Your opinion needed! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
 
jspeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
40 weeks 1 day TODAY! I have been having steady contractions for 3 weeks now. The last few days they are a lot more real. I went to my doctor appt today and he said I was 3 cm dilated. I was 2 cm dilated last week. They scheduled me to induce April 14th. I DO NOT WANT to do this. From all I have read it sounds like a C section would be better than pitocin.

What do I do?

Take castor oil, black cohosh and eat spicy foods?

Or just hope I go into labor before the 14th?

I lost my mucus plug March 26th
I have lost 3 lbs since week 39
I went from measuring 3 weeks ahead to 39 weeks today.
jspeg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-06-2010, 12:46 PM
 
bubbamummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tucson, Az. Missing Cambridge UK
Posts: 991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspeg View Post
40 weeks 1 day TODAY! I have been having steady contractions for 3 weeks now. The last few days they are a lot more real. I went to my doctor appt today and he said I was 3 cm dilated. I was 2 cm dilated last week. They scheduled me to induce April 14th. I DO NOT WANT to do this. From all I have read it sounds like a C section would be better than pitocin.

What do I do?

Take castor oil, black cohosh and eat spicy foods?

Or just hope I go into labor before the 14th?

I lost my mucus plug March 26th
I have lost 3 lbs since week 39
I went from measuring 3 weeks ahead to 39 weeks today.

why do they want to induce on the 14th? could you refuse that one?

Id probably wait a few more days personally, maybe go on a brisk walk to get that babies head pressing firmly on your cervix, but id leave everything else until I was desperate.

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
bubbamummy is offline  
Old 04-06-2010, 12:53 PM
 
Carita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rural
Posts: 2,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you can have a vaginal birth with pitocin, and since you are so dialated already, i am imagining you would handle an induction much better than someone who is not ready to go. I am assuming thier policy is a 41 week induction. Maybe you can trade the 41 week induction for daily NSTs? My office has policies like that, but if you are willin got be monitored daily, they can be a bit flexible.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
Carita is offline  
Old 04-06-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
 
jspeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Due to the babies size they do not want to wait til 42. 42 is the max you can wait.

So do you think it is less dangerous using pitocin when I am this ready?
jspeg is offline  
Old 04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
 
laughingfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They do not want to wait, but you, in all caps, don't want the induction.
Don't forget who is paying for a service here, it's you, not them. If you're opposed to induction, push for the induction deadline to be moved back.

Is this your first? Some studies have shown that 41weeks 1day is average for first time moms. You're not really even "late" yet.
(I don't even know why they give first time moms a 40 week due date. It's not very realistic.)

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
laughingfox is offline  
Old 04-06-2010, 01:23 PM
 
crazyeight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
since your asking for opinions....

they can't strap you into a crazy jacket, rip out of your house, take you to a hospital, plug you into an iv and keep you there...it's called kidnapping and you could sue for TONS of money! also even IF you show up to hospital i don't even think they could treat you legally if you say NO and don't sign the consent!

you do have 8 days before it comes to that so there's still time.

try everything that you feel like trying for natural inductions but don't stress yourself out! i know its hard though. really really freakin hard.

i think your doing really good being at 3 cm though and a little bit of pit would probably be ok and still give you a natural birth IF *YOU* decide to do it. you can always keep it very very low and turn it off after ctx start.
crazyeight is offline  
Old 04-06-2010, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
 
jspeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know they can't "make me" but I come from a family where "Doctors know best" we kinda just go with what the Doctors recommend. My husband is completely opposite and researches EVERYTHING out on his own forms his own opinion. He is trying to rub off on me.

It is my first so I will hold out hope that I will go into labor naturally SOON!
The last 2 nights have been stronger contractions so hopefully that is a sign.
jspeg is offline  
Old 04-06-2010, 02:22 PM
 
Jeannabna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Relax and forget about the deadline! Youre wasting precious energy on this and you will probably have the baby first anyway. I wouldnt bother arguing until the 14th, but all you have to say if that time comes and you do not want to do it is that you do not consent to an induction at that time, and let them know you are comfortable delivering a "big baby". Have you had any alone time, to really connect with your baby and let him/her know you are ready to meet them? Maybe go to dinner with DH if you can. I did this the day before I had DD2, and I dont know if it was our little date that helped, or the massive amount of Italian food I ingested.

