Weekly Post-Partum thread, May 2-9 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 135 Old 05-05-2010, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sme on the clitoris issue. Yeouch! I hope it heals soon!

Jen I am hoping Sprout's nursing issues start getting better soon.

Ginger OMgoodness, my oldest is like that with any injury too. Or any discomfort, for that matter. I so look forward to the teenage years. Not. And the mom acting like you were a bad mom for not having band-aids?!? Good grief, I think they would call CPS on me - I walk out of the house without diapers half the time!

MPP I can't believe the number of bucket seats I see too. Including people with TWINS, each in their own seat, and the moms need a helper to carry the second seat - or the second seat takes up the remainder of the shopping cart and she needs a second cart. Geez, my kids hate car seats as it is - not only can I not imagine keeping them in one for hours, but needing a second adult every where I go would mean I would almost never get out of the house. I would be SO hosed if I didn't have my Moby!

Jess As another mom of a constant nurser, I second the advice that it DOES get better. Dd1 was about five months old when she started slowing down on the nursing - about the time she could sit up and look around at stuff, I think. Even now she is easily bored, so I can't help but wonder if part of the reason for those early nursing marathons was because she had nothing else to occupy her time.

Loveneverfails Rooting for you to be next off the island! And don't tell your relatives about my deepfreeze - placentas from my last three kids are in there, waiting to be planted under trees...

afm Had a cranky-fussy-nursing but not nursing marathon with both girls last night from about 7 till one a.m. Gah. Neither was really hungry after the first, oh three or four feedings, but both refused pacis and just wanted to be attached to me. And then they started refusing the breast too. Argh! Hannah at least took a pacifier for a little bit, but Maya I think had bad gas. I tried gripe water, and that worked astonishingly well for a couple of hours - during which time Hannah was back on the boob. Dh took them for a walk around 10 - they both crashed out in the Moby, only to awaken about thirty seconds after he got home. I finally got Hannah to sleep, but Maya continued to scream and act like she was in pain until one a.m. when, as usual, it seemed to magically dissipate. I just can't figure it out - does she get exhausted at that point, or do the leg pumps and tummy massage finally kick in, or what? Once they are both asleep, they will sleep in three or four hour blocks, which is great. If I could just get them to sleep by 10 or even 11, instead of one a.m.!

Oh, and I am definitely getting these girls t-shirts that say, "I drink till I pass out." I don't remember my older two being quite so dramatic about it - they would gradually drift off to sleep at the breast, but these two quite literally will gulp, gulp, gulp, and suddenly be deeply asleep. Too funny.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#62 of 135 Old 05-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Pepper- now I'm adding Big Love to netflix queue. Love that show!

Jess- dd2 spit up like that. She was fine. It's gross, disconcerting, and icky...but normal. One of the incredibly unglamorous parts of parenting. Kind of like fighting the same, now 2 y/o dd down for nap for 2 hrs.

Jen- so glad that you found someone whowill advocate for you and Sprout with the ent doctors!

Loveneverfails- throwing out life preservers for all you ladies left on the island.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#63 of 135 Old 05-05-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
Mine is that I feed L really well and pass her off to DH, then I go get in the bath. I've had a bath every single night since she was born almost a month(!) ago. That 15-30 minutes (depending if I take a shower after) is a life saver.

My own personal emotional issue right now is feeling a bit sad about her birth. I didn't think I would because of the whole "the important thing is that you had a healthy baby" thing. Actually, it's not even her birth that is bothering me. It's the fact that I was induced and didn't get to experience that whole "when am I going to go into labor?!" thing. I see everyone still on the island and although I wouldn't want to be 42 weeks pregnant, I'm a bit jealous! I wanted that whole "is it time?" thing. And of course I wanted to go to the birth center, and to not have 27 hours of pitocin induced labor, but it's the way labor was forced to start that is bothering me. Especially because Cholestasis of Pregnancy has about a 60-90% recurrence rate, and frequently earlier in the pregnancy. So that means I have a good chance of ending up with a 37 week induction next time, instead of the 40 week induction I had this time. I think I'd be feeling better about things if I could say, "well, if I have more kids I can experience the onset of labor like I imagined." But I can't say that!

