Still having latch problems anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 05-27-2010, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just looking for some company My DS is 7 weeks now and we haven't yet mastered latching. I have been pumping since he was 2 weeks and he takes bottles for more than half his feeds. He doesnt have nipple confusion thankfully. After going through terrible nursing, thanks to my LC, I now know I have vapospasm. Taking medicine for it has made things MUCH better. But I still cant get to painless nusring.
Is anyone else still struggling like me?

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#2 of 58 Old 05-27-2010, 08:23 PM

What are you taking for the vasospasms? I have pain between sessions. Nipple pain and shooting pain in my breasts. It's annoying, not unbearable. She has a shallow latch. I have the blanching. Whether or not it's raynauds like my midwife guessed or just latch issues I don't know. I've never had anyone look.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#3 of 58 Old 05-27-2010, 08:48 PM

I've got latch issues at 8 weeks. Sprout had a difficult-to-diagnose tongue tie that wasn't clipped until 5.5 weeks and he still hasn't re-learned how to nurse. He slips off every few sucks and either painfully pulls himself back on or I have to re-latch him.

Neither of us finds nursing enjoyable or relaxing. He's still exclusively breastfed, because the LC feels that it would probably encourage the sucking habits that he needs to be broken of after the tongue tie clipping.

I've nearly broken down and stopped a couple of times in the last few weeks. I just can't bring myself to go to formula as long as it's at least remotely bearable, and after pumping for DD when I worked for a few months, I know I couldn't do that exclusively.

So we push through. I have hopes that things will be better at 12 weeks. Of course, I'd hoped they'd be better after the clipping. And then a week after that. Then at 8 weeks. I guess I need to convince myself that the solution is right around the corner.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#4 of 58 Old 05-27-2010, 10:44 PM

to all of you - I had a hellacious start to nursing with my first child, and wanted to just cheer you all on. You mamas are amazing!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#5 of 58 Old 05-28-2010, 12:04 AM

We're using nipple shields still at 3.5 weeks. We started due to my flat/inverted nipples. He has drawn my nipples out pretty well, but they're still not great. I can get him to latch on without the shields sometimes, but he usually gets pretty frustrated. I'm thankful we have the option of using the shields, because I really couldn't get him to latch on for more than 2 or 3 seconds without them, but I hope to be able to wean him off of them over the next two or three weeks.

Hugs to all of you mamas who are having a harder time than I am.
#6 of 58 Old 05-28-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oztok5 View Post
We're using nipple shields still at 3.5 weeks. We started due to my flat/inverted nipples. He has drawn my nipples out pretty well, but they're still not great. I can get him to latch on without the shields sometimes, but he usually gets pretty frustrated. I'm thankful we have the option of using the shields, because I really couldn't get him to latch on for more than 2 or 3 seconds without them, but I hope to be able to wean him off of them over the next two or three weeks.

Hugs to all of you mamas who are having a harder time than I am.
Good luck! I had the same issue as you with my DS, and I'm happy to tell you that nursing DD this time was nearly effortless - my nipples are perfectly drawn out. So hopefully the shields help you make it a permanent fix.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#7 of 58 Old 05-28-2010, 11:39 AM

yes! DD had her tongue clipped last week (at 4 weeks) and it was traumatic-he apparently clipped the 'mucosa' and she had to be on antibiotics for 5 days which REALLY upset me as DS is 2 and a half and has never once been on them and here poor Molly is at a month old and already had them she tolerated them really well though, so I guess that's something. I debated not giving them to her but the doc reminded me that infections in an infant can get very nasty very quickly...so I caved and she got them

anyway, it honestly didnt do much at 1st and then she refused to nurse at all...the LC thinks that she was traumatized!? as on that same day she had also choked on her vomit and stopped breathing for about 20 seconds which doesnt sound long but maaaan...it was VERY scary for us both so with those two things combined nursing took a downward spiral. On Monday she barely nursed at all for hours and hours. The LC told me that in the AZ heat I couldnt mess around and she needed milk in her so I broke down and pumped and she had a bottle which made me really sad. Luckily though, it doesnt seem to have stopped her nursing as in the days that followed she picked up where she left off and I think her latch IS better now, now that we've all calmed down. However, im now combining nursing and pumping. It suits me better and makes me less paranoid as I can see what she is getting when I pump (I know...im ridiculous!) I can pump a TON I already have over a days worth of milk in my freezer! so we 90% pump during the day and nurse at night.

sorry for essay

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#8 of 58 Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 AM

You know, Sophie, if you end up pumping extra.... Just sayin'!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#9 of 58 Old 05-28-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
You know, Sophie, if you end up pumping extra.... Just sayin'!

