Mothering Forum banner

Weekly thread, March 28-Apr 4

11K views 320 replies 34 participants last post by  Carita 
#1 ·
Let's have some babies this week!

ivymae, GreenTeaGinger61, SuzieQ3417, anyone else showing signs of labor or hoping for things to turn into labor.... good luck!

To those whose babies have slowed down -- mine slowed down a lot on Monday, and the midwife said that's common before labor kicks in. Of course, that doesn't always happen (witness -- me!).

I've reached the first of my due dates (they range from now until Apr 1). I want to get a move on over here!

#277 ·
Pepper I have concluded that this is the issue with my dh too. There are things he simply doesn't see. He will load and unload the dishwasher, for instance, but not wipe off the counters, because I think he really doesn't see the food stuck to them. Well, at least he tries.

Ginger I know what you mean. My dh is a great guy, and has been truly impressive about helping out in the last month with me on bedrest, but the logic of what he will and won't do (see the counters, above) escapes me sometimes. Last weekend he had a set of three clean pans he kept moving around the kitchen as they got in his way. Took me about 30 seconds to put them away. For the most part I've learned to let it go and just focus on the great stuff he does, but sometimes it makes me

Sme Ok, I give, what is the Great Matzah Brei Cook-Off? It sounds like fun! I had an adopted Jewish grandmother growing up (mom of a man my mom was dating) who always referred to Matzah bread as "hemstitch cardboard."
Your day out yesterday sounds fabulous! Hope your ds is better soon.

MPP Yay for labor...hope it picks up again tonight.

Carita Yay for a "last hurrah!" I think mine will be to Super Supplements today - out of iron tablets and some stuff we need for the kids (dd1 will ONLY brush her teeth with the non-floridated Tom's strawberry toothpaste), and I have a sneaking suspicion that stocking up on Rescue Remedy before the babies are born will be a good idea.

Rhi Hope you do get your labor today - it does sound like things are set up just right!

afm my MIL and our niece are coming over to dye eggs with us and the girls today, which should be fun. Right now the girls are making as big a mess as is humanly possible with their toys in the family room, but they are playing so nicely together I have decided I don't care.

And tonight Tom and I are going to have an ersatz date - put the kids to bed early and then get take-out Indian food and watch a movie.
We have both been so busy and going in so many different directions lately that it will be a treat just to have time for the two of us!

#278 ·
Mater, I hope it picks up soon! Come baby, come!

Laughingfox, now I have a craving. Mmmmm
Maybe I can convince DH to take me to Olive Garden tonight

Ginger, sorry you were disappointed. Even though I haven't had any indications of things happening, I would be too. That's why I'm skipping the checks. At least I can have hope.

Afm, I'm hanging out at home because it's rainy and a little chilly out. If it's nicer tomorrow, I'll walk around the neighborhood. I woke up with a sore throat and so taking it really easy today. Based on how DH is acting, it's a very mild bug, so I have hope of feeling all better tomorrow. I'm making myself lots of tea with honey and lemons. I also spent the first half of the day in bed so far, after having some light breakfast of papaya, so at least I feel pretty rested.

We had SIL and her husband over for dinner last night. We had some marinated steak, that we grilled outside. It was absolutely fantastic, with a green salad and oven fries. Then I had chocolate coconut ice cream for dessert. I have no clue how I didn't go into labor, because there was hardly any space left for baby. I was a little crabby for some of the night, but then we played card games, and it got me distracted for the night.

Totally convincing DH to take me to Olive Garden tonight for eggplant parm!

#279 ·
I cannot believe my mom.
Seriously.

She texted me about lunch tomorrow, and when I called her back, the first thing out of her mouth was "So, no Easter baby then?"

Easter isn't over for another 30something hours!!
I seriously wanted to just hang up on her. Ugh.

#280 ·
Good luck, MPP!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dena View Post
Sme Ok, I give, what is the Great Matzah Brei Cook-Off? It sounds like fun! I had an adopted Jewish grandmother growing up (mom of a man my mom was dating) who always referred to Matzah bread as "hemstitch cardboard."
Your day out yesterday sounds fabulous! Hope your ds is better soon.

DS's godparents each have a different recipe for matzah brei - basically scrambled eggs with crumbly matzah in it or french toast made with matzah, depending on your recipe - so on the Shabbat during Pesach, we go over to a friends' house and they cook off and then we all eat. It's yummy. Everyone's a winner.