I'm not horribly depressed about it or anything, but I feel like people IRL wouldn't get it, ya know? It just makes me a little sad.
i feel very similarly about the going into labor thing, with the pre-e. the chances of it re-occuring are about 15%, so not as high as the cholestasis, but pre-e can show up at 20 weeks and be reeeeeeaaaallly nasty. and of course, just the trauma of having to decide to induce and actually go through w/ it was hard. it was a leap into the world of labor i truly believed i'd never see, planning a home birth .

it's helping me to focus on the beauty that was there during the labor/birth process, and at the same time allowing these feelings to come as they need to. i go from feeling hopeless and scared to very hopeful and even excited for the "next" time.

I AGREE w/ a bath or shower every day. whatever it takes to get it.

s to everyone who isn't getting the support they need. it's been tough here, but at least my husband has been absolutely incredible, and because he has a home-office he has more flexibility than most dads.

but, i spent some days getting over my mom not coming. that was really hard.

to anyone experiencing a hard time, i hope it lifts so soon! charlie is on day 3 of not constantly fussing or crying when he's awake (a period of about a week and 1/2). i appreciated everyone responding to my questions about gassiness. i did start to use at about 3 key times during the day/night the gripe water i bought. i like it b/c it is sweetened w/ agave (very low on the glycemic index sugar) and is just a few herbs. the dose is large (2.5 ml), so takes a few minutes, but it has really worked, and i think not just episodically. once we started using it, a few days later everything calmed down for him. now i'm back to believing that all the crying really was pain, because i had started to wonder if he was just going to be a fussy baby from now on . i was even thinking, well, i screwed up the attachment parenting thing, i must have not responded properly to his cues, and now it's too late.

stinky dipes/burp cloths: mine were smelling seaweedy too! do you mean fishy, or just musty? my SIL had the fishy problem, and found out that the A&D ointment she was using had fish oil in it . anyway, i added a cold short cycle with no soap (front loader with no cold rinse option, like GMD recommends). that seems to help, so when i do the soap cycle most of the poop is already gone. i don't have the copious breast milk issues you're describing though. maybe a hot rinse first would get some of the milk fats out?

charlie will be 6 weeks tomorrow, can't believe it! he's still so like a newborn i think, which i'm saying b/c he's only just starting to seem to change more. this is the third day i've caught him grinning at me , and he's starting to hold his head up a lot, and want to push off of things w/ his legs. before he was more like a bowl full of jelly

a friend knitted him little orange duck feet socks that stay on! CUTE. omg, so cute.

jenfl, i hope you get the tounge tie clipped!

jsh,

mpp, aw, your little girl is so sweet, loving mommy's milk.

triony, . do you have any source for a support group irl? maybe some other moms near where you live? as much as i love this group, if i was really feeling down, i think i'd need more moms with skin on to talk to...

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#64 of 135 Old 05-05-2010, 05:15 PM

serial posting, cause i just remembered someone asked about boosting breastmilk supply.

i became an expert on this when battling w/ breastfeeding/pumping/supply building for my preemie.

these are the things i did. boy, did they work!

- feeding on one side and then pumping both
- mother's milk tincture, in an herbal suppliment pill - you can see the tincture sloshing around inside the cellulose capsules, brand escapes me
- infusions of alphalpha - pour 1 quart boiling water per 1/3 cup dried alphalpha, steep 6-8 hrs
-sleep as much as possible

#65 of 135 Old 05-05-2010, 05:17 PM

P+H - THANK YOU for your post on the gripe water!! I just started using it with Maya last night and I am hoping we have similar results in a few days - gives me hope that we may eventually have a normal bedtime with the girls and I can get more than four or five hours of sleep a night!

Today is getting rough. Thought I had the worst of it after dd1 told me this morning that I deserved her attitude because I was being mean and "what goes around comes around." THAT got her a one way trip to her room when she gets home.

But we got her off to school and I figured things would calm down. Dd2 even went outside and played in the sandbox for awhile and we had a peaceful half hour. And then she came inside and found every.single.noisy.toy she owns. And played with them at TOP volume. Waking up her sisters, of course. Who are now tag teaming me, so that one of them must be on my lap at all times. The house is a disaster and getting worse, and when I called dh in frustration and asked him how I was going to go back to work, he replied, "we'll get you some help." Yeah, except we can't AFFORD help unless I work more hours - and WE getting me help means ME placing the ad, doing all the interviewing and dealing with unreliable - or worse - nannies. And I can't, apparently, rely on evenings and weekends to work because HE needs that time to do schoolwork. I know I am not the only woman to go through this, but how, exactly, is arranging for child care my responsibility and mine alone? Argh.

