Weekly thread, May 23-30 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 135 Old 05-23-2010, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I'm up early before the kids so I have time to start a new thread. I'm trying to cut my internet time back to evenings so that DD doesn't see me on as much.... we'll see how long it sticks.

Up early because Sprout had a rough night from about 4am on. Still not terrible, but rough for him. Lots of gas and straining to poop.

I'm keeping an extra-careful and close watch on the poop situation because I saw a few warning signs yesterday. It's been totally yellow and normal, but he had some green stool one change, then next diaper change there was a lot of mucous. DD got really mucousy when she got a dairy exposure, and I'm super-sensitive about that. Up to now we've had no signs that DS might have a similar reaction, and I didn't eat anything new or different. So it would be weird for him to start reacting to something existing here at 7 weeks.

So no lifestyle changes yet.... just gotta keep an eye on things.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 135 Old 05-23-2010, 11:15 AM

We had our first and only baby shower yesterday. We put "no gifts" on the invitation, but some people still brought us gift cards and diapers It was fun. Lots of people brought little gifts for DD, which meant a lot to me.

Ds is so much more aware! He's having periods where he will be happy for 5 minutes at a time sitting (propped) on his own, which is great. He grinned and grinned at me singing along with Kate Rusby this morning

his poop has been very liquid (but not mucousy or green, thank goodness) and this morning was the first time it has been the slightly thicker texture I remember from DD. I hope that means his digestive system is maturing. I love this newborn period, but I'm looking forward to the 12 week gut maturity or whatever that improvement is called.

LNF-- I am so glad you and Mercy are free from the NICU and that you're making muffins. You seem like such a strong,good-humored, resilient person

I made the mistake last night of reading through a blog of a friend of a friend whose first child died in utero (at 38 weeks) on the day that DS was born. Oh my goodness. It was so sad, and they seem like such good people. I'm overwhelmed by how thankful I should be for my two beautiful, healthy children. I don't deserve all of these good things in my life, but I am so, so grateful.

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
#3 of 135 Old 05-23-2010, 12:45 PM

I think we're seeing some improvement with the Zantac. She still screamed until 1 am last night, but she didn't start screaming until 11:00. That's quite the improvement! She may have actually done better if I hadn't tried to put her in the crib. Evil, evil mommy.

She's also starting to take it without spitting it all back out, though she still sputters at me like I'm a mean monster.

I ate a fair amount of dairy yesterday to see what happened, and I couldn't tell any difference. Though since I just started the Zantac it wasn't a very scientific experiment. Too many variables. But I'm not going to give up dairy if it doesn't make any difference anyhow! I love dairy too much!

And I want to do an elimination diet, but I honestly don't think I'm capable of it. The things you eliminate for that are basically the staples of my diet. Ugh. But at the same time I don't want to have a baby in pain if I don't have to. Ugh ugh ugh. But seriously... my whole diet would be completely turned upside down. I don't know wtf I would eat. I don't love vegetables or meats that much! If I'm going to eat veggies (other than corn/lima beans/peas/etc) or meat, I'm going to have wheat and/or cheese with it! My diet mostly consists of whole grain carbs and dairy. Ugh again.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#4 of 135 Old 05-23-2010, 02:19 PM

Rhi, I hope the Zantac is working! I totally feel you about the elimination diet - I never knew where to start. Maybe your LC can give you a list of exactly what to eat? At my lactation support group the other day, I swear that there was a mom who said she was only currently eating lamb, rice and pears since her son had colitis - but I really hope I misheard!

We are doing great again here today. I really do think we have an easy baby, but the "high need" part comes from my and DH's attitudes. When we are overwhelmed or just want time to ourselves (used to being so independent, even of each other!) it is a zillion times harder to deal with the crying one. When we are well rested and have a "what a cute happy baby" attitude, then the crying isn't like being stabbed.
So I'm working on perspective. And letting go of my "made it to 31 years old with no children" selfishness - it's just a huge change.
But we do tend to feel kinda frustrated when we talk to people about having an infant. Yesterday at a friend's wedding we were SO tired and dealing with a windy, outdoor wedding and tiny baby who was probably even more overstimulated than us, and when people asked us how we were doing we were always too honest. "Pretty good, we love her but it's really, really hard, I don't know how anyone does it sometimes". Clearly they just wanted us to go "it's great! Isn't she cute?!!". I just have to remember that the hormones make you forget the tough times so those with toddlers running around were probably envious of our tiny, deceptively-easy looking babe

I don't know that I should even be allowed to complain seeing as how S slept for 6 straight hours! In her crib!
Definitely an easy baby, difficult mama is working on keeping her cool.