I did think about you actually!! If I end up with super amounts of extra I'll be sure to let you know!!

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#10 of 58 Old 05-28-2010, 02:23 PM

Thanks, mama!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#11 of 58 Old 05-28-2010, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew_crafty_girl View Post
What are you taking for the vasospasms? I have pain between sessions. Nipple pain and shooting pain in my breasts. It's annoying, not unbearable. She has a shallow latch. I have the blanching. Whether or not it's raynauds like my midwife guessed or just latch issues I don't know. I've never had anyone look.
I had similar symptoms...my pain was bad enough that I couldnt wear clothes and felt like acid had been poured on my nipples It was awful. They are still tender to touch, hurt while showering but now I can wear clothes

I am taking Nifedical once daily. My LC also said heat helps. So I keep the room quite warm when I nurse him and that has seemed to help too. You can try applying heat just before nursing and see if that helps. Do try to get help if the pain worsens...good luck!

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#12 of 58 Old 05-28-2010, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
I've got latch issues at 8 weeks. Sprout had a difficult-to-diagnose tongue tie that wasn't clipped until 5.5 weeks and he still hasn't re-learned how to nurse. He slips off every few sucks and either painfully pulls himself back on or I have to re-latch him.

Neither of us finds nursing enjoyable or relaxing. He's still exclusively breastfed, because the LC feels that it would probably encourage the sucking habits that he needs to be broken of after the tongue tie clipping.

I've nearly broken down and stopped a couple of times in the last few weeks. I just can't bring myself to go to formula as long as it's at least remotely bearable, and after pumping for DD when I worked for a few months, I know I couldn't do that exclusively.

So we push through. I have hopes that things will be better at 12 weeks. Of course, I'd hoped they'd be better after the clipping. And then a week after that. Then at 8 weeks. I guess I need to convince myself that the solution is right around the corner.
I have the same anti-formula sentiment that's driving me. Pumping has helped me though...I don't know how long I can do it, but right now nursing doesn't feel great...pumping does..it hurts to say this, but that's how it is.

I am sure things will be better for you soon!

#13 of 58 Old 05-28-2010, 09:13 PM

*sigh* Been a few rough days. Sprout's developed some weird habit that's making him take in a lot of air -- something like starting to suck before he's latched? Can't quite figure it out. Whatever it is, it makes him really uncomfortable. He's started crying sometimes while nursing because of it.

This all has not the happy, relaxing nursing experience I was expecting...

How are you guys dealing with the loss of that? Nursing feels like a constant battle, something I have to THINK about, not just relax with. It's always on my mind, even when I'm not nursing -- what could I try differently? What else might be causing this? How much longer can I put up with it?

Oh, and is anyone else getting pressure to stop? DH is behind me 100% -- maybe even more. He REALLY wants me to breastfeed. I might have stopped before this, if not how disappointed I know he would be (although he'd never actually tell me that). My parents, though, who formula-fed my sister and I, have definitely put in the vote for going to formula.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#14 of 58 Old 05-28-2010, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the info Amy. I'll talk to the midwives more at my 8 wk visit. I am also going to attend a LLL talk at the health unit next week.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#15 of 58 Old 05-28-2010, 11:32 PM

Yup. We're using a nipple shield, and she's breastfed and happy. She wasn't latching well early on and the shield saved our breastfeeding relationship.

4 kids under 10
#16 of 58 Old 05-29-2010, 09:06 AM

nursing is going much better w/dd than ds (used a nipple shield w/him). Most of our feeds have latching not deep enough and lots of air - very clicky - so require several burping sessions throught out 1 nursing session. If i force the boob w/out a proper burp, she'll resist & if she does take it it results in projectile vomiting I have an OB appt Tuesday, so I will make a LC appt for the same day. its worst when I am full & engorged, so I pump some of if I am very engorged, but I can't help but wonder if there is some underlying latch problem. I guess I just don't know what normal is supposed to be, so if it can be better, I'm all for it.

