Replacing a feed with a bottle... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-19-2010, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, my guy is 3 1/2 weeks old. We introduced the bottle (pumped breastmilk) over the weekend. Our ped suggested starting now so he gets used to it and also suggested having my husband give it to him.

I thought we could use it as a way for me to get a 4hr stretch of sleep. The plan was for me to feed him, go to bed at 7/8ish, husband feeds him at 9:30, then I can sleep until 12.

We've tried twice with the same disasterous results. My husband ends up feeding and soothing a ridiculously cranky baby for 2hrs until he gives up and wakes me up. He's upset because he wants to help me sleep and can't seem to soothe his son. I don't mind being woken up, though I WOULD love it if this plan would work. He seems to accept the bottle as a food source but won't be soothed by anything other than the boob.

I want him to learn to take the bottle so I can go out once in awhile, but this just isn't working. I don't know what to do. It seems pointless for me to feed him with the bottle, but if I don't, how else will he get his 1 bottlefeed/day that the ped recommended?

Any thoughts?

Aurora , happy wife to C., mama to 3 : and , lost 12/08 & our 4/24/10
#2 of 6 Old 05-19-2010, 09:54 AM

Would switching that feed to the morning work? Like if your DH gets up with the baby at 6 or whenever and gives him a bottle while you sleep in? Evenings aren't always a happy time of day for babies.

We are going to introduce a bottle around 3 weeks too. DD1 never took one and holy cow I hope DD2 will like the bottle ok.
#3 of 6 Old 05-19-2010, 10:06 AM

i have found that just a couple bottles/week get them used to it enough that they'll take the bottle. i work a couple nights a week fall-spring and have started micah on a bottle now (cuz with ds1 i waited too long to introduce it )...but just 2-3 times/week. he does alright with it. but i did have to switch nipples--he seems to like the ortho NUKs better than what i had.

i was going to say the same as pp... maybe he'll take it better in the morning?? but that doesn't help with your getting extra sleep. maybe if he gets used to the bottle at a time when he's generally content, then you can try your plan again once he's really used to the bottle.

i feed him the bottle when dh isn't around...seems funny when my breasts are full but i need him to be used to taking it for the fall when i'm working.

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#4 of 6 Old 05-19-2010, 10:20 AM

DDCC - Is there a reason your doc is wanting a bottle feed a day? If it's not working yet, you don't *have* to do it. Give it another week and try again. He might just not be ready, 3 1/2 weeks is still kinda young.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#5 of 6 Old 05-19-2010, 11:26 AM

We start doing the occasional bottle at one week b/c there is a learning curve for babies & b/c I am pumping extra milk every day anyway. I, too, like to sometimes step out by myself & not have to worry that baby will be screaming in hunger for Daddy when I'm 1/2 hour away or something.

ITA w/ pp's that during the night might not be the easiest time for you lo. During the night is when I have the hardest time feeding dd2. IDK why, maybe b/c she goes longer between feedings, so I'm fuller, but whatever the reason, that is how it is for us. Try another time of the day & if your lo will take a binkie, have that on hand, too. I have found that babies who are used to the breast "need" extra sucking even when they are done eating & really enjoy the bink after finishing the bottle.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#6 of 6 Old 05-20-2010, 12:02 PM

i say do it in the morning - try a diff bottle/nipple system and once you get it down, then try nights.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page