Weekly thread, July 25 - Aug 1 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2010, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Possibly our last weekly thread in here?

I can tell our babies are getting older -- there's less overnight posting.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 10:39 AM

LOL Jen...

hmm - well i wish i could say it was only a few days Dani has been nursing side laying better, but its been her fav position since birth, but even more when things are on the go. i am trying not to worry. in a few weeks she'll be bottlefed most days anyway so most of our nursing will be side lying anyway - and knowing my luck whe'll probably reverse cycle too!

oh did i mention i found a good DCP for her. She only does infant care becuase its her fav stage and she only takes 1-2 infants, so she will ave lots of special attention! and I found a FT preschool for DS. the preschool is a mix of Raye, Montessori, Reggio Emilio styles. They also take infants, but it was more $$ than the 1-1 care, so I'll make the drive to drop her off separate. DS starts in 2 weeks, I just got the call Friday that he was of the waiting list. Such a load off my shoulders!

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
Old 07-25-2010, 11:30 AM

Last night sucked.

Cecilia had bad gas, and we were up and out of bed 3 times, getting something like 1.5-2 hours of sleep between each time. It was like having a newborn again. I really hope it was a one shot deal, because I am so exhausted today.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Old 07-25-2010, 12:24 PM

I have a cold and I think my sinuses might explode. DD1 had it and was sick for like 2 days. I'm on day 2, maybe I'll magically be better tomorrow? Going to hibernate now...with my angry baby...

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 07-25-2010, 01:57 PM

I've had a rough couple nights as well. Rowena has not slept well at all. Last night she slept okay for about three hours and then nursed off and on for like two hours. Thanks be for

Off to a WW meeting in about a half hour. I'm thinking of bringing R this time. My mom goes to the same meeting so she can hold her while I weigh in. Hopefully I lost a little this week. I have NOTHING to wear and no money to buy anything. I have a TON of clothes that I can't wear. Sigh.

R continues to adore her jumper toy. She squeals and bounces away. The older girls love it too and play with her the whole time she's sitting there. She feels so much older this week. She's been playing with toys, and interacting more with the other kids. I feel like she dosen't need to be on me as much. I've gotten a lot done around the house. It's both sad and wonderful at the same time.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
J hasn't let me put him down, he screams and screams if I do..oy
We see a private LC tomorrow and I am EXCITED. They are suppose to be the best, so we'll see. I have to pay for this one, but on a sliding scale. The other LC I have been seeing is the sucky hospital one and it's insurance.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
Old 07-25-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

GTG -- can you link to the jumper? I'd like to think about getting one.

Ericka -- good luck with the LC!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 07-25-2010, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
thank you Jen
I am really hopeful by seeing this one

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
Old 07-25-2010, 03:31 PM

jenfl, thanks for the new thread . they JUST closed march, don't you think we have a few weeks? will they warn us before they shut the thread down?

carita, that's great news! so glad you have situations for your kids you feel really good about.

gtg, i wanted to say congrats on your husband getting that job! seems like another move right now would be so hard. hopefully the job will be not as scary as it sounds. you guys will be so busy come fall, but i know having less money worries has to be such a weight off.

jess, s as you decide what course to take with treating your PPD and breastfeeding.

eta: ericka, on the LC tomorrow!

s for those of you who are sick/not getting enough sleep!

afm, charlie is 4 months today!!! he's so huge (to me) now, probably 13 -14 lbs. i want to measure his length today. he's almost rolling over too, and it's seriously messing with his sleep! when he's sleepy, and sometimes when he wakes up in the night, he is SO wiggly now! makes it harder to put him down for naps... yesterday he at least slept a total of 4 hrs during the day though, better than his 1 1/2 - 2 lately

last night, he slept from 8:30 to 4am, and that's with a move from in-laws to home at around 11pm! that's 7 1/2 hrs! longest stretch yet

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:44 PM

I sold a painting!!
Of course, I sold it for less than 1/4 what it was appraised by the gallery owner of the last place I had a showing, but I still made a small profit, so I'm happy anyway.
I've done logos and couple commission pieces before, but this was the first piece of my own personal expression that someone actually paid for.

I'm not counting on making a living by painting, but if I can make enough to finance my art supplies and buy myself the occasional carton of ice cream, I'll be happy.

In other news, I've been wearing DD2 in the mei tai in a back carry, and she really seems to be digging it. It makes me a little nervous still, so I only do it when DH is around, so he can check on her, since I can't really look at her. She's been falling asleep pretty quickly that way.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
Old 07-25-2010, 04:48 PM

laughingfox - what a big deal!! really!! congrats!

p&h - the preschool was more than I would have liked to spend. $ is still tight and will be for a while until we recover from this hell of a housing market, but DH and I talked about it and he really wanted a great learning place for DS. and it is. All in all its cheaper than most of those types of private preschools, but still more $$ than home care. But I'm happy he'll be well taken care of I think, and hopefully make new friends now that we've moved.

bouncer/jumpy - I have this one from DS and I just cleaned it up today for DD. She was looking like such a big girl! she need a chemistry book still to reach the ground, but she was reaching for toys... *sniffle* It's a big hit with her!

