Weekly thread, June 27 - July 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
March DDC is closing on Monday.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#2 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 10:12 AM

But something tells me this group will have the most active thread over in LWAB.

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
#3 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 12:37 PM

i don't think i'll ever really be able to keep up! and i found lalala on FB. i can't find riverbeauty though.

anyone else think their babe grows every time they sleep? i swear sometimes he just looks bigger when he wakes up even sometimes after naps! darn weeds just keep growing!
#4 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 01:08 PM

I can't believe the closing of the forum is coming up This really has been the best DDC ever! I will be checking on LWAB regularly even if I can't always post.

Anyone have plans for the fourth? We actually got invited somewhere! We'll be heading to one of new homeschooling friend's place. She has a pool so I'm hoping R will be okay. She hasn't been dealing with the heat well so we've been limited to in building activities.

Today we have a ton of people coming over and I had an awful night. I really just want to sleep but nope I'll be entertaining. Sigh.

R is doing good. I was looking in the Dr.Sear's book and she's right on target for what he lists as developments. He says nothing about rolling over or reaching out for toys! I told H that first we were pushing kids to learn faster and more in K and now we're doing it to babies too. I was shocked that some of your drs expected babies this young to be rolling over and reaching for stuff as I know that this was never the expectation for my other kids.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

#5 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 02:09 PM

i don't think m son rolled over for 6 mo!

we have our changing table across from the bathroom, so the light makes a shadow on the wall, she's been reaching for the shadow. but not for toys.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#6 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

For those who are having trouble with baby sleeping on their own.... I know this is considered a terrible thing to suggest these days, but... have you thought about trying to let them sleep on their tummy? Both of my kids could not sleep on their backs. The littlest thing woke them up, they slept fitfully, etc. We put DD on her tummy around 4 months. DS went on his tummy at around a month.

It's totally a personal decision. I did a bunch of research and determined we have almost no risk factors other than stomach sleeping. I leave a fan on because there's some research to indicate that helps. Their risk is something like 1.5 in 1000 instead of .75 in 1000.

Like I said, totally personal. And I understand that it might make YOU sleep worse, even if baby sleeps better. But I know with DD I thought stomach sleeping was absolutely the worst decision, only terrible parents did it, that she was nearly certain to die if I did, etc. Hearing a more balanced discussion and doing my own research let me be comfortable giving it a shot. And it's helped both my kids sleep so much better.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#7 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

OMG! I got Sprout down for a nap and convinced Nugget that afternoon quiet time was a good idea (convinced = bought her a Toy Story 3 audiobook).

Now the house is quiet and no one needs me.

What do I do now, again??

ETA -- okay, that lasted not even 5 minutes. By the time I'd found an appropriately light book and settled in, DD peed in her potty. Then needed a snack. Then Sprout needed his 30 minute resettling. Then more snack. Then nursing. And now Sprout's reflux has him up for good.

#8 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinderliter View Post
i don't think i'll ever really be able to keep up! and i found lalala on FB. i can't find riverbeauty though.

anyone else think their babe grows every time they sleep? i swear sometimes he just looks bigger when he wakes up even sometimes after naps! darn weeds just keep growing!
I have that feeling every morning! Like, WHOA, who is this bigger baby?

I would definitely let S sleep on her stomach by now if she didn't HATE it because she never did it as a tiny baby. Arggggh.
#9 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
I would definitely let S sleep on her stomach by now if she didn't HATE it because she never did it as a tiny baby. Arggggh.
She's probably just not a tummy sleeper. DD didn't go onto her stomach until 4 months and she took to it right away, even though she'd never done it as a tiny baby.

#10 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
OMG! I got Sprout down for a nap and convinced Nugget that afternoon quiet time was a good idea (convinced = bought her a Toy Story 3 audiobook).

Now the house is quiet and no one needs me.

What do I do now, again??

