Weekly thread, May 9-16 - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2010, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinderliter View Post

AFM: went to my 6 wk checkup at 5 wks and things have healed up great, need to do some crunches to help my abs go back together and maybe some kegals. cleared for sex!

i'm super tired though. i don't know whats up. stayed up late a few nights ago but i've done that before but this time around ugh. i slept from 9-8:30 last night (with various waking's of course) and i just took a 2 hr nap and i still feel like in 8 hrs i could sleep for another 10.

and ugh..babys awake...again.
Ugh, I don't think there's anyway I'm having sex anytime soon, and we're over 5 weeks out. I'm still stingy feeling down there (sting-y, not stingy... i'm feeling pretty generous, actually!). I'm a little concerned about how much it's going to hurt to put the IUD in on Thursday. Not so much the internal hurt, but the external hurt where I tore.

About you being tired- maybe you're getting quantity but not quality sleep? Like, maybe you're just never getting into a deep sleep. I know that's my problem, since the baby is asleep ON me.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 07:48 PM

GTG! So scary.

P+H - nope. You know what? Bugger on them. I'm writing to an administrator of the facility, saying that I and my family will be going to another local hospital for all our healthcare needs. It kinda feels petty because it's not like I know the lady's name or anything to have her reprimanded, but it's kinda the last straw with this place. I don't need to PAY them to continually treat their patients that way.

Re:sex
I am so ready but I KNOW my MW won't clear me at 3 weeks out.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:57 PM

gt - it maybe this is your sign to move & get outta there - scary!

jen - if a baby can learn to latch a bottle at 6 weeks, there's hope! maybe if you think its not working, try the nipple shield before giving up. you've done so awesome!

dd's latch is improving - lots of clicking still, but only at an engorged breast. i just dug out the pump, so i will start pumping a bit of the top.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
Old 05-15-2010, 09:40 PM

Thanks everyone. We're at the hotel again for tonight as my mom had left for the beach before finding out what happened. We filled out an application for the place we lived before so we're hoping that comes through. We called our landlord THREE times today to tell him the door was busted open and not secure. We put the fridge in front of it but if someone wanted to get in they could. No response from the guy...grrr. We did notice the cops drove by like four times Dh is a mess. He's really paranoid, and anxious as is ds (who almost had a seizure right after it all happened).

For those alone, we do live on the edge of a bad neighborhood so while we've been lucky we knew this could happen. It makes me sad as I really love our quaint artsy area. It sucks that some nasty people have to ruin it for the rest of us Our neighbor who has lived here for 31 years was so sad we were leaving. But I will never feel safe there again. Like I said I was so terrified that they were going to shot my husband.

The cop suggested we get a gun and that was like a sure sign to me that we just couldn't live in the area anymore. I know how to use a gun and I would shoot someone to protect my children but I don't want to live with that. I'd rather just live somewhere I don't have to worry about it.

Kids are okay now. DD1 threw up all over the back of the van from anxiety. DS was super anxious and DD2 had a few meltdowns but now they're feeling safe again. Poor Rowena is in serous need of some love. I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to just sit and love her. So now I"m typing with her snuggled up against me. Happy that we're all safe. I keep telling her she has the most amazing daddy.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:13 PM

For some reason Rhi thinks that I would not enjoy talking to myself over on the "island" thread, and encouraged me to come over here. I think she's right. I don't feel like I belong here yet, but I guess I'll have to suck it up unless I want to go join the girls over in the May or June threads!

I've read back a few posts and my heart goes out to all the mamas struggling with nursing and fussy babies. DS was a fussy baby who didn't seem to ever sleep and had trouble nursing from 3 days to about 2 weeks old. A lot of people attributed it to his size (born 11lbs 7 oz). We never really figured out what was wrong, but I didn't give up and something seemed to 'click' around 2 weeks and we happily nursed for another 2 1/2 years! I am interested to see how this baby will differ from his/her older brother. I hope this one is much more mellow than he was!

