Sprout and I in NICU - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys. I have a long and wonderful birth story mostly written. But that will have to wait.

Right now I'm typing on my phone from the NICU.

Sprout did great after the birth. However, the midwives left instructions for doing vitals every 4 hours after the birth. At our first check, at 6:30pm, Sprout was breathing very fast. His rate should have been below 60, but it was over 100. The midwife came by and also found it elevated. She recommended we have him checked.

So we went to the local childrens hospital. They did a chest x-ray and saw fluid in his lungs. Around midnight, we were transferred to a transitional nursery for monitoring. It was terrible. DH and I sat in office chairs next to the monitors so we could hold him all night. The docs were passing him around, and no one would take control of his care. My 8-stitch tear was in such pain.

They finally found us a spare room, and I slept for an hour around 2:30am -- my first sleep since waking up in labor at 5:30am the morning before. But then he needed to nurse.

DH went home for 2 hours of sleep while I stayed in the chair until around 9am. Sprout's resp rate was still slightly high, and they pushed for antibiotics. Exhausted and confused, we finally agreed.

Problem was, they didn't know where to put him. He wasn't really sick enough for NICU, but I wasn't leaving him. NICU was the only place that had some room for someone to stay with him.

The antibiotics and blood cultures were started Thursday afternoon. They require a 48 hour stay. I have a chair, Murphy bed, and permission from the doc to do as much of his care as possible.

The stay is terrible. The rules are ridiculous. They have no consessions for exclusively breastfed babies. They act all embarassed and pull the curtain when we nurse. I have to leave him for an hour, twice a day for shift change. I can't eat in the pod -- I have to go out to the waiting room, then do a 3 minute hand wash to get back in.

I have slept 2 hours in the last 39, since I woke up in labor.

There's more, but I don't have the energy. I need all the support I can get from a community who knows the right way to treat babies and moms.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#2 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 09:46 PM

Jen, that's terrible!!! I am so sorry this is happening. I will keep y'all in my prayers.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#3 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 09:55 PM

that sounds horrible.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#4 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
The stay is terrible. The rules are ridiculous. They have no consessions for exclusively breastfed babies. They act all embarassed and pull the curtain when we nurse. I have to leave him for an hour, twice a day for shift change. I can't eat in the pod -- I have to go out to the waiting room, then do a 3 minute hand wash to get back in.
I'm so sorry!
This sounds exactly like afte my HB with my second who had a slight elevated temp.....the NICU people didn't know what to do with a full term baby that had NOTHING wrong with him but a little dehydration. I also had some bad dealings with threats of CPS because we wanted to refuse MOST of the test/treatments as uneeded. I am glad you seem to be getting at least respectful care. The rules ARE riduculous I agree, can't there be a middle ground between infants and the type of care they require? I live in a very hostlie homebirth area too so I am sure that had something to do with it.

I understand how awful that hopspital stay after birth can be when dealing with manipulative hospital staff and mindless universal protocal that has no basis in reality. Did they tell you how long you have to stay untill the antibiotics are done, or untill a culture is determined? Get a timeline from them! Sprout sound like he will be OK, can you get an infant bassisnet so he can sleep in your room with you like the mom's in maternity? Is anyone bringing you good food and hugs?
#5 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 10:20 PM

jen, do you need anything? please let me know if there is anything i can do for you guys since i am local.. i'd love to help really.

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#6 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 10:20 PM

((hugs)) mama!!!

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#7 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 PM

I'm sorry to hear what a rough time you and Sprout have had. You can feel the exhaustion, frustration, and worry in your post. I hope things continue to improve and you're all able to be home together soon.
#8 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 10:38 PM

Just wanting to offer prayers and a

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
#9 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 10:41 PM

Oh wow, how terrifying! I can't believe you're going through that. I hope things improve. Gosh...

Heidi mum to Isaac (06/06), Matea (04/08), and Naomi (04/10)
#10 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 10:43 PM

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with such weird staff/rules on top of everything else.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#11 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 10:45 PM

Hugs and kind thoughts for you and little sprout.
#12 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 10:53 PM

How terrible for you guys, esp after such a wonderful birth

Love that they, who clean up other people's poop, are embarrassed by breastfeeding.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#13 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 10:55 PM

So sorry, lots of support and good thoughts coming your way!
I know that you will both make it through, and soon... and you will be glad you followed your intuition and brought him in and stayed with him, even though it sounds just terrible for now.
You must be so exhausted and uncomfortable. Just keep closing your eyes for as many rests as you can, take lots of deep breaths, try to mentally take you and your Sprout as far away from the suckiness of the situation as you can. F them and their weirdness about breastfeeding (argh!) and just keep repeating "we will be home soon, we will be home soon."
And how good that will feel!!