Since I also had latch issues w/DS, I don't feel any mourning over this relationship. In fact coming here has prompted me to get help because I thought BFing issues are just normal LOL. I feel lucky just to be BFing exclusively, w/out the shield this time (yay!!) and happy that she is gaining weight well.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#17 of 58 Old 06-01-2010, 05:53 PM

We're still having trouble. My nipples are red, blistery, and oozy. It's nasty. We both have thrush, which we're treating, but he's also been tongue thrusting which is painful, and I'm not sure whether it's due to nipple confusion or tongue tie. Between that and the Lact-Aid, I end up having to relatch him 20 times in a feeding.

This on top of my usual low supply issues is incredibly frustrating. I don't think women should have to deal with more than one breastfeeding issue at a time.. it's just not fair.

-Rachel
Mommy to Colwyn, 10/03 ~ Lachlann, 8/05 ~ Fiona, 6/08 ~ Niall, 5/10
#18 of 58 Old 06-01-2010, 06:44 PM

we're doing pretty well over here. but is it normal to have days where it hurts more? usually it doesn't hurt now, but today my left nipple is hurting like she's not latching right. But it looks right and I think maybe my nipple is just randomly hurting. Maybe her latch got lazy during the night and hurt it, and now it just still hurts?

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#19 of 58 Old 06-01-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColwynsMommy View Post
We're still having trouble. My nipples are red, blistery, and oozy. It's nasty. We both have thrush, which we're treating, but he's also been tongue thrusting which is painful, and I'm not sure whether it's due to nipple confusion or tongue tie. Between that and the Lact-Aid, I end up having to relatch him 20 times in a feeding.

This on top of my usual low supply issues is incredibly frustrating. I don't think women should have to deal with more than one breastfeeding issue at a time.. it's just not fair.
That really sucks! Have you looked into tongue tie with a doctor who's familiar with it? The longer you wait to get it clipped, the longer it takes for baby to re-learn their latch. Sprout was clipped at 5.5 weeks and is only starting to get better here at 9 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
we're doing pretty well over here. but is it normal to have days where it hurts more? usually it doesn't hurt now, but today my left nipple is hurting like she's not latching right. But it looks right and I think maybe my nipple is just randomly hurting. Maybe her latch got lazy during the night and hurt it, and now it just still hurts?
I have days when one side hurts more (usually my left). Usually, for me, it starts with popping him off without breaking the suction properly, then is made worse by me letting him be lazy. When that happens, I nurse him off the good side all night and pump the hurt side the next morning. That gives it time to heal and gives me extra freezer stash!

AFM -- I think I'm comfortable saying out loud that Sprout's latch is somewhat improved! When he's not serious about nursing, he'll still pop on and off a ton. But when he's really hungry, he can stay on much better. He still loses it frequently, but we might get 15-20 sucks in a row now! And I've even managed to switch to cradle AND do side-lying a few times!

I'm finally letting myself think that we might get out of this!

#20 of 58 Old 06-01-2010, 11:51 PM

ColwynsMommy, we just got over thrush. I totally feel you. Sorry you're having other problems on top of that - you're right it's not fair. Thrush sucks enough.

#21 of 58 Old 06-05-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't realize so many of us were having latch/BF issues. Hugs to all of you.

I have a positive update - After 3 weeks of medication my Renauds has gone. I am now able to BF without dreading every feed. Some feeds are painless!!!

To those of you who are still fighting, hang in there...

#22 of 58 Old 06-05-2010, 05:29 PM

Thanks, Amy! And congratulations!

Sprout seems to have taken 2 steps back. He's dropping a lot the last few days. Oh, and for a while today, he decided he only wanted to nurse side-lying! He didn't eat for 5 hours today because I couldn't lay down to feed him! I finally caught him right after a nap, when he was drowsy and not paying attention, and got a good feed into him.

I've talked to an LC and a pediatrician, and they feel the frenulum connecting Sprout's upper lip is a bit tight (fairly common with tongue tied kids). We're going back to the ENT on Monday and are going to see if he'll clip that.

I got a copy of "Supporting Sucking Skills in Breastfed Infants" through the library ILL, and it's fabulous. You can read part of it on Google Books. I tried the baby-led attachment to see if we could get a better latch that way, but no luck. Still working my way to the tongue-tie chapter.... hoping there'll be some more ideas there.