ETA -- okay, that lasted not even 5 minutes. By the time I'd found an appropriately light book and settled in, DD peed in her potty. Then needed a snack. Then Sprout needed his 30 minute resettling. Then more snack. Then nursing. And now Sprout's reflux has him up for good.
Isn't that how it always goes? At least that's how it is when I'm home alone with the kids during the week. It's quiet here currently though. DH and DS1 are snuggling on the couch watching a movie and DS2 is snoozing in his rocker chair not far away. I'm going to pick up my knitting project and enjoy it while it lasts!

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
#11 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 05:40 PM

Cecilia's daytime sleeping pattern is all wacky these days. Used to be she'd go down for a nap half an hour to an hour after she got up at 5-6 am, and sleep for 2.5-3 hours. These days she either nurses and naps basically all day (yesterday) and I eat like a freaking horse, or it's a day like today-- she napped after getting up as usual, but it only lasted 30 minutes, so by 7:30 she was awake again. Then she didn't nap again until almost noon, and that lasted for 30 minutes, and then she went back down at 12:45-ish and is sleeping now (1:45). No discernable patterns that I can see as to why one day is so different from the next.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#12 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
Cecilia's daytime sleeping pattern is all wacky these days. Used to be she'd go down for a nap half an hour to an hour after she got up at 5-6 am, and sleep for 2.5-3 hours. These days she either nurses and naps basically all day (yesterday) and I eat like a freaking horse, or it's a day like today-- she napped after getting up as usual, but it only lasted 30 minutes, so by 7:30 she was awake again. Then she didn't nap again until almost noon, and that lasted for 30 minutes, and then she went back down at 12:45-ish and is sleeping now (1:45). No discernable patterns that I can see as to why one day is so different from the next.
We're having the same issues here. She's ditched her 3 hour morning swing nap in favor of a short nap and then fussy time. But, she's in the swing right now, and has taken another short swing nap today, so she's just doing things in little chunks. I don't get it. No pattern here, either.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#13 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 06:14 PM

Interesting, our babies are only 2 days apart in age, so maybe there's something with this age? I know that a lot of the 4 month sleep regression people talk about is thought to be caused by new developmental growth (look at the gallons of drool suddenly appearing, for example). Maybe our girlies are just advanced.

ETA: Cool blog post!

#14 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 06:58 PM

Moxie is wonderful. She's not as active lately (divorce, working more) but when DD2 was born i read her blog daily. She has great PPD articles and resources as well. She's level headed, unaffiliated, and obviously passionate about empowering parents to trust themselves.

It's a sunny sunny day here, and I'm soaking up the sun, getting my vitamin D boost. A friend is studying to be a IBCLC right now, and recommends 20 minutes a week of sunshine for pasty white people like me (more for darker skin) so i have enough to pass on to Becky. Rickets is on the rise for the first time in generations, because we are so vitamin D deficient, and now, when their bones are growing so rapidly, is a crucial time. Four months is right around when symptoms can show up, so get outside and soak up some sunshine! (But take some water. I was stupid and got dehydrated yesterday because I forgot to drink. )

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#15 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 07:00 PM

I'm too afraid to get sun right now-- it's 108 here and I'm sheet-of-paper white! I am this close to getting D supplements so I can pass it on to Cecilia.

#16 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
I'm too afraid to get sun right now-- it's 108 here and I'm sheet-of-paper white! I am this close to getting D supplements so I can pass it on to Cecilia.
2000 iu of D3 is good for maintaining a healthy vitamin d level, but if you are deficient you'll want to start a bit higher to build it up in your liver.

I visited my sister in Casa Grande in August, two years in a row (you'd think i would have learned the first time...) and it was miserable. I'm glad she lives in CO now so I can visit her without fearing being baked alive.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#17 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 07:49 PM

They only recommend 20 minutes of sun a week? I think I spend 20 minutes a day tending to the garden and chickens in the blazing sun. Then the daily walk(s) with DD1 (and DD2) during which I sweat like a nasty horse in the mid day heat....I'd better not be vitamin D deficient!