Can your midwives come in for any support, even a backrub or to lend an ear?
#14 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 11:33 PM

hugs!!

Me : DD 5/05: DS1 7/06 : DS2 11/07: DS3 3/10
#15 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 11:42 PM

I hope he improves ASAP so you can go home and enjoy your babymoon.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#16 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 12:37 AM

Jen, I am so sorry. I hope you and sprout are home safely soon.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#17 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 01:01 AM

So very sorry for what you, dh & little Sprout are going through. My daycare mom is a NICU nurse here in MN and what you've described sounds ridiculous. She would encourage you, as much as you can, to continue advocating the best care for your baby no matter how embarrassed their untrained staff is. Your baby comes first, their feelings don't. (((hugs)))

Sara: Separated Mom to , DD (9), , DS (5), DD (3), , & 4/5/10 + 2 & 1
#18 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 06:31 AM

Oh Jen, how scary! Healing prayers coming your way.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#19 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 09:49 AM

So sorry you are dealing with this! It sounds terrible. I'm sure your sweet baby will be fine though and hopefully you'll be home again soon and can put this behind you and focus on how wonderful the birth was. Thinking of you lots!

It sounds like maybe once you're out of there and more rested and can focus better, you should write a letter or lodge a complaint about your experience. It's totally ridiculous that they don't know how to deal with a breastfed newborn and mama!

Mama to DS (1/07) and waiting to meet #2 4/3/10
#20 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 09:56 AM

Contact the patient ombudsman or patient rights person at the hospital.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#21 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 10:41 AM

Oh, mama! This will all be over soon and you can sleep and nurse and love it up with your little one. What you are doing to stay close and breast feed is so important and your little sprout will be better for it forever!
#22 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, everyone. Reading each supportive reply boosts my spirits and determination to stay and give everyone here a demonstration of how a mom can exclusively breastfeed in the NICU, maybe make things even the slightest bit easier for the next mom who comes along.

I'm feeling more like a newborn's mom and less like a puddle of a human being. Sprout is a great nurser, which is a huge weight off my shoulders and has given them no room to even suggest supplementation (although pumping has come up a time or two). I get an hour or so of sleep between nursings (or blood draws), but it's just typical newborn. I've had some understanding nurses who put off vitals and exams until we've both woken and he's nursed.

So now it's nurse, nap, antibiotics, and wait. Blood culture results should be back tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully, they'll be negative, his breathing rate will be normal, and we can split.

Thank you all again for being so supportive!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#23 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Jen s

request a care meeting if you know he'll be there for a little awhile(from a mom who just got out of 42 days in the NICU)

I was so lucky J had his own room...I am so sorry you're going through this

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#24 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 02:01 PM

You are doing an AWESOME job being there the whole time even though I'm sure you are exhausted and it can't be easy for you immediately pp....I hope his cultures come back perfect and you guys can be out of there really soon. s

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#25 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 02:55 PM

Just wanted to offer an internet

I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you to go through, but it sounds like you are handling things amazingly well. I'll keep you and sprout in my thoughts and hope for a speedy discharge of a healthy baby!

SuzieQ (27), wife to my wonderful husband of 5 years, mom to a beautiful baby boy born 3.28.10
#26 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Sprout is a great nurser, which is a huge weight off my shoulders and has given them no room to even suggest supplementation (although pumping has come up a time or two).
This is mind boggling. I assume they want you to pump for their convenience. I'm so glad you're feeling more positive about the situation, though. God willing, you'll be home very soon.

<>< Alison
#27 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 03:42 PM

Jen, I just wanted to offer you a and tell you it sounds like you're doing everything right and I am sure you are making a huge difference in Sprout's start on life. Best wishes that you guys will be out of there soon!

Momma to born April 18, 2010!
#28 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 05:07 PM

I hope everything is OK and you guys get to come home soon!

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#29 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:

DDC from the HS thread.

GRRRR about the bold. That really irks me! Hello, this is how babies eat!

You are in my thoughts and prayers; sorry you are going through such a rough time!

Happy and in love with my family!
#30 of 43 Old 04-02-2010, 07:16 PM

Jen. I'm sorry you're going through this. It's so absurd that they're having such a fit about nursing. GRRR. Thinking of you both and hope that you get to go home soon.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page