#23 of 58 Old 06-05-2010, 11:05 PM

Yay, Amy! Congrats on feeling better!
Jen, that book sounds great, I might check it out of the library, too.
I think I haven't posted on this thread yet (sorry if I have! Very tired). My babe has had so much milk (oversupply) gushing her way for her whole life so far that now that I"m getting it to slow a bit (despite a new increase due to 6 week growth spurt), I'm realizing we might start having latch problems at 7 weeks. Yikes! She has a really lazy latch since the milk just shoots in there for the first few minutes, she pops off constantly (so she doesn't drown in the let down), and now she's started licking the nipple instead of sucking.
I"m going to just keep letting her work through her frustration and redirect her back to the nipple over and over again when she thinks the milk is all done, but it's weird thinking that we kind of have to start from scratch getting her to latch properly unless the boob is engorged and gushing.
#24 of 58 Old 06-05-2010, 11:09 PM

Wow, after reading back through the thread, I just have to say - you mamas are TOUGH! I had no idea so many of you were experiencing so much pain and frustration. Great job for sticking with it, and no judgement if you end up shifting to formula... but I am so impressed with everyone for your patience and dedication! Hope things get much better soon s
#25 of 58 Old 06-06-2010, 09:16 PM

Things are finally improving for us, too. Between saline soaks, homemade APNO, and taking one feed off each night, my nipples are starting to heal and it isn't nearly as painful to nurse. I'm getting more comfortable doing the cross-cradle hold, so I don't have to rely on only the football hold. He's still tongue thrusting pretty frequently, but it doesn't hurt as much. I think we're just going to have to nurse through it and hope that he'll grow out of it.

-Rachel
#26 of 58 Old 06-07-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColwynsMommy View Post
Things are finally improving for us, too. Between saline soaks, homemade APNO, and taking one feed off each night, my nipples are starting to heal and it isn't nearly as painful to nurse. I'm getting more comfortable doing the cross-cradle hold, so I don't have to rely on only the football hold. He's still tongue thrusting pretty frequently, but it doesn't hurt as much. I think we're just going to have to nurse through it and hope that he'll grow out of it.
Great news! I have also found cross cradle very helpful. With football , I discovered using a boppy pillow helps. Good luck!

#27 of 58 Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 PM

ENT won't clip Sprout's lip tie. And I suspect he might still have a posterior tongue tie, but there's no way I'll find anyone around here to clip it.

So we've reached as far as I can go in getting his anatomy appropriate for nursing. Now it's just time and hope.

#28 of 58 Old 06-09-2010, 12:54 PM

On a scale of 0-5, where 5 is a normal, happy nursing relationship and 0 is "I'm in the car, on the way to the grocery store to buy some formula", we're hovering around a 1 these days.

If I knew things would get better down the line, I'd be able to push through this. But I'm suspecting more and more that he's nursing like this out of habit, not out of necessity. I've tried everything I and the LC can think of, but there's no way to MAKE a 2 month old keep the breast in his mouth.

bubbamummy, ColwynsMommy -- how are you guys doing with the tongue tie (or suspected tongue tie) issues?

#29 of 58 Old 06-09-2010, 11:46 PM

Jen, reading your posts made me realize I have a latch dropper too. Not to the extreme of sprout but still she drops her latch many times a session, I don't know why, but it is annoying especially when NIP. I hope it gets better for you.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#30 of 58 Old 06-10-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
On a scale of 0-5, where 5 is a normal, happy nursing relationship and 0 is "I'm in the car, on the way to the grocery store to buy some formula", we're hovering around a 1 these days.

If I knew things would get better down the line, I'd be able to push through this. But I'm suspecting more and more that he's nursing like this out of habit, not out of necessity. I've tried everything I and the LC can think of, but there's no way to MAKE a 2 month old keep the breast in his mouth.

bubbamummy, ColwynsMommy -- how are you guys doing with the tongue tie (or suspected tongue tie) issues?
I don't think he's got tongue tie.. he stopped tongue thrusting so much when the thrush went away, so I think he was just uncomfortable or something. He still does it occasionally, but I'm down to relatching him maybe 5 times a session.

-Rachel

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page