Hey babywearers! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 120 Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
So, I now NEED a connecta solarweave. My carrier obession grows! Any ideas where to go or lurk for good deals on carriers?

DH and I were stopped in the Whole Foods parking lot today by a man who saw DH wearing Sprout in one of my homemade pouches. Apparently he and his wife have a 9 week old and some carriers, but their son fusses whenever they put him in. DH and I laughed and told him how normal that is and to "walk laps around the kitchen" until he calms down. We shared a few other tidbits about various carriers. Now I wish I'd exchanged email addresses! I hate the idea that there's a mom and dad out there who want to carry but can't find the resources to help!
I think a lot of people get theirs used on thebabywearer.com forums

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 120 Old 06-09-2010, 03:12 PM

Ooh! I looked up some videos on how to wear the Maya ring sling with vertical baby better and we went for a walk yesterday and both of us liked it much, much better than when she was doing the lying down style. Hooray! I am a little confused about whether she wants feet in or out (in makes her mad, out seems to spread her legs too much to me) but I am feeling good about babywearing again, phew!
#63 of 120 Old 06-09-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
So, I now NEED a connecta solarweave. My carrier obession grows! Any ideas where to go or lurk for good deals on carriers?

DH and I were stopped in the Whole Foods parking lot today by a man who saw DH wearing Sprout in one of my homemade pouches. Apparently he and his wife have a 9 week old and some carriers, but their son fusses whenever they put him in. DH and I laughed and told him how normal that is and to "walk laps around the kitchen" until he calms down. We shared a few other tidbits about various carriers. Now I wish I'd exchanged email addresses! I hate the idea that there's a mom and dad out there who want to carry but can't find the resources to help!
I'm an enabler! http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...d.php?t=400760

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#64 of 120 Old 06-09-2010, 05:09 PM

Hmmm, I wonder if that one is solarweave, since Connecta makes other types of carriers.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#65 of 120 Old 06-09-2010, 05:33 PM

: i didn't even think of that...

#66 of 120 Old 06-09-2010, 05:41 PM

I only thought of it cause I'm on the same search. I found a $40 water wrap made of super soft mesh on Etsy, and that's probably where I'll end up going. I just wish it was the UVA/UVB material and not just mesh. But since Solarveil isn't made anymore, getting a reasonably priced wrap that's 5-6 yards long is pretty much impossible.

#67 of 120 Old 06-09-2010, 06:03 PM

I have one of these ring slings for the water, and I love it. The woman in this picture isn't wearing it properly, but the shoulder is a very comfy pleated shoulder. I wear it so it cups my shoulder and it's lovely and secure.

#68 of 120 Old 06-09-2010, 06:05 PM

Yeah, me and slings don't get along well. Even with how teeny Cecilia is, my back is killing me after 5 minutes in a sling.

#69 of 120 Old 06-09-2010, 07:48 PM

we're doing better with the slings! this isn't right but is cute:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...d=402016482242

and we're finally getting the maya wrap ring sling vertical, so we're both happy (although hot):
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d=405133342242
#70 of 120 Old 06-09-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
I only thought of it cause I'm on the same search. I found a $40 water wrap made of super soft mesh on Etsy, and that's probably where I'll end up going. I just wish it was the UVA/UVB material and not just mesh. But since Solarveil isn't made anymore, getting a reasonably priced wrap that's 5-6 yards long is pretty much impossible.
Solarveil isn't made anymore? I didn't know that. I have a solarveil ring sling that my friend lent me indefinitely. I don't generally use ring slings much, but it works for taking her in the water for a few minutes.

#71 of 120 Old 06-09-2010, 11:15 PM

I think I convinced a woman in BRU today to get a pikkolo. I was in the mother's room changing L's diaper and then nursing her, and a woman came in to nurse her baby. As I got up to leave she asked what the carrier I was using was. I told her and she said she was trying to decide between the pikkolo, ergo, and beco. I told her all the reasons I <3 my pikkolo

#72 of 120 Old 06-09-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
Solarveil isn't made anymore? I didn't know that. I have a solarveil ring sling that my friend lent me indefinitely. I don't generally use ring slings much, but it works for taking her in the water for a few minutes.
Yeah, it sucks. I'd just buy the yardage and make my own wrap if it was available.

