and sometimes spit up a bit and sometimes you leak a bit on their face lol...newborn bibs look nice and are handy practicle too!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#17 of 24 Old 02-23-2010, 02:28 PM

Oh, yes, I second the ideas of the baby book and the glider. OK, so they aren't NEEDS, but that baby book was invaluable. I thought I would remember everything, but nope, I didn't! I'm so so so glad I filled my daughter's out when I did. I found mine a few months ago from when I was a baby, and it was missing so much info, it made me sad.

Also, I got my glider from Walmart (I don't shop there any more, but at the time it was all I could afford) for $80!! Look around for great deals...we still use it to put DD down, and she's almost 3!!

Aileen, Mama to Hannah James, 4/01/07 Smartest kid I've ever known! And Gabriel Joseph, born at home 3-31-10!! Delaying and selectively vax'ing
#18 of 24 Old 02-23-2010, 02:38 PM

Oh - add an amber teething necklace to that.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#19 of 24 Old 02-23-2010, 03:50 PM

I just find everyone's needs are so different with babies. Your list looks good for now. If you find you need something later, it will be fun to go out and get it if you plan to stay at home with the baby for the coming weeks or months.

Mommy to DS 6/08, Expecting :
4/10 by c-section.
#20 of 24 Old 02-23-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
Oh - add an amber teething necklace to that.

I put one on DS when he was 4mo after he had already gotten 2 teeth in. It really seemed to help, so he's had it on ever since. He's turning 2 next week. Sure, most people thought that he was a girl until he was almost one, but now he's just the cool littl dude the the amber necklace.

Jenn (30) wife to DH (42) and Mama to DS (2). Looking forward to our with #2 due Nov. 2 2010.
#21 of 24 Old 02-23-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
I just find everyone's needs are so different with babies. Your list looks good for now. If you find you need something later, it will be fun to go out and get it if you plan to stay at home with the baby for the coming weeks or months.
I 100% agree w/ this comment. There are things you are going to buy & then think "Wtf did I think I needed that?" & things you don't buy that you will wish horribly that you had. And some things will get put away b/c you aren't using them, only to pull them out a few months later b/c you suddenly cannot live w/out them. We had one baby who would only sleep in the swing. We had one who had to be swaddled & put in the bouncy chair w/ vibrate on. We liked to use our crib as a potty/changing station when dd outgrew her changing table. We do baby wear, but we also LOVE our giant stroller. We never did need a rocking chair or three tubes of bum cream. In the end, it is likely that you will need less than you thought, but then you can pass those things on to someone else who really does need them

Re: baby washcloths: Dh and I use a shower scrubbie, so we only own two adult-sized washcloths. I use two washcloths per bath w/ infants & I do use soap & shampoo b/c all of our babies STUNK after 2 or 3 days. So, yeah, for us, we really did need a dozen washcloths!

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#22 of 24 Old 02-23-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovumms333238 View Post

Car seat
Stroller - Check
Crib
Crib mattress
Bassinet - Check
Bassinet bumper - Check
Bassinet Sheets - Check
Hamper
Newborn Diapers - Check
Wipes - Check
Diaper bag
Diaper rash ointment
Wipe Warmer
Diaper Changing Pad
Sleeping Outfits - Check
Onesies - Check
Rompers - Check
Hats - Check
Socks - Check
Sweater - Check
Brimmed hat - Check
Bottle brush
Nursing Tops
Plastic infant bathtub
Laundry Soap - Check
Baby Q-Tips - Check
Cotton pads/swabs
Nasal aspirator
Digital baby thermometer
Petroleum jelly - Check

A rocker or glider
Boppy
Nursing cover-up
Infant swing
Bouncy
Baby Book
Playpen
I think since you already have a bassinet, you are good to put off your crib purchase until baby outgrows bassinet Especially, if you plan to co-sleep or think there is a chance it might happen, you might never need a crib. Nursing tops I never liked, but it's really a personal preference. They are kind of uncomfortable and loose shirts, that can be pulled down worked better for me. You might never need bottles or nipples either, and if you do, they are easy to ask someone to pick them up for you, if it comes up. Boppy was necessary for me, but I hear it's not for everyone. Nursing cover-up I didn't have last time, but will be getting this time. I was uncomfortable nursing when there were people around and definitely when I was out, so I know it'll come in very useful for me. Swing was what saved us last time, but every baby is different. I'm telling you, it totally saved me. I heard mamas say that it's better to hold and rock babies and I did that A LOT, but my baby calmed down much faster in his swing, and some days it was THE ONLY way I could put him to sleep. Playpen was used exclusively as a big storage basket for toys!

As for adding something in, baby nail clippers because baby's nails can get sharp quickly. Maybe I missed it on your list or it was already suggested.

Looks good to me!

Lena , wife to best friend Joe , mommy to my two sweetie pies, DS1 born 7.7.07 and DS2 just arrived 4.17.10
#23 of 24 Old 02-23-2010, 06:52 PM

a boppy is not optional!!! You need some kind of nursing pillow! ANd my DH would say that a rocking chair is not optional, it's the #1 thing he tells new dads-to-be to get. I think if you have a birth ball it could be used in place of a rocking chair, but you needs something that moves while you sit on it because at 2 AM you just get to darn tired of walking baby around.

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#24 of 24 Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 PM

We never used our hooded towel things, just a regular towel. We got a few hooded baby robes as gifts which were just silly!

LOVED our wipe warmer. We used it with cloth wipes.

We went out and bought a glider (cheap) after a few weeks. If you can, I'd get one.

I'd also add a yoga ball. We spent the first several months (maybe like 8 months?) putting DS in his sling (a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch, my favorite) and later his Ergo and sitting on the yoga ball bouncing him to sleep for naps, etc. The ball was also nice during labor, and my DS (now almost 4) still plays with it. A worthy investment.

We recieved things like pacifiers and baby tylenol for shower gifts that I NEVER thought we would use. When we found out that we had the most suckingest baby in the world we were grateful to have a binky on hand, same with his first fever. We still much prefer the natural/homeopathic remedies, but it can be nice to have some on hand in case you need it.

On that note- homeopathic Teething Tablets, colic tablets, and gripe water are all on my MUST have list.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page