Jenfl, we had green foamy watery poops when we were struggling with oversupply and foremilk imbalance... do you think Sprout's adjusting to actually being able to latch and is getting more of that watery foremilk? Just a thought. I'd hate having to cut out dairy, etc., so I hope you find out an easy solution!

We are in good farting and pooping territory - she gets all redfaced and screamy and grunty when she has to go, but it's always right after a feed, and she can actually do it within a few minutes usually, so I just cheerlead her on when she poops. I think she's learning how to poop and gets frustrated that she can't do it easier. I see the same thing with wanting to control her arms/ legs/ hands/ feet, she's starting to get that it is possible but doesn't yet have the muscle control.

DH told me that yesterday when he got up with her, he yawned, and she was watching him and "caught" his yawn! Just like a grown up! So funny

Hope everyone has a good Sunday. We have had some rough situations in this DDC, glad everyone made it off the island in one piece! (or, I guess two - the baby being the second piece)
#5 of 135 Old 05-23-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaterPrimaePuellae View Post
LNF-- I am so glad you and Mercy are free from the NICU and that you're making muffins.
YES. Keep makin' those muffins mama I'm praying you are overwhelmed with support & love from those able IRL Make sure you go buy those muffins when you need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaterPrimaePuellae View Post
I made the mistake last night of reading through a blog of a friend of a friend whose first child died in utero (at 38 weeks) on the day that DS was born. Oh my goodness. It was so sad, and they seem like such good people. I'm overwhelmed by how thankful I should be for my two beautiful, healthy children. I don't deserve all of these good things in my life, but I am so, so grateful.
Oh dear... that is terrible. As much as I vent about the struggles of this time, I am so incredibly thankful for it! I can't IMAGINE going through something like that... my girls are so, so special to me. I've felt like such a bad mama because I that gratitude gets overwhelmed by inpatience so often

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
Well, I'm up early before the kids so I have time to start a new thread. I'm trying to cut my internet time back to evenings so that DD doesn't see me on as much.... we'll see how long it sticks.

Up early because Sprout had a rough night from about 4am on. Still not terrible, but rough for him. Lots of gas and straining to poop.
Thank you for keeping this thread going! I'm so grateful to be able to keep up with you all now since we survived the 6 week insanity.

K was up all throughout the night & I had to get up with her at 4am too. She is SO congested she can hardly breathe & gasps for air! I swear this kid would not survive if we weren't cosleeping. I ended up sitting in the bathroom with the shower/eucalyptes going. Finally huge globs of snot started comming out. The problem when she's congested is that the aspirator doesn't reach her sinuses. I'm starting to wonder if she has sinusitis going on or something

So many questions with babies. 3+ year olds are awesome. They can tell you exactly what hurts & what's going on. Of course, then they can spend the next hour asking you "Why," but yeah. No mysteries.

Older kids are also great, because my dear 4 year old got up & played by herself for an hour while I slept in. She didn't even wake her baby sister up (which she does only with the intention to snuggle her, by the way... sooooo sweet! She ADORES her baby sister!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
Too many variables. But I'm not going to give up dairy if it doesn't make any difference anyhow! I love dairy too much!

And I want to do an elimination diet, but I honestly don't think I'm capable of it. The things you eliminate for that are basically the staples of my diet. Ugh. But at the same time I don't want to have a baby in pain if I don't have to. Ugh ugh ugh. But seriously... my whole diet would be completely turned upside down. I don't know wtf I would eat. I don't love vegetables or meats that much! If I'm going to eat veggies (other than corn/lima beans/peas/etc) or meat, I'm going to have wheat and/or cheese with it! My diet mostly consists of whole grain carbs and dairy. Ugh again.

I KNOW what you mean about too many variables and eating mostly carbs & dairy (I'd go through the big things of yogurt from Costco in a week! SO convenient!). I didn't even consider elliminations until after 6 weeks had passed & even then I started with just wheat & dairy, which helped until I ate soy I'm not just doing it for the "reflux" - that seems like a pretty normal occurance since their little bellies aren't working yet. K actually vomits (like VOMITS), breaks out in both hives & rashes & recently swole up like a balloon.

Ellimination sucks & the more it goes on the more I elliminate & the more I feel deprived & want a freaking peanutbutter cookie (SO bad!!!). The combination is especially gnarly - no wheat AND no eggs AND no soy/legumes AND no dairy. Usually one of the substitutions is used for another (like soy in lieu of eggs or dairy), KWIM? Suckage.