DS is still a little down, though not as comatose as he was last night.

Baby absolutely dropped - I can eat and be comfortable again. Yay!

Trying to figure out what I want to do for the rest of the day. DS is napping and I'm going to let him sleep this off for however long he wants because I want him feeling better for when we see DH's family tomorrow.

#281 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LenaC View Post
[
Ginger, sorry you were disappointed. Even though I haven't had any indications of things happening, I would be too. That's why I'm skipping the checks. At least I can have hope.
I wasn't going to have one but my midwife had weekend away plans, and we both wanted to know if it would be safe for her to go so to speak. Normally I would have just waited.

Enjoy your dinner out. I'd have to be pretty desperate to eat Eggplant Parmesan
Dh loves it though so I am NOT going to mention it's "magical" potential or he'll insist we go get some. But some Olive Garden breadsticks sound pretty tasty.

Dena Yup on dh. Sounds like we married very similar guys. I'm eternally gratefully that dh is a seriously awesome father. He takes the kids out all the time (without being asked or without hints). He entertains them, plays with them, and helps to homeschool them even though he's with little kids all day. He's just one of those people who are really really good with children (unlike me I might add). So most of the time, I just keep my mouth shut over his weird cleaning things. But I"m getting crabby as this pregnancy drags on. Have fun coloring eggs. I think I'm skipping it this year. The kids haven't mentioned it and I hate wasting eggs. I can't figure out a way to do it without most of the eggs going bad. Any ideas?

Laughingfox I almost hate calling my mom! I know she's anxious so every time I call she asks "Is the baby coming?" She's watching the kids for us at the birth center so she's invested but it does drive me a little mad.

I'm back to being okay again. We'll see how long that lasts. Dh and I cleaned a lot today. I finally started in on our nasty bedroom, folded clothes, did more laundry, and made a yummy supper. Convinced dh to try some induction methods
Not that he was hard to persuade. So he's sleeping now LOL and I'm going to try to get him to take a quick walk with me around the hood. Then we're going to my mom's place as the kids miss her and her crazy dog. Tonight we'll put the Easter basket's together, and put candy in the eggs for an egg hunt.

I figure no baby means dh and I can spend time together (going to see if my mom will watch the kids one day). Plus my fil is coming next week so we can get the house in order for his visit. There's lots to do and with Spring totally being here it's motivating me to clean!

#282 ·

Peace and Hope is okay!!!!!!!!! She said they had to admit on the 23rd for Pre-E, and baby was born a couple of days later. They just got home from the NICU.

She said she'll post as soon as she can!!

YAY!!!!!!

AND- I just lost a huge gross glob of bloody mucous!

#284 ·
ETA: YAY FOR P+H!!
I am so happy and relieved that she and the baby are ok!!

laughingfox my MIL started in on how it would be ok for me to go into labor right now when she was over. Sigh. Frankly I don't want to spend Easter in the hospital, thankyouverymuch, even if it does mean she gets to meet her new granddaughters a couple of days earlier. I explained again about my OB not being on call this weekend - somehow that seemed a more valid reason to her for me not going into labor today.
I love my MIL to pieces, I really do, but she gets as impatient as a little kid sometimes.

Oh, and she told us that (despite the muddy soggy ground out there) she plans to hold the Easter Egg hunt in the backyard. Uhm, yeah, girls in their nice dresses running around in the muck. Tom was trying to talk her out of it, but I recognized the tone in her voice, and just told her we would bring rain boots. Thank goodness I don't buy anything that is not machine washable for the girls.

Ginger My dh is fantastic with the kids too. Just watching him with our girls is enough to get him forgiven for almost anything.

As for eggs, could you blow a few out of their shells and dye the shells? That way you have the raw insides that you can scramble and eat. Fortunately, dd1 LOVES deviled eggs, so I will make those for her and the eggs we dyed will get eaten up in short order.

Sme Mmmm... Sounds like some fun times and good eating!!

So, egg dying was fun - my girls turned into egg dying machines! Between the two of them I think they had three dozen eggs (one for us, two for my MIL for the hunt tomorrow) done in about half an hour. Phew. Ellen of course now has purple fingers. Well, at least they coordinate with her dress for tomorrow.