So yeah, I am still pregnant. Not gonna say ANYTHING about contractions or progress because anytime I do, I seem to jinx myself and they go away! I hope I don't end up UC'ing because I am too scared of making them stop to call the midwives in time!

GTG (every time I read that I see 'got to go' haha) that is so so scary! I know there are a lot of feminists here on mdc, but thank God for big strong husbands!!! I hope you guys are able to work something out with your current landlord (I used to be an apartment manager, and I would encourage you to read your lease very carefully to make sure you don't end up really getting screwed for breaking your lease). Hope you can move somewhere where you can sleep at night!

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
Old 05-15-2010, 10:40 PM

Does anyone else feel like with their babe they are constantly taking two steps forward and two steps back? Every time I find something she likes, she changes her mind within a few days... ugh. I know this is normal and will not change as we go through toddlerhood, etc. I found myself telling DH over and over today that it will get easier, it will get better, we will stop feeling so much like we're in a war... I don't know if he believed me .
Then we went to a baby shower where everyone cooed over our baby, and really their optimism and encouragement, etc., for us helped a lot. Which was great, cause we went into it feeling like the crabbiest old anti baby grouches (sleep was terrible last night)... I want to tell everyone I know "use protection" sometimes!
Now though? She's wearing an adorable jumper suit that finally fits her. She spent some time being really cute and quietly alert (we don't get a lot of that except maybe in the mornings). I'm putting her in the moby so I can make banana bread. DH is more patient and loving with her than he was earlier. So I am feeling optimistic again.
She's 4 weeks tomorrow and I am trying to enjoy her infancy but also REALLY looking forward to a 6 week marker, hoping our BFing issues get sorted even more and so on. My supply sometimes seems more even (I started on sage yesterday) but then this morning I was totally engorged and had to pump before feeding her... got like 4 ounces in 5 minutes, which I know sounds great. But is not so hot when it makes the baby choke and spit up and get painful gas.
My 6 week midwife appointment was yesterday (4 weeks since she's going out of town) and I am almost all healed and, surprisingly, cleared for sex in another week or two! Which is huge, since I had to have surgery after delivery. She did find that I have a yeast infection, which tells you where I am at with feeling with it enough to be checked in with my body these days I thought it was just from healing stitches.
Also, the babe has gained almost 3 pounds in a month, and I have lost almost 30! I realize a lot of this was water and the baby, placenta, etc. But I gained 60 total so I am hoping I can lose the rest in the next 4-6 months or so... not really up for working out yet but apparently sleep deprivation, being too tired and busy to eat as often as I should, and stress are a good diet. I hope that we get more energy for big walks and things soon.

Maybe it's two steps forward, only one step back
Hope everyone gets some peace and optimism this weekend (myself included!).
Old 05-15-2010, 10:43 PM

i'm not sure about other states or even exactly this one but when i was the victim of DV i was ALLOWED to break my lease within 30 days because i was the victim in that property. they were allowed to keep my deposit but they couldn't say anything bad about me or hold me reliable for the rest of the rent etc. i am not sure about if you aren't prosecuting someone (but do have a police report) but if you call the court ask if they have some victim asistence program or something similar (we have victim witness for dv) and they might have ways you can protect yourself.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
Does anyone else feel like with their babe they are constantly taking two steps forward and two steps back? Every time I find something she likes, she changes her mind within a few days... ugh. I know this is normal and will not change as we go through toddlerhood, etc.
As they get older, though, they don't change as fast. Your coping techniques last a lot longer -- but then it's harder to notice that they're a different kid, and that's why what worked for months doesn't work anymore. (Says the parent who's just starting to notice that her newly-3 year old daughter isn't responding to the same old same old).

At just a few weeks old, though, things are changing nearly daily. You can't rotate shield frequencies fast enough!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 05-16-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
As they get older, though, they don't change as fast. Your coping techniques last a lot longer -- but then it's harder to notice that they're a different kid, and that's why what worked for months doesn't work anymore. (Says the parent who's just starting to notice that her newly-3 year old daughter isn't responding to the same old same old).

