Introducing Cecilia Ivy! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 04-17-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It took me a while to get back on the computer after leaving the hospital. Cece's almost 2 weeks old now. But here's the birth story!

Introducing:
Cecilia Ivy
Born April 6, 2010 at 3:18 pm.
6lbs, 3oz and 18.25" long.

On Monday night April 5, around 7 pm, I began having contractions. I didn't know what they were at first, though, and honestly thought that I just had pretty bad gas. When Chris got home from work shortly thereafter, we went for a walk. I had sporadic contractions throughout the walk, but because they weren't becoming more regular, I didn't really think anything of it.

Around 9 pm I began to pay closer attention to the contractions, and found that they were coming a little more regularly, but still more than 6 or 7 minutes apart. By 11pm, I was waking Chris up to start timing them with me, as they were getting even more regular. We timed the contractions until 1 am on Tuesday, when we decided it was time to go ahead and go to the hospital. By this point they were regularly 3-5 minutes apart and lasting around a minute each.

Once at the hospital, I was checked. I'd been 2-3 cm dilated for a few weeks already, so when I was checked during admission and was at 5-6, I took it as a good sign that I really was going to have my baby soon. But, it became apparent very quickly that there was a problem-- my blood pressure, which had been quite low throughout pregnancy, was really high, like mid 190s over mid 110s. And there was protein in my urine. So, the fear of preeclampsia became very real very quickly. I was admitted and we were brought to a labor and delivery room, where we'd remain for the next 12 hours or so. Unfortunately, my own OB was out of town, so we were dealing with the on-call OB from the practice.

Our birth plan was to have as natural a birth as possible, without medication, intervention, or unnecessary procedures. However, the possibility of preeclampsia made us stray from that plan almost from the get go. With the fear of preeclampsia fresh in our minds, we had our first big decision - The doctor recommended that I get an epidural, because it would help to bring my pressure down (through pain management). After Chris and I deliberated for a bit, we decided that it was probably a good idea. By this point, all we could think of was what would keep our baby safe and keep me safe and it was a compromise that we were willing to make (particularly with the looming possibility of the C-section cure to the BP too). Once I had the epidural and a dose of blood pressure medication, the pressure started to come down. The treatment for BP as high as mine was typically includes a hefty dose of Magnesium Sulfate, followed by a slow drip over the next 24 hours, but our nurses were great and knew that we wanted to balance intervention and medication with the natural progression. They suggested that we only do the drip, and to couple it with about twice the volume of IV fluids, so that more of it passes straight through, and there's less groggy baby syndrome afterward. And happily, it worked exactly like it was supposed to.

So, with my pressure down and the pain block in place, I labored for a couple of hours and got to 7 cm dilated and completely effaced by 10 am. Cecilia was still at a -2 station, and my bag of waters was bulging out of my cervix. At that time, the doctor suggested breaking my water to get things moving along. Again, her biggest concern was getting Cecilia moving so that I could avoid preeclampsia and having an emergency C-section. We agreed and my water was broken a little after 10.

By 12:45 I was fully dilated and ready to push. We got going right then and I got her down to near crowning. We could see and feel the (large amount of) hair on her head poking out. But my contractions were starting to lessen at this point; they were about half the strength they had been and continued to peter out (I think it was from so much medication in my system). Our options were also starting to get slimmer, as I had been pushing for 2 hours and her head had been in the canal for pretty much that entire time. The options quickly became a C-section or an episiotomy and a little bit of help from the vacuum pump to get her head out. We opted for door number two, and the rest is history. With a snip and a very judicious application of the vacuum, Cecilia Ivy was born at 3:18 pm. She weighed 6 lbs 3 oz at birth (she's at 5 lbs 12 oz now), and measures 18.25" in length. She was amazingly alert from the moment she came out, tracking everyone and everything with her eyes. She snuggled skin-to-skin on me for an hour or so, and even latched on to my breast for a good 20 minutes of that time.

I'm still a little bit sad that our natural birth went out the window, and that we had to have the interventions. But the bottom line is that Cecilia needed to come out healthily, and needed a healthy mama who wasn't having seizures or stroking out during birth. And, all along, Chris and I agreed that we were more concerned with what happened postpartum over the actual labor and delivery, since we knew we had to be realistic with my chronic illnesses. Happily, we got everything we were looking for postpartum. We were able to transition into recovery with Cecilia and avoid her spending lots of time in the nursery. Our pediatrician signed off on the injection of vitamin K, the erithromycin ointment, and the rest of the routine procedures we did not want to do. The nursing staff was absolutely great, and has respected our wishes completely.

And Cecilia couldn't possibly be more perfect! She is so amazingly beautiful, and amazingly sweet and laid back. Our gorgeous little girl loves to snuggle and follows both Chris' and my voice around when she hears us. She spends most of her time snuggled in one of our arms, and I absolutely can't sleep without her.

