Eye color - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is your babies eye colour at this point? We're still blue but in the sun it looks like they could go brown. I'm blue, dh is hazel

I was surprised to meet another 3 month old (fair skinned) with hazel eyes who the mom said never had blue.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#2 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 12:43 PM

Cecilia's eyes are still the same as they were at birth, a light blue-grey-green. I have green eyes, my husband has blue. I don't know how long it takes for babies' eyes to change if they're going to change, but so far Cecilia's haven't done much. They might be a little more green, or I might be wishfully thinking.

ETA: I'm really thankful that she didn't have my birth eye color. When I was born, my eyes were almost completely clear, with a very faint grey tinge to them. The doctors all told my mom I'd be blind. I'm not, though I do have pretty crappy eyesight, and by 6 months I had my green eyes.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
Cecilia's eyes are still the same as they were at birth, a light blue-grey-green. I have green eyes, my husband has blue. I don't know how long it takes for babies' eyes to change if they're going to change, but so far Cecilia's haven't done much. They might be a little more green, or I might be wishfully thinking.
They usually change around 6 months. If they start out a certain color and haven't changed by then, then that's what they'll be. My ODS eye's were blue/light blue and have been the same since. My YDS was a darker blue - almost brown (I'm brown, DH is blue) and they've lightend up just a tad, but he could go either way. Maybe he'll just be a dark blue.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#4 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 01:04 PM

L's eyes started out a dark blue/grey color. I think they've gotten more grey, and sometimes they look like they're starting to turn brown.

I will be absolutely shocked if they don't turn brown. DH and I both have brown eyes, and while I have some other colors on my side of the family, DH and his mom could only thing of ONE person on either side of his family who has anything but brown eyes. His grandfather had grey eyes. So I suppose it's possible, but I think it's very unlikely that they stay grey.

She's probably going to have brown hair, too, though I am seeing a bit of my auburn color in it.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#5 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 01:09 PM

blue grey here. my mom has blue green & dh's dad has blue, so its possible they'll stay. ds had blue though & now has brown.

funny - ds has brown eyes and blond hair, dd has blue eyes and brown hair!

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#6 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 01:11 PM

Rowena started off with almost blue eyes with a lot of grey. We were stunned as all of our kids started off with brownish/grey eyes that turned to the dark brown they are. We've always hoped that one would get my eye color (blue/green). But now they're starting to look like a murky brown. I just looked and they're not as murky but totally brown

Dh is from Mexico and has almost black eyes and my dad's side of the family has dark brown eyes as well so it would be pretty shocking to end up with a blue eyed baby.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

#7 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 01:19 PM

DDCC, sorry, but I saw this in new posts and i just love this stuff.

According to this chart, your baby as 0% chance of having brown eyes. 50/50 of them being blue or hazel/green

You can just try googling Baby Eye Color Chart.

THis all stems from my MIL insisting it was possible that my kids might end up with Dark eyes because of my SIL or FIL being so dark. She figured since my husband is a medical enomoly, mine could be too. He has blue eyes, her and her husband are both brown. That left him with a 6% chance of having blue eyes. HOWEVER, blue is dominant, and since mine are blue and so are his, we could have 50 children, and they would probably all have blue eyes, with maybe the exception of one having green. But NEVER brown.
#8 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Cool, thanks! As for hair, hers has gone from dark brown to a lighter brown. She has dark brows and dh's complexion, thank goodness. Dh didn't look Caucasian at all as a kid. Odd considering his family is scotch/english. I'm very pale.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#9 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 PM

Blue. They were darker but are looking much lighter blue now.
DS1 did the same - he has blue eyes as well - a very light blue like DHs eyes.

I have green eyes. I was hoping one of my children would at least have green eyes - oh well! lol

Its a complete 50/50 toss up with blue or green for us. DH can only give a blue eye gene and I can give either blue - or a green gene.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#10 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 01:57 PM

darker blue than at birth, but I've caught bits of brown and green tints in the light... so I think they'll be DH's color (hazel with brown rings and greenish hue). her hair, though, still remains a mystery - I'm a redhead and EVERYONE else thinks her hair is red, but me and DH look at it and see brown or auburn. it's pretty short and thin so we shall see!
#11 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 03:00 PM

Jess, I know that my hair as a baby started out medium to dark brown and fairly straight. The longer it got, the lighter and curlier it got until I was a towhead with ringlets by 2 (hair never fell out). Cecilia's hair so far is following the same pattern, getting a little lighter and a little curlier as time goes in. So it's definitely possible that Symphony's hair willl lighten to a color more like yours as she grows!

That chart says Cecilia will either be blue or green, based on our eye colors. Green would be cool, I love having green eyes.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#12 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 03:19 PM

I don't think baby hair ever stays the same colour as it was at birth (unless you are asian/african). Most true blondes I know, for example, were born with really dark hair. Both DS1 and I were born with dark brown hair - and it slowly over time turned blonde. My hair, during my childhood, even turned white - and then I hit puberty and it started going blonde again.

Hamish actually was born with lighter brown hair (not as dark as DS1s). But he also did not have as much as DS1 had either. Hamish also actually looks like theres a tint of ginger in his hair too. DH was born with a similar colour (maybe even more ginger! lol). His too went blonde. Both DH and I are blonde - so I know Hamish will also go blonde - it is arlready growing in much lighter. It looks so funny when it grows that way - and the hair doesn't actualy fall out. Its like someone dipped the ends in ink! hehe

I expected DS1 hair to go white like mine did - but it hasn't. Maybe Hamishs hair will! hehe

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#13 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 03:43 PM

My girls all have greyblue eyes, while Tom and I have Hazel.
Ella, Alice, Becky (warning, a nursing shot, Oh my!). The older girls also got the whiteblonde hair that I had as a kid, but now it's more of a mousyblonde. My sister still has whiteblonde hair, so who knows. Becky's hair is almost a strawberryblonde, which makes sense since we have a lot of red in our family as well. We'll see!