Honestly, though, I am praying this is a food allergy, opposed to an environmental allergy like mold (helloooo Pacific Northwest!) or dogs (helloooo Newfoundland). At least a food allergy is controllable & something she'll most likely grow out of. Yes, the dog is controllable, but she's family too.

Appointment with the Allergist at Children's tomorrow... thank goodness! Afterwards I'm thinking I need to take her in to the ped for this congestion & make sure it's not something like a deviated septum or something. It's really bad! This kid woke up unable to breathe SEVERAL times! Heartattacks!

If anyone has suggestions for congestion in the mean time they are SO welcome!!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#6 of 135 Old 05-23-2010, 02:30 PM

L caught one of my yawns the other day! too cute

#7 of 135 Old 05-23-2010, 03:09 PM

You can use saline spray on the baby to loosen up some of that snot. Sit her upright and squirt it up there, one nostril at a time, giving a good three minutes or so in between. Or lie her on her side, and do the top nostril, like a neti pot. The trouble with babies and congestion is that they're exclusive nose breathers, so they don't think to open their mouths and breathe. Besides, when they tried to eat that wouldn't work anyway.

DD had a cold with thick snot for the first two weeks, and I told people that listening to her try to breathe was the only reason I wasn't getting any sleep. I can nurse in my sleep, but my baby not breathing? Wakey wakey. I also did the steam room three times a day when DS had a cold.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#8 of 135 Old 05-23-2010, 03:25 PM

i don't think my baby actually *likes* me. sure i'm the source of food and he knows i am safe and familier but as far as likeing me i don't think so. he smiles at everyone else, likes to see them and is happy to be with them but when i try to "play" with him he usually cries, or fusses or just plain don't care. :cry
#9 of 135 Old 05-23-2010, 03:39 PM

LNF I am worried about you too. You have an amazing attitude and are handling everything really really well, and you are a strong, resilient woman, but you have been through so much with this pg. Do take care of yourself and give yourself time to grieve and heal. One thing that helped me after my last birth was a good EFA supplement - it really helped my moods stabilize and helped me think more clearly.

While I know you feel very fortunate that Mercy came through her ordeal unscathed, those feelings only go so far. I am sure I have mentioned this before, but dd1 was born with severe meconium aspiration, and we spent three weeks in the hospital with her, after which we brought home a completely healthy baby. We were told over and over how "lucky" we were that she had lived in the first place and that she ended up with no long term issues. I knew I should feel fortunate, but just couldn't get there. As dh finally put it, it was like being mugged and beaten and being told we were lucky that we weren't killed too. It took me a couple of years to really process everything.

Jess Glad things seem to be getting better. I would just second all the great advice you got on last week's thread. And no, what you are dealing with is not the average baby - we had one very high needs, clingy baby in dd1 and I felt exactly like you a lot of the time. Esp. when I couldn't even put her down to go to the effign bathroom without screaming. But it DOES get better. And, fwiw, dd2 was almost a polar opposite - slept three hours at a stretch from day 1, didn't cry unless she was actually hungry/wet/in pain, was ok for periods on her own in the bouncy seat, took a paci, etc. I didn't know what to do with myself.

Carley Going from one to two was a HUGE learning curve for me. I think it took me about nine months to really get the hang of it. Until then we were late everywhere and the house was a disaster. Of course, compared to NOW, the house was sparkling and things ran like clockwork. But it does work itself out eventually. Honestly, though, I would go ahead and hire the cleaning people. I have a couple who comes twice a month - it forces me to get the house somewhat straightened up, and, as dh pointed out, even if there is clutter and they can't clean as completely as I would like, it is still better than not having it cleaned at all. They are based in Renton, btw, and do a lot of work in Seattle - pm me if you want their contact info - they are an incredibly sweet couple and are pretty reasonable, less than the services I priced.

And yeah, I actually called one of my friends the other day and asked her if CPS still frowns on locking your kids in the dog crate. Ours is pretty roomy, but apparently that doesn't make a difference.

