Old 04-17-2010, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Show me babies in carriers!

Moby
Pouch
Buckle Tai

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010, 11:18 PM

Tried out the moby for the first time today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhianno...n/photostream/

I tried the pouch, but I can't quite figure it out. She just always seems to hunched over. When my friend helped me into it, it was fine, but when I did it myself I just couldn't get her upright enough for my liking.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 04-17-2010, 11:20 PM

I DO NOT LIKE YOU, NOT ONE LITTLE BIT. THE ONLY BABYWEARING I'M DOING INVOLVES MATERNITY CLOTHES AND HAVING THE 20 MONTH OLD PUTTING NUTELLA HANDPRINTS ON MY CLOTHING!

*glares*

Does anyone have banana popsicles? I'm all out.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:35 AM

loveneverfails -- if it makes you feel better, I have a baby who is out and I still can't baby wear. I guess I technically could, but since her biliblanket has a 4 foot cord, we'd kind of just stand there

ivy and rhi -- your babes look so stinking cute in there...love the pics!

Mommy to two super cute kids.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:55 AM

We went out for the 3rd time in the Moby. I started out with her in an upright position, then shifted her down. She sleeps the whole time I have her in it. She's still in it after getting back from a 1/2 hour walk. It's nice to go out in mild weather and not having to put her in a bunch of extra layers because she stays nice and cozy warm.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2395668...=1271559567888

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2395668...n/photostream/

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
Show me babies in carriers!

Moby
Pouch
Buckle Tai

adorable!
made me realize I'm really doing something wrong with my buckle-tai.. baby is NOT happy in it and keeps slouching. Are Becky's legs froggied-up? like legs in front or to her sides?

in SleepyWrap (same as Moby, I think) from a few weeks ago, when a few days old:
http://oliverquinn.shutterfly.com/69

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

Old 04-18-2010, 02:37 AM

DH + Moby (he does nearly all of the baby carrying and wearing to make up for the last 9 months ) : http://www.flickr.com/photos/femgeek/4509441016/

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 04-18-2010, 06:10 AM

Will be happy to include photos as soon as this baby is born! heheh

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 04-18-2010, 10:23 AM

Hotsling:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Docta.Pu...52677017362754

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
Old 04-18-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveneverfails View Post
I DO NOT LIKE YOU, NOT ONE LITTLE BIT. THE ONLY BABYWEARING I'M DOING INVOLVES MATERNITY CLOTHES AND HAVING THE 20 MONTH OLD PUTTING NUTELLA HANDPRINTS ON MY CLOTHING!

*glares*

Does anyone have banana popsicles? I'm all out.

..but with an 8 year old putting duct tape on my pants, since I don't have any nutella and am not allowed to eat sugar right now anyway. WAAAH!
Oh, and I just bought bananas yesterday, but YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:41 PM

GRRRRR, why am i the only one that finds the moby madenning???

my husband tried to help me w/ it yesterday and i just got hot and frustrated. of course we were trying it out for the first time AT our destination, not at home. duh..

any tips? you guys look so comfortable! i was anything but! and charlie felt like a little knot sticking out of my chest instead of soft baby snuggled close.

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace+Hope View Post

my husband tried to help me w/ it yesterday and i just got hot and frustrated. of course we were trying it out for the first time AT our destination, not at home. duh..

any tips? you guys look so comfortable! i was anything but! and charlie felt like a little knot sticking out of my chest instead of soft baby snuggled close.
The Moby takes quite a while to learn. LOTS of practice at home with a happy, well-fed, well-rested baby. I'm still not totally comfortable with it, and can only do one position. But it's so snuggly when you get it right with a tiny baby.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 04-19-2010, 06:45 PM

I don't mean to have this thread degenerate into a How To, but I'm also a bit nervous about how to wrap my Moby with a newborn.

I'm due this week, so have only practiced with my cat. Seriously. She seemed to like it, but the wrap was still kind of loose and long (I'm small-framed and 5'2"). I'd be too nervous to keep my baby in it.

I've seen the Moby video about ten times, but I still feel awkward. For example, do you a) fold the wrap in half with the open ends facing toward each other and tuck the baby in the folds or do you b) slip the baby beneath the wrap against your body?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Welcome to Benjamin Zephyr, born at home with love on April 24, 2010!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:05 PM

I've only figured out the cradle hold, but the shoulder rail I have her head on slips down after a while. I'd like to be able to carry her upright as well. I need to practice a lot more at home. She does feel nice and cozy and is happy when I carry her in it though.

Treefrog, it felt so much better trying it on my non-pregnant body.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:13 PM

Eesti ring sling

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/...b6ea18a6d3.jpg

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 04-19-2010, 07:25 PM

ivy, is that your new native pouch? sooo cute! you are the baby-wearing momazing!

most pouches i've read are for 7 lbs and up, so i wasn't planning to try charlie in anything but the moby for awhile...

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace+Hope View Post

When getting the hang of it, I have my baby swaddled in a light blanket- easier to tuck in a "solid lump" of baby without limbs flailing.. he's more likely to put up with my fidgeting too.
higher the better too.. I have a sleepy wrap so i dont know how instructions differ, but when the pieces cross at my chest I have to make sure it's up high around my sternum.
I don't worry so much about the fabric getting twisted- it'd be a lost cause., so every time the fit's a bit different as far as what way the fabric is facing. I also find that once baby's in, I re-tie the knot to tighten it more.