Ok, whine over. Thanks for listening.

Ooooh, Ellen just layed her head on a pillow. Maybe a nap is coming? I can only hope...

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#66 of 135 Old 05-05-2010, 06:36 PM

everyone seems to be having such a rough time. I will share my chocolate cake with everyone. It's all home made, two layers, and it has cream cheese icing and slices of strawberries on top. My sister made it.

DD1 is bouncing off the walls today. I love her, but I just need her to stop talking to me for 5 minutes. Just 5 minutes of no talking or movement. Please...

The midwife came over today. In the past 6 days the baby has gained 15.5 ounces! That's almost a pound! No wonder she nurses and poops so much.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#67 of 135 Old 05-05-2010, 07:46 PM

Amy, i feel the same way about my 10yr old SDD. She talks and asks questions all day long.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#68 of 135 Old 05-05-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
DD1 is bouncing off the walls today. I love her, but I just need her to stop talking to me for 5 minutes. Just 5 minutes of no talking or movement. Please...
OMG I have offered dd1 serious cash to be silent for just five minutes.

She seems physically incapable.

#69 of 135 Old 05-05-2010, 08:15 PM

I feel better knowing I'm not the only one desperate for silence.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#70 of 135 Old 05-05-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace+Hope View Post
to anyone experiencing a hard time, i hope it lifts so soon! charlie is on day 3 of not constantly fussing or crying when he's awake (a period of about a week and 1/2). i appreciated everyone responding to my questions about gassiness. i did start to use at about 3 key times during the day/night the gripe water i bought. i like it b/c it is sweetened w/ agave (very low on the glycemic index sugar) and is just a few herbs. the dose is large (2.5 ml), so takes a few minutes, but it has really worked, and i think not just episodically. once we started using it, a few days later everything calmed down for him. now i'm back to believing that all the crying really was pain, because i had started to wonder if he was just going to be a fussy baby from now on . i was even thinking, well, i screwed up the attachment parenting thing, i must have not responded properly to his cues, and now it's too late.

stinky dipes/burp cloths: mine were smelling seaweedy too! do you mean fishy, or just musty? my SIL had the fishy problem, and found out that the A&D ointment she was using had fish oil in it . anyway, i added a cold short cycle with no soap (front loader with no cold rinse option, like GMD recommends). that seems to help, so when i do the soap cycle most of the poop is already gone. i don't have the copious breast milk issues you're describing though. maybe a hot rinse first would get some of the milk fats out?
Ooh, tell me more about this gripe water! I know it's contested as to whether it actually works but it sounds like you've had really good results with it. What brand do you use?

The "seaweed" smell is definitely just sour, barfed up milk. She's mostly newborn and cutie but occasionally smells a little buttermilky or seaweedy.. I think that the vinegar is helping, and a hot rinse first sounds like a good idea (I had been doing it after the soap/ wash)... just have to remember to do it

Sounds like you've hit a great place with your 6 week old! How lovely, can't wait!
#71 of 135 Old 05-05-2010, 08:21 PM

Dang it, pepper! Why did you say chocolate cake!??!?

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#72 of 135 Old 05-05-2010, 08:55 PM

DD2 is 3 weeks old and we are doing really well! I've been surprised at how easy it has been to integrate her into our lives so far. She is a really easy baby sort of, she just wants to be held - but the catch is you must be moving or nursing her. I win at that game. I feel like I nurse her almost too much so I don't have to get up and wiggle/dance around with her. She is also ok with the bouncy chair as long as it is constantly being bounced with your foot. I feel for all of you moms with fussy babies!! Jess - look into reflux, DD1 had silent reflux, she didn't really spit up but I could hear her refluxing and see bits of spit up in her mouth. She cried and cried for the 1st 6 weeks and then we got her some zantac. Within 48 hours she was a totally different baby, a happy one.

