Weekly thread, July 25 - Aug 1 - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 174 Old 07-30-2010, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just want to say how proud I am of Mercy for being such a self healing bad@$$. She conquered invisible pneumonia AND invisible brain damage all in the same week! MY BABY IS THE BEST BABY EVARRR!!!!!

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#152 of 174 Old 07-30-2010, 10:42 PM

somebody make my husband stop whistling.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#153 of 174 Old 07-30-2010, 11:14 PM

Dear Rhi's Husband,

STOP WHISTLING!!!

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#154 of 174 Old 07-31-2010, 12:31 AM

I passed up the chance to get my records easily from the midwives. I was happy with how the birth went so I figured if I had he records I'd just obsess about it. I do have a couple sets of our prenatal records for our scrapbook.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#155 of 174 Old 07-31-2010, 01:10 AM

Is this really the end?! I'm feeling so sad that our little club is breaking up (or, well, moving, to LWAB). I feel like I have so much else to share/ ask/ wonder with you ladies. But I also have baby brain and am exhausted so I guess it must not be that important!
Mostly I want to assure you all that I'm ok. This has been the place where I've really let my fears/ whining/ worries/ joys/ questions pour out with very little editing, so thank you all for tolerating that. The past months have been awful, and wonderful, and so confusing, and humbling, and teaching.
I am loving this girl and understanding her more and more each day. She is the best thing I have ever had in my life, and it astounds me daily that we "made" her... I'm not religious but I do believe that there is no way we could've consciously put together someone so wonderful, that she came to my body fully who she is, and I am so blessed to be the mama that received her!

So, hopefully the paxil is starting to work, or maybe I am just cutting myself some more slack right now, who knows. It's still a very bumpy road here but I just keep asking for help more and more, even when I feel humiliated and angry and frustrated and sad, and it's all because I want so badly to be fully present and functional with my daughter. I know we're on the right track and just have to keep patient all around. I had to deal with an unhappy client today, which hurt, and bummed me out, but did NOT make me think the terrible thoughts that I know it could've before. The miracle of this baby is that she's teaching me how to take care of myself fully - it's a steep learning curve, but I'm gettin there!

Lots of anxiety and sadness still, but also lots of chubby-baby-cuddles. I cannot believe how quickly she's growing! Those first few stressful weeks are definitely fading into the past... in the first months of her life, if you had asked me if I wanted to have any more babies, I would have started crying probably . Now the answer is still, probably not, but I'm less vehement about insisting DH get a vasectomy before I start getting baby fever!

I love how her little voice finds new sounds daily and how she turtle-raises her head up to look me in the eye when I have her on my tummy now. I love how much joy I bring to her, and how it just multiplies between us when we cuddle and play and nurse.

I am still conflicted about breastfeeding with paxil, although it's supposed to be safe, but I am proud that we are still BFing with great success after so many roadblocks.

I know that I will miss this baby age BUT I am so excited to continue to watch Symphony grow and develop into the person that she is, I can hardly wait for each new age.

It's my birthday this Sunday, seems like that's when the DDC is coming down but I hope this sense of peace stays with me.

Much love to you all and your families! Thank you for everything and see you on the LWAB side.
#156 of 174 Old 07-31-2010, 11:24 AM

JSH - I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better!

LNF -Mercy is a total #$% kicker, good for her!

JenFL - UGH! How annoying! Doesn't that just make you want to smack the doctor and say " I Tried to come in a month ago!"

AFM - We're trying NCSS here, as T has regressed to waking every single sleep cycle to nurse. He's clearly not getting enough sleep, due to that and his refusal to take naps. I'm completely stressed out about the sleep issue, but at least I have a plan now with NCSS. His nap cycles are 30 min instead of 45, which means I'm rushing up there to try to get him back to sleep constantly. Last night we did the whole bedtime routine for the first time and we could NOT get him to go to sleep. He finally fell asleep in the Mei Tai at 8ish, but then wouldn't make it through that awakening. So we put him in bed, and I tried to nurse him. It took me AN HOUR to get him to sleep. I was in tears at least twice. It didn't help that our AC BROKE!! And I was afraid to swaddle him since it was so hot, but I had to eventually. He was in a diaper and just an Aden and Anais thin swaddle blanket, but he still sweat horribly.

