Weekly thread, July 4-11 - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 166 Old 07-10-2010, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
Yikes - Becky is 3 months and 16.5 lbs, and in the 98th percentile. Average would be the 50th percentile, so I'm thinking someone was pulling stats out of their bum.

Today has been a rollercoaster. I just want one calm, level day! gah! I'm going to look into SAMe - how much are you taking Jess? (I have a herbalist appointment in TWO weeks - gah again!)
Ivy - my herbalist says SAMe works faster (1-2 weeks typically) than SSRIs and with fewer side effects. She encouraged me to try just the SAMe and 5HTP first and see how that goes but I was SO low that I started the Zoloft too. I and she think the SAMe might be what helped since I started feeling better about a week after increasing my SAMe dosage to 400mgs per day. (from 200mgs to start)... I'm also on 50mg Zoloft and now titrating to 25mg for a few days and then nothing. I hope to god that this itching stops soon, it has been 5 days and it's TERRIBLE.
The good news is that I saw a great dr today (my primary care guy, he's a really kind man) and he confirmed that 1-10% of people have itching with Zoloft (whereas my psychiatrist told me to "try lotion", argh), and that he sees a rash, it's just not super obvious. He seconded the titration and discontinuation of the Zoloft and then a possible switch to Paxil (we'll see), and said that if the itching doesn't stop in a few weeks (UGH), he will run a blood panel to rule out things like liver disease, anemia, leukemia (super super rare), thyroid, etc.
I'm pretty optimistic it's the Zoloft, esp after doing some other research online. Such a bummer! But I'm hoping that this will lead me back to just using the hopefully more effective and more natural amino acids in the SAMe. The problem with that is that it's quite expensive, but if it's a better choice and effective, then that would be great.
Ivy, I'd give it a shot, though it's expensive, maybe it can get you up and out of where you are feeling stuck? Hopefully that's what did it for me (as opposed to the Zoloft). And if you can wait a few weeks for it to kick in, then you won't be in the "was it the SSRIs or the SAMe" place I'm in now

Baby weights: don't worry, mamas! I"m guessing you would know instinctively if something was wrong. Everyone grows differently... I have friends with 3 month, 6 month, and 11 month old babies, all at 17 pounds right now. It's kind of funny and fun to see the huge discrepancies in sizes and shapes, but everyone is healthy and happy, so there are no problems there.

Something small and random - I hope - found a tiny smear of blood in S's poop this evening. She seems fine and I"m going to keep watching out - should I be concerned if it doesn't show up again?
#152 of 166 Old 07-10-2010, 11:14 AM

There is just such a wide range of "normal" with babies. DD1 was a super chunk up to about 6 months, and she was breastfed (she even gained over a pound by her one-week checkup). I have a petite friend whose daughter is about 6 months younger than DD1, but the first time they were together, when DD1 was 3 months and my friend's baby was 9 months, my DD was much bigger, even though her daughter was FF and my daughter was BF.
DD2 is FF now and isn't anywhere near as chunky as DD1 was at this age. Rumor has it that one of my cousins weighed 30 pounds at 6 months.
If your ped isn't worried, I wouldn't be worried.

In other news, I sent off my insurance claim on Tuesday. I'm going to call them Monday and see if they got it. I'm really hoping they pay something. I could really use the money.
I heard there was something in the new health care bill that took effect immediately and required coverage for out-of-hospital birth with midwives, but then I heard it was only for birth-centers and CNMs, not home births and CPMs. I wish I could just find a copy of the darn bill and check it out myself, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#153 of 166 Old 07-10-2010, 11:32 AM

You know what? I actually feel a lot better right now, because I can handle that other people are morons. That people are morons is just something everyone has to deal with sometime or another. Their treatment was unlikely to have caused harm aside from being wildly unnecessary and slightly painful. I can handle that part. If the treatment had been dangerous and unnecessary, I would have raised holy hell, gone to court, whatever I needed to do.

