Mothering Forum banner

Too Awesome For April! Moms who have resisted April's Allure in pursuit of the Golden Birth Stool to be Found in May (May 1-May 8)

8K views 139 replies 28 participants last post by  GreenTeaGinger61 
#1 ·
April showers bring May flowers, and something something something...

Whatevs.

We are TOTALLY kicking the cr@p out of April. April thought it could contain our greatness of abdominal girth, and it was WRONG WRONG AND MORE WRONG! We are the few, the proud, the extremely pregnant.

Now I would *never* suggest that people who gave birth in April were a bunch of pansies...
However, I suspect that some of them just weren't taking this Golden Birthing Stool seriously. I mean, take SmeIsNotAPirate, for example. After all that talk about going into May, she didn't even make her due date! That doesn't sound like much dedication to me.

Therefore, fellow members of the LLWWSBP2016, I salute you on your masterful entrance into May. Labor? What's labor? Babies NEVER actually come out. Ever. I, for one, feel more pregnant today than I did yesterday and this could go on for days, nay weeks! Months! Years!

Bottoms up, and cervixes tightly closed, ladies!

The Few, The Proud, The Gravid on May 1:

Confirmed Still Pregnant:

LoveNeverFails
Unconventional1
Silverspook
veryerin

Pregnancy Status Undetermined: PLEASE CHECK IN, LADIES!

Mama2010
lifescholar

Escapees from the Island of Pregnancy Domination

Sanguine_Speed OFF THE ISLAND 5/1
Beccasteve03 OFF THE ISLAND 5/1
adarasmom OFF THE ISLAND 5/1
alternamama82 OFF THE ISLAND 5/2
ColwynsMommy OFF THE ISLAND 5/7

Come ON, there have to be more of us than this! Please? Lie to me, someone? Ok, I went back through the last thread and added people, and I will remove people from contention for the Golden Birth Stool as y'all get the heck off my island.

See less See more
#52 ·
I'm still here.
Fiona was born at 40w4d, and that's today for this pregnancy. I think I'm going to write a strongly worded letter of complaint. Had a 'prostaglandin treatment' last night with high hopes it would work (did with Fiona), but nothing.

Plus, I'm getting worried about pre-e.. my blood pressure has been high (normal for me) but steady all pregnancy. The past couple days I've had pretty continuous swelling in the tops of my feet and my ankles, which I attributed to the heat and extra walking around trying to bring on labor, but they were swollen when I woke up today, too. Plus I had a little headache last night and a twinge this morning, and I rarely get headaches. Again, I thought last night's was due to the humidity and grouchy children, but I don't know. I'm getting more vigilant about my protein and water intake, that's for sure.

I don't know what to do about Mother's Day.. we usually go to an expensive brunch and take my parents and sister, but I assumed we wouldn't be going this year. If I'm still pregnant *and* miss out on my favorite meal of the year, I'm going to be so, so ticked off. I think I'll ask my husband to look into whether or not we still have to pay if we cancel.. hmm.

So those are my whines for the day.. how're you all doing?

#55 ·
Still here. Still pregnant. Really grouchy.

ETA: Im officially a lot less grouchy now. My mom must have had a strong feeling that I needed her today because she just dropped by out of the blue and took my 3 y/o DS with her to run errands! I'm going back to bed!

And, aren't your chances of going into labor higher of your other children are away???????

#56 ·
Birth or birth not. There is no "try."

Why are old ladies the meanest UAVs when it comes to family size? This one looked pointedly at my abdomen and said "oops."

I got my margarita glasses for my post birth margarita!

#57 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverspook View Post

ETA: Im officially a lot less grouchy now. My mom must have had a strong feeling that I needed her today because she just dropped by out of the blue and took my 3 y/o DS with her to run errands! I'm going back to bed!

And, aren't your chances of going into labor higher of your other children are away???????
YES to the bolded.

#58 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by loveneverfails View Post
Birth or birth not. There is no "try."

Why are old ladies the meanest UAVs when it comes to family size? This one looked pointedly at my abdomen and said "oops."

I got my margarita glasses for my post birth margarita!

*gasp!* Oh my goodness!! We get similar comments but that's just above and beyond.

#59 ·
Yeah, I didn't even get what she meant at first. She had to say "that's the fourth, looks like." I said "actually, it's my fifth" with a big smile. And then on the way out of the store another of those obnoxious "you've got your hands full" comments. I just said "better full than empty."

Why do people feel they have the right to comment on my sex life? I mean, that's what they're doing. I have kids because I have a sex life I'm happy with. Jerks...

#60 ·
Quote:

Yeah, I didn't even get what she meant at first. She had to say "that's the fourth, looks like." I said "actually, it's my fifth" with a big smile. And then on the way out of the store another of those obnoxious "you've got your hands full" comments. I just said "better full than empty."

That's exactly what I say to those 'hands full' comments!

I had a woman in our homeschool group (nanny, not the mom) tell me that she thought all my kids were accidents the other day. She was saying that she figures if she wasn't a lesbian, she'd have had a couple of kids by now, since it wouldn't take nearly as much work (she's married, but they're waiting to have kids). I said something about how my husband's too neurotic about birth control for us to ever have an accident, and she said, "Oh, I thought for sure that with your kids being so close in age and you being so young that they were all accidents!"

