Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

4 kids under 10
#2 of 22 Old 04-21-2010, 12:10 AM

My midwife starts talking about NSTs at 41 weeks, but she'll provide care past 42 weeks in some cases depending on what's going on with the mom and the baby.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#3 of 22 Old 04-21-2010, 01:03 AM

The two most popular HB mw in this area seem very hands off regarding post dates. I don't know the 'official' stance of either of them but know a lady who was 43 and a few days when she had her baby at home and it was fine. My mw (the other local one) is even less medically minded then that one.
I am sure the other one might offer ultrasounds or other tests and give advice on keeping up the strength of the placeta through nutriton and supplements.

I don't think that was very clear, but I think you get the idea. The OB's in the area do not seem to like if you are over 39 and 5 days over so if you lived here you would likely get induced or cut if your still pregnant at 41 plus-----or be a very combative paitent!

Good luck with that!
#4 of 22 Old 04-21-2010, 01:30 AM

I saw my mw today. I am 40+1 and she said they aren't worried for at least 10 more days. For typical pregnancies they don't suggest NST's until 41 weeks but she told me that it is the official recommendation for me to get one now since I am technically "high risk", but she completely left it up to me to decide. She also very specifically said that if the results of the NST indicated issues, the topic of induction would still be a conversation and ultimately my decision.

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#5 of 22 Old 04-21-2010, 03:03 AM

Here in the UK, they will 'review' you at about 10 days overdue.
It is totally up to you though what you choose to do. They can not deny you a homebirth. (everyone gets a MW here and they have a care of duty not to leave you alone to labour no matter where you choose - and can not force you out of your own home, etc).

Usually they start with a stretch and sweep if thats what you want. (and if you are choosing a homebirth, there isn't much else they can do)... If you go for pit or something, then you are already stuck in hospital.

I guess if I had to legally choose a hospital birth over a homebirth - then id go for some induction route to get that homebirth! First though - I would try everythign I could naturally...acupuncture, acupuressure, herbs, etc. As thats not a problem here, I wouldn't accept anything because baby will simply just choose not to never come...they all come eventually!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#6 of 22 Old 04-21-2010, 12:08 PM

At my 39th week last week my OB said that I was 50% effaced and the cervix was still posterior. He said going "by the book" it would take 2 weeks for me to get into labor but that's just a rule of thumb, not set in stone. He sounded cool about going into week 41. I am going for my 40+1 appointment this friday so will hopefully know about NST / ultrasound etc.

earlier he mentioned the idea that after week 42 he generally advises induction.

Keeping my fingers crossed for baby to come soon.. but it doesn't seem like it just now.
#7 of 22 Old 04-21-2010, 02:18 PM

I had my 41 week appointment with our midwives (homebirth) and they did a NST for the first time. They said they wouldn't really worry until 43 weeks, but that after the 42 week visit they would need to see me more frequently to check my water and do more regular NST's.
#8 of 22 Old 04-21-2010, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

4 kids under 10
#9 of 22 Old 04-21-2010, 02:42 PM

We do one fluid level check at 41 weeks and an NST.

Then I think there is another NST at 42 weeks.

After 42 weeks we can't have the baby at the birth center--we have to labor in the hospital.

I have VERY quick labors so when I went 12 days past dates with my last pregnancy I just had AROM to guarantee a birth center birth.

Student and SAHM to 6 little people. Some by birth, some through adoptionheart-1.gif , some through foster care
#10 of 22 Old 04-21-2010, 02:50 PM

After 40 weeks, NST and transfer to hospital after 42 weeks.

With my first 2, facing hospital transfer from a FSBC, I induced with caster oil as per my M/W.

2 oz mixed in pancake batter for breakfast (blueberry pancakes), 2 oz mixed in scrambled eggs for lunch (breakfast burrito) and I was good to go. Had my babies within 24 hours.

Last one was a homebirth and I went into labor on my own.

