Happily Being Induced - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SO, we went to the doctor today and he confirmed, I'm not having a baby, I'm having a linebacker!!! HE weighs around 9lbs 13 oz already!!! SO, if he does not make an appearance this week end, I am happily being induced on Monday. Judge me not, please. I am soooo ready and happy, and I think as long as that is the mind set I am going in with, I will be happy overall.
#2 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 02:02 AM

If you feel good about it, that's really what matters most! :

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#3 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 02:07 AM

Wish you the best!! I'll be interested to see what his actual weight is.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#4 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 06:55 AM

This is not judgement but caveat, in case you truly do not know: there is a thread in Birth and Beyond right now about fetal weight estimates with many mamas citing discrepancies of a full pound or two. It's great to have a positive attitude if you do end up with an induction, but know that one's attitude doesn't change higher risk of adverse outcome. Just don't want you to be someone who wishes later on that someone had told her, or one who ends up with an induction gone badly and a baby that was actually only 8 or 9 pounds...

Otherwise, if you know all of this.... happy birthing mama!!!

4 kids under 10
#5 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

I know about the variance, but it seems all my friends babies weight varied GREATER than what was said. They have told me since day one, he would be a big baby. I'm just glad for this to be over and to hold my baby, regardless of his weight.
My cervix although not dilated more than 1.5 or so, is pretty favorable considering I'm almost completely effaced, so hopefully that helps. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't afraid of the pitocin (ugh), but I'm still going to do my best not to have any drugs.
#6 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Crashing here- those are soooooooo inaccurate. My son's was off by 2 lbs. and the u/s due date was wrong. He was barely 7 lbs. and premature and has neurological delays from being induced with a "big baby" u/s.

So good luck if you decide to go through with it. "Big baby" is actually not a valid medical reason for induction. And inductions are VERY risky.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#7 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 12:08 PM

DDC crashing.

Fat is squishy. It's not the weight of the baby that matters so much as the circumference of its head. But even big-headed babies can be born naturally and without tearing.

One concern about being induced is that if this baby really is as big as they say, you will need to be able to move and change positions in order to deal with contractions and pushing. Having to experience Pitocin induced contractions, being hooked up to an IV and fetal monitor, and not being able to get into favorable positions can lead to need for (more) pain relief which in turn leads to more interventions.

No judgment, but if your baby doesn't make an appearance this weekend it is because your baby is NOT READY to be born
#8 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 12:38 PM

Sorry, DDC crashing, but even ACOG doesn't recommend inducing soley for suspected big baby (macrosomia). Aside from gestational diabetes and pelvic deformities, your body won't grow a baby too big to birth. And *you* may be ready, but obviously *he* isn't (I have a friend who's scheduled C-section turned into a 9-pounder in the NICU with respiratory distress). And be aware that inducing automatically bumps your C-section risk from 33% to 50%. Be sure you have *all* the facts before jumping into something like this, not just what your OB has decided to share with you.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#9 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 12:57 PM

Fat may squish, but bone structure doesn't and a seriously too large bone structure can be unsafe. Yeah, I got my daughter's 17 1/2 inch shoulders out without tearing. She, however, was born without a heartbeat and had a full resuscitation on my kitchen floor.

I'll agree that for most cases the "big baby" thing is bogus, but I absolutely hate the "fat squishes" rationale. A baby with a bone structure of a baby 3 months old and a plump baby with an average full term size bone structure are not remotely the same thing even if their birth weight might be the same.

To the OP, I understand being miserable. And I understand the concern about a big baby. I just also want to make sure that you know that pitocin induction increases the risk of shoulder dystocia in babies who are very big as well as post partum hemorrhage, which is more common with very large infants. If you're seriously concerned about the size of the baby and the chances of shoulder dystocia, just from my own experiences and what I've seen with my 10 and 11 lb infants, I would consider going for a c-section instead.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#10 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 01:03 PM

My sister's ultrasound estimated baby at 6.8lbs, "plenty big" to come out when a minor complication came up that would have put her in bed rest otherwise - but baby was really only 4.4lbs, waaaaaaay too small, and she would have been better off waiting. It's a tough call but I hope things work out favourably for you.
#11 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 01:06 PM

Good luck! I wish you the best and look forward to your birth announcement - hopefully this weekend so the induction is avoided.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#12 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

He has been measuring at least one to two weeks ahead the entire time. According to the date I believe I conceived, I would be 40 weeks today, only 9 days different from what the doc says. My doctor is amazing and discussed all options, including WAITING with me, before we came to a final decision. He did not push for induction or anything, he wanted everything to be completely natural. I pushed for it, it was my husband and my decision.
As far as the fat squishing thing, his bones measure almost 42 weeks in size, so he isn't just chunky, he is large.
Coming into this pregnancy, I wanted the whole home birth experience, but after discussing things with DH, we ended up deciding to go the hospital route. And again, this induction is another decision we are happy with.
#13 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Leopard View Post
DDC crashing.