She eats pretty well, though nursing is still an uphill battle (I had a breast reduction 10 years ago). We're still learning how much to supplement with our donated breast milk; currently she takes around 4 oz of supplemental milk a day, on top of what she gets from my breasts. There was apparently more tissue damage to my right breast than my left; that nipple is very hard to get her latched onto, so most of the time I nurse her on the left and pump and feed her what comes from the right. Yesterday at the doctors she had gained 3 ounces from when we were in on Monday, and the doctor was happy with that gain. I will still give her more supplement if she seems to want more food, the 4 oz a day is a minimum at this point.

Sleep deprivation is...wow, really hard. I guess I underestimated how tired and worn out I would be! But last night wasn't quite as hard as the previous, so maybe I'm getting used to it?

Anyway, enough talk from me. Here are a couple of pictures!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...3/cecebath.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...eceswaddle.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...uce-noname.jpg
(it looks weird at the bottom cause I blurred out our last name )

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...nai13/cece.jpg

She gets more and more beautiful with every passing day. God, I am so in love!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#2 of 20 Old 04-17-2010, 05:38 PM

Oh my goodness, is she ever cute! Congratulations, what a little lovebug!
#3 of 20 Old 04-17-2010, 05:45 PM

congrats aimee! did you get out of all the nursery time or just some of it? i ended up staying with reeve the entire time he was there cause they refused to let us not go! sounds like you had a pretty good birth and are doing good at adjusting! welcome little girl!
#4 of 20 Old 04-17-2010, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

She came right to recovery with us, no nursery time. But that first night, her body temperature dropped and they took her to the nursery for 2 hours around 2 am. I was still on the magnesium IV, catheter, etc and essentially chained to my bed. It was the worst two hours ever. I cried and cried, and finally forced myself to work on the birth story since I clearly couldn't rest. Thankfully that was the only time she was away from me.

#5 of 20 Old 04-17-2010, 06:17 PM

4 kids under 10
#6 of 20 Old 04-17-2010, 06:24 PM

What a sweetie! I had to read because the name in the title caught my attention - I love those names! They were on the short list for my dd.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#7 of 20 Old 04-17-2010, 06:36 PM

Yay! Congrats! She's so beautiful!

Just wondering-- are you using the SNS or the lactaid? I got the SNS, but now I'm suddenly hearing a lot of good things about the lactaid, and am wondering if I should have gotten that one instead.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#8 of 20 Old 04-17-2010, 06:39 PM

She's beautiful! Congratulations!

*** 5 **** 10 **** 15 **** 20 **** 25 **** 30 **** 35 * * * 40
#9 of 20 Old 04-17-2010, 06:54 PM

Congrats!! And good for you nursing after a reduction, that's got to be tough but I'm so glad to hear you're fighting for it!

Nursing a toddlerfly-by-nursing1.gifNurturing a preschooler jog.gif   

ribboncesarean.gifx2

#10 of 20 Old 04-17-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingfox View Post
Yay! Congrats! She's so beautiful!

Just wondering-- are you using the SNS or the lactaid? I got the SNS, but now I'm suddenly hearing a lot of good things about the lactaid, and am wondering if I should have gotten that one instead.
We're using the SNS. I hear great things about the Lactaid, but we've had no issues with the SNS so I don't plan on switching!

#11 of 20 Old 04-17-2010, 08:28 PM

Congratulations

I was just thinking about you today and wondering how you were doing. How are the cats? I mention this only because my poor cat was so scared of her the first day. He walked around slinking with his tail all puffed out.

She's beautiful. Love all the hair.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

#12 of 20 Old 04-17-2010, 09:07 PM

Congratulations!!

She looks just like her 3D ultrasound picture, how cute! My dd looked nothing like hers

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#13 of 20 Old 04-17-2010, 09:31 PM

Congrats! She's beautiful.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#14 of 20 Old 04-18-2010, 11:42 AM

Congratulations!! She is precious!!!!

Kristin, Lactivist and co-sleeping SAHM. My daughter is 6 yrs old, and my son is 22 mos old. Would love baby #3 shy.gif

selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif lactivist.gif dust.gif

#15 of 20 Old 04-18-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaGinger61 View Post
Congratulations

I was just thinking about you today and wondering how you were doing. How are the cats? I mention this only because my poor cat was so scared of her the first day. He walked around slinking with his tail all puffed out.

She's beautiful. Love all the hair.
Thanks! My cats are great! They aren't scared of her, even when she screams, but they also don't try to be all over her. One of them likes to lick her hair! It's so cute, but I stop her after a swipe or two so she doesn't irritate Cecilia.

#16 of 20 Old 04-18-2010, 02:36 PM

#17 of 20 Old 04-18-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
We're using the SNS. I hear great things about the Lactaid, but we've had no issues with the SNS so I don't plan on switching!
Awesome! Thanks!

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#18 of 20 Old 04-18-2010, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Last name SNAFU fixed.

#19 of 20 Old 04-18-2010, 06:16 PM

so glad the nurses seemed to work with you. I am not dreading it so much now. We're refusing nursery time too...we'll see how that goes down

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#20 of 20 Old 04-18-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

If you have any control over your nurses in L&D, request Marjon (I think that's how her name is spelled). She advocated for me so hard. She followed our birth plan to a T, and got us into recovery with Cecilia, and she stopped other nurses from coming in and doing things we didn't want, like the erithromycin, etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page