Not sure I am going to make it for Indian food tonight. I am not sure what I ate, but something gave me horrid gas, and I am extremely uncomfortable. Adding Indian food to that seems like an extraordinarily bad idea! Maybe we can do Chinese or something. The main idea is time together anyway.

Ok, I am going to be brave now and try to take a bath all by myself while the girls are awake. We'll see hos that goes.

#285 ·
OH, yay yay yay for P&H!!! I am so glad she's okay!

Rhi, yay for mucous plug loss!

3-4 cm now, contractions every 4-5 minutes.... still hanging out at home, and Dh has gone for a run for Hot Now Donuts at KrispyKreme!! Woohoo!

#287 ·
I'm so glad to that P&H is ok. Thanks for the update, Rhi.

I *think* I had some contractions today, not just BH. DH and I DTD this afternoon. THAT was an exercise in itself, oi. Anyway, had BH as usual, then went to a friend's for a bit and Costco. Was having some serious pressure down on my cervix and that made me feel like I seriously needed to poop.

Then I noticed that the pressure was coinciding with the BH and some pain near my cervix. Had to take a break in Costco while DH finished the shopping. When we got home I noticed the contractions were 3-4 min apart, but only 15-30 seconds long. Watched a movie, and during hte first hour they were pretty consistent. And.... then now they've pretty much fizzled out. Just enough to get me excited about labor possibly starting this weekend.
Still don't know exactly what was going on, but it's more than was going on before, so that's good...

#289 ·
oh, i am so glad to be here and see all of you posting away, only with birth signs everywhere!!

ivy, i cried when i read about your little rebecca joy... rebecca is my name

and my baby is Charlie Reid L___ (one syllable last name)

i know i have missed soooo much, and there's no way i can catch up this time, but i wanted to say i've been thinking of you all and sending
and
dust every day

rhi, i read back far enough (2 pgs) to see you are talking about possible hospital birth and induction. are you just "late?"

mpp, how's it going? has labor progressed??

afm, there is so much to tell. turns out what we thought was PIH was actually pre-e. the last week before the birth, my bp was going up several points a day. we had sort of an emergency meeting w/ our midwives on march 21st, and discussed safe zones of bp for home birth. at that point, though i did have a LOT of swelling in my legs, even up through my knees (and further, though i THOUGHT it was weight gain), my urine was still OK. with our MWs support and encouragement, we decided i should go to my GP on tuesday the 23rd to discuss western meds to quickly drop my bp. when my dr took my bp, it was 168/103, and there was protein in my urine. she was so gentle, and said i should call my husband and that her recommendation was that i go immediately to be observed at our local L&D. she called the attending OB who she's friends w/ and hand wrote an order to give at the ER.

i was reeling, and still hoping we'd get there and they'd be able to stabilize me somehow so i could have my home birth. i think my dr knew i wouldn't leave once i was there, but wanted us to come to that realization slowly.

i can't describe the agony we went through, just making the decision to take those steps into the hospital. i was never afraid, but i knew somewhere inside that things were just not ok, and it really was the best thing.

too much to give details here, but i will be writing this up FOR SURE. i was able, with the incredible, perfect support of my husband and our 2 midwives over the next 2 days, to labor as much on my own terms as possible, starting w/ a foley bulb (go rhi!), progressing to chinese herbs and western herbal tinctures, to a slow pit drip, to labor as naturally as possible (eventually cut the pit in half and no epidural) and have a gorgeous vaginal birth!

i was so sick, and on mag-sulf for almost 40 hrs, and additionally biladelol to bring down my bp. had a U/S that found at 37 weeks, baby's head and femur were measuring 34 and his abdomen 32 weeks, asymetrical IUGR.

heh, he was nursing w/in 10 minutes of being born, but then a critical blood sugar sent him to NICU, another SCARY time, being in L&D post delivery and having him taken away. elevated hematocrit and low weight kept him there, and it was a wild week, til we did our reverse transfer and brought him home thursday.

started breastfeeding him by 12 hrs after birth, and he never had an artificial nipple. he was on IV fluids until BFing became proven enough to sustain him. i met with lactation consultants every. day. they are awesome. he came home at his birth weight, 4 lbs 7 oz

ok, that's the short version. i'm emerging, starting to be able to think past the edges of my vision and my pumping schedule. my heart is so full with gratitude over the beauty of this new life in ours. he's so perfect.

and. thank god for pitocin. it has it's place. and thank god for hospitals, and obs, and nurses, and especially for the team and system of the local hospital here in asheville that trains brilliant drs who listen with respect and give space even when they don't agree.

whoo, i'll shut up now

#291 ·
WOW, P+H, what a story! You are so strong and amazing! Great job on accepting the challenges, striving for your birthing vision even through complications, and congrats on your healthy boy!