Mama to 3 amazing girls
#11 of 22 Old 04-21-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

4 kids under 10
#12 of 22 Old 04-22-2010, 07:22 AM

My midwives practice out of a hospital & will not even do an internal unless you request it I am scheduled for an NST at 41+1 and an ultrasound at 41+4. That is it so far. I cannot be pit induced (VBAC) & there has been no discussion of any other kinds of inductions, other than they know I am inserting EPO at times.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#13 of 22 Old 04-22-2010, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

4 kids under 10
#14 of 22 Old 04-22-2010, 03:27 PM

Personally, I battled this with my last pregnancy. Here is the thing, if you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN of your CONCEPTION date, then I'd trust your "due date". We are this time, last time not. Even first trimester u/s can be off by 5 days. So, the reason past 42 weeks is scary is because the risk of still birth goes up. Not my much, and not enough for me to induce at 42 weeks, but that's a personal decision. Post dates babies are very rarely post mature babies, even at 42 weeks. I'd recommend reading Medical Myths VS Research Realities, they have a whole section on post date babies, and it's very factual, and most MW have a copy or know another MW who does.

I would worry about NST till 42 weeks, that's just me. I would though keep track of baby movements, and if you find that baby is moving a lot less or a lot more, then I'd go in for NST. Pick a time of day, usually the same time, after the same activities, like, after dinner for ex, and count how long it takes baby to kick, move, wiggle, jult, 10 times (hiccups don't count of course). It's ok if it takes 1 hr, or if it takes 2 minutes, as long as that is what is consistent for your baby. This is something you can do now, to keep track on "normal" for your baby. If for a week it takes 10 minutes to get to 10 movement, and then one day it takes 1 hr, and then the next 1.5 hrs, I'd tell your MW right away.
#15 of 22 Old 04-22-2010, 03:34 PM

Why would you worry about a NST before 42 weeks? Our mw did it at 41weeks, all they did was wiggle the babys butt whe listening to the heartrate to see if it increased sufficiently. Seems harmless to me...
#16 of 22 Old 04-22-2010, 03:39 PM

Our midwives (homebirth in Oregon) don't regularly do internal exams, but I asked for it at 40 and 41 weeks.
#17 of 22 Old 04-22-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

4 kids under 10
#18 of 22 Old 04-22-2010, 09:47 PM

I am 40+2 today and my midwife (vbac delivery at a hospital) wants me to come in for an u/s at 41 weeks and then at 42 weeks if baby is still in good position she wants to break my water to bring on labor. I hope I don't even make it to 41 weeks though. I know I will be getting an NST but not sure when.
#19 of 22 Old 04-23-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin_Life View Post
I am 40+2 today and my midwife (vbac delivery at a hospital) wants me to come in for an u/s at 41 weeks and then at 42 weeks if baby is still in good position she wants to break my water to bring on labor. I hope I don't even make it to 41 weeks though. I know I will be getting an NST but not sure when.
I don't understand why care providers can't tell a baby's position by external palpitations? I think this is a illegitimate reason for a u/s, and you will probably be told (as most often moms are, but I hope you are not) the baby is too big, the fluid too low, the placenta ageing, etc, etc, etc. All things that are of opinion, and not backed up by studies or facts or LOGIC to induce, but moms commonly are.

Again, there are a few other threads on breaking water to start labor, I'd look into those and some other studies to see if it's a smart decision for your health.
#20 of 22 Old 04-23-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

4 kids under 10
#21 of 22 Old 04-23-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell-Bell View Post
I had my 41 week appointment with our midwives (homebirth) and they did a NST for the first time. They said they wouldn't really worry until 43 weeks, but that after the 42 week visit they would need to see me more frequently to check my water and do more regular NST's.
that is my understanding that a baby's gestational period is anywhere from 38-42 weeks the 42 week being all the way up to 42 weeks 6 days then there is concern that the placenta may be getting old so they would likely run tests.

I personally am only 2 days past my due date so i am not concerned :-)
#22 of 22 Old 04-23-2010, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMom View Post
I don't understand why care providers can't tell a baby's position by external palpitations? I think this is a illegitimate reason for a u/s, and you will probably be told (as most often moms are, but I hope you are not) the baby is too big, the fluid too low, the placenta ageing, etc, etc, etc. All things that are of opinion, and not backed up by studies or facts or LOGIC to induce, but moms commonly are.
My first pg, I was told my placenta was aging... I couldn't figure out how a viable organ gets old in a matter of days... I mean, blood still flows to it, etc. They acted like every day, the whole thing was just rotting...

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page