Yesterday DD1 got up at 6:30 am and DD2 wouldn't let me fall asleep until 1 am last night! And then of course today we had to get up at 7 am, I am sooo tired! Every time I would nurse her to sleep and then try and move like an inch to get more comfortable she would wake up and want to nurse again! We played this game for 2 hours, so not fun. Tonight or maybe tomorrow depending on if I can clean it up once I get off of here, we move into the nursery. There is a double bed in there and I plan on trying the crib for the 1st part of the night and then cosleeping the rest. I gotta get away from DH's snoring and rolling around and making tons of noise when he wakes up in the morning. DD2 is also such a grunty, noisy, wiggly sleeper - she wakes to nurse about 1-2x a night but fakes me out about 10x a night. She moves and grunts like she is waking to nurse, I wake up and try to stuff a boob in her mouth and she just falls back to sleep before she ever latches on. I'm hoping she'll take to the crib and I can get a little more sleep.

We're also smack in the middle of cluster nursing. I nursed DD2 for two hours straight before dinner and I've been spending every night nursing her from about 8-11 straight.

RE: Babies in buckets. DD2 has been in her bucket almost exclusively when we've been out. And the bucket attached to the stroller too! I've had a really hard recovery and I can't wear/carry her yet without lots of pain. I pick her up if she is crying but if she is happy or asleep, she stays in there. I hold her all day at home on the couch but walking/standing and carrying her is too much right now.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#73 of 135 Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 PM

yeah pepper! i dont have any and now it sounds good!

hugs to all those who need them. i hope everyone survives the days ok and at least sees some sunshine in their day through constant nursing, barfing or screaming.

i think i got my wish and the baby fairy replaced my fussy child with a new one yesterday night. *sigh* things had been hard (although i know EASY compared to many of you!) and he was constantly needing me to touch him. every. second. of. the.day. and i was going BATTY. i do need to do dishes, laundry etc to keep myself sane. i am not sure how much he was picking up on my stress cause i didn't even know i was stressed out until i felt 100% better this morn and his mood has changed as well. met with exbf (his dad) yesterday for the first time in 8 months and it was nerveracking. finally over with though. huge sigh of relief.

we're going to have to move. soon. and i don't like having no plan! no idea WHERE we're going, when, or how much it's gonna cost but we need space NOW.

going to try and keep up a little better. has been hard to type lately nakking.
#74 of 135 Old 05-05-2010, 09:56 PM

Silence from toddlers: today I took DD out to the park. I nursed the baby, sat on a bench, and watched her while she talked and talked and talked while playing in a creek. I said, "Oh, I see... yep, I'm watching you," periodically. And the whole time, I was listening to NPR in one earpiece of my iPod. That's really the only sort of break I get (oh, and naptime-- sweet, wonderful nap time. Every time I hear her happy little snore in the next room, it feels just a tiny bit like walking out of the class room after the final exam before Christmas).

Seriously, I don't know how she does it. It exhausts me just to listen. Sometimes, she says the same things ten times in a row. "I put my baby in a basket. She likes it. I put her in a basket, she likes it. She likes it that I put her in a basket. I put my baby in a basket. Do you see the basket? I put the baby in it, she likes it." AGH!!!!!!

Food: Does anyone else feel like they are eating ALL THE TIME? I know I'm nursing the baby, but wow-- I'm not sure whether the eating is a coping mechanism for not-much-mental-stimulation or if I really do need all these calories...?

P&H, I'm so glad the gripe water is working for you! We have one w/ the same ingredients, and it's actually CVS brand (I couldn't find the name brand)-- V seems to really like the taste of it (and, of course, so does DD, who remembers the pretty bottle and always asks for a squirt herself)