Snoopy I have a non-stop talker too. I have even offered to pay for five minutes of silence. Doesn't work. And now that dd2 is talking, I get it in stereo. Yipes. After Maya and Hannah were born, my OB was telling me how his mom was unable to bf his youngest brother because he and the middle brother were creating such a commotion every minute in the house. I felt for the woman but thought, "eh, won't happen to me, my kids are easy." Bwahahahaha. About three days later, sitting on the sofa trying to nurse with two kids yelling and crawling all over me, I had a flash of understanding for just what that poor woman had gone through.

afm Well, I am caught up with work, after spending yesterday working - since I spent Friday in the ER with dd2. Sigh. Dh was getting cranky with me toward the end of the day, even though I TOLD him I needed the full day to work and he had agreed on Friday that would be ok. Apparently he didn't believe me. He took the kids to the library for about an hour and I guess I was supposed to wrap it up then. When they came back and I was griping about constant interruptions and noise (which were going on because he was ignoring the kids and trying to do his own thing upstairs) he snapped, "well, what the hell did you do while we were gone?" Uh, excuse me. I worked to put FOOD on our EFFING TABLE. And I had to get it done yesterday because he had already put dibs on all day today for school work. Complaining all the while about how burned out he is - I am supposed to feel sorry for him, I guess? Honestly, I wish wish wish I could trade bodies with him for a week so he could have some idea what my life is really like. Ok, rant over.

Other than that, yesterday was ok. Ellen seems to be on the mend - she is still sleeping a lot, but is eating and drinking fairly well again, and her moods have improved, thank goodness. Hoping the antibiotic kicks in soon and her ears feel better. Poor kid. And I actually managed to wrap up my work in time to sneak out and get my hair cut! It feels so good to have all the crappy split ends and friz off my head!

Ok, off to take the kids shopping for dh's birthday present and dinner. His birthday is tomorrow but we are celebrating today as he has class tomorrow night. Dd1 has decided she wants to get him a rubber frog for his birthday. We'll have to talk.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#10 of 135 Old 05-23-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
LNF I am worried about you too. You have an amazing attitude and are handling everything really really well, and you are a strong, resilient woman, but you have been through so much with this pg. Do take care of yourself and give yourself time to grieve and heal. One thing that helped me after my last birth was a good EFA supplement - it really helped my moods stabilize and helped me think more clearly.

While I know you feel very fortunate that Mercy came through her ordeal unscathed, those feelings only go so far. I am sure I have mentioned this before, but dd1 was born with severe meconium aspiration, and we spent three weeks in the hospital with her, after which we brought home a completely healthy baby. We were told over and over how "lucky" we were that she had lived in the first place and that she ended up with no long term issues. I knew I should feel fortunate, but just couldn't get there. As dh finally put it, it was like being mugged and beaten and being told we were lucky that we weren't killed too. It took me a couple of years to really process everything.
Thanks, Dena. As weird as this might sound, I wasn't actually scared for Mercy through the whole time once she got out. The labor scared me because I knew it was too intense and this is the first birth where I did tell my husband we needed to go to the hospital, but for whatever reason I had a gut feeling that she was going to be fine as soon as I saw her on the outside. Just one of those mom intuition things where you know that things are going to be ok. I just knew that I needed to stay with her and love her as hard as I could, and that it would be enough and she would be fine. That's what I did, and I am proud of myself and grateful to my midwife for helping me through transition in a NICU environment instead of transition during labor. I don't have a lot of gratitude for the other medical personnel even though the care they rendered kept Mercy alive, with a few exceptions and I plan on writing letters praising them in the next couple of weeks.

It was absolutely the medical stuff after the fact that has left me feeling like I've been hit by a train. I'm shocked at how dumb someone can be and have medical authority over you and your child. I mean, I expected differences of values, but not reek stupidity and statements that did not make any logical sense, like treating a baby for a length of time that would only be necessary if she had meningitis but not at a dose of medication that would be effective against meningitis. I expected that reasonable, intelligent people work together when they have different value systems so that they come to plans that everyone can be ok with. I did not expect a patronizing "it's obvious that you're very intelligent, and your argument is persuasive. I'd be really happy to hear it from one of the residents that I teach." and then get completely blown off and then screamed at for asking for a consult with a different doctor so that I could at least understand why we needed that length of treatment for my daughter's condition.

I am grateful to God, and to my midwife. And I'm proud of how I handled things, and how my husband handled things. This whole situation has allowed me to see how well my husband and I know eachother and love eachother. I'm just becoming very tired of my life being essentially a very long bull-riding stint. The best I can hope to do sometimes is to hold on and go with the intense ups and downs. But life needs to be more than that, too. I need to remember how to laugh to a certain degree.