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

Old 04-19-2010, 09:56 PM

i was amazed at how well i adapted to the moby with dd. i didn't start until she was older but it seemed like it was pretty intuitive. i definatly don't think trying it on my super pg body woulda worked though. i don't know really what the "trick" is though. maybe figure out how your baby "kangaroo's" first to do the sit up part. oh and i think another thing is the baby needs to nestle BETWEEN the boobs not on top of them....

i'll have to take some pics when i wear him again. we haven't done it for long yet.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 PM

I think my Moby key is to put it on as tight as possible. Don't leave any room for the baby, because the wrap will stretch when you put the baby in.

Mommy to two super cute kids.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:23 PM

No pics yet, I am always the photographer, never photographed. I'm saddened by the lack of pictures I have of myself and the kids.

I used the Maya the first few days. I like it, but am not a one shoulder carrier gal, even with a 7lb newborn. I was lucky enough to snag one of the black ergos that babysteals had on sale and I am loving it! I don't have an infant insert, but froggy-ing her legs puts her in a great position.

I've tried a narrow short blanket straight strapped podeagi. I sold it when Reese was about 7 months old and the mama that bought it gave in back to me as a baby gift.<3 I have a long narrow blanket angled strap podeagi waiting in the closet for me.

I've also used my chunei around the house. particularly for back carries when I'm cooking or cleaning. And I want a gypsy mama wrap for summer.

I'm a bit carrier obsessed.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:54 AM

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...4&id=793430056

Mai Tie. The only sling I've ever really LOVED. I find the upright position makes my newborns happy campers. Rowena loved it, and curled right up into me.

I'm intrigued by the Moby but am wondering if I'm happy with my Mai Tie why get another? I'm also wondering if the Moby would feel hot here in the South.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:03 AM

Crappy cell pic of Cecilia in my Wombfruit wrap today. I chose the Wombfruit over the Moby because it's made of gauze, and here in the desert, I don't want any extra heat if I can avoid it!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e&id=500103956

Cecilia slept really well in the wrap. Today was the first time I wore her in it, so I will keep practicing with it. I certainly would prefer to wear her over carrying the carseat!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Old 04-20-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
Crappy cell pic of Cecilia in my Wombfruit wrap today. I chose the Wombfruit over the Moby because it's made of gauze, and here in the desert, I don't want any extra heat if I can avoid it!
I like the looks of this one. I'll have to check it out. the summers here are hot enough that I don't want to be covered in material.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:31 PM

I sewed a pouch! I prefer the easy on/off of the pouch to a wrap, but the only one we had was fleece -- not gonna work in Florida. And I couldn't afford $70 for another Kangaroo Korner one.

A few weeks ago, I sewed a jersey one, but it didn't turn out well at all. I decided to give it another shot today with non-stretchy fabric, after the frustration had faded. And it seems to have worked!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/femgeek/4538299822/

Old 04-20-2010, 02:02 PM

Another plug for Wombfruit wraps-- I found her wearing a newborn video really easy to follow. Maybe it'll help some of you mamas trying to figure out wraps!

http://wombfruits.blogspot.com/2009/...n-in-wrap.html

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Old 04-20-2010, 02:08 PM

Did you use a specific pattern/set of instructions, jenfl?
Not that pouch instructions vary that much, just curious which you used, 'cause that looks great!

I was thinking of making a stretchy wrap, but DD needed a stretchy tank-top-dress, and now I don't think I have enough fabric left.

I might have enough of this sturdy woven cotton stuff for a pouch and mei tai, though. (I didn't know mei tai's worked with newborns!)

Old 04-20-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingfox View Post
Did you use a specific pattern/set of instructions, jenfl?
Not that pouch instructions vary that much, just curious which you used, 'cause that looks great!
Thanks! I tried a couple different sites and understood the general idea, but things really clicked when I watched the video here: http://slingyourbaby.blogspot.com/20...uch-sling.html

I did mine self-lined, though -- instead of using two different fabrics cut in half length-wise, I just folded one piece in half. That way, I just had one long side to sew together. (I hope that makes sense.)

Old 04-20-2010, 06:38 PM

Awesome, thanks! I totally understand your self-lining explanation. One less seam to sew is always a good thing.

I just finished up a mei tai, and wow, those huge long shoulder straps were a pain! I don't want to turn and top-stitch anything else again, ever.

I was thinking of posting a picture, but, um, I don't have a baby to put in it yet.. just a build-a-bear.

I think I might paint something on it, but I can't decide what.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:01 PM

http://oliverquinn.shutterfly.com/69
Finally got this kid into the pouch (peanut shell), third picture.
like the wrap, it helped me to swaddle him before stuffing him in there. somehow he knows when I sit down though, and he wont have that.. this is getting tiring!

Old 04-27-2010, 04:30 PM

here's the moby. i of course like it alright but it is hot and i don't know if its me or what but i just don't feel that great babywearing! maybe cause it reminds me of being PREGNANT! i pulled out the ergo today and i think i'm going to stick with that more than anything. reeve fits ok and it doesn't seem like he'll fall out and its MUCh easier to put on and take off!

guess we'll see though cause i guess i should go grocery shopping...at 2 stores today plus i outta stop by WIC...

User Tag List