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
#75 of 135 Old 05-05-2010, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
everyone seems to be having such a rough time. I will share my chocolate cake with everyone. It's all home made, two layers, and it has cream cheese icing and slices of strawberries on top. My sister made it.
Okay, YUM. And in exchange, I will share the cupcakes I made for my daughter's birthday. They're chocolate with dulce de leche frosting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
Ooh, tell me more about this gripe water! I know it's contested as to whether it actually works but it sounds like you've had really good results with it. What brand do you use?
I read some studies that broke down the ingredients in gripe water and tested them individually. They found that the effective ingredient in them was the sweetener -- the sweet taste calms babies down. It doesn't always work (didn't help my DD who suffered from dairy-intolerance-induced reflux), but it does help some kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaterPrimaePuellae View Post
Seriously, I don't know how she does it. It exhausts me just to listen. Sometimes, she says the same things ten times in a row. "I put my baby in a basket. She likes it. I put her in a basket, she likes it. She likes it that I put her in a basket. I put my baby in a basket. Do you see the basket? I put the baby in it, she likes it." AGH!!!!!!
Oh, this is SO my daughter. I, also, am the master of the non-listening response. She just has to be talking at all times. Or there's the lovely, "Let's play!" Okay, what do you want to play? "Play with me, Mommy!" What should we play? [whine] "Let's PLAY!!!!!!"

AFM -- After a few good evenings, the crazy fussy baby was back. I have no idea how he lasted until 9pm -- he's been awake a ton today, and was up from about 5pm on. By 8pm he was just overtired and wailing away hopelessly. Couldn't nurse him, couldn't rock him, couldn't take him for a walk. I have no idea how we finally knocked him out, but we did. Let's hope he gets a good long stretch of sleep.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#76 of 135 Old 05-05-2010, 11:15 PM

NAK

I'm soooooooooooo hungry. All the time. For everything. Cookies, cake, pretzels, veggies, hummus, hot dogs with sauerkraut....... I have a bad feeling that I'm not getting enough calories, because I'm 10 days postpartum and back in my regular clothes and back to my pre-preg weight (which was, itself, underweight). Gah. No matter what I do, when I breastfeed a baby, I'm hopelessly underweight and incapable of gaining. I eat protein like it's my job. I eat good full-fat foods. I eat a large variety of foods. Nothing. It's so frustrating to always feel like you have a hole in your stomach.

I'm getting adjusted over here to nursing 2 babies. It's been interesting. DD just started the I-need-to-be-attached-to-your-boob-from-7pm-to-10pm fussies tonight, and right after I got her settled in bed with DH, DS throws a humongous fit, asking to nurse. I'm feeling a bit touched-out by the end of the day, but keeping to my promise to DS of once a day nursing, and keeping to feeding DD on demand. We're only using the paci for the car at this point.

I'm in need of some lifehacking. It feels like I have this precious time to get things in order, and I need to set up a routine that works by the end of this maternity leave.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#77 of 135 Old 05-05-2010, 11:55 PM

Mpp and Jen- BOTH of my big girls are constant yakkers. I can't deal with it...especially when they are both talking about different things!

Sme- I was like that with my first. People didn't get how frustrating it was to not be able to keep weight on! I was eating high fat foods in an effort to just maintain my weight. Though for me it took a few weeks for the rapid weight loss to start.

AFM- We got chickens! Dd1 and Lucy and I went to a local farm store and got 2 Rhode Island Red chicks today. Now, technically they aren't legal without prior okay from city council...but our neighbours are fine with it. So Twinkle and Nugget are part of the family. DH, who was indifferent, said after 5 minutes of having them here, "okay, having chickens is going to be awesome."

Lucy and I discovered the pouch sling today! I found a peanut shell (which I had with dd1) at a consignment store for $5 while pg. Later I noticed it was a small, and sadly told a friend she could have it for her sister. I grabbed it to put in the mail today and it looked big for a small. I measured it and it was tagged wrong. It's a medium. I tried it and it just fits (almost too big, I like pouches to be almost too small). My friend's sister is 50lbs lighter and around 4" shorter than me. Definitely wouldn't fit her. I've worn her comfortably in it all day. Nice to have for a diaper bag sling.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#78 of 135 Old 05-06-2010, 12:59 AM

I got tons of smiles from Anna tonight. She was awake and looking at me, but I thought it was too early for smiles. It's happened a few times in the last couple of days.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#79 of 135 Old 05-06-2010, 09:30 AM

That was a horrific morning. I call a do-over.

Since DD was born (and it's light out earlier), DS has been crawling into bed with me around 6am and falling back asleep. This is fine with me, because we have been completely incapable of getting him to bed before 11pm, and I need the sleep, however I can get it. Especially since I'm now up nursing during the night.

