Introducing Quinten John! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2010, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...a/HPIM4377.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...a/HPIM4401.jpg
Quinten was born March 22,2010 at 10:43am by emergency c-section. I'd noticed a dramatic decrease of movement over the 2 days prior and then sometime Monday morning, had a dream that the placenta had torn and that he was going to be born today and that I needed to make sure that happened. I woke up at 6am and when I had felt no movement at all by 8am, I called my midwife's office. The office is a 2hr drive from where I live as is the hospital I was planning to deliver at. After expressing my concern that something was very wrong, they said I could come in or if I felt better about it, try to get in to a local dr or even go to the local ER. I tried the OB office first but they said they couldn't see me until 3pm. I had the desperate need to know *now* that he was ok and even driving 2hrs wasn't ok with me so I called up to the OB department at the local hospital, told the nurse who answered what was going on and she said "You just come right up here now and I'll let admissions know you're coming." I asked my best friend if she'd be able to watch my kids for a bit since MIL was not feeling well and she said sure so I dropped them off at her house and checked into the hospital at 9:30am. It took 7 minutes to find the baby's heartbeat initially and then we right away saw serious frequent decells. The nurse went to call the OB who was on call, and while she was on the phone, I had a contraction and the baby's heart went down to almost nothing and then took 2minutes to get back up to 100. The nurse told the OB's office that he needed to get up there NOW. he came running in about 2 minutes later and watched the decells and another contraction and did a quick u/s to determine the baby's position since he'd been breech at my appt 5 days earlier. He'd flipped head down, and the dr also could see for himself just how much fluid I had. At first, he thought we should try a CST to see how the baby responded to the contractions but then I had a few more and he could see what happened without inducing contractions. The dr then told me that you generally see these decells if the cord is compressed but that there was no way this little guy's cord was compressed with all the fluid I had so he didn't know what was wrong but that I was right when I said something was seriously wrong. We could see that he wasn't doing well at all and his heartrate kept staying lower each time it dropped so we made the decision to do a c-section immediately. I was put under general anesthesia and they delivered him 2 minutes later- not breathing, or moving, gray and with a heartrate of 40bpm. With quick care from the peditrician and some oxygen, his 5minute APGAR was up to 7. I later found out that the placenta had indeed detatched- almost completely. It was showing signs of deterioration as was his umbilical cord. There was meconium in the fluid also indicating that he'd been in trouble for some time. I was told that he had a 2-5minute window where had he not been delivered, he'd have died. He spent 48hrs in the NICU, 24hrs on oxygen just for safety and 48hrs on IV antibiotics just for safety. To everyone's amazement, he is fine- alert, active nurses beautifully, is gaining weight. We were both discharged on the afternoon of the 25th.

Me : DD 5/05: DS1 7/06 : DS2 11/07: DS3 3/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 PM

That is such a scary birth!!! My daughter was born with a 1 minute Apgar of 0, and it was terrifying but is absolutely fine today.

Go Mom for having gone with your instinct. I wish you the best in your recovery, and Quinten is absolutely beautiful.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 PM

Praise God for Mama's intuition! I am glad that both of you are doing ok after such a scary ordeal! And welcome to the world Quinten!

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:59 PM

Welcome Quinten!

And that is an AMAZING story. I am so, so, SO awestruck that you listened to your intuition and set into action just in time to save your little guy.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Old 04-01-2010, 12:04 AM

What a beautiful baby. I'm so glad everything turned out so well!

Mommy to two super cute kids.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:14 AM

WOW is he ever handsome! And, I agree, great intuition, I"m so happy it all worked out well!
Old 04-01-2010, 12:25 AM

Whoa! I am amazed at your story! Way to trust yourself & get the help you need!!! I am seriously in awe! Welcome LO!
Old 04-01-2010, 12:34 AM

Congrats! What an amazing story. It gives me chills. I'm so glad you followed your intuition and that everything turned out okay. I didn't even know the placenta could detach in the first place.

Sarah, with 3.5 yo DD Charlotte + brand new baby Eleanor Jane April 28, 2010
Old 04-01-2010, 02:11 AM

Incredible. Amazing. A true miracle. You saved your baby's life! Thank God you listened to your dream and didn't brush anything off as paranoia. Welcome to the world, Quinten!

Drew, mom to Ben (1-7-08), expecting another wonderful babe 4-1-10 via .
Old 04-01-2010, 02:37 AM

Aw, what a beautiful birth story. I know that's not how most mamas want theirs to go, but it sounds like such a miracle, that you listened to your intuition and got your baby help just in time. Thank you for sharing. Welcome, Quinten!

Lena , wife to best friend Joe , mommy to my two sweetie pies, DS1 born 7.7.07 and DS2 just arrived 4.17.10
Old 04-01-2010, 02:48 AM

Praise God you listened to your intuition-Way to go! That's awesome that he is doing so well! Enjoy this little miracle! He is so adorable.

Sara: Separated Mom to , DD (9), , DS (5), DD (3), , & 4/5/10 + 2 & 1
Old 04-01-2010, 02:58 AM

Wow! Congrats and welcome Quinten! It is so wonderful that you were able to intuit something was wrong and take steps to get people to listen! Amazing and empowering! So glad it turned out well!

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Old 04-01-2010, 09:25 AM

Glad you are both doing well now!
Welcome to the world Quinten!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:02 AM

wow, that is so scary--but wonderful that listened to yourself (and your dream!) so happy he is safe and health!!
Congrats!

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
Old 04-01-2010, 10:17 AM

Congratulations and thank GOD!
Amazing that you were so aware. You go mommy!
Take care of yourself, that was a lot to go through.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What a precious baby boy! And that 'miracle' shirt is exactly right! I'm sorry you had such a scary time there, but thank goodness for your intuition and for modern medicine!

Congratulations!

-Rachel
Mommy to Colwyn, 10/03 ~ Lachlann, 8/05 ~ Fiona, 6/08 ~ Niall, 5/10
Old 04-01-2010, 01:09 PM

Wow, I am SO glad you both are alright! He's beautiful. Congrats!

Heidi mum to Isaac (06/06), Matea (04/08), and Naomi (04/10)
Old 04-01-2010, 01:17 PM

What a story! I'm so glad he's alright, and that you followed our intuition. Welcome Quinten!

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:40 PM

Good for you for doing what you needed to, Mama!!!

He's just beautiful. I love the first shot with those wide-open eyes. Just gorgeous.

Don't forget to post Quinten's stats on our Birth Announcements thread, stickied at the top of the DDC!

I hope you have an easy recovery and a wonderful babymoon.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:08 PM

Congrats! That must have been very scary. I am glad that everything is OK and your beautiful boy is here now.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:30 PM

Your Mama's intuition is so strong! I'm so happy you went with it and your little one is ok! Congratulations!

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan

User Tag List