Rolenta - congrats to you too, what a beautiful name!

Rhi - jealous of your mucus plug (is that weird or WHAT?!), so exciting that your birth is imminent! Still hoping it comes on naturally for you.

I'm wondering about DoulaAlicia - my DDC buddy - she's been AWOL for awhile...

AFM - not much going on. I had a good midwife appt yesterday, bought my MIL so she would feel connected and involved. Had to ignore the multiple times she mentioned helping out at the birth or visiting in the hospital - I've decided the best tactic to take with her and my own mom is understanding that they want to be there, and also that they can't be there unless we invite them
. So we continue to very gently explain that we want to be there by ourselves, and now just ignore all of the implications that they'll somehow be invited to the birth. Oh well! They'll get to hold their granddaughter at some point and all else will be forgotten.
Anyway. Only 0.5 cm dilated (though I kind of love that the midwife even told me about a "half"! Trying to encourage me) and about 70 percent effaced. Baby's definitely riding low but I still don't have any signs or mucus or contractions or nesting energy or anything. I'm trying to be grateful (you poor mamas who have been having contrax for days or weeks or months even!!) but am getting a little antsy.
DH took me on a lovely date, just walking around town and lunch, and we both felt happy to be connecting, but also kind of scared and overwhelmed realizing that we can be parents any day now. I've been feeling really ready and happy, so now that I feel a bit more "cold feet" about the whole thing... it's kind of stressing me out. I can tell he's getting anxious too. I have a splitting headache from allergies and anxiety, so I'm trying to just take it easy here on the couch. But then I start thinking "HOLY CRAP it's going to happen any day now" and my shoulders start tensing up again...
Sigh. It's good to stay busy but I sure get wiped out easily.

Anyway, yay for all of the good birthing going on! Happy Easter to those that celebrate, happy spring to the rest of us!

#292 ·
Welcome to Olea and Charlie!!!!

P+H, can I tell you a secret? Charlie is one of my FAVORITE boys' names! Good choice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peace+Hope View Post
and. thank god for pitocin. it has it's place. and thank god for hospitals, and obs, and nurses, and especially for the team and system of the local hospital here in asheville that trains brilliant drs who listen with respect and give space even when they don't agree.
I felt EXACTLY the same way after my transfer w/DS. Transfer is hard, but when you have an awesome team of doctors and nurses and LCs behind you, it can be a really good experience. I'm SO glad that even though you didn't get your homebirth, you got as natural a childbirth as was safe for you and little Charlie.

We're so glad to hear that both of you are safe and sound!

AFM - I'm getting tired. Nesty. Restless. Keep telling me that we're talking WEEKS for me here. All this talk of babies has me getting optimistic.

Happy Easter to all of you who celebrate!

#293 ·
P+H: YAY!!!! Congratulations on a healthy baby with as reasonable and gentle a birth as was possible under the circumstances.

Sara, we're going to be pregnant into 2011. Embrace the horror. Abandon hope. It will bring you nothing but SUFFERING.

AFM: I'm getting very grumpy because I'm having all these dumb contractions all the time, and contractions are dumb. And all the time. Did I mention "all the time" and "dumb"? And exhausting. And watch... I'll STILL hit 43 weeks.

I have to want to go through labor to get unpregnant so that I'll be uncomfortable from a normal sized baby instead of a giant. There's something very twisted about being anxious to get your pain sooner rather than later. Pregnancy is dumb.

#294 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
I'm wondering about DoulaAlicia - my DDC buddy - she's been AWOL for awhile...
She was still pregnant as of 10pm today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveneverfails View Post
Sara, we're going to be pregnant into 2011. Embrace the horror. Abandon hope. It will bring you nothing but SUFFERING.

AFM: I'm getting very grumpy because I'm having all these dumb contractions all the time, and contractions are dumb. And all the time. Did I mention "all the time" and "dumb"? And exhausting. And watch... I'll STILL hit 43 weeks.