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
Old 07-25-2010, 04:51 PM

Our DVD player broke, so now we're using it under L in the jumper. Might as well get some use out of it

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 07-25-2010, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

I was keeping an eye on Sprout via video monitor as he was going down for his nap.... one minute, he's on his stomach where I left him... glance back and he's on his side... glance again and he's on his back! His first solo roll!

He just laid there, eyes open, for a while, seemingly kinda stunned and surprised. Then he started to fuss.

I'd really, really hoped he'd learn back to front first so that he wouldn't get stuck on his back like that at night!

Old 07-25-2010, 06:14 PM

It's probably cruel of me to say that Becky slept in her crib from 12-6am this morning, and then DH brought her to our bed, and let us sleep for another 4 hours while he got up with the big girls, right? How about if I tell you that my four year old still wakes up 3-4 times a night consistently? Or that my two year old JUST outgrew the need to have someone rub her feet as she falls asleep. A baby who just.. sleeps.. is weird.

I'm really feeling good lately. The fog has lifted, so to speak. I still lose my cool occasionally, but I think they are reasonable times, and it isn't an all day struggle not to scream and scream over tiny things. I'm so afraid of jinxing it though... we'll see.

LF - YAY For art selling! It is a huge deal! I've had a few poems published, and the first time someone paid me for words it was a huge validation that what I was doing had worth - not just worth in a "the world needs art" kind of way, but monetary WORTH. It's a big deal. i hope you can celebrate.

Ericka - Oh I hope this LC can help you two.

GTG - :fngersx that WW's starts showing some benefits. I've been buying garage sale clothes lately, especially skirts with elastic waists. I found a box of clothes from last year that had been lost in the garage, and was so thrilled to "have more options!", until i tried them on. Ugh. Not impressed with this new body. Trying to be loving towards it, because it grew babies (blah blah blha) but I'd realllllly like to have a pair of jeans that didn't cut off the circulation to my legs.

Carita - that is wonderful news about finding school/DCP for your kiddos. I can't imagine the stress of it all.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 PM

Jen: Here's the one my mom got us: http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-P...0102378&sr=1-1 . It was cheaper at Walmart.

Erica: Hoping that this new LC can help! Sounds promising.

LF: Congratulations on the painting. That is a HUGE deal. Have you considered a FB page for the paintings? I have a few friends who do that.

Ivy: The WW is working slowly. Eventually I'll be able to wear something. I need to hit some lawn sales but that would involve me getting up early.
And as for sleep, I am so jealous. I have never had a baby who slept hours like that. Rowena is a good sleeper but the most she gives me is 6 hours and that's not an everyday thing. My girls still wake me up. At least U sleeps better on this meds.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:32 AM

laughingfox, congrats!

Ericka, good luck!

Ivy, glad you're feeling better.

All is good here. Nomi was 3mo today.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carita View Post
had a long day today with my son's bday party. baby girl won't nurse well in any position except laying down. Anyone else every encountered this problem?
Oh my Goodness Yes!!! DD1 would only nurse lying down from 8-12 months. It was/is my fave nursing position and it got to the point where she just would. not. nurse. any other way. To the point where we'd have to go home if we were out somewhere without a bed for more than 3 hours just so the kid would eat. I nursed that kid in just about every single relative's and friend's bed. Talk about awkward conversations - "Ummm, can I go nurse my baby in your bed please?" We took a trip to Disneyworld for her 1st birthday and I was terrified that she wouldn't nurse at all and wean while we were there. Instead that's what finally broke her and got her to nurse in other postions again. She was scared/overstimulated by so many of the rides that all she wanted to do was nurse. I swore I wouldn't get into the habit of side lying with my next kid so it wouldn't happen again, but that quickly went out the window.

GTG - I'm also doing WW and it is also slowly working, it would work better if I stopped cheating so much. I've got 4 pairs of shorts now - 1 maternity one, two cheapy pairs from walmart and my "fat" pair from PP that used to be super huge and baggy and that I can now just barely button, but hey they fit. Hoping to fit into my "fat" jeans by fall so I don't have to buy more.

Just got back from a weekend at friends. Tired and I have to pack lunch for tomorrow and get up again at 7:30 for swim lessons. Plan for tomorrow - swim lessons, go to health dept and get DD2's birth certificate, go to music class, meet friend at pool for afternoon, wait for DH to get home - leave kids with him, go to grocery store, library and swing out to friend's farm 15 miles away to pick up milk. Pack home, eat dinner, DH leaves to go to work dinner, put kids to bed alone and then finally rest. I'm exhausted just thinking about it!