Momma to born April 18, 2010!
#157 of 174 Old 07-31-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
somebody make my husband stop whistling.
OMG, my DH does that too. *stabby*

DH has been a whiny butt all weekend and he's ruining these few gorgeous days by being off by himself doing what he wants around the yard while I sit and deal with the kids (like I do ALL WEEK and have to get work done WITH them around). It's gorgeous, I'd like to go spend some family time, and instead he's off mowing the bank and trimming the bushes while DS whines that he wants to watch TV and I nurse the baby. GRRRRR.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#158 of 174 Old 07-31-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveneverfails View Post
I just want to say how proud I am of Mercy for being such a self healing bad@$$. She conquered invisible pneumonia AND invisible brain damage all in the same week! MY BABY IS THE BEST BABY EVARRR!!!!!

don't you know they are using your baby and many others to prove that medical doctors can in fact perform miracles?!!! i'm sure one day your medical records will be called on to show all the world that DOCTORS KNOW EVERYTHING and can PERFORM MIRACLES....(please hold while i stop laughing so hard i cry and can see again).....

we had some BAD teething last night! 101 fever, sneezing, snotty nose, runny eyes, cranky, tired. he was up/down all night long and i didn't get to "sleep" until 2:30 and i had to nurse him all night long pretty much when he could breath and he would pop on and off all night, snuffling and wiggling. oy i'm tired.
#159 of 174 Old 07-31-2010, 03:44 PM

the appointment with the kidney Dr. was ok..
things still didn't make sense, but I guess it does sort of?
So as for the reflux of the bladder/kidneys, they don't want to jump to surgery because there is a 50% chance it will heal on it's own. Although he does have it bad and it is on both sides. So the plan is to do a VCUG every 6 months and if it has not healed on it's own by 5, they will do surgery so he won't have to be on antibiotics forever..however, antibiotics till 5?
as far as the chronic kidney disease, his kidneys right now are functioning properly. It is bicarbon levels that were extremely low...still don't understand what that means? But he said right now it is a wait and see? He is too young to do anything...soooo basically I left with no more answers and no resolutions.
records on the way....I do love this kidney Dr...he is very kind and caring and compassionate. He was pretty ticked off at the ER Dr., but shouldn't I know these things?

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#160 of 174 Old 07-31-2010, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

My kids are cracking each other up. DD is spinning in a yellow balloon in circles, making Sprout laugh and laugh, which makes DD laugh.

Last night they were playing some game where Sprout knocked bug toys off the table, DD cried, "You went bugs!", and put the bug back on the table. Repeat endlessly.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#161 of 174 Old 07-31-2010, 04:27 PM

I want to cry right now.

A friend of mine submitted our name to The Schuyler Blanket Project and we just got a beautiful blanket in the mail this afternoon.

I don't think I had the chance to mention it, but I wear a brown scapular, and I had worn the same one throughout my pregnancy with Mercy and Nicholas. I took it off after Mercy's birth, and put it in her NICU bed, and left it there during the 3 hours that I took a nap that day, after being up all night. When I came back, it had somehow managed to go missing. That was probably the best nurse we had the whole experience but somehow she misplaced it while giving Mercy a bath, and it was gone forever.

But now I have this blanket to remember Nicholas by and to share with Mercy so that she can remember him, too. I feel very, very loved.

#162 of 174 Old 07-31-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, quiet time. DH is still asleep, Sprout is down for his last nap of the day, and DD has been convienced to hang out in her bedroom with a bunch of stuffed friends, a book, and an audiobook.

And I've cut up some strawberries and melted together chocolate chips and heavy cream. Yum!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#163 of 174 Old 07-31-2010, 07:13 PM

that sounds like so much fun to see jen! the kids do sometimes get r to laugh but he still doesn't quite have the oomph to get it out all the time...or he just doesn't think everything is ALL that funny.
#164 of 174 Old 07-31-2010, 07:20 PM

LNF, that is so sweet. I had to google brown scapular.