At just a few weeks old, though, things are changing nearly daily. You can't rotate shield frequencies fast enough!
Ha ha, nice! I don't get trekkie jokes, but I do know that this kid better start letting her parents watch Battlestar Galactica in the evenings without screaming through it or we're gonna lose it
I will pass that along to DH - things are feeling better this morning. I think (god I hope I'm not jinxing it!) some of my oversupply issues are being helped with the sage tincture!! I can't express how excited I am, the last 15 or so hours have been great. Mostly happy evening baby (yes some fussiness, but more cute quiet alert than before, and usually we could figure out what she needed when she cried!!), easier to put her to bed, she slept in her own crib in her own room and I got up twice to nurse with longer periods in between! I honestly could've slept from about 10pm till about 8am (plus an hour up two times to feed her and burp her and put her back down) if I hadn't spent the period between 10-11 listening for her to wake up, and from 6am the same. I just couldn't believe she was going to keep sleeping after 6am with no extended period of wakefulness!! I heard all of this chatter but she never started crying!!
I feel like we may have turned a little corner - I hope! - and even if it's just a temporary reprieve, I had a happy, smiling month old (!! already?!) today cooing and talking to herself next to me. It's a totally different feeling from most of the past few weeks
PHEW!!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Would anyone like a 3 year old? I'll cut you a really good deal....

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 05-16-2010, 06:10 PM

i'll throw in the GET ONE FREE with that deal plus a backseat driver!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:30 PM

Happy news: I just saw my friend that I posted about upthread today! She got a new LC who worked really hard with them, and now baby is nursing and she just messaged me a half hour ago that her milk came in and baby is doing awesome at nursing with her milk in!

Here's a question for you researchy mamas - when my friend's water broke, there was meconium in the water, so that's why they did the c-section. HOWEVER, baby never aspirated any meconium. I'm wondering if the c-sec is standard in that case? Is it common for a baby in distress to have no aspiration issues if water broke with meconium in it, and it took another few hours to get her into the OR?

Anyways, I delivered a c-sec care package for her - pretty granny panties and a nursing caddy with a burp cloth, some snacks, and some drinks (and chocolate, of course). She looks amazing and might come home tomorrow (after only 3 days!) because she's recovering so well and baby is nursing so well.

And Nomi is 3 weeks old today! I'm so amazed at how the time has flown.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

See if you can find the problem with this plan that I overlooked.

Take the 3 year old who has not yet completely recovered from her cold and the 6 week old to Disney World in 90+ degree weather on a weekend for the last day of a big festival while DH sleeps at home.

Now, I did have my mom along for most of it. But DD was great while she was around, and an absolute terror when she wasn't. DS slept through most of it (hanging out in the Beco), but contributed his own share of grief during the car rides (which he still hates).

Remind me not to do that again.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:59 PM

I love breastfeeding, yes I do. But I'm feeling a bit tied down and touched out at times. I find myself anxious to start pumping so I can get the occasional break. I know that before I know it she won't be eating constantly and I won't feel like this

It doesn't help that I still have thrush and it actually feels worse since I did 3 days og gentian violet. At least it doesn't really hurt when I nurse, just in between. Seeing my midwife tomorrow.

I can't wait for the evening crying to be done with. Anna is an awesome, fairly easy baby, but the crying is so draining.

5 wks old today! Oh and the lochia surged back up again today. My mom left today after a week visit and I'll miss the help with babe.

I never thought I'd say this, but I LOVE having my body back. I did the big wardrobe change over this weekend and some of it is too big! It feels so good after dealing with fluctuating sizes over 4 years and 5 pregnancies/4 miscarriages.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:13 AM

nak

sara, there was mec in my water and all it meant for me was continuous EFM.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:51 AM

sew_crafty, interesting. I thought as much. Thanks.

I finally wrote out Nomi's birth story! My HBAC.

User Tag List