cloth diaperers... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 71 Old 05-04-2010, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How's it going? What is working for you? Not working?

Our one size wraps (wonderwraps) don't fit right. The first night I tried one it left a huge red stripe on Lucy's thigh. It just looked like a scratch, but developed into a smooth, raised bright red wept that was there about a week. I'm hoping it was a fit issue, and will try them as she gets bigger.

The gdiapers we love! She's out of their tiny g's (newborn size) and in the smalls. We used either one infant or 2 preemie prefolds as stuffers...but Tue preemies fit better. We also have 6 g-flappers that are 6 layers of bamboo. They are great for longer periods like car trips. The only downside is how addictive the covers are! Too cute. I'm dying 3 of them black and adding iron on patches to 2 and a rhinestone skull and crossbones to the other. I told DH I need to get a sewing machine to make my own!

I haven't used our all in ones yet because they are too big. At night I reach for a snappi contour (and even though we have enough for overnights, I plan on buying all I find for sale since they are no longer made and I want them for future kids and loaner dipes). For a cover with them I like fpeece

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 71 Old 05-04-2010, 02:18 AM

During the day we use a Snappi'd orange-edged newborn prefold underneath a Bummis Super Brite cover, size newborn. When she gets a little bigger we will trifold the prefold instead of Snappi'ing. This is a perfect newborn system, imo, as we have used it four times

At night we use a BumGenius bamboo fitted (discontinued, sadly) under a small Aristocrats wool soaker that has been felted down to newborn size. I change the fitted a couple times per night, when she wakes to eat.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#3 of 71 Old 05-04-2010, 10:35 AM

ds is spending most of the daytime nakey-bum.. he had a nasty rash from my antibiotics course that has yet to clear after 3 weeks (it's not really rash anymore.. I think it damaged the skin and will just take time, like popped blisters)
Anyways, we were using gdiaper covers- small and thirsties covers- xsmall over prefolds- either orange, or I found the larger yellow work if folded the opposite direction. I tried a snappi, but it kept snagging the fabric and I dont know if I'm doing something wrong, but I don't like the idea of all my diapers being snagged.

I haven't found a great diaper cream for use with cloth, so we're doing disposables for longer stretches of time so I can lather him up while we're waiting for him to heal

we've done a little cd'ing out of the house, and I LOVE the wetbag I got- has a pocket for dry stuff so all cd-ing stuff is contained in one bag! how cute are those owls..
http://www.lesliesboutique.com/new_wetdry_bag

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#4 of 71 Old 05-04-2010, 12:36 PM

I sold most of our diapers after DD2 outgrew them, so our newborn/small diapers are a hodgepodge mix prefolds, mamamade diapers and a few tiny brandname fitteds. We're using wool covers as much as possible. She's outgrown almost all of our newborn stash, and I'm waiting for a ton of Goodmama diapers in the mail from a friend so we aren't washing every day/running out of diapers and using sposies.

Every time I do a wash I grumble about just wanting to use disposables, until I go buy a pack and realize how $$$$ they are. Say, averaged over a kid’s diapering years, they go through 10 diapers a day. If a kid potty-trains early, you are looking at 2 years of diapers (730 days) or, if they are more average, 3 years (1095 days). So, at 10 diapers a day, you are looking at about 7500 to 11000 diapers. According to amazon, the average price for a Huggies diaper is about a quarter. (eco friendly diapers are more expensive) Now.. what if you pay a quarter for every diaper for 2 years? You just shelled out $1935 for poop catchers that do not even always work. And what if your kid is average and goes closer to 3 years before they potty train? $2838 dollars thrown into the landfills. And THEN? You have another kid. I am wayyyyy too cheap to spend enough for a vacation to the coast on diapers.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#5 of 71 Old 05-04-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver's Mama View Post
ds is spending most of the daytime nakey-bum.. he had a nasty rash from my antibiotics course that has yet to clear after 3 weeks (it's not really rash anymore.. I think it damaged the skin and will just take time, like popped blisters)
Anyways, we were using gdiaper covers- small and thirsties covers- xsmall over prefolds- either orange, or I found the larger yellow work if folded the opposite direction. I tried a snappi, but it kept snagging the fabric and I dont know if I'm doing something wrong, but I don't like the idea of all my diapers being snagged.

