Update on my boring life :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-20-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi folks! I have been so busy, I barely have time to keep up on Facebook. Sorry I haven't checked in on here.

Lirum is doing fantastic, she has gained 3 1/2 lbs over her birthweight in her short 9 weeks... She is a chunker! We will be getting her tied tongue fixed Monday, not looking forward to that!

I am doing well. Physically, I am completely healed from the cesarean, emotionally, I had a bit of a setback when I got the surgical report and it showed that her placenta was nearly completely detached... scary! I am working to become a La Leche League Leader and eventually a IBCLC.

Alex, my 3 year old, is having quite a time... As expected, some days he loves his sister, some days he wants nothing to do with her! He has become very good at letting us know when he needs his cup filled.

My husband is starting to get more used to having 2 kids... not an easy thing when he has to deal with his back, my seizures, and 2 kids... takes its toll! He has been amazing at helping me to get more sleep at night, taking Lirum when she needs burping after EVERY FEED. THANK GOD for co-sleeping! Lirum is good at doing the "breast crawl" and getting latched on while I am 90% asleep, just awake enough to help her get a good latch with her tied tongue so she doesn't get TOO much air for Shawn to burp out. Most nights, Alex falls asleep in his bed or on the couch now... and will come in to sleep with us halfway through the night.

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
#2 of 7 Old 05-20-2010, 05:20 PM

Sprout had tongue tie, too! Is Lirum's an anterior tie or posterior? What kind of breastfeeding issues is it causing you?

Sprout's tie was small, tight, and in a weird place. Multiple medical professionals couldn't see it (an LC, 2 oral-motor therapists, and an ENT) until I finally found an LC who could feel it and then a pediatric ENT who saw and clipped it.

The clipping wasn't too bad. They papoosed him to a board, looked in, snipped it, and applied pressure for a minute or so. He screamed through the whole thing, of course, but it was only a few minutes. Then they unwrapped him and I nursed him immediately. He finished nursing, I changed his diaper, and by then he was smiling at me again.

With the tie, Sprout was dropping his latch at least every 2-5 sucks. After the clipping he has a lot more tongue mobility, is a lot more verbal, and can get at most 5-8 sucks in a row. But, at a week and a half out from the clipping, it's still rough. I saw an LC today who gave me some exercises to hopefully retrain Sprout to stick his tongue out enough. I don't know if we'll ever have a normal nursing relationship.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#3 of 7 Old 05-20-2010, 05:29 PM

Hey, thanks for the update, glad you guys are doing well! My three-year-old is getting in with us most night too, early morning. He never falls asleep in his bed though, usually, either on the floor or in daddy's lap, and then we put him in there. It has been working OK, even if I do feel a little crowded some nights.

Lena , wife to best friend Joe , mommy to my two sweetie pies, DS1 born 7.7.07 and DS2 just arrived 4.17.10
#4 of 7 Old 05-20-2010, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

She has both a classic anterior tongue-tie and a labial tongue tie... so her frenulum comes all the way to the tip of her tongue and her top lip is also tied to her gums.

This causes latch problems, she clicks while nursing, no matter how hard we try. She takes in lots of air because she can't stick her tongue out far enough to get a perfect seal. It also creates a lot of friction on my nipples, so they are itchy and sore. But no tears or visible cuts or cracks or anything... thank goodness.

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
#5 of 7 Old 05-20-2010, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a picture of my little sweet Lirum

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/...4f347ddee2.jpg

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
#6 of 7 Old 05-20-2010, 08:14 PM

I'll be really curious to hear how things go after the clipping!

Good luck to you and Lirum!!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#7 of 7 Old 05-20-2010, 09:08 PM

Hey, boring is good!

Thanks for the update! Lirum is gorgeous. She looks like a happy girl!

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page