What I can't handle mentally is a child of mine being truly sick and me not seeing it. I need to be able to trust my own judgment, and now I feel like I can. We absolutely got screwed, but it's less frightening to me than the possibility that my child could be truly ill with a serious bacterial infection and me not able to see it, because if that was the case I couldn't trust that I wouldn't miss another bacterial infection.

I feel better knowing that in the end, my judgment and instincts were dead on here and the doctors who refused to listen to me were the problem. Infant with serious edema, iron levels high, improves on dopamine and has x-rays showing vascular congestion from fluid overload = probably some bizarre twin issue but no matter what... it's not a bacterial infection. However, those dolts are not in my life anymore, or my children's lives, so I'm back to relying on my judgment and instincts.

So, backed by the evidence and with the agreement of other medical professionals whose instincts I trust, I can know that I am not someone whose judgment is so questionable that her child could be dying of a bacterial infection and she wouldn't actually know. This isn't how things "should" have been, but I am not the one with questionable judgment, and since I'm the one in charge now, I'm ok with that.

Thank you all for all of your support. I really, really appreciate it.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#154 of 166 Old 07-10-2010, 01:04 PM

LNF, so glad you're in a better place. I wish the morons you had to deal with hadn't been Mercy's doctors, though. Ugh. What a craptastic situation.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#155 of 166 Old 07-10-2010, 01:51 PM

Anyone else's baby ever wake up crying in the morning's? S has been doing it more and more and this morning was the worst/ longest. I think it's either gas pains or her starting to realize that a. she's swaddled and can't get to her hands and then (when we unswaddle her) b. she can't control her hands because she's still asleep. But I don't know... what happens is that around 6:30 or 7 she starts crying in her sleep, and we can't get her to stop no matter what we try (boob pinky cuddles shhing unswaddling, reswaddling etc) until she wakes all of the way up on her own. This morning it took like a half hour!! Then once she wakes up, she kind of looks like, "what's happening here?" does her normal happy noises, and falls back to sleep at the breast or sucking on the pinky. Then she sleeps another hour or two squished up against me and when she wakes up for real, she's super happy and cooey and smiley. But that first wake up is such a drag for all of us!
I shouldn't be surrpsied, though, since I have a history of sleepwalking/ talking, I suppose it's only natural that the baby might do something like that too.
In other fun sleeping news, she has gone down somewhat easily the past few nights (not easy, but better than before), and only had one wakeup between 10pm and 6:30am the past three nights! Unless I am sleeping through one of them (which is again highly possible). Then after she gets up, she is ready for her nap in less than an hour and has been somewhat spontaneously falling asleep while playing... which still shocks and amazes me. Everything after that is harder, napwise, but still - signs of improvement! Baby's growing up

I love it when she goes to sleep early enough for me to actually have a chance to miss her, you know?
#156 of 166 Old 07-10-2010, 02:16 PM

Andlee, your baby is adorable

We have a totally chunky baby here too. Let me see if I can link directly to a photo that is on my blog (I'm surprisingly not tech savvy for someone who spends so much time online...):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_EZ_dGZ5cbr.../s1600/035.JPG

There. Big 'ole chunka baby. She is growth spurting for sure - nursing much more often than usual. But she has also started sleeping a solid 7 hour stretch every night, without waking to nurse even. And then waking up, nursing, and going back to sleep for a couple more hours. AWESOME. I will gladly nurse every hour during the day to get that kind of sleep. Also in sleepy news, she pulls sheets over her head, and it seems like she does it on purpose. She'll flail until she grabs one, pull it to her temple, and then fall back asleep.

She is not, BTW, my biggest chunkiest baby, DS was. He could barely move he was so chubby. Once he started getting around on his own he converted it all to muscle and is now a sturdy and big-overall 8yo who is also beneath his weight-for-height (low normal BMI).

LNF, AWESOME. You are a great mom that recognized that your baby was not doing well, and also recognized when she WAS doing well. The moronitude in between is NOT your fault.