Tomorrow we're going to see the lice 911 lady in town for an assessment and lessons. Worst $150 I'll ever spend just to save my vanity. Last ditch attempt before I shave my head (only half kidding). I've been in tears today because were still finding lice and nits and hubbies work is coming for BBQ. I feel so disgusting. Been keeping my hair pulled up tight.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#165 of 174 Old 07-31-2010, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Have we seen Dena recently?

#166 of 174 Old 07-31-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew_crafty_girl View Post
LNF, that is so sweet. I had to google brown scapular.

Tomorrow we're going to see the lice 911 lady in town for an assessment and lessons. Worst $150 I'll ever spend just to save my vanity. Last ditch attempt before I shave my head (only half kidding). I've been in tears today because were still finding lice and nits and hubbies work is coming for BBQ. I feel so disgusting. Been keeping my hair pulled up tight.
I've never had lice, but it doesn't sound fun s I don't think anyone would blame you, it's not like its your fault. Hopefully the lady will be able to help you.

J sees a developmental team because his Dr. assessed him and said his delay puts him back to what a 1 month old should be doing...I think he is that of a 2-3month baby, but I guess that's just me.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#167 of 174 Old 07-31-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
Have we seen Dena recently?
on FB...today is her anniversary!

TTC #3

#168 of 174 Old 08-01-2010, 01:16 AM

Long time, no update. Now that the baby is actually here, there is not as much time for the internet. YKWIM.

DD2 is doing GREAT. She is HUGE. Not v chunky, but just big in general. I swear, she was never a tiny wrinkly newborn. She has just always been a baby. Such a great personality. No laughing yet, but she smiles all the time & is so content, just chilling in our arms. Started playing in her baby gym last week & she can pull her binky out herself. She is working on putting it back in, but not v much luck there. Slept thru the night for about a week then hit 12-wk sleep regression & that stopped. Sleeping fitfully now. Not horrible or anything, but not as great as she had been. She is mostly in he crib, partly in our bed.

Having two this time around is just a dream. I seriously have the most laid-back kids ever. Well, dd1 is a pip, but in a vivid outstanding way. DD1 just adores dd2 and likes to snuggle her. Not always the most gentle one, but she means well. We have all been hanging out and enjoying each other's company this summer. Our neighbors were out of the country for a month and lent us their car, so that was nice having access to a car every day. We also picked all of their berries and peas while they were gone, haha! That has been dd1's favorite activity of the summer.

I am going to make sure to check in here more often again. I do think about you ladies a lot & have really enjoyed sharing this journey together! I know that some of you did the bead swap. I'll have to look and see if the thread saying who gave what bead is still available. If you did the swap, which bead did you send? I sent the flat red ones that kind of look like hearts. They made me think of hearts & they also looked like placentas. My beads are still sitting in a bowl on our china cabinet w/ the little card that says, "Believe, Breath, Birth". I'm still not sure what I am going to do w/ them. I know I'm saving them for dd2 & I'd like to make them into something for her. What have you done w/ yours?

Sara, I'm w/ you. I am open to trying just about any new crunchy parenting or lifestyle thing, so I fit in v well on MDC. You wouldn't know it to come to our house, and we do love junk food, but, yeah, we are weirdos I usually skip all the food threads b/c, well, damn I love sugar (and so does dd1!)! I love that I have learned so v much more about natural living from MDC.

I, too, would be v interested to see my medical records from dd2's birth. I saw them from dd1's birth & they were pretty boring (scheduled c-section, yawn). I do remember the m/w going to the computer a lot and typing a good bit. Probably, "Will this B ever stop screaming? Damn, girl, get the drugs already."

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#169 of 174 Old 08-01-2010, 01:38 AM

watched Shutter Island with DH tonight - I'm not going to give it away but for those who've seen it, not a good movie to watch postpartum right?? I wish we hadn't rented it.

Went outside to play with DD1 earlier today and there was a husky across the street with a collar and leash still attached. No tags, so I took him up to the humane society to drop off in their emergency pen. Of course I couldn't get the dog to go in the cage so I decided to tie him up to the fence outside as the next best option. Get him all set up with food and water, getting ready to leave and I spot a kitten stuck in the fence! Manage to get him rescued and in a cage, then finally get to go back home. Crazy animal rescues today!