Fat is squishy. It's not the weight of the baby that matters so much as the circumference of its head. But even big-headed babies can be born naturally and without tearing.

One concern about being induced is that if this baby really is as big as they say, you will need to be able to move and change positions in order to deal with contractions and pushing. Having to experience Pitocin induced contractions, being hooked up to an IV and fetal monitor, and not being able to get into favorable positions can lead to need for (more) pain relief which in turn leads to more interventions.

No judgment, but if your baby doesn't make an appearance this weekend it is because your baby is NOT READY to be born
Yes, that. I do wish you the best whatever you decide to do. And I do encourage you to tune in to your baby and see if perhaps he/she just may nor be ready to make an appearance just yet... either way it is ALL perfect and I wish you an empowering, safe birth.

Free-birthing, un-schooling (Waldorf style), extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering Earth Mama to Kayleb, ( 10/07) and Anaya ( 5/10)! Joyfully married to my beloved I hug trees and plant seeds.
#14 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 01:52 PM

wow....i am facing induction as well but i'm not nearly so at peace with it! i'm finding it really hard to accept that my body isnt going into labor and although i don't LIKE induction i also don't want this to be a large baby and not because i'm afraid i can't birth him but i have so many fears about him growing up so fast already that even having him be a 9 lber makes me sad.

i'm glad you came to terms with it and your the one who decided though!
#15 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.B.MRSJ View Post
He has been measuring at least one to two weeks ahead the entire time. According to the date I believe I conceived, I would be 40 weeks today, only 9 days different from what the doc says. My doctor is amazing and discussed all options, including WAITING with me, before we came to a final decision. He did not push for induction or anything, he wanted everything to be completely natural. I pushed for it, it was my husband and my decision.
As far as the fat squishing thing, his bones measure almost 42 weeks in size, so he isn't just chunky, he is large.
Coming into this pregnancy, I wanted the whole home birth experience, but after discussing things with DH, we ended up deciding to go the hospital route. And again, this induction is another decision we are happy with.
40 weeks is not a magical date where a buzzer goes off and the baby is done. The magical date is the date the baby picks. The baby triggers labor once its lungs are mature and completely ready. I am a former NICU respiratory therapist and I have seen so many babies that were induced because they thought the baby was too big, mom was tired of waiting, tired of prodromal labor, etc. etc. and so many of those babies end up in the NICU with respiratory distress because duh they were not ready and they were forced out. You don't know exactly the moment conception occurred. You could be off by several days and those days matter to the baby's development. U/S is not reliable at all in determining fetal size. And your body will not grow a baby so large that it can not deliver. I am glad that at this moment you are happy with your decision but I would hate for you to get on the other side of that and be recovering from a c-section from a failed induction with a baby in the NICU being poked and prodded and have major regrets that you did not wait a few extra days and trust your baby and your body enough to trigger labor on their own. As far as I know no one has been pregnant forever.

Good luck,
Lisa
#16 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 02:04 PM

Good luck mama. I'm not sure if you were looking for support-only ... or are willing to hear other experiences/options/advice...???

Since you posted this on MDC ... even though you SAY you are happy ... perhaps there is some part of you that knows you should not be induced. I imagine a mainstream pregnancy forum would result in a different response!

In my experience, pitocin contractions are unbearable and required several drugs. Pit is the first of many interventions, and you state you wanted to go drug-free. Once they get you on pit, they get you on an epidural, then they get to strap you in bed with a monitor. Then your body can't move to push out the baby uphill, and then they say the baby is in distress and gladly tell you they will swoop in and save the day with a c-section!

I could not have gone drug-free on pit. I was forcefully induced and it ended in C/S and NICU.

My HBAC contractions were completely bearable, drug-free, and just yelling the F-word allowed my to deal with the pain.

