cloth diaperers... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2010, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We use a diaper service with prefolds here, and have a variety of covers from friends and family. We LOVE the Litte to Big Beetle organic wool covers for nighttime. They are $$, but grow with baby to two years old and hold up beautifully. I lanolize them once a week and otherwise they don't ever need washing, etc, and DS stays dry through his epic 9-10 hour nights without a diaper change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 11:50 AM

I tried the SBish wool cover last night.

LOVE it! Totally worth the money. It's the best cover (wool or PUL) I've ever used.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 05-12-2010, 02:19 PM

What are you all using for diaper pails?

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:28 PM

I just use a regular 13 gallon trash can with a pop up lid and a Thirsties liner that can be washed along with the diapers. Currently, since I EBF and wash everything together, it doubles as a hamper too, but that'll change later when formula/food are introduced.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Old 05-12-2010, 02:44 PM

I just use a big wet bag with an elastic opening. I have two of them so I can have one in the wash and one in use. We never needed an actual thing with a lid for DD, so I didn't get one this time either. When it gets to the smelly stage during toddler years (it was never *that* bad though) I keep the bag in the laundry room with the door closed.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 05-12-2010, 03:18 PM

I just have a wetbag that hangs on the door handle. It holds one day's worth of diapers, so it motivates me to wash daily (otherwise I'm lazy and wait until we are down to one diaper and then franticly wash the rest, hoping she doesn't poop. )

I find that a lidded container just concentrates the stink. Nothing like opening a diaper pail first thing in the morning and being hit by that wave of urine smell. Who needs coffee?

Anyone have hard water? At our previous house we had a full house softener so I never worried about it, but here we don't, and our water is hard enough to feel sticky sometimes. I've read I can use calgon - anyone have any experience with that?

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Old 05-12-2010, 03:21 PM

i'm just using two drawstring bookbag style gym bags that are water proof. and i don't pull them shut

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 05-12-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
I just have a wetbag that hangs on the door handle. It holds one day's worth of diapers, so it motivates me to wash daily (otherwise I'm lazy and wait until we are down to one diaper and then franticly wash the rest, hoping she doesn't poop. )

I find that a lidded container just concentrates the stink. Nothing like opening a diaper pail first thing in the morning and being hit by that wave of urine smell. Who needs coffee?

Anyone have hard water? At our previous house we had a full house softener so I never worried about it, but here we don't, and our water is hard enough to feel sticky sometimes. I've read I can use calgon - anyone have any experience with that?
We have extremely hard water. When I tested it (with the kit I use for the aquarium lol) it was off the scale!

I have to put Calgon in my diapers or they get stiff and icky feeling. I put 2/3rds a cap full in with the detergent, then do an extra rinse.

I've also figured out using a couple tablespoons (estimation) of vinegar in the cold soak helps, but any more vinegar than that makes it worse!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:01 PM

another bagger here, small wet bags from GMD, one upstairs and one down. washing every other day....

i can't believe i ever wondered if 3 dozen dipes would be too many! b/n the oh-so-fun multiple changes, keeping dipes up and downstairs, and a few always in the diaper bag, i actually seem to be running out every other day.

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:30 PM

I also just use a regular garbage can with a pop up lid. I have bummis wetbag/liners (two of 'em) that I wash with the diapers.

I personally can't tell a difference between lid on and lid off so I keep my lid closed so my daughter doesn't get too curious about trying to play in there... she'd pull everything out if she could see that things are in it.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:51 PM

I have two large Mommy's Touch wetbags so I can rotate them. We use a kitchen-style trash can w/ pedal & lid. We also have a small Cosco pail that I don't put a liner in & that has a pedal & lid, too. Right now we are only using the big can, but once I set up a diaper & potty station downstairs (mainly for dd2 who is potty training), I will put the small pail down there.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

User Tag List