I haven't found a great diaper cream for use with cloth, so we're doing disposables for longer stretches of time so I can lather him up while we're waiting for him to heal

we've done a little cd'ing out of the house, and I LOVE the wetbag I got- has a pocket for dry stuff so all cd-ing stuff is contained in one bag! how cute are those owls..
http://www.lesliesboutique.com/new_wetdry_bag
Could your LO have a yeast rash? You might want to google it. But persistent rash that wont go away especially after a course of antibiotics might be yeast and could benefit from a round of nystatin or other product to help clear yeast.

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
#6 of 71 Old 05-04-2010, 01:15 PM

ita w/alicia on yeast... you need to treat your cloth diapers w/a bit of bleach as well to rid the yeast.

day - love TFF w/thirsties covers or KL contours - fast easy. we are now in infant PF too. DD hates a wet butt, so we are constantly changing. We have plenty of fitteds, so the PF always get used last, but we still like them. we are using infant size now at 2.5 weeks. our small pockets are starting to fit, but still leak.

night - BSRB w/fleece liner or GAD stuffable fitted with a MF/hemp combo insert & either a WCW soaker or a Fishnoodles cover. typically I can get away w/only 1 nighttime diaper change.

DH threw my wool in the diaper laundry so now I have to wash & relanolize. grrr. good think my WCW was already felted LOL

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#7 of 71 Old 05-04-2010, 01:35 PM

We love cloth! I've never bought any disposable diapers, for DD1 or this babe. We're too poor to come up with money to spend on diapers weekly.

We use prefolds with snappis, kissaluvs, and Sandy's fitted diapers.

The Sandy's diapers are GREAT. Size small is 8-20 pounds (I think) and they are super absorbent. They are similar to the Kissaluvs, just better!

For covers this time we're using mainly wool. Loving it so far--some of my wool covers are totally poop proof. Nothing escapes!! We also have some Bumpy Day, Imse Vimse, and Prowrap covers left over from DD1 that I use when putting on a onesie occasionally or something similar.

With the wool Ada wears little dresses or t-shirts. I love the wool skirties and shorties paired with bright colored t-shirts. Simple, easy, no snaps, and super cute.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#8 of 71 Old 05-04-2010, 01:44 PM

We're using orange-edge (NB) prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers, and an assortment of NB size covers. The Flip covers have been working surprisingly well; I was skeptical about one-size anything since we've never had that work out well before. We also like the Bumpy wool covers. We have some wool soakers too; we use Snappis or pins when we do that. But DD can produce a rather astonishing volume of pee and we only use the soakers when we're at home.

We're about to move into size Small stuff. It will be essentially the same thing, only a size up .

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#9 of 71 Old 05-04-2010, 01:53 PM

if i had a huge supply of bum genius sized all-in-ones I'd be using cloth exclusively. but the prefold/cover combo still looks SO huge on her. I need to get DH to wash all of the fitteds so I can try that and see if it's a bit less bulky looking.

But I just loved the all in ones... i wish they were waaay cheaper. one all-in-one costs as much as a whole pack of chlorine free sposies.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#10 of 71 Old 05-04-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver's Mama View Post
Baby Badger Balm, Burt's Bees Baby Bee Skin Cream, and Butt Paste all work just fine w/ prefolds

jumpers.gif

#11 of 71 Old 05-04-2010, 03:07 PM

This is great! We are still on disposables and I am already seeing the temptation to stick with em... however, all of the disposables we got were gifts from well meaning people or free from the hospital. Since we are totally new to all of this and still getting into the swing of things, it's been nice having these. She is finally growing out of the "preemie" size (she was 6 pounds at birth) so that makes me happy! But we were given a ton of newborn and even size 1 diapers too, so I might keep using those for nighttime or some day trips.
Now that her umbilical cord stump finally fell off, I'm hoping to try CDing in the next week or so. Her little bum is so teensy! But I think I have at least one Thirsty cover that will work.
I bought kind of haphazardly when I was figuring out the difference between an all in one, a cover, a prefold, etc etc. Not sure I understand all of that yet and I need to dig through my stash to see what we actually ended up with. But I have a feeling we're going to like a simple fitted diaper and cover best, we'll see.
#12 of 71 Old 05-04-2010, 03:12 PM

you guys inspired me. i just put all of my fitteds and covers in the wash so that I can start playing around with them.