This DDC is almost all I do at MDC, although I sometimes find myself clicking elsewhere. I'm not sure my being here is going to outlast the DDC closing.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#157 of 166 Old 07-10-2010, 04:20 PM

I've really become a general poster in "Life With a Babe." It won't be hard for me to make the transition when the DDC closes.

Anyone else have issues with MDC today and Firefox? I had to use the IE tab extension and open the forums in an IE tab instead of the usual Firefox, which sucks because Ad Block Plus doesn't work on IE tabs.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#158 of 166 Old 07-10-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
I've really become a general poster in "Life With a Babe." It won't be hard for me to make the transition when the DDC closes.

Anyone else have issues with MDC today and Firefox? I had to use the IE tab extension and open the forums in an IE tab instead of the usual Firefox, which sucks because Ad Block Plus doesn't work on IE tabs.
i have. i've found that if i delete the last few hours' worth of history that it works again.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#159 of 166 Old 07-10-2010, 04:41 PM

Yeah, tried that. I still get error messages in regular FF tabs. Oh well, IE tab it is (for now).

#160 of 166 Old 07-10-2010, 04:46 PM

Wow Niki, that is one big adorable baby!

Ada has fat cheeks and she fits in 6 month clothes, and some 6-9 month things too. She nursed the entire night non-stop last night. Must be a growth spurt. I slept ok through most of it. She is extremely angry today! She fights naps so hard, then she wakes up after 10 or 15 minutes still tired.

Ada has noticed her hands and feet recently. It's so funny to watch her pawing at stuff and staring at her hands trying to figure out how to work them. She also loves to kick stuff while she's sitting on her little potty.

I've been having strange Firefox issues too! Not with MDC yet, but with Flickr and gmail.

Jess--the bloody streak in her poop...I wouldn't worry unless it keeps happening and/or mucus starts accompanying it. I think it can be a sign of dairy allergy? Or if your nipples were irritated from pumping maybe she ingested a little blood?

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#161 of 166 Old 07-10-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, yeah, Jess, I meant to reply about the blood. DD used to have that before we figured out her dairy intolerance, but it was frequent and she had a lot of mucous in her stools, too. I don't think a one-off appearance of blood is much to worry about, but keep an eye on it.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#162 of 166 Old 07-11-2010, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, total withdrawl when I couldn't load the forums this morning!

I am NOT feeling the parenting thing today. DD seems so loud and busy and so very _3_. She just Will Not Stop Talking. Sprout won't nap longer than 30 minutes (which I can usually accept, it's just getting to me today) and is generalized fussy. DH is sleeping; we hung out with my mom yesterday so I don't want to impose again today. So it's just us in the house, me trying not to just go hide under the covers for the rest of the day.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#163 of 166 Old 07-11-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
I cleaned almost my whole house!

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#164 of 166 Old 07-11-2010, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
I cleaned almost my whole house!
I cleaned the windows!

(Housecleaning is also my escape from preschooler demands that I play Toy Story with her. Again. And again. And again.)

#165 of 166 Old 07-11-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
I thought it was just me again, since I haven't been able to open MDC in FF lately!

So, two nights in a row now Cecilia has fully woken up around 2:30 am, which used to be the time that she'd wake and latch on and fall right back asleep. Last night I had success patting her tush to get her back down once I latched her on, but I'm getting nervous that this is the start of a sleep regression. Totally don't need this; I'm exhausted every day as is! This morning I took her first nap with her cause I couldn't take it anymore.

#166 of 166 Old 07-11-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

This is my day. DD is playing play dough. Sprout is happy-bops. Suddenly -- crying, screaming baby. Nurse him, he falls asleep. Okay. Into the crib. Just as I'm about to lay him down, DD calls for me. Get Sprout into crib, hope he settles himself in. Run out to find that DD has peed a giant puddle all over the Learning Tower which she is splashing in.

Can I just hang out here with you guys today?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page