Okay, so here's a conundrum for you all to help me out with. We have some loose tiles in our shower surround and finally got around to getting an estimate today. It's not that expensive and should only take a day (maybe even just half a day), and he even said he could probably come out tomorrow or the day after. Now.. if he's here and in the middle of ripping out tile in our only shower, it would be a huge pain if I went into labor.. I'd have to kick him out and I wouldn't be able to use the shower. But.. booking the repair might just jinx me into going into labor, which I am all for.. hmm. He also said that after it's done, we could just cover the repaired section with a trash bag and tape and not have to wait to shower.

So do I book the repair or wait until after the baby comes?

#61 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverspook View Post

I've been told that women are more likely to go into labor when they know their other children are taken care of. For me, that means laboring at night (all four of my labors have been overnight) but knowing that your other child is with your mom, might be enough to kick you into labor. I hope this is what work for you!

#62 ·
Quote:

Why do people feel they have the right to comment on my sex life? I mean, that's what they're doing. I have kids because I have a sex life I'm happy with. Jerks...
What a rude comment from the old lady. However, I love the response about having your hands full. One lady I know uses the phrase "If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart" when people make comments about her family size. She only has four kids which I know is more than most people, but it's not huge either.

#64 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandcastle View Post
I've been told that women are more likely to go into labor when they know their other children are taken care of. For me, that means laboring at night (all four of my labors have been overnight) but knowing that your other child is with your mom, might be enough to kick you into labor. I hope this is what work for you!

My mom is DS's support person for the birth so I'm definitely sure he's well cared for, but unfortunately that knowledge didn't get me any more than an hour of teaser contrax. Humph! I did get to take a 2 hour nap this afternoon though!

I'm 41wk3d today, and I have my 41wk MW appt tomorrow. At my 40wk appt, they weren't the least bit concerned that I wasn't showing any signs of impending labor. I wonder if they will be as laid back about me still being pregnant this week.

#65 ·
You know, Silverspook, I think that mechanically I could go into labor pretty easily but that hormonally that switch just hasn't flipped yet. And the labors I had where hormones were really what kicked things into gear were the easiest on my body. I hope that your body does something similar.

#66 ·
LNF, I think that may be part of my problem too. How did you know your hormone switch had switched? Or what did you do to help it switch?

#67 ·
Still here....
I thought today may be it, I had good ctx this morning that got closer and more intense, but everything petered out once the day got going and the kids got going.

I may go tonight- my hormone switch definitely flipped this morning, and ctx are starting back up. So here's to hoping! I am 41+4 today- and uber super grouchy with everyone. My poor belly is stretched so tight I needed my homeopathic pain relief cream last night so I could sleep. But I think my eviction notice that I posted might be working...

Keep your fingers crossed! I am ready to get off this darned island.

#68 ·
SilverSpook, for me when that hormonal switch just needs to go, there's pretty much nothing that can make it budge. However, stress and adrenaline can keep the hormones from kicking in. So, I'd work on relaxing and making peace with pregnancy. We're all at the point where we are *going* to have babies in the next 10 days roughly at most. And I'm second only to ColwynsMommy in latest due date, I believe.

We'll make it! We can do it! And you'd better believe that if we go much further, I'll be getting some gold colored pipe cleaners to make a golden birth stool.

#69 ·

I'm off the island and I got my HBAC!!

Colleen Makenna was (finally! 41+2) born Saturday, May 1st at 9am. She was born at home, in the water, after a short (!?!?) but intense 8 hour labor. She is 6 pounds 10 ounces and 19 inches long. She is an absolute doll. I'll get her birth story posted one of these days, it's not fun sitting down yet!

LOTS of labor vibes to the rest of you waiting. COME OUT BABIES

#70 ·
Congratulations on your escape from the island!!!!

I'll remove you from contention for the Golden Birthing Stool, though, although something tells me this won't bother you too much.
Check in, people! I need everyone who is still pregnant to check in every 2 days or so or I will be removing people on the presumption that you've given birth.

#71 ·
#72 ·
Still here, still grouchy. I am having ctx every 10 minutes- here's to hoping they stick around this time!

Does anyone have any good natural remedies for skin that is so stretched it is painful? I have about three layers of stretch marks on my belly, and they hurt! and itch! Nothing is of much help at this point.

#73 ·
I'll pm you my address so so you can send that golden stool on over :p

I really feel like it's going to be in the next couple of days though. I woke up about 2am with painful contrax that were I'm guessing about 10 mins apart. I would doze off between them, but they were strong enough to jolt me awake each time. They aren't nearly as strong this morning, but ds has been quite "challenging" since we got up.

BUT...The thing that scares me about being this overdue is that my midwife with ds (a different mw who isn't practicing anymore) turned me over to an ob for being overdue. She also refused to take me back when the (awesome) ob said I was about 24 hrs away from giving birth and could go back to my mw! I was devastated and abandoned. She didn't even come to the hospital when I went into labor the next day, she sent an apprentice. This entire situation has me scared that I will be forced to have a hosp birth again.

#74 ·
The only thing I can think of is maybe to try to use a maternity support belt so support your abs and take the pressure off your skin. Other than that, just shea butter and waiting it out?

#76 ·
Back from a prenatal and I'm confused and annoyed. For some reason my midwife decided to change my due date from April 30th to May 3rd. Now, we all know that the date doesn't matter *at all* - so what on earth was she hoping to accomplish by now saying, "Oh, you're only two days late"? I know when I ovulated, I know when I was 'due' - and I'm not worried about being late. What the hell?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.