My husband and my midwife are both watching me closely (at my request) for signs of PPD. I did decide to start SJW today because the risks are minimal and I'd rather have a jump on anything before it would start to get serious. There is still a lot of processing and thinking for me to do, but what is sticking out to me like a sore thumb is how much better equipped I was to deal with this situation than a lot of parents out there, and how maybe something I should look into down the line is patient advocacy specifically involving pregnancy and parenting issues.

So, we'll see. And thank you to everyone for worrying about me and caring about how we're doing. I can't express how much it has meant to me.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#11 of 135 Old 05-23-2010, 05:41 PM

Oh, wow, yes! LNF, having you as a patient advocate would have been my DREAM when I was in the NICU with dd1! For that matter, it would have been a huge blessing on Friday when I was in the ER with dd2 and the dumb doc wanted to do a spinal tap for meningitis because dd2 was lethargic and had an ear infection (but mostly because she wasn't vaccinated). I hope you can look into this in the future.

And yes, the rank stupidity of many doctors continues to amaze me. Actually, I don't think it is stupidity as much as utter narrow mindedness. I actually had an ob I interviewed for dd2 tell me it was too bad dd1 wasn't born in a hospital because if she had been the nurse would have been suctioning her and giving her oxygen and she wouldn't have been as sick. His jaw literally dropped when I explained to him that our midwife had done all that - blow by o2, delay suction and all. Needless to say, that was not the OB I hired. I hired the one who told me he thought my home birth was wonderful - and meant it. Which goes to show there are some decent edcuated docs out there.

I'm glad you have people watching out for you. I am praying for peace and continued strength, and that soon this whole experience is nothing more than a dim memory.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#12 of 135 Old 05-23-2010, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

MPP -- We're also having more enjoyable awake time. DS does this adorable "ha ha" faux-laugh when he's having fun that's just a hoot.

rhi -- on the Zantac!

Jess -- lamb, rice, and pears is right. I went on a total elimination diet for DD and ate just turkey, rice, pears, and zucchini for a week or two. Breakfast was puffed rice cereal in rice milk sweetened with brown rice syrup. Seriously.

Danielle -- s I hope you get fun playtime with your LO soon!

So today it was just DD, DS, and me awake in the house while DH slept (weekend night shift worker). DS was waking up too often during his co-sleeper naps, so I was in the bedroom trying to nurse him back down while DD was out in the living area.

She discovered her bank and started shaking it to get the coins out. LOUD LOUD LOUD!! I scooped up DS, rushed out, and got her to quiet down.

It wasn't until I was kneeling down next to DD, holding the bank in one hand that I realized that I had DS in the other arm -- STILL LATCHED ON. And sound asleep.

He's still slipping off while nursing, but it seems that he can stay on when he isn't really actively nursing -- i.e., when he's falling asleep while nursing. Maybe it's a good step....

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#13 of 135 Old 05-23-2010, 10:42 PM

One to two was a learning curve but if it helps anyone with two, going from two to three was worst:P I called my mom at one point in tears sobbing that I couldn't do it. Everyone I know who has three has said the same thing. Adding Rowen hasn't been bad at all but there's that five year age difference but again everyone I know with four say it isn't as bad.

JenF: That's cool about the latch and sounds promising to me. Rowena still can't do that.

LNF: Thinking of you.

AFM: We've moved most of our stuff into the new place. I think I deserve an award because despite all the offers for help no one came through (one friend did and thankfully helped dh move our stuff to the second floor apartment). End result was that one point I was wearing Rowena and moving furniture from the house to the moving van. I hurt really bad though, and could feel my joints just not dealing well with the lifting. Normally I have no problems at all but I think I'm just so loose from birth and pregnancy.

Rowena is doing great. She's up a lot more, and loves sitting on my lap staring out at all the action. She can hold her head up already! She's smiling a bit but not a huge lot (only five weeks old so I'm not expecting much in that area). She found her thumb and is so cute sucking on it with her other finger wrapped around her little nose. I love it. I'm really looking forward to being able to just hang out and chill with her.

Other kids are doing good. Ds is much more relaxed at the new place. He was so tense and anxious at the house. DD2 is going through some issues. She's baby talking and sitting her our laps like a baby (feels really funny going from a baby to a five year old). She's also having a lot of meltdowns which is disappointing. Five is normally an age I love because the meltdowns usually are few and far between but I think jealously has kicked in so we're having some insecurity issues.