I'll subscribe to the thread over in LWAB! I'll miss our forum though.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#18 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 08:24 PM

tummy sleeping: charlie sleeps great at night on his back, but naps are way better on his tummy. i've been putting him down on his back for at least a week, because i want to use the kanoe (baby hammock) more, and there's no tummy sleeping in there! today i relented and put him on his tummy so i could do some painting, and ta-da, he slept from 3-6:30pm! good grief, i hope he goes down for the night at a reasonable hr.

daytime schedules: totally different from one day to the next! some kind of morning nap is inevitable, but length and timing vary, and the rest of the day may be a sleep-a-thon or he may nap once for 30 minutes. so weird!

greentea, i don't have anything to compare it to, but this DDC has been the best support. i never anticipated how much i would benefit!

july 4th: we have friends coming into town. they say they don't care that we don't have AC, but they even have an airconditioned camper. heh, we shall see. we have a great view of city fireworks from our porch/yard, so some other friends and family might stop by.

mpp, thanks for the encouragement to post on the photo thread. i need to figure out how to use my flikr acct (thanks, rhi!).

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#19 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Another fan of Moxie! I found "Wonder Weeks" through her. Popped over to that site yesterday, actually, and discovered they now have an iPhone app! Put in your LO's due date, and it tells you if they're going through any developmental leaps.

The English is a bit.... spotty, but it's a lot of information for just $2.

#20 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, anyone with experience with finger feeding? Since Sprout won't take a bottle but loves to suck on DH's finger, we thought an SNS might be something to let DH feed him while I'm away. I have no idea if that's a reasonable idea, though. Is there enough flow for a 3-month old to be happy eating that way? Or is it just for supplementing?

#21 of 158 Old 06-27-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
Oh, anyone with experience with finger feeding? Since Sprout won't take a bottle but loves to suck on DH's finger, we thought an SNS might be something to let DH feed him while I'm away. I have no idea if that's a reasonable idea, though. Is there enough flow for a 3-month old to be happy eating that way? Or is it just for supplementing?
What a great idea! I'm interested to hear what people think.

I don't have any of you as friends on FB, so I need somewhere to start. Do I PM one of you with my name?

LO went down sooo nicely tonight for bedtime at 9:30 (nursed to sleep) but woke up after 30 minutes, which he hasn't done in a week. He also ate like crazy this afternoon and barely napped at all. Growth spurt? I looked in Dr. Sears for the common growth spurt times, but Sears seems to be wise enough to give any timeframes! DH went up to put LO back to sleep, but I hear fussing through the monitor. sigh. My little guy hates to sleep on his tummy anymore. For a while we could get him to sleep best with his knees curled up under him, but now he rubs his head on the mattress and fusses.

Going to the pool again with LO tomorrow, excited! I hear rumors that our heat wave will break soon, but I'll believe when I see it. The TREES here are wilting. Not a good sign!

Momma to born April 18, 2010!
#22 of 158 Old 06-28-2010, 12:12 AM

Jen, I did finger feeding with my DD1 when she wouldn't latch on at first. We did it for 4 weeks. To be honest, I hated it...we used a piece of thin tubing (pic line or something?) and a large syringe filled with pumped milk. It really wasn't that slow for a newborn. I'm not sure how it would be for an older infant. You can push the milk out with the syringe to make it go faster! You really have nothing to lose by trying it, anyway.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#23 of 158 Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 AM

There's enough flow, trust me! Cecilia sometimes nurses on me with the SNS and I am completely dry (God, I HATE my low supply). But she's fine with drinking the supplement and taking her comfort from sucking.

#24 of 158 Old 06-28-2010, 07:15 AM

I have spent most of this last week loopy from pain meds. I can FB and tweet while loopy, but posting and blogging I try to be coherent for.

Daytime schedule: LuLu has actually been sleeping more. I think its the percocet I'm taking for my hand, though, because I'm sleepy as well. I'm trying to wean off of it while recognizing that I can't care for myself or the kids if I'm in excruciating pain.