Theres always trigger point, nipple stimulation and all that good stuff too, just to keep you busy while you wait Good luck

Jeanna, proud mama to 3 sweet girls!
Jeannabna is offline  
Old 04-06-2010, 02:25 PM
 
ann_of_loxley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gloucestershire, UK
Posts: 5,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you do?
You wait patiently for your baby to come. If they are not here by the 14th, you kindly (or not so kindly if you have to) refuse induction. Its your body, your baby - you don't have to do it (no matter what country you live in).
Baby's come when they are ready!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
ann_of_loxley is offline  
Old 04-06-2010, 02:25 PM
 
jsh7809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree, try to hold out to what feels right to you as much as you can! Maybe since you are so close, induction won't end up being necessary. Fingers crossed.
That said (and this is my first baby), I don't know why pitocin would be anything like a C section if done properly. I mean, I've seen "the Business of Being Born" and read a lot of alternative information, but pitocin definitely has its place. My mom's first kid was born with pitocin induction (after her water broke and many hours passed with no contractions, they started with pitocin to avoid infection risk, etc) and, although I'd like to avoid that myself, she swears there was no noticeable different in size/ length/ intensity of contractions between that and her 100% naturally started births. She was able to labor with no other medications or pain relief with that and her other 2 births. And I have several friends with the same story.
So, I have to think that maybe just a teeny bit of pitocin to get your body creating productive contractions isn't always a bad thing. I'm not recommending it for you, just throwing in another perspective that was passed along to me. My mom is a big, big advocate of natural birth but found pitocin necessary and a benefit to get her 2 week late, already-ruptured-membrane birth going.
Good luck!!
jsh7809 is offline  
Old 04-06-2010, 02:28 PM
 
jsh7809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PS - you sound WAY further along than me (my due date was yesterday and I've had no prelabor signs)! I'm jealous
My midwife/ hospital says they'll want to induce me at 2 weeks "overdue" but I figure if it comes to that and everything looks healthy, they can't make me (unless I'm ready or they have darn good reason that I am comfortable with). I suppose they can reject my care if it comes to that, but that's a long ways away, pretty extreme - and I know we can't be the only women saying "no" to induction. Stay strong!
jsh7809 is offline  
Old 04-06-2010, 02:40 PM
 
s_kristina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: FL
Posts: 2,327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Most of my family is also of the doctor knows best variety as well, but after dealing with allergy issues among other things I've learned more about doctors. The NP my children saw where we used to live was always happy to see any new studies I could bring her on allergies and breastfeeding as she was well aware she didn't know all. I've also seen widely differing advice from doctors on the same subject which means they can't all be right. For me it's very important to research things and try to make the best choices I can for my family whether they coincide with what a particular dr suggests or not.

Without other reasons pushing for an induction I would not agree to one just because I was 41 weeks as a FTM. Too many studies point at FTM needing longer before they are ready to go in to labor naturally. There are also women who just need to gestate longer for their baby to be ready to be born. My oldest was born on her edd my second at 41 weeks, third at 36+3 and we expect this one would be 40 or more weeks before he came on his own. I'm also very leery of anyone that says a baby needs to come early because of their size. In most cases a woman's body will not grow a baby bigger than she can birth. Due to my high blood pressure I am having more us than I would be comfortable with otherwise, but we got to see a little chub yesterday. An important fact that the doctor doing the us and I agreed on is that fat squishes really well when baby is being born.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
s_kristina is offline  
Old 04-06-2010, 02:49 PM
 
jolesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WA, USA
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if you can avoid the pitocin then do it - i was induced with my first (for reasons of insanity due to itching/colestasis) and it was not great. sslloowww progression and terrible contractions - more like one long contraction for 17 hours and then i had an epidural (though i had back labour so that was part of it).

anyway what about trying a lot of sex? maybe someone suggested that already but i thought i would throw it out there. lots of sex is better than induction.
jolesh is offline  
Old 04-06-2010, 03:47 PM
 