My mom is still separated from emotionally abusive husband! She got an apartment where we are staying so that's been a big motivator for her to not go back. My kids are thrilled to have her so close and since she's a private person she won't bug us a lot but will help out a great deal with the kids.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

#14 of 135 Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 PM

okay, i was wrong about the milk, i think. i've had a super fussy baby today. i guess dairy is out. *sigh* i love dairy

#15 of 135 Old 05-24-2010, 12:24 AM

rhi, I am a total dairy addict, and went on a TED for my son - found out that it was dairy and all nuts and cherries that gave him the worst reactions. Here are my tips for you: find yourself a supply of goat's milk and load up on the feta (real feta is goat's milk, so make sure to get the good stuff). I found that the TED was easier for me than just an ED because it told me what to eat - I had a hard time imagining life without dairy or soy. PM me if you have any questions or just want to whine. I totally get you - and remember that it's temporary!!! Just get through a day at a time.

LNF . Doctors terrify me for exactly those reasons.

ETA: Ooh, and I'm all fired up about the Better Homes and Gardens SNAFU. But of course, this is the company that owns "American Baby" and "Parenting" Magazines, soooo what do we expect?

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#16 of 135 Old 05-24-2010, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh. Made the mistake of speaking Sprout's nighttime schedule out loud and thus ruined it. Rough night last night. He seems to be having all kinds of trouble pooping, and did it multiple times -- when he usually doesn't poop at all at night. We were up from midnight to 2, then again at 4, 5, 6, etc. And I can't let him sleep late (if he even would) because he needs his Zantac between 7 and 8. I sense a zombie day coming up for me....

rhi -- if you can do soy, there's easy substitutions for most everything but cheese. Skip soy cheese -- no matter how much the package claims otherwise, it's nothing like real cheese. I have a good faux-ricotta recipe that I used to use on pizza; PM me if you want it.

#17 of 135 Old 05-24-2010, 08:22 AM

Ginger, I've done a move with a newborn before, and you DEFINITELY deserve a medal. And I'm so glad your mom is still separated from her husband!

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#18 of 135 Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 AM

Sme, I had not heard about that BHG things. Ugh. The whole article is bad, but the breastfeeding at the table part is ridiculous. I'm almost-- almost-- looking forward to the first time someone tells me in person to take my breastfeeding elsewhere.

Saturday at TJMaxx I had DS in his sling and he was nursing very discreetly. A sweet older lady walked by and said, "Oh, a baby, how precious!" She leaned in to look at him more closely and then stepped back and said, with her hand over her heart, "Dear Jesus! He's nursing!" As shocked as she clearly was, she said it was sweet.

During the same shopping trip, a woman my mom's age came up and asked if I was sure my baby could breathe in the sling I smiled pleasantly but said very slowly and firmly, "Yes..... I'm sure." Seriously-- did she think I'd say, "Goodness, stranger, you're right, he's suffocating! Thank you!"

Today, we're going to attempt some outdoor pictures with my in-laws. I'm hoping we all have fun and get some good pictures of the kids together.

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
#19 of 135 Old 05-24-2010, 10:28 AM

PMed you, Jen.

If anybody else has good replacement recipes for going dairy free, let me know!

I think she can handle very slight amounts of dairy (like a sprinkle of parm on pasta type things).

#20 of 135 Old 05-24-2010, 12:40 PM

Rhi: I'm not vegan but like to cook that way sometimes as there are some really good recipes out there. My favorite vegan cookbook is Veganomicon (Yeah I totally bought it for the title) and it has some great tasty diary free recipes. It is heavy on grains but it's grains like millet, quiona, etc.

Baby touching: It doesn't bug me too much. In Mexico, it's very common to touch babies esp. among older women. If you admire a baby and don't touch it, you could be giving them the evil eye Here most of the Mexicans we meet ask to touch first, and then will lightly run their hand on her hair (she has a lot). I am okay with a pet on the head but I hate it when people try to touch her face.

Thanks LNF. It's not fun at all and I really hope we can wrap this up tomorrow.