#13 of 71 Old 05-04-2010, 05:54 PM

the GMD orange prefolds worked as soon as we got charlie home from the NICU, even at under 5 lbs! i'm realizing i didn't need to order 6 snappies, duh. we've only used one, and the cats haven't gotten it yet!

all our covers are hand-knitted wool, picky pants and curly purlies, and work great. time is passing so quickly that i was surprised when it was time already to re-lanolize. til then i was starting to question the wool .

we have some imse vimse wool wraps that he won't fit into for awhile, so for now it's all the pants covers. they are really very flexible for size.

as he grows, i'll be knitting more picky pants for sure. super cute and knit up in just a few hrs.

anyone else using knitted wool for covers? the two i have that are peace fleece are HOT, and it's in the high 70s here. to be fair, they are also ones a friend made since i was not able to knit for awhile and came up short on covers once he was born. i had not gauged the peace fleece, and just had her use the gauge from a lighter wool i think... so they are a tighter fabric than the others.

have had a problem with my prefolds smelling, but not sure what of, when they come out of the dryer. i've only used weleda calendula cream on him 1-2 days here and there. a second wash seemed to take care of it. my detergent is GMD approved...

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#14 of 71 Old 05-04-2010, 06:08 PM

Nothing fits Molly yet. When I was pregnant I got a whole stash of XS FuzziBunz and XS Swaddlebees knowing that the OS BG would be too big, well, the XS's are too big too she wasnt a 'tiny baby' - 7lbs 12oz but for some reason everything is HUGE on her. Newborn sized clothes look funny as she is so tiny. Im hoping within the next couple of weeks we'll be able to stop using 'sposies and get her into the XS stuff.

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#15 of 71 Old 05-04-2010, 06:27 PM

I have a dozen of fitteds of different kinds, three small wool covers, two small thirsties duo, and 15 very baby aios. Before his cord stump fell off, which just happened three days ago, aios rubbed too much on it and irritated it, so I didn't like using those at all. Now they work pretty well, although I still like my fitteds better. The only truly newborn fitteds I had were a couple of Mutts, and then I ordered four more after figuring out that they were the only ones to snap under the umbilical cord. Even though he weighed 9 lbs at birth, he has skinny legs, so things tend to leak out if they are not tight enough. I'm really wishing that I skipped Thirsties Duos because I'd like to use more wool. I also wish I got some nb wool soakers and more fitteds. I'm debating ordering one still, hmm...Although, he is growing so fast...Anyhow, we were mostly using disposables before the cord fell off, and now using mostly cloth with some disposables at night. We got three or four packages for our shower and from the hospital, not planning on getting anymore.

Anyway, in the last three or so months of CDing (after getting inspired by one of the threads on here by the way ), I'm figuring out that I like to have a mix of fitteds and wool for a more breathable option as well as more trim, easy option, although I prefer pockets to AIOs for that.

Lena , wife to best friend Joe , mommy to my two sweetie pies, DS1 born 7.7.07 and DS2 just arrived 4.17.10
#16 of 71 Old 05-05-2010, 09:13 PM

We're using a combination of NB prefolds and contour diapers that I made out of old t-shirts.
The covers I made are way too big, so we wound up using Thirsties. We have a regular xsmall wrap with already-curling-up velcro, which annoys me, and a Thirsties Duo Wrap Snap cover, which I love.
It's all snaps and no velcro, but it fits my little 6lb 13ozer beautifully, and in theory, it'll fit until 18 pounds.
The velcro one will supposedly fit until 12 pounds, but I doubt the velcro will last that long.

I was worried about PUL diaper covers, since my last DD couldn't handle them (instant rash), but this little one seems to be doing just fine so far.