It's not too late to change your mind. (If you choose)
#17 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 02:18 PM

DDC crashing also...

I am going to reiterate that pitocin contractions are not something you want to deal with. I ended up with a C-section after 30 hours of pain-killer free labor...26 natural and 4 with pitocin. After those last 4 hours I was begging them to get the kid out of me however they could.

In retrospect I realise I had not fully educated myself on the risks of a C-section because I really never believed that I would have one. C-sections suck. I'm not going into details here because I think you probably need support more than fear, but if you are going to take this route at least do a little bit of research on C-sections so that you know what might happen.

On a side note announcing an induction on MDC is akin to throwing raw meat to wolves. No disrespect intended.

Love and strength to you! The last week/s of pregnancy are in some ways harder than everything that comes before. One way or another you will get to hold your sweet baby soon XD
#18 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveneverfails View Post
To the OP, I understand being miserable. And I understand the concern about a big baby. I just also want to make sure that you know that pitocin induction increases the risk of shoulder dystocia in babies who are very big as well as post partum hemorrhage, which is more common with very large infants. If you're seriously concerned about the size of the baby and the chances of shoulder dystocia, just from my own experiences and what I've seen with my 10 and 11 lb infants, I would consider going for a c-section instead.
I can't find stats linked to pit induction and shoulder dystocia but seeing how you are usually confined to bed on your back, it makes sense. Movement and hands & knees are the best for prevention and getting over sticky shoulders or shoulder dystocia. Position is more of a concern than size. Average sized babies account for over 50% of shoulder dystocias.

Unless you have a very small pelvis, those weights are not actually risks for shoulder dystocia and NOT a medical reason for an elective c-section.

#19 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 03:19 PM

The way I understand it, the pit can also force harder contractions. Harder contractions can make for a more forced descent, which can leave the pelvis with less time to expand. A less expanded pelvis give less room for a baby to maneuver, and less room for a care provider to do the necessary maneuvers to reduce a shoulder dystocia. Also, pit has a known risk of fetal distress, and the dead last thing you want going into a situation where shoulder dystocia is a greater risk is to have that baby's oxygen already somewhat compromised.

That is why I personally plan home births but would evaluate measurements on ultrasound for a baby with weight suspected to be 10 lbs or more to see how head circumference and abdominal circumference match up. And if the head circumference was significantly smaller than abdominal circumference, I would go for the elective c-section. If the baby size is that big a risk, my personal feeling is that I would feel safer going for the caesarian. A 3 minute dystocia where your baby is born essentially dead really does color your view on things.

I'm going to assume you mean that normal weights aren't a risk for shoulder dystocia, not that true 10 and 11 lb weights are not a viable medical reason for an elective c-section. It's not a clear cut case like a placenta previa, but one where people's individual comfort levels, histories and prudential judgment really do come into play.

Shoulder dystocia and macrosomia are complicated, multifocal issues that really can't be reduced to "OH NOES!! THE APOCALYPTIC LARGE INFANT OF DOOM!!!" or "pfft.. that's fine! Your body wouldn't grow a baby you couldn't give birth to, and babies ALWAYS come when they're ready!" I don't trust ultrasound measurements of fetal weight, because I found a Henci Goer post citing a study where 60% babies referred for ultrasound for suspected macrosomia and identified by ultrasound as macrosomic were found at birth to be under the 4000 gram cut off. That's obscenely inaccurate. But I would trust my own feelings coupled with my midwife's judgment that by palpation an infant was around the 10 lb mark, and that's where *for me* concern about size starts to get really understandable.

To the OP, I hope that everything goes as smoothly as possible and happy babymooning!

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#20 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 04:26 PM

Just ddc crashing to say that 3 years ago I birthed a 10 pound 12 ounce big boy with big bones at home, on his due date. He was so smart, and didn't actually restitute (turn his shoulders) so his shoulders came out crooked and did not catch on my pubic bone. My contractions were never very close together or hard (as sometimes is with larger babies) but it took a long time- 40 hour labor. I think it worked out because nobody was messing with him or trying to get him to come faster or to be in a different position. My body did know how to birth him and it felt like he was an active participant in it all working out. I don't think that "big" babies are something to be afraid of, as long as they aren't artificially grown big due to Diabetes/too much sugar in diet or consuming too many dairy products containing artificial growth hormones. Just my two cents- it's an interesting discussion.
Good luck and blessings to the original poster~~!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#21 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Last year I attended a homebirth of a baby that weighed in at 13.5lbs and was 23 inches long with a 15.5 head. Labor was only 2 hours and she pushed that baby out in about 10 minutes. Mom and baby were perfectly healthy, no GD, no bad eating habits, just a big baby. Can you imagine how horrified a hospital would have been and all the interventions that mom and baby would have gotten if she had gone to an OB?