Now Rowena and I are sick We both have colds so we had a rough night. I'd like to just lay around in bed all day but I have to go clean up at the old house and do some shopping so we can eat.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

#21 of 135 Old 05-24-2010, 02:21 PM

you know its weird but i hardly ever have anyone want to touch my babies. like maybe 5 times over 5 years! it's not just that i have 2 other munchins trailing me so they never get a word in anyways cause it hardly happened with ds1 too. i get plenty of comments on the new baby but its just a peak usually.

we're MOVING!!!! next weekend. we didn't get the house that we wanted that i was talking about a while ago but went to look at a place yesterday and took it immidiatly. nothing spectacular about it except the PRICE. its in an extremely nice neighborhood but the guy is getting foreclosed and is just trying to stay afloat on his HOA fees so he's renting it for half the price it would normally rent for, no deposit, and no lease! and it has the SPACE we need. there's a formal dining room and a huge split living room a gas fireplace the 3 bdrms and a TRUE master with a TUB! so now i have to pack....its going to be daunting doing it in a week with a new baby and 2 other kids. i'm not sure that i can do it and we'll be packing AND moving on saterday/sunday. FWIW though this is the 4th place i've lived in in less than a year and i moved with ds1 when he was 2 weeks old so i can survive!
#22 of 135 Old 05-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Ginger and Danielle, wow, I cannot imagine moving with a newborn. You guys rock. Hopefully, everything settles down soon! I would move in a heartbeat though, if we could actually afford our own place right now, but it still might be a while.

Rhi and Carley, I'm doing the elimination thing right now too. It can be a bit frustrating because I think he also might be having trouble with things like tomatoes, oranges and berries. Yesterday I had absolutely NO soy, dairy, or wheat/gluten, and he still projectile vomited on me. I'm not giving up eggs, but rarely eat those anyway, besides in mayo. I ate a bunch of hummus that I made and maybe that's what caused it, but there is no way I can give up legumes, in addition to everything else! Yesterday, for breakfast, I made a smoothie, veggies with hummus for lunch, zucchini fish with baked cod for dinner. I found that I really like brown rice bread, so I have no problem giving up regular bread. I like almond and hazelnut milks. I've also tried rice cheese before, although I don't buy it, since it's cheaper to eat less processed foods and better for you anyhow.

It's just sometimes I have hard time keeping up with cooking, in addition to like 30 diaper changes a day for two kids, laundry, and dishes. I swear I don't know how I will ever find time for other things, although I've been watching more movies, since baby is peaceful, WHEN he is hanging out on my lap. Thankfully, I'm getting a fair amount of sleep at night and even manage to nap once in a while, otherwise, I can't imagine keeping up with the most basic things.

Dena, I can relate about your DH. DH goes to the gym every morning, and I know, that it's good for him and all, but I resent him. Like today, he spent morning having breakfast and took an hour in the bathroom. No help with making breakfast for DS, changing diapers, not even to mention letting me have a kids free shower...

Lena , wife to best friend Joe , mommy to my two sweetie pies, DS1 born 7.7.07 and DS2 just arrived 4.17.10
#23 of 135 Old 05-24-2010, 03:35 PM

Lena, . Remember that dairy can take 2-3 weeks to get out of your system, so results can be slow.

Danielle ! to you for some moving mojo!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#24 of 135 Old 05-24-2010, 05:46 PM

Sme- so if I see pretty immediate (within a day or two) results of giving up dairy, does it mean it's in my imagination? Or just maybe that she's sensitive to dairy but that it's not horrible? Because last week when I had very little (though I did have bits, I wasn't looking for it hidden in things) dairy I had a relatively easy baby. Friday night I started eating dairy again and had a horrible day yesterday and a pretty rough one so far today.

#25 of 135 Old 05-24-2010, 06:36 PM

Thanks, Sara. Honestly, I suspect wheat more than dairy, since I gave up dairy almost since day 1. I slipped a few times, like I had some sour cream on my baked potato in the hospital, had some in fast food and salad dressing a couple of times, and had a bunch of ice cream cake for DH's birthday recently, but that doesn't seem consistent with him spitting up more and stuff. He also has a rash, that I suspect might be food related. I'm actually allergic to soy, so I'm careful with that stuff anyhow, even though I slip sometimes too, if I don't notice a blatant ingredient in food. Everything has soy, by the way. It's crazy...That leaves me with wheat, that I didn't give up until a couple of days ago. I hope things get better from here on, cause I would hate to try ruling out things like eggs, beans and nuts. Then I will only be eating turkey and rice lol

Rhi, it really sounds like your babe has a blatant reaction to dairy. DS1 was that way. I didn't discover that until he was having a reaction to formula, that I had to start adding in due to no weight gain around three weeks. It got much better after I cut it out. He didn't spit up much but fussiness level definitely went down. He seems to tolerate dairy fine now, although I don't specifically give him any, but he gets it elsewhere. I get him goat yogurt, which he loves by the way and I like too. As a side note, I LOVE coconut milk ice cream. It's totally yum, although now that I think about it, I have lots of coconut stuff in my food, and that could be a potential allergy. Umm...I need to stop obsessing.