Carseats- I was upset about missing the sale on the my rides but we didn't have the $. Thankfully one of my friends is a carseat tech & bought one to try out and resell. I'm picking it up tomorrow. We sold our infant seat for $75 so it almost paid for the new seat.

Afm- Lucy is starting to show interest in a wooden rattle, but doesn't reach for it. She's equally fascinated by her feet. She is the most easygoing baby. Very smiley, and will sometimes fall asleep on her own.

Recovery from surgery is more difficult than I thought. I figured small cut on hand, no big deal. Wrong. My hand is pretty much bruised from palm to 2" past my wrist, with a 3" incision on the palm of my hand and my wrist. Not what I expected! I don't think I'm having the pain I went into surgery for anymore. But with the pain from the bruises and incision, and the painkillers I have to take to cope, its difficult to tell if its gone or just covered up. I am also a lot more tired and weak. My body is taking a lot out of itself between breastfeeding and healing this wound. And of course its now that I need to treat it extra well when I'm most tempted to eat junk and such.

Today (28th) is dd1's 5th birthday. I cannot believe it! And even though she's drove me nuts all week with an attitude, not listening, and talking so, so loudly...I am beyond humbled to be her mom. She's a great kid. Compassionate, sensitive, inquisitive, and fun.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#25 of 158 Old 06-28-2010, 07:17 AM

I have spent most of this last week loopy from pain meds. I can FB and tweet while loopy, but posting and blogging I try to be coherent for.

Daytime schedule: LuLu has actually been sleeping more. I think its the percocet I'm taking for my hand, though, because I'm sleepy as well. I'm trying to wean off of it while recognizing that I can't care for myself or the kids if I'm in excruciating pain.

Carseats- I was upset about missing the sale on the my rides but we didn't have the $. Thankfully one of my friends is a carseat tech & bought one to try out and resell. I'm picking it up tomorrow. We sold our infant seat for $75 so it almost paid for the new seat.

Afm- Lucy is starting to show interest in a wooden rattle, but doesn't reach for it. She's equally fascinated by her feet. She is the most easygoing baby. Very smiley, and will sometimes fall asleep on her own.

Recovery from surgery is more difficult than I thought. I figured small cut on hand, no big deal. Wrong. My hand is pretty much bruised from palm to 2" past my wrist, with a 3" incision on the palm of my hand and my wrist. Not what I expected! I don't think I'm having the pain I went into surgery for anymore. But with the pain from the bruises and incision, and the painkillers I have to take to cope, its difficult to tell if its gone or just covered up. I am also a lot more tired and weak. My body is taking a lot out of itself between breastfeeding and healing this wound. And of course its now that I need to treat it extra well when I'm most tempted to eat junk and such.

Today (28th) is dd1's 5th birthday. I cannot believe it! And even though she's drove me nuts all week with an attitude, not listening, and talking so, so loudly...I am beyond humbled to be her mom. She's a great kid. Compassionate, sensitive, inquisitive, and fun.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#26 of 158 Old 06-28-2010, 10:29 AM

at work. need hugs.

#27 of 158 Old 06-28-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
at work. need hugs.
Big

I remember how tough that was. Expect to do nothing but think about L for a few days.

#28 of 158 Old 06-28-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
at work. need hugs.
Is today day 1 of daycare as well?

#29 of 158 Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
Is today day 1 of daycare as well?
Yes.

Just pumped for the first time at work. Got 6 ounces, but man are my nipples killing me. I'm wondering if I need a bigger flange. I ordered some, so hopefully that will help.

#30 of 158 Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Yes.

Just pumped for the first time at work. Got 6 ounces, but man are my nipples killing me. I'm wondering if I need a bigger flange. I ordered some, so hopefully that will help.
I surrounded myself with lots of pictures of Camille when I had to send her. It helped a bit.

My nipples hurt when I pump as well but they eventually get used to it.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page