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#14 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 04:07 PM

Yay - we like boobs! lol

It is a bit strawberry blonde isnt it! - I wish my hair was that colour!

#15 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 04:15 PM

There are some early pictures of her where she looks downright irish.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhianno...7623745673081/

But I never see that much red in real life.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#16 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 04:50 PM

dd was born with blonde hair and it has only gotten ligheter. ds was born with blond hair and it has only gotten darker....*shrug* i'm sure they will all eventually have the crappy dishwater brown/blond hair and blueish/greenish/hazelish eyes. thats our lot in life...never having ONE color to describe hair or eye color! and really it's all my fault. i can't pin down a color although my hair can bleach easily in the sun (but i am not out in it much anymore) so i guess brown is my color.

R has the dark blue with a tint of grey/green depending on the light and i expect them to only change over a LLLOOONNNNGGG period of time. the other 2's eyes have only slightly changed since their birth. ds's pretty much being the closest of his at birth. dd's got a lot lighter but still BLUE.
#17 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 09:52 PM

http://museum.thetech.org/ugenetics/...alculator.html

according to this i have 50% chance of brown eyed kid, 32.5 green, 17.5 blue

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#18 of 26 Old 07-13-2010, 10:23 PM

Dark blue here. I think they were lighter at birth, but I'm not sure. I should know that, shouldn't I?
I have blue eyes, DH has brown. I hope they stay blue, but I can't tell you why... I love DH's eyes.

Momma to born April 18, 2010!
#19 of 26 Old 07-14-2010, 01:10 AM

for now still blue and I'm crossing fingers and toes that they stay that way. DH and I both have brown eyes, but my dad and his mom and sis have blue so the potential is there...it is a 14% chance according to that calculator thing.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#20 of 26 Old 07-14-2010, 08:28 AM

My dd has slate grey/dark blue still.
Looks like they are turning in the center.
I have light hazel, but my husband has brown, and so do my other kids.
He seems to have completely dominated any of my genes though. None of my children look like they could have come from me!
#21 of 26 Old 07-14-2010, 10:18 AM

Blue is recessive, not dominant, which is why you'll always have blue eyed biological kiddos if you and your DH both have blue eyes. If your eyes are blue, then all you have is blue-eye genes. If you have any other color eyes, you could have blue-eye genes hiding behind more dominant browns, greens, etc.
Greens and hazels are more dominant than blue, but less dominant than brown.
If either parent has brown eyes, any eye color is possible.
What's highly improbable (but anomalies do happen) is for a pair of blue-eyed folks to have a baby with any color eyes other than blue.

DD1 and I have somewhat changeable eye colors. They're mostly blue, but they sometimes look more greenish, and sometimes look more greyish. I've never figured out what causes the change (weather? food? hydration? mood?), but I think it's neat.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#22 of 26 Old 07-14-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingfox View Post

DD1 and I have somewhat changeable eye colors. They're mostly blue, but they sometimes look more greenish, and sometimes look more greyish. I've never figured out what causes the change (weather? food? hydration? mood?), but I think it's neat.
We call those "mood ring eyes". My sister has them, and her husband jokes that if he comes home and she has green eyes, he knows he is in trouble.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#23 of 26 Old 07-14-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
We call those "mood ring eyes". My sister has them, and her husband jokes that if he comes home and she has green eyes, he knows he is in trouble.
Hehe- I knew I was in big trouble as a kid if my dad's eyes were bright green. Mine are blue/grey... unless I have been crying, then they are green/blue. My kiddos all have very blue eyes- but Asher's are still very dark.

Gage:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1189421398

Alena (doing her best Elvis impersonation with a guitar):

Asher:

Momma to G 12/06 A 2/09, AND ANNOUNCING... Welcome big boy! A 5/10/10 9 lbs 10 oz! We and had our 3rd UP/UC!
#24 of 26 Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 AM

Henry's appear to be pretty light
Mine are hazel/brown and dp's are sort of light blue/green/hazel?? Ds1 has hazel but a quarter of one eye is brown. Ds2 has chocolately brown eyes and golden blond hair. I have a sister with bright blue eyes and blond hair, so it's possible Henry could have lighter/blue eyes. His hair seems to be oging light too, but he's got my olive skin. Very handsome if you ask me

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#25 of 26 Old 07-15-2010, 02:54 PM

my husband is 1/2 half italian. he has dark brown. his mom is full italian w/ dark brown, and his dad has blue.

i have blue, from my one green and one brown-eyed parents.

charlie's are blue, not cloudy at all, with a dark blue ring around the outside (like becky's, ivy)

but dr. sears says they can change up to 2 yrs! i hope charlie keeps the blue, they go so nicely w/ his red hair

poor daddy can't get a break from the paternity test jokes

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#26 of 26 Old 07-16-2010, 01:15 AM

My 2 older dds were both born with brown eyes. Dh's eyes are brown and mine are blue. Dd3 was born with grey/blue eyes. They haven't changed yet. I'm hoping for blue this time. Although, my other two dd's are always getting comments about how beautiful their eyes are as they are SUPER dark brown.

Mama to 3 lovely home learning, nature loving girls read.gif(10), fairy.gif(7), fly-by-nursing1.gif (3).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page