Baby hasn't been sleeping well here lately. We've gone from an 8 hour stretch followed by 2-3 hour stretches to a 4-5 hour stretch followed by hourly or 1/2 hourly wakings. Needless to say I'm tired. Amazing what a difference sleep makes in your daily attitude/life.

Hugs to all those who need them today, seems like a lot of us.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#170 of 174 Old 08-01-2010, 08:30 AM

Dogreto we like some junk food too, despite all of our "crunchy" ways. I just had a chocolate chip cookie for breakfast. At least it was home made with organic flour and raw sugar, right?

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#171 of 174 Old 08-01-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
Dogreto we like some junk food too, despite all of our "crunchy" ways. I just had a chocolate chip cookie for breakfast. At least it was home made with organic flour and raw sugar, right?
The organic-icity cancels out the calories. Really.

OK not really but that's what I tell myself when I grab another brownie...

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#172 of 174 Old 08-01-2010, 12:31 PM

You know, all this talk about medical records has me wondering how on earth I'd go about getting the ones from DD1's birth? I didn't know until recently that her current doctor doesn't have them.
She had a homebirthing doctor, who retired shortly after she was born. The doctor ran a birth center, and it was headed by another doctor after my doctor retired, but now that doctor also has retired and the birth center is closed.
I can probably look up her doctor online, but I don't know if she'd have kept them, or if she'd have passed them to the next doctor, or if they were passed down to the midwives who worked at the birth center and now work independently..?
It was 9 years ago. Does anyone know how long a doctor/office is legally required to keep records?

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#173 of 174 Old 08-01-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogretro View Post

I am going to make sure to check in here more often again. I do think about you ladies a lot & have really enjoyed sharing this journey together! I know that some of you did the bead swap. I'll have to look and see if the thread saying who gave what bead is still available. If you did the swap, which bead did you send? I sent the flat red ones that kind of look like hearts. They made me think of hearts & they also looked like placentas. My beads are still sitting in a bowl on our china cabinet w/ the little card that says, "Believe, Breath, Birth". I'm still not sure what I am going to do w/ them. I know I'm saving them for dd2 & I'd like to make them into something for her. What have you done w/ yours?
Mine are on some thread. My friend went to the gift shop at the hospital and bought the thread and threaded them for me while I was in labor. They sat on the little rolling table the whole time. I am not sure what to do with them, either. But, you've given me the good idea that they should belong to DD. I am planning, when she turns one, to buy a nice ring or necklace or something for her, to put in a safe deposit box for when she turns 16 (or 18, or something). My mom did that for me, and I love it. Maybe I'll do something similar with the birth beads, but for more like her 10th birthday or something. Sometime when she'll be old enough to sort of understand, but young enough to think some beads are a cool gift! For now I think I'll put them in her baby book (it has a pocket for trinkets).

AFM- L is still asleep. at 11:30. I think she's finally sleeping off her cold. The last couple of nights have been rough with her popping off of my nipple because she can't breathe, and then trying to latch back on, over and over. And both nights she's gotten to the point where she was panicking because she couldn't breathe. Watching my four month old panic is NOT fun. Night before last I sat with her in the bathroom with the shower on hot steaming it up. And then suctioned her nose, which made her ANGRY. This morning I just sent DH for the snot sucker bulb and that seemed to do the trick. After all that, she could finally breathe, so she fell back asleep and let me sleep until 10:30, and now she's still asleep. I hope she's finally feeling better.

Last night I went out for fun without L for the first time. The MDC mamas from our area had a moms' night out. They had it at a restaurant near my house specifically so I could go. I didn't want to go too far away. It was a BLAST. Good beer, good fun.

ETA: DogRetro- I sent the round bead that is blue frosted with little circles of unfrosted. Someone else sent the same bead, too. I sent mine because I had wanted a star bead for my user name, but couldn't fine one, so I chose that one because it reminded me of earth.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#174 of 174 Old 08-01-2010, 12:44 PM

dogretro, I sent the orange and red square bead. I'm hoping to make all of your beads into wind chimes I can hang in her room.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page