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
Old 07-26-2010, 02:12 AM

LF - yay!! Selling stuff you made is awesome, and so validating, rad!

We are experimenting with the Ergo since everything else makes S mad or hurts my back. I wish there was a better face-out option! But she seems to be getting used to the Ergo and I hope to try her on the back soon, as soon as DH feels comfortable spotting me.

Sleeping - I'm trying to be grateful for what we get. Hopefully naps are indeed improving and night will be back on track soon. I don't know what I'm eating these past 2 days that's giving me terrible gas pains but I think DD has them too. This morning I could hear and feel her gas rumbling around, sounded like a thunderstorm in there! So we're not sleeping well, I wonder what it could be...

Borrowed a friend's jumper, she's much too small but I put some cookbooks underneath her feet and though she didn't jump, she loved standing up in there and it led to better naps later. So cute!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the congrats everyone! I'm super psyched.

My DH was washing dishes yesterday, with DD2 on his back in the mei tai, wearing a kilt and boots. I wish I got a picture. It was so darn adorable.

You know, whenever we get free time together, we spend it cleaning house, but the house somehow still manages to not be clean.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:38 AM

Congratulations, Laughing Fox!!!

And yeah houses never stay clean. I clean a lot, and it seems like no matter what I do, it's on its way back to trainwreck within 6 hours.

AFM: I'm trying to pray and center myself, because I am probably going to get a call back from the hospital today. I've got my notes typed out so that I don't forget anything (they also did Mercy's hearing screen before she finished her course of a medication that can damage hearing.) Here's hoping...

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:02 PM

What I don't understand is why I can never keep our house clean when all I have is one non-mobile baby. Sigh.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Our house has been SO MUCH cleaner since we started a Motivated Moms-inspired checklist system. I didn't want to spend the $7 for her system, and I wanted something that followed our weekly rhythms and gave us some flexibility, so I made up something similar. It's been fabulous for us!

We're right at a year since my nausea started kicking in, and I'm having, like shadows of it. I keep getting bursts of faint nausea out of nowhere.

And NO I'm NOT pregnant. No birth stool for me!

Old 07-26-2010, 12:09 PM

Jen, can you tell me more? Maybe something organized like that would help me (and help my husband actually chip in more).

Old 07-26-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
Jen, can you tell me more? Maybe something organized like that would help me (and help my husband actually chip in more).
Sure! You can see it here:

http://tinyurl.com/2c5vqlh

Basically, there's some tasks we do every day. There's some we do each week. And then there's some 2 and 4 week tasks that we can choose when to do, depending on when they fit into our lives.

When we started, there were some things that we couldn't get finished easily (like cleaning the pass-through). So for a few weeks, those tasks just meant "spend some time cleaning the pass through". After a couple weeks, it was done, and we could just maintain!

Old 07-26-2010, 12:17 PM

Yeah, I wanna hear more, too!

Edit: I guess I should have just waited a minute.
Thanks for sharing!

Edit again: I love how it starts on Tuesday, so I can procrastinate for the rest of today.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it starts Tuesday because that's how DH's schedule works. I arranged the schedule so there's more tasks when we're both home, less on days when it's just me.

I print out a page with 4 of the everyday cycles, then the rest of it. The schedule then lasts us a month.

Feel free to copy and alter! It'll work best if you make it work for you.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:44 PM

We have a cleaning schedule like that too! I haven't been keeping up with it lately though. It's so hard to get started once you're behind--you have to clean like crazy and get all caught up, then it's very very easy to quickly maintain it.

I have a daily list of stuff that we should get done every single day and a list of chores for each day of the week. (Some of these things I only do every other week or as needed, like clean out the trash can.) Each day has a different "zone" to focus on like bathrooms one day, kitchen one day, etc. Before I got pregnant this last time I used these two lists and kept my house so clean!

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 07-26-2010, 01:33 PM

we have a similar schedule AND a pretty rainbow chart.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Old 07-26-2010, 01:45 PM

We started a cleaning schedule back before Cecilia came, but it became really obvious really quickly that I was doing pretty much everything on it except cleaning the litter boxes (which I now do again ) and taking out the trash/recycling. That bummed me out, so I stopped wanting to look at the chart. Maybe it's time to try it out again...

Old 07-26-2010, 02:17 PM

http://www.greenbabybargains.com has amber necklaces today. Anyone who already has one want to tell me what length they have? I was thinking about buying one anyhow, and this seems like a good deal (let me know if you think it's not)

Thanks!

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .

User Tag List