S.T.B.MRSJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did they even mention a FOLEY CATHETER to you??? Since you are already 3 cm dilated, this could work perfectly for you, without pitocin. The Foley Catheter is a small balloon they insert into your cervix and gradually, it is filled with air and dilates your cervix, in a much more natural way. From all that I have heard, do NOT use Pitocin!!! Watch the movie "The Business of Being Born". After the description there, I would NOT want it!!! Also, i was at the hospital a few weeks ago for False Labor, and I overheard the nurses in the hallway. THey made mention of a patient who was just given pitocin, so then one of the nurses chimed in, " Go ahead and call the anesthesiologist, she is going to want it now." NICE< huh?
S.T.B.MRSJ is offline  
Old 04-06-2010, 03:48 PM
 
Georgetown HB Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspeg View Post
I know they can't "make me" but I come from a family where "Doctors know best" we kinda just go with what the Doctors recommend. My husband is completely opposite and researches EVERYTHING out on his own forms his own opinion. He is trying to rub off on me.

It is my first so I will hold out hope that I will go into labor naturally SOON!
The last 2 nights have been stronger contractions so hopefully that is a sign.
No, the doctor does not "know best." Your baby and your body know best. You are not "overdue" there is no such thing. I refuse to even tell anyone what the stupid date on the due date wheel says. This baby will come out when it is ready. I would suggest you stay at home and let your baby choose its birthday. Your body will not grow a baby too big for you to deliver. And the reason you are probably now measuring smaller is because the baby has engaged itself and is very low in your pelvis which is huge sign that the baby is not going to be too big.

Lisa
Georgetown HB Mom is offline  
Old 04-06-2010, 06:30 PM
 
boheime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
What do you do?
You wait patiently for your baby to come. If they are not here by the 14th, you kindly (or not so kindly if you have to) refuse induction. Its your body, your baby - you don't have to do it (no matter what country you live in).
Baby's come when they are ready!
this, exactly!

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
boheime is offline  
Old 04-06-2010, 07:02 PM
 
briome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You have been given an artificial 'deadline' that you should politley decline.....
It does NOTHING for you or you babies health other then put it in more danger. Obviously your body is 'on it's way' to being in real labor. Why force its hand with dangerous interventions when it is VERY likely if left alone you should be FINE. http://www.scienceandsensibility.org/?s=post+dates

Big Baby Bull is well known for ruining many women's chances of having a succsessful VBAC and it is simply bizzaro that YOU happen to have a pelvis that is malformed.

See-http://enjoybirth.wordpress.com/2009/06/29/big-baby-bull/

Pictoin IS more dangerous in VBAC's and I don't see any MEDICAL reason why they NEED to push it on you. (your BP, baby in clear danger etc)

IF your respect (and need to obey) the doctor is more then your feelings of fear and uselessness at what is proposed, then go ahead and do what you are told. You have the capacity to create your own script at how this will happen. It may be a little unpleasant but you are not putting your baby in danger by going over a bit/ not agreeing with the date you were given.

Remember that what they propose is what they usually do. They do it all the time. This is one of your few births. You are allowed to be a little bit of a
bad paitent (not just saying 'yes' to everything) to get what you need.

We are here for you whatever you deccide. I know it is hard being you are already in a vulerable position but find that strength for that baby!
briome is offline  
Old 04-06-2010, 08:37 PM
 
4lilfarmers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: vermont
Posts: 2,893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbamummy View Post
why do they want to induce on the 14th? could you refuse that one?

Id probably wait a few more days personally, maybe go on a brisk walk to get that babies head pressing firmly on your cervix, but id leave everything else until I was desperate.


i say have sex, go hiking (i found a great hiking spot with a steep hill to help with ds2) , or just hike up and down the stairs, etc. 8 days is still a while and it could happen anytime!

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
4lilfarmers is offline  
Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 PM
 
leavemealone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you a VBAC? If not, I would take a pit induction over a scheduled c-section. However, that is your choice to make. Your baby will eventually come on it's own but 40w 1d is not a cause for concern on it own. Even a "big baby" is not a cause for concern, but lots of drs will play that card to convince women to induce. My c-section was for a 9 lb 6 oz baby; my two VBACs were 9 lb 10 oz and 10 lb 13 oz. U/S predictions were wrong for both of them.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
leavemealone is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off