Lena , wife to best friend Joe , mommy to my two sweetie pies, DS1 born 7.7.07 and DS2 just arrived 4.17.10
#26 of 135 Old 05-24-2010, 07:20 PM

Rhi, are you having to give up chocolate too? Cause I have a recipe for a "6 minute chocolate cake" that is super fast, very tasty, and happens to be vegan - it's made with vinegar but is very tasty, something like this:
http://veganconnection.com/recipes/crazy.htm

Can we do a PPD check in? How are you guys all doing? I am getting a little nervous, thought trying to just take deep breaths, relax, and focus on moment by moment. It's when I start thinking, "ok, this is how it's going to be forever" that things tend to fall apart for me, depression wise. If I can keep from getting stuck, I can get through it.
But today it is raining and gray AGAIN and will be for the rest of the week. The baby is sweet but just wants to be active with me every second she's awake (like, standing, sitting, walking, burping, sucking, on and on) and I'm feeling a little claustrophobic. Getting out of the house helps but the weather is bumming me out.
And I think my hormones have shifted again, I feel anxious and tearful. Watching the stupid Lost finale didn't help. Also having tons of (thankfully clear!) lochia discharge, a new hemmoroid, a persistent yeast infection, and leaky boobs, and having to work my first long postpartum photo shoot on Saturday is all making me feel like I need a big spa day

How is everyone doing with the PPD lookout? I know we are mostly through the most dangerous window, but - is everyone ok?
#27 of 135 Old 05-24-2010, 07:45 PM

Going from one to two was much, much harder than two to three for me. So far, two to three has been... not easy, but not a struggle. It has it's challenges, but i have two more years of mothering under my belt, and I just feel more prepared to be anyone's mom this time, where as last time I felt so inept. It also helps that my husband is more "present" this time, both physically and emotionally.

PPD check in - At 8 weeks out, I think I'm safe to say I won't have PPD this time... though anything before 12 months PP can be deemed PPD, so I'm trying not to jinx myself. I have bad days, where I yell at the kids and act like a toddler, but usually it's just one day (and I can link it back to a bad night's sleep/not eating enough). The difference is that one bad day doesn't spiral into a week of "I fail at everything" thoughts. I'm also not sleeping on the big girls' floor, sure someone is going to climb in the window and kidnap them, so that's a bonus.

Elimination diets - I've only dabbled in elimination diets, but a good friend of mine went almost two years without dairy for her daughter, and i was always so amazed by her willpower. The GD diet was hard, but I could have everything in moderation - cutting out anything entirely would make me a very unhappy camper.

Becky is suddenly much more aware and wants to be entertained constantly, which is pretty impossible with two other kids. I'm learning to put her down and trust that the big kids won't hurt her (too much). DD1 is wonderful with her, but DD2 has a wild streak and is the sort to pull her big sister's hair just to see her scream, so I have to constantly tell her to get the baby's foot out of her mouth, or that arms don't bend that way. Hopefully the "new" will wear off soon and that will stop being in her face every time i put her down.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#28 of 135 Old 05-24-2010, 07:53 PM

Mmm, Jess, so far I haven't noticed anything with chocolate.

I actually think even small amounts of milk products aren't too huge of a deal. Who knows, maybe I could have the world's most happy perfect baby ever if I did a total elimination diet...but I'm happy with my mostly content baby that I get between the Zantac and the giving up obvious dairy!

#29 of 135 Old 05-24-2010, 08:20 PM

No PPD, but there's one big factor that's depressing me, and that's the prospect of going back to work in July. We literally can't afford to live without me working-- my husband's monthly income is about $200 over our stupid stupid mortgage. He's trying to figure out if we can refinance but I have to assume the worst, that I'll be going back. Trying to find out if I can work part time for my current company or not, if so, I can keep Cecilia here with me. If not I don't know what the hell I'll do; although I work from home, I can't fathom how (un)productive I'd be with her here. She'd get all my focus. Dammit, why can't we figure out how to make this work? God, this depresses me.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#30 of 135 Old 05-24-2010, 08:29 PM

Aimee, I understand! I am lucky in that I don't have to "go" anywhere for work (other than when I have a gig), since I mostly work from my home office. But now I'm torn between not wanting to have to work for a really long time (some of my clients feel like babies as it is, and the demands are kind of starting to scare me combined with the baby's neediness), and wanting to feel like a grown up and have a career.
I can't believe we STILL haven't figured out a good work/ mothering solution for American women yet!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page