#73 of 120 Old 06-10-2010, 01:11 PM

I just ordered my very own Solarweave Connecta

When the weather is cooler and the Beco Gemini has come out, I might sell the connecta and buy the Gemini. We'll see.

#74 of 120 Old 06-10-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
I just ordered my very own Solarweave Connecta

When the weather is cooler and the Beco Gemini has come out, I might sell the connecta and buy the Gemini. We'll see.
Where'd you get it? I think I might get one....

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#75 of 120 Old 06-10-2010, 03:03 PM

We have perfected the BWCC! Woop!

Here is Hamish in our Bebina Rainbow!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#76 of 120 Old 06-10-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Where'd you get it? I think I might get one....
Haha, I have no idea!

I have a friend who is REALLY good at hunting down bargains for me. So, for instance, I gave her $150 and told her to get me as many AIOs and pockets as she could... I figured she's probably get me maybe 12. She'd only spent the first 75 dollars and had already found me 8. So this morning she emailed me and told me to deposit 80 dollars to a certain paypal address and that a solarweave connecta would be on its way to me

If I had to guess I'd say thebabywearer.com

#77 of 120 Old 06-11-2010, 12:35 PM

I was out and about yesterday (IKEA and a few other places) and at least five separate people made comments about "those slings," one of them obviously talking about a completely safe sling her daughter had been using . There's only so much education you can do about that in a 5-second soundbite, but I tried...

I'm not feeling fond of Infantino right now for attempting to co-opt babywearing and winding up totally messing up the general-public-level image of babywearing.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#78 of 120 Old 06-11-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikirj View Post
I was out and about yesterday (IKEA and a few other places) and at least five separate people made comments about "those slings," one of them obviously talking about a completely safe sling her daughter had been using . There's only so much education you can do about that in a 5-second soundbite, but I tried...

I'm not feeling fond of Infantino right now for attempting to co-opt babywearing and winding up totally messing up the general-public-level image of babywearing.
So, this brings me to a question. A friend of mine gave me an Infantino carrier (not the bag sling, but rather the one that's more like a bjorn or snuggly). She had gotten it from someone and was going to take it to goodwill, but decided to give it to us, so we could see what it was like. It's freakin' AWFUL! Well, to be fair, I didn't even try it on. I couldn't figure the damn thing out. DH put it on and said it was really uncomfortable. It has no waist/hip support at all.

So...the question. Do I donate it somewhere so that someone who might otherwise not carry their baby at all can get it? Or do I throw it out so that nobody else ever gets it and thinks that this is what baby wearing is all about. Because if that thing is all I had, then I wouldn't have gotten far in babywearing.

Are there people who actually prefer bjorns and infantinos and such to other carriers?

#79 of 120 Old 06-11-2010, 01:26 PM

There ARE people who have tried both and prefer bjorns whatever works, I guess!

I'd probably donate it as long as it looked safe.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#80 of 120 Old 06-11-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikirj View Post
There ARE people who have tried both and prefer bjorns whatever works, I guess!

I'd probably donate it as long as it looked safe.
okie dokie, whatever floats their boat (or, whatever carries their baby)!

i think i'll just put it on the curb along with a couple of other things and send an email out to my neighborhood listserv...things usually disappear pretty quickly that way.

#81 of 120 Old 06-11-2010, 01:54 PM

That stinks about the solar weave but really I have no money for slings. I'm hoping to scrap up some money for a Mai Tei my friend is selling. Rhi I need your friend I have a friend who is awesome at finding deals and she sends me links but doesn't offer her services haha.

I've actually gotten very positive comments when I wear my Mai Tei. I've only had two people mention the recalls but they both actually LISTENED when I explained to them the dangers of those slings and why mine was safe. Most people have just been amazed at how happy Rowena is in the sling, etc. I've used as an opportunity to really promote baby wearing

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

#82 of 120 Old 06-11-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaGinger61 View Post
That stinks about the solar weave but really I have no money for slings. I'm hoping to scrap up some money for a Mai Tei my friend is selling. Rhi I need your friend I have a friend who is awesome at finding deals and she sends me links but doesn't offer her services haha.

I've actually gotten very positive comments when I wear my Mai Tei. I've only had two people mention the recalls but they both actually LISTENED when I explained to them the dangers of those slings and why mine was safe. Most people have just been amazed at how happy Rowena is in the sling, etc. I've used as an opportunity to really promote baby wearing
I have yet to have anybody mention the recalls...but I mostly use SSC. I don't think I've ever used a sling or the moby in public.