Now that we have these Thirsties, I might just stick with them until she fits the wool/fleece ones I've made. I'd really prefer to use wool, but pre-made wool covers are out of my price range, and I am not feeling up to sewing yet, especially since I'd have to go to thrift stores and scour for wool sweaters first, and those are a pain to find in the summer.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#17 of 71 Old 05-06-2010, 01:21 AM

P&H, I actually decided to give wool a try when dd1 was an infant b/c she sweated A LOT. I would take off the PUL cover and there would be giant sweat beads on it and on her hips. She has never sweated in wool as far as I could tell. DD2 wears wool to bed & sometimes during the day, and dd1 almost exclusively wears wool 24/7 year round. They wear Aristocrats soakers which are knitted to three layers in the crotch. Their wet diapers are cool to the touch when I change them, even in the heat.

Fox, Diaper Swappers is a great place to get cheap wool. My Crats cost half-price for dd1's and next to nothing for dd2's.

jumpers.gif

#18 of 71 Old 05-06-2010, 02:31 AM

I have to say, I love small fitteds without any cover over them! I change him often enough to where usually even his clothes doesn't get wet, when he pees. I splurged on four fitted bamboo diapers from babysteals today. Seriously, approximately $15/diaper is a lot for me. I usually keep it to $10 or less. Anyhow, I think I'll stick to what we have now and make it work. I think I will really love coverless in the summer!

Lena , wife to best friend Joe , mommy to my two sweetie pies, DS1 born 7.7.07 and DS2 just arrived 4.17.10
#19 of 71 Old 05-07-2010, 05:58 PM

I posted this on the diapering forum, too, but I'll ask here.

Fuzzibunz or bumgenius? AIO sized or one-size? Or another brand?

I'm not loving prefolds. And I like the fitteds okay, but I just really like the AIO and pockets.

#20 of 71 Old 05-07-2010, 06:16 PM

fb & bg both are bad fits on us (big thighs, little waist), we prefer blueberry diapers & happy heinys

A PhD = + +
#21 of 71 Old 05-07-2010, 10:26 PM

So we have DS in Fuzzibunz leftover from his sis and I also bought Gro Baby Diapers to last us until potty training. DS has a rash on his bum that seems to get much redder with the FB. But the GBD are so large on him, that he can't roll around and move like he wants. He honestly seems to be happiest when I don't have a diaper on him and just let him air out. But, this kid pees all the time. Everytime a diaper is off of him, I stick a prefold underneath his bottom and one on top so he doesn't spray everywhere. Both prefolds get soaked during the airing and usually the blanket he is on as well.

I started infant potty training with my daughter when she was 2 months old. I want to wait to start with DS because I am still a tad bit sore from my c/s and am trying to be there for my daughter. But I may have to start sooner given how happy DS is to be free of diapers. During his evening crankiness, he gets so much happier when I take off his diaper.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#22 of 71 Old 05-08-2010, 12:17 PM

Well I guess I may have a hundred dollars worth of really nice spit rags..
the pediatrician confirmed ds2 has a yeast diaper rash and thrush, and since I've tried every treatment under the sun (literally including sunlight on his bum too) and let him air out 5 hours a day and change diapers constantly, the pediatrician says he may just have very sensitive skin - we all do here- and just can't be against any wetness without breaking out. He's had this rash for the better part of his tiny life. So- the ped was hinting to me that cloth diapers just may not be best for him. (yes, I'd been disinfecting them in the wash) I've tried fleece liners, but they still feel a bit damp too.

Is everyone using cloth wipes with their dipes? I had been, with distilled water (and tried apple cider vinegar and then GSE added) but the pediatrician said homemade wipes can make the rash worse since they're a bit rougher. I figured all the chemicals in sposie wipes were the greater evil, but I guess there's no good wipes fabric out there that would be softer than the premium sposie wipes.

The prefolds come in handy though for catching all the pee and poop when he airs out.. so I guess you can say I'm open-cloth-diapering

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#23 of 71 Old 05-08-2010, 12:27 PM

we've had yeast 2x - change uber often - that'll help

to kill the yeast in the dipes, use a touch of bleach, an extra hot wash, w/gse and reg vinegar in the rinse

go ahead and do sposies til the rash has cleared - i do that because i use gentian violet and it'll stain

i use tto, lo, & gse in my wipes solution - i find it especially healing for the end stage of yeast.