Lisa
#22 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate all the feedback, even judgement of my decision. But, again, this is a decision we have made and are at peace with. I have researched everything about Pitocin and have watched the "Business of Being Born" about 10 times. I could just as well find argument to not have babies at home, due to complications that could arrive, but again, I am not the one to judge anybody else on their decisions or pressure my opinions on them to change their minds. I think that a positive attitude and being at peace with a decision, regardless of what it is, is what is important.
#23 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 08:11 PM

DDCC

I just wanted to give you some plain and simple support.

Every woman and her partner has to make decisions regarding themselves and their baby. These can sometimes be difficult decisions but they are yours and yours alone to make. Just because someone's idea of birth vastly differs from anothers idea of birth does not give anyone the right to judge or really even question.

I want to wish you the best with the birth of your baby and I look forward to reading your birth story.

I know all about making decisions others won't agree with but we need to do what we think is best.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#24 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.B.MRSJ View Post
I appreciate all the feedback, even judgement of my decision. But, again, this is a decision we have made and are at peace with. I have researched everything about Pitocin and have watched the "Business of Being Born" about 10 times. I could just as well find argument to not have babies at home, due to complications that could arrive, but again, I am not the one to judge anybody else on their decisions or pressure my opinions on them to change their minds. I think that a positive attitude and being at peace with a decision, regardless of what it is, is what is important.
I just wanted to say that no one is trying to attack. Many of us on here I know have had induction complications that we wish we could go back and change...if only someone had told us the facts. We just care, so we're sharing our knowledge. I don't see judgement, just care.

#25 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 10:46 PM

Sending you good vibes! I hope everything goes great and enjoy your little one!!!!

April 5th grade teacher and wife to hubby Justin : is expecting her first in April 2010!! Finally!!:
#26 of 28 Old 04-26-2010, 11:29 AM

is there an update for us? getting worried...

eta: duh, just realized someone posted a thread on this. oops.

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#27 of 28 Old 04-27-2010, 11:46 PM

Hi.

Wanna say how nice it is to hear the support for this mama.

And on the other hand, I am highly discouraged reading the JUDGEMENT calls, as this mama has clearly requested to be withheld.

I'm currently pregnant with our third child (boy). Our second came with true, really freakin' scary shoulder dyc. His colar bone was not broken, but with the strained nerves, our newborn could not move his arm for 1 week. And yes, my 'linebacker' was large at 10 lbs. 12 oz.

I realize everyone is saying size does not 'necessarily' play a role...however, SD is a doc's/midwife's worst nightmare & size is something to consider. And as a doula, watching a SD happen with a privious client was a huge reality check for me.

My 'due date' was Aprile 25th (waiting patiently!) ...and because of my past SD, a ultrasound was ordered...and yes, he's measuring big. Am I concerned? Of course, I'm a mother and I want a gentle birth for both my baby and myself.

It's been my observation that my doctor is fully supportive with my decision-making: she has offered a cesarean (which for me personally, is a thank you, but no thank you), she has offered an induction, but has said she will not induced until my bishop score goes up. But most importanly for me, my doctor wants me to have spontaneous labor, because she feels laboring & pushing out a large baby will be faster and more beneficial for both myself and baby. She feels inducing will be a harder task when a large baby is a factor. Besides, she's made it clear ACOG doesn't even make it an option. Hopefully, my "little guy" will decide to come out soon...sooner than later, please!!!

Mama, if you feel you have discussed all options, AND feel at peace, then do what you need to do, especially, if you have had prior SD and large babies. I think all the information is out there...you just need to make the right decision for YOURSELF AND YOUR BABY.

Feeling at peace and happy with your decision alone, can help aid you labor and birth. Empower yourself with knowledge and with support.

Happy Birthing!
#28 of 28 Old 04-27-2010, 11:49 PM

I'm so embarrassed for all the spelling mistakes...sorry.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page