I have to want to go through labor to get unpregnant so that I'll be uncomfortable from a normal sized baby instead of a giant. There's something very twisted about being anxious to get your pain sooner rather than later. Pregnancy is dumb.
*snort*

I keep forgetting that we'll be pregnant forever. I'm actually feeling very lucky, though. Everyone asks me how I'm feeling (after the obligatory "you're STILL HERE?????" at 36w
), and I can honestly say I might as well be 20w pregnant. Aside from the watermelon I'm hiding under my shirt and the waddle in my steps, I feel good and am having nothing but painless BH contractions.

I'm wondering if maybe G-d is going to be nice this time and give me an uneventful, boring, normal labor to make up for last time. I'd gladly go late for that.

But yes. September. Of 2012. That's a good month to have a baby, right?

#295 ·
P+H
I was so happy to come home and see not just Rhi's message about you but your own message. I've been so worried! I"m so glad you're home with your brand new baby boy! Congratulations on a wonderful birth and a beautiful attitude to boot!

Rolenta
Congratulations to you as well. So happy to hear of yet another birth!

Rhi
Hope you see some action tonight:p I was watching the Duke game at the pizza place, and was thinking of you:p

I spent some time in my mom's kitchen (where my water broke with my ds) LOL. I kept saying we need pizza and birthday cake so we could recreate that moment. No luck. My mom was kind of horrified by the size of my belly (she hasn't seen me in like a month). hehe. But alas nothing. Lots of pelvic floor pressure. I feel like I have to poo all the time. And the baby keeps punching my cervix which is horribly unpleasant but nothing that really goes anywhere. I'm guessing no Easter baby here.

#297 ·
Congrats Rebecca on little Charlie! So glad both of you made it through ok.

I gave in and resorted to pineapple today. Then I tried inserting some EPO and the darn thing wouldn't stay up there.

Now I lay in bed while hubby watches sherlock holmes with the kids.

#298 ·
Rhi, wow, I'm so impressed how your body has stepped up, and it sounds like you are totally on the right track. Even if you don't quite make it on your own, it sounds like your body will be prepared.

Mater, at least your are having fun meanwhile. Yumm

Triony, yay for at least some things starting to happen

Rolenta, congratulations on your new baby! It seems like things went pretty quick for you, or is it just me? I just recently saw your no baby yet posts

P+H, yay, congrats on your baby boy! So glad that you are home now, and all your "adventures" are now behind you. Enjoy this sweet, sweet time together.

Everyone else, hang in there! DH just got back from the store with berry pie, so it's promising to be a good evening. I'm even OK with not having any contractions after a walk and DTD with some evening primrose oil as a lube. I do feel something tightening down there, but mild enough to ignore.

#299 ·
Kind of crashing here as I haven't really posted in this thread. But, I wanted to say to P&H-Congratulations! Your story has been an encrouagement to me as I look at my first induction on Monday, probably using pitocin and anxious about the whole experience. I have gest diab so we're also looking at possible blood sugar issues though my baby is expected at around 10 pounds Very unlike your tiny little guy. So, thank you for posting as much as you did. I'm so glad things turned out as well as they did for both you and your baby and I hope you both continue to do so well!

#301 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sew_crafty_girl View Post
I gave in and resorted to pineapple today. Then I tried inserting some EPO and the darn thing wouldn't stay up there.
I've been inserting it/ them right before bed, with a good pad on... but the funny thing is that when I get up to go pee (one million times) in the middle of the night, and all of the oil dribbles out, I always think for a second "is that my water breaking?!!". Sleepy, pregnant, wishful thinking brain.

I am also doing this big waffle thingy - taking extra EPO orally and vaginally one night - then none at all the next - am I ready or am'nt I?!

I did eat a whole pineapple today, but that was mostly cause it was tasty and on sale

I tried to talk DH into DTD, but he didn't wanna because a. uncomfortable and awkward and unsexy for both of us and b. he suddenly got very nervous about becoming a father ANY DAY NOW and made me promise that this baby is staying in for the weekend.

So I had to tell her - "your dad wants to hold you soon but not now - your due date is monday - let's work together on this."

Oh, and last night I dreamt about having the easiest birth ever - the baby kind of just whooshed out in the shower - but then the hospital took her away and I couldn't find her. Not scary but just irritating... I was trying to introduce DH to her but there was bureacracy stopping us from holding the baby. I woke up going "OK no one takes the baby out of my arms, period!". But that easy birth sure seemed nice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.