A PhD = + +
#24 of 71 Old 05-08-2010, 01:08 PM

I use homemade cloth wipes made from organic bamboo velour-- much softer than sposie wipes!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#25 of 71 Old 05-08-2010, 01:45 PM

We do both cloth and disposable wipes. I can't stand to wipe my toddler's poop with cloth. It seems like one more thing I'd have to rinse. I get Seventh Generation wipes, which are very mild, no yucky strong smells. I get them on Amazon with subscription, so that I don't spend a fortune on wipes. I put some California baby shampoo and coconut oil in my cloth wipes.

#26 of 71 Old 05-08-2010, 01:55 PM

so, do any of you who do cloth wipes use a wipe warmer? we have one and dh doesn't like it for disposable wipes, he says it makes them too wet. so i put cloth wipes in there... but they are starting to stink. i know ppl use wipe warmers for cloth, so what's the trick? should i add some tto or something? or just use them faster?

#27 of 71 Old 05-08-2010, 02:24 PM

I've heard of people using the wipes warmer just to hold their water/solution and keep it warm, then dip their wipes in it. We have a wipes warmer that we haven't plugged in yet, so I might try that myself!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#28 of 71 Old 05-08-2010, 02:25 PM

We were given a wipes warmer but then I realized it's for disposables only, and although we use about half and half right now, I just never got around to hooking it up and I think I"m just going to try to return it for credit (if I can ever make it to a wal mart). We're using a variety of homemade cloth wipes (from fleece and soft baby washcloths) with a solution I made and have in a spray bottle. It has a tiny amount of TTO, a splash of California Baby body wash, maybe a drop of GSE, and mostly water. We spray it on the wipe and then wipe the butt... sometimes she seems mad about the cold, so in theory a wipes warmer would be nice. But everything takes so much effort these days (just got the baby monitor hooked up after almost 3 weeks) that I don't know if it's worth it.
We have also been using disposable wipes because we were gifted a bunch, but I have been getting concerned about her red looking butt, so I bought some alchohol free Lansinoh soothing wipes that seem more gentle and have been using those about half the time. I diluted the homemade solution even more because I started thinking the TTO was making it too raw.
She is also really happy without a diaper or any pants on so I try to give her some time each day without pants or dipes, and at least a few minutes during each diaper change too. We have moved up to NB disposable size (preemie not fitting was very exciting to me!!) and are rapidly depleting our gifted stock of disposables... so I'm excited to try CDing in earnest, but also nervous about how much laundry we are already doing, getting the poop to wash clean, etc. I asked for a retractable clothesline for the yard for mother's day but don't think I'll get it.
Anyway, we have a bunch of prefolds (maybe 30 or more?) but I use at least 5 a day for my leaking boobs... on top of nursing pads. Hopefully that will even out soon!
We'll be using prefolds, snappis, and a variety of covers. I have some all in ones and fitted diapers too in various sizes but I have a feeling the others are just going to seem easier to me...
#29 of 71 Old 05-08-2010, 02:31 PM

All of her CDs and all of her clothes fit in one super-sized load, or maybe two medium loads. So I'm not seeing the laundry as being too big of an issue.

Anybody know if there is anything wrong with washing her clothes in the same load as her diapers?

#30 of 71 Old 05-08-2010, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace+Hope View Post
anyone else using knitted wool for covers? the two i have that are peace fleece are HOT, and it's in the high 70s here. to be fair, they are also ones a friend made since i was not able to knit for awhile and came up short on covers once he was born. i had not gauged the peace fleece, and just had her use the gauge from a lighter wool i think... so they are a tighter fabric than the others.
Total ddc here, but Cascade Eco and Treliske are great for summer knit soakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carita View Post
we've had yeast 2x - change uber often - that'll help

to kill the yeast in the dipes, use a touch of bleach, an extra hot wash, w/gse and reg vinegar in the rinse

go ahead and do sposies til the rash has cleared - i do that because i use gentian violet and it'll stain

i use tto, lo, & gse in my wipes solution - i find it especially healing for the end stage of yeast.
My third dc had massive yeast issues. TTO, GSE, and frequent washes with hot water and occasionally sunning the dipes helped and we didn't have problems after that.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page