But, for the most part, I just don't run into these people that the rest of MDC seem to. I don't understand it. I did have one run in with a neighbor when my friend (same one from the previous post) was BFing in our apt pool. Nobody else was in the pool, and this woman came out of her apartment, walked up to the fence, and watched. I moved over to block her, and she moved to get a better view. Then she went and complained.

But other than that nobody has ever said anything negative to me about babywearing, breastfeeding, or cloth diapering (other than a few saying that they couldn't do it). It's weird.

#83 of 120 Old 06-11-2010, 03:16 PM

I have more comments about our homeschooling than anything Over the course of four though, I have had a few negative comments from strangers: you're spoiling that baby (because of the sling), don't you think she's too old for breastfeeding?, etc. Most of the negativity I have gotten come from people I know: family, people we homeschool with, etc.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

#84 of 120 Old 06-11-2010, 05:24 PM

DH and I broke down and ordered a Connecta Solarweave! We're going to try it out and then decide whether to re-sell it or keep it and re-sell our Beco Butteryfly 2. We love our old Beco, but the new one is so engineered and heavy-weight that it's just uncomfortable in Florida. But the owls on it are so cute!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#85 of 120 Old 06-12-2010, 10:09 AM

How do you guys wear your LO when they're awake? We usually carry Sprout in the pouch when he's going to fall asleep, but those times when he's really awake he doesn't like to be in the pouch or Beco. I tried Buddha baby in the pouch, but couldn't quite figure it out and so he didn't like it much.

#86 of 120 Old 06-12-2010, 11:00 AM

I carry Cecilia forward facing in the gauze wrap when she's awake. She loves looking at the world!

#87 of 120 Old 06-13-2010, 05:27 AM

If hes in the wrap (or other sling) - he just sleeps. Even if he was awake...those things just knock him right out! lol - So if he is really awake awake, he is usually in arms. We chill out on the sofa and smile at eachother or whatever!

Now he is 7 weeks old - I have discovered that if I want to get anything done (that requires he not physically attached to me - like having a shower) - I have to do it when he is awake! I realise most people suggest to wait until they are asleep or can only do it when lo is asleep. But he requires a lot of me to get to sleep and stay that way - so no can do. He is SO happy when he is awake though. He was smiling and cooing really early too!...So during those time, I will put him in the bouncer or on the playmat. He can see me now in the shower when he is in the bouncer and just smiles away whilst I sing and wash! hehe If hes on the playmat, his brother likes to get down with him! hehe... But still only 5-10 mins before has had enough of either! (at least I can get showered now)...Oh, and thats the trick for the car seat as well...He NEEDS to be awake! Cause if he is tired, he 1). needs to be skin to skin with me and 2). Likes sleeping on his tummy...impossible in a car seat! lol But if he is awake, I am sat right next to him and he just smiles and coos away at me! hehe

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#88 of 120 Old 06-13-2010, 03:57 PM

I am constantly seeing babies being strolled or carried in their car seat and stroller things... just sitting there. I can't imagine how those parents do it! My baby will NOT accept that unless she is already asleep (rare when we are out and about - there's too much to see!) or if I am moving the whole time... friends have said that those babies just have broken wills, but I don't know. Every time my baby starts crying I give in and take her out. Is every other parent on earth letting them CIO in their stroller/ car seat and they eventually stop? Or is every other baby just more content to be pushed along than mine?
We are liking the Maya ring sling (especially since we figured out how to nurse and go at the same time!) and the Moby is so so... I think everything will be better once she can control her head enough to look out at the world more, which is what she really wants.
#89 of 120 Old 06-13-2010, 05:20 PM

Jess -- My bet is that it's just normal for those kids. They've probably spent most of their lives either in cribs or some sort of contraption (be it swing/bouncer, car seat, stroller, etc). It's just what they're used to.

Since we (and you) hold and carry our babies so much, that's what they're used to and like. Being out of our arms is stressful and scary because it's different.

Now, I'm sure some kids are built to like one or the other, but I'm guessing most of the time, it's nurture over nature in this case.

#90 of 120 Old 06-13-2010, 05:26 PM

I think you're right Jen. I think that there are a few kids who like one way or the other no matter how they're raised, but the vast majority like what they know.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page