Well this morning he comes in at first light, SCREAMING. Not just crying. I do the body check, everything looks ok. He asks to nurse. I'm already nursing the baby, so I tell him he has to wait a bit. He starts hitting and kicking and grabbing at me, throwing himself around, and generally endangering all 3 of us. I tell him he needs to calm down a bit, and move so that I'm shielding DD. He stops lashing out, but the screaming continues. For 3 hours. Continual screaming - doesn't want to nurse, doesn't want a diaper change, nothing helps this child.

So I'm exhausted, and considering selling DS on eBay. I honestly didn't think the hardest thing about having 2 kids would be dealing with the ONE I ALREADY HAVE.

ETA: As soon as I posted that, DD had her first epic spit-up. All over me. I may just be done for today and it's 8:40am.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#80 of 135 Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 PM

Dh went back to work today & so far it is going well. DD1 is still in her pj's but me and dd2 are dressed. She is asleep in a pretty cotton wrap as I type I am making a true effort to ensure that I wear her a lot b/c she is SUCH an easy baby so far (dd1 was, too) & it is WAY too easy to put her down and walk away all the time. Esp since I will be taking dd1 to places, I have to make sure that dd2 is used to being worn.

Pacifiers: All four babies that we have had have way preferred the old-style bulb pacis over the goofy orthodontic ones. acutally, Idk if dd2 prefers the bulb b/c I just skipped the orthos w/ her! Her v v fave bink right now is the Natursutten rubber bink in 0-3 mos size. She will also take the Playtex binks that are cylinders like a real nipple, but that bulb on the end of the Sutten makes all the difference in it being easier to grip.

Pepper, I am also watching True Blood! How much does it piss you off that there are only 2 episodes per disk?? I only get one Netflix disk at a time & it is grating on my nerves. When dd1 was born, dh and I watched all of House (season 4 had just started airing). If you have seen all of House, I also recommend the X-Files &/or Scrubs. Both have plenty of seasons.

Well, I have the car today & want to go out somewhere, but I'm not sure where. And dd2 is bundled so cozy that I hate to unwrap her. Hrm.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#81 of 135 Old 05-06-2010, 01:23 PM

Dogretro, we've been watching X-Files while waiting for HRH Baby Girl to arrive.

I'm still waiting for my cake from Pepper. 41 week pregnant lady over here who NEEDS MOAR CAKE.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#82 of 135 Old 05-06-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaterPrimaePuellae View Post

Food: Does anyone else feel like they are eating ALL THE TIME? I know I'm nursing the baby, but wow-- I'm not sure whether the eating is a coping mechanism for not-much-mental-stimulation or if I really do need all these calories...?
This is my toddler too. Dd1 used to do it as well. The good news is that they grow out of it - well, the repetition anyway. Not the talking part.

And yes, I am eating and hungry ALL THE TIME too. I don't know how much is nursing and how much is habit. I am actually getting tired of eating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamama View Post
Mpp and Jen- BOTH of my big girls are constant yakkers. I can't deal with it...especially when they are both talking about different things!
OMG, do you get it in stereo too? I swear, I will have one kid on each side of me talking - in increasing volume as they try to outtalk each other! Gah!

for the sling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew_crafty_girl View Post
I got tons of smiles from Anna tonight. She was awake and looking at me, but I thought it was too early for smiles. It's happened a few times in the last couple of days.
Awwww...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
That was a horrific morning. I call a do-over.
I almost called the circus yesterday to see if they wanted to rent out my older two. Instead I had a temper tantrum and threw books at a wall, followed by a tequila shot promptly at five pm. I highly recommend it. Hope the day gets better.

afm WE GOT SLEEP!!! I started giving Maya gripe water at the first sign of gas, and added some homeopathic colic tablets. Also took her into the shower with me, which she seemed to find soothing. Long story short, she fell asleep by 10:30, and slept in 3-4 hour stretches last night!! Hannah had an issue around that time, but dh sweetly stepped in to walk her while I passed out. Not sure what time he came to bed, but I don't think it was too late. I feel like a new woman today! I am hoping this is an actual solution, not just a fluke!

So, with any luck today I will get shots of the babies for the birth announcement, and maybe even get some laundry done. Clean clothes would be cool.

#83 of 135 Old 05-06-2010, 02:12 PM

Tequila. That might help.

