Sprout and I in NICU - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in what is hopefully my second-to-last enforced separation from Sprout.

The 24 hour blood cultures were clean, and his breathing rate has slowed. If the 48 hour culture is also clean (due tomorrow afternoon), his rate stays good, and we jump through discharge hoops (car seat challenge, various educational videos, etc), we'll hopefully be headed home tomorrow evening.

My DH has been amazing, sleeping odd hours so that he can spend part of the day with our DD and hours at night with Sprout (so I can put in earplugs to escape the constant beeping and get some sleep). He's gotten our pediatrician to back us coming home if Sprout's cultures are negative but his rate is still high.

I'm holding up on an hour of sleep here, 30 minutes there. Amazingly enough, through the stress, my milk came in today! That may translate to a 2 hour stretch tonight when DH can hold him and handle the nurses!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#32 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 08:25 PM

jen so glad to hear things are improving. yay for milk!!!

Hope things continue to go well for tomorrow's release and you can get a bit more sleep.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#33 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Jen, so glad to hear that Sprout is doing well! Hopefully his cultures will come back negative and you'll be able to go home soon.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#34 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 09:52 PM

Jen, I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. Hugs to you guys.

Kristin, Lactivist and co-sleeping SAHM. My daughter is 6 yrs old, and my son is 22 mos old. Would love baby #3 shy.gif

selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif lactivist.gif dust.gif

#35 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 10:45 PM

YEah!!!! Sounds like your on yourway out!

The NICU we were in would also pull the curtain like I was doing something shamefull. I asked them to stop as I felt so isolated behind that wall of curatins, not to mention the insult....I told them I was not shy about it at all and didn't need privacy.

I also hated the 'hoops' we had to jump through to get out of the hospital. We actually lived less then 4 blocks from the hospital, I had been walking in and out of the NICU for the past 3 days but I STILL had to ride out of the hospital with babe in the carseat on my lap in a wheelchair. We were able to decline the NICU carseat test (designed for premies or other sickly babies) where they sit in it for an HOUR and test to make sure they are breathing OK. Remember my son was full term, breathed fine and lived 3 blocks from the hospital. We just had to sign a form declining it.

Keep that chin up! Thinking of you!
#36 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 10:46 PM

Yay to you for doing such an amazing job advocating for your family and your baby. What a wonderful Mom! And sounds like a wonderful supportive husband. Congratulations on the birth of this beautiful baby! I hope you are cozy and home soon and this stress seems long in the past. You baby boy benefits so much for your milk, smell, touch, and voice so giving him those things is all you can do right now. Can't wait to hear your birth story.

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
#37 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 11:53 PM

I feel for you Mama, as if it were yesterday for me. My son transferred to the NICU after a homebirth and was there 6 days... I put up with all the same crap that you are. The curtain, the nurses, etc. etc. etc. I refused to leave during shift changes. I was awake for at least 90% of the time of the 6 days. I demanded to be there to hold my boy for EVERY poke and needle they gave him. I changed his diaper as soon as he was wet (they hated that!)

Here I was an exclusively nursing mother and they wouldn't even let me have water in there to drink but the nurses were drinking coffee and eating doughnuts at the nurses desk.

Instead of thanking them all when we were leaving I told them at the nurses station that if it wouldn't get me arrested I would have taken a giant dump on their precious nurses station! It felt SO GOOD to say it out loud!!!

I hope you get out of there as fast as possible with a healthy little baby and can put this behind you. (EMDR therapy helped me tremendously when all was said and done.)

Opinionated Mama to dd 2/23/03, ds 3/20/05 hbac, dd 1/23/08 2hbac, and baby #4 due in June 2010!
#38 of 43 Old 04-03-2010, 12:34 AM

We've BTDT for longer, and it's hard. Our NICU did not accommodate sleeping parents at all--you could sit in a lawn chair or leave, plus we also had the 2 one-hour must-leaves.
We also had a sick newborn and had to go for emergency care that ended up in surgery with similar conditions.

I feel for you mama. It will soon be over!

4 kids under 10
#39 of 43 Old 04-03-2010, 01:26 AM

hugs and prayers!

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
#40 of 43 Old 04-03-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the support and well-wishes!

We are going home!!!!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#41 of 43 Old 04-03-2010, 04:39 PM

Yay!!!!!

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
#42 of 43 Old 04-03-2010, 05:02 PM

yay!

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#43 of 43 Old 04-04-2010, 02:29 PM

Yay for homecoming Now you can enjoy your new family in peace. I bet that feels great.

Lena , wife to best friend Joe , mommy to my two sweetie pies, DS1 born 7.7.07 and DS2 just arrived 4.17.10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page