#84 of 135 Old 05-06-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Tequila. That might help.
According to my dh tequila helps anything. Sorry your morning was so rough. I've been undergoing the same type of thing where the wee one is quiet, nonfussy,etc but the older ones are constantly crying, tantruming, etc. And you can sign me up for the talkers. It's mostly my oldest and my next to youngest. Middle child is having lots of drama but at least don't talk to me 24/7. My youngest woke up at FIVE and tried to talk to me until I finally kicked her out to bug her dad. And then, like every morning, when I got up, my ds talked nonstop until his sisters got up. He doesn't even mind my groggy half answers as long as he gets to talk.

I went for simple with my milk supply and started having oatmeal for breakfast every day. That worked. I don't think I've ever been so thrilled to have leaking. Plus when I weighed her today she was at 10.6. She's becoming a lot more alert and active. We're having a lot of fun during her active times. She responds to our voices and is starting to zone in our faces.

Of course now that I'm feeling good about this I'm worried as my two older kids have head colds. And worrying about surviving the summer as well as possibly next year. Dh is making applications out to other states: Austin, Portland, OR, and I'm sort of in a panic trying to figure out how we'd move to these places if he got a job. It keeps me up at night and now I'm thinking "Crap PPD is headed my way." Ark. Trying to get outside a lot, relax more, and just enjoy the kids. Hopefully it will help keep the anxiety at bay.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

#85 of 135 Old 05-06-2010, 05:11 PM

sme, are you ok? don't hit the tequila too hard

gtt, wow, those would be big moves!

gripe water: i haven't read any scientific studies, but i know lots of people use herbs to help calm their babies digestion, which also works for adults... when we give it to charlie, he relaxes, which could be the sugar, though the gripe water i have, brand wellements, is less sweet tasting than breast milk. he doesn't relax right away, but after a few minutes, and then burps a lot, which could be from taking it, but he sure seems less gassy afterwards. and he's given up his i'm-going-to-grunt-in-my-sleep-from-4am-to-7am-every-day behavior.

i don't think it is breaking up bubbles in the stomach like milocon supposedly does, but i do think it eases his digestive system.

or, maybe he was just going through a week 1/2 stage that stopped the same time we started using the gripe water...

fwiw, they do use sugar in NICUs to calm babies, because it does cause a serge in adrenalin. charlie had it before i got there, my husband didn't know any better

#86 of 135 Old 05-06-2010, 05:31 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#87 of 135 Old 05-06-2010, 05:32 PM

Haha, I'm good. DS fell asleep around 3:15 and seems to still be out. Score. I actually picked up a book today. It was bliss.

And I thought about the tequila, then realized that all we have in our liquor cabinet is a bottle of vodka that has now moved with us four times - it was mine from college. We're big drinkers, can you tell?

Ginger, so glad the oatmeal worked! I love oatmeal.

#88 of 135 Old 05-06-2010, 05:35 PM

How much do I love the new mdc mobile?! I'm reading while nursing in bed, and not having to deal with ads = mobile . Typing is another story. My fingers still haven't lost the baby weight apparently.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#89 of 135 Old 05-06-2010, 05:41 PM

SME--I have the same problem with food and weight! No matter how much I eat, I cannot gain weight while nursing. People keep commenting that I don't look like I just had a baby...no one seems to understand how frustrating that is. I would like a little body fat. Instead I just feel like (and look like) I'm starving to death!

I know I'm putting out high calorie milk since DD2 gained a pound in a week.

I think I'm really dehydrated. I can't seem to get enough to drink and I'm not peeing very much. Part of it is that I just forget to drink, between taking care of two kids and everything.

My new DD is so odd. She gets sleepy and I will lay her down for a second to go do something, like poop or help DD1, and then two minutes later I come back and she's asleep. She sleeps for hours! She hardly ever cries.

I feel like I'm neglecting her or something, since she'll happily snooze out of arms for such a long time. I tried a wrap and a ring sling and she doesn't like them. She would rather sit in this stupid bouncy seat! (And then I think why am I sad about this? I was so stressed with clingy DD1...) I don't know what to think.

#90 of 135 Old 05-06-2010, 05:45 PM

Pepper, I think we're dealing with the same baby. I stare at her, waiting for the hysterics to start, and she sleeps. For hours. Not minutes. Hours. This is unreal.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page