Weekly thread, Aug 1-8 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2010, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry snoopy.... that really sucks.

Well, today begins my short term as a single mom. DH leaves mid-morning and is back Sunday afternoon. I'm trying to have a schedule set out for us so that we've always got something to do next, even if it's just normal stuff (storytime, Target run, etc).

How's everyone who was having sleep difficulty doing?

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 PM

I totally don't want to jinx it, but Cecilia's been sleeping well again the past couple of nights. We've been getting up around 5 or 5:30 again instead of 2. She's currently sacked out in her swing, head thrown back and mouth open. It's so stinkin' adorable.

Jen, my husband will be out of town for 3 days next week, so I know how you feel. It's probably easier for us since I only have Cecilia, but it's still hard to sleep without papa in bed at night.

Cecilia is 4 months old today. How the heck did this happen?? I can't believe how big she's getting. She loves rolling over both ways, and now prefers to stand over sitting. She's been playing a LOT in her jolly jumper (the doorway hanging kind) and thinks it's the coolest thing ever. I love this baby SOOOOOOOO much!! :

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Old 08-06-2010, 12:23 PM

My house needs to get cleaned, and I don't want to. We're going away this weekend, so I need to get everything done today so that I'm not screwed going into next week.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:40 PM

GTG - yay for syllabus - i haven't started that yet... *bag over head*... and classes start on the 30th. But in my defense I am trying to make a deadline on Monday to finish something for my advisor... which i should be working on right now. try a little bum cram in the neck foold after you clean it. i find the wet drool + moistness is a yeast problem and causes the rawness, so I put a litle salve on it with GSE and TTO in it.

erika - yay about the chiro/nursing!!

LNF - that pic sounds great!

nikki - LOL on the weight gain. i feel the same way right now! though our new apt is 2 story, so I am hoping that flight of stairs will help LOL

AFM - here are some giggles from my sweet girl

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
Old 08-06-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Flying solo so far not much different than normal, working-DH weekends. It's a shame DD has picked today to be contrary, but whatcha going to do?

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 08-06-2010, 06:53 PM

Why will my child not nap?!?! I've been laying here with him, nursing on and off in a darkened room for almost 2 hours. He napped for 10 minutes. If I let him get up he'll be cranky and screamy in short order, we tried that yesterday. He's yawning and his eyes keep closing, only to jerk them open shortly after. I'm going slowly insane.

NCSS has helped bedtime, which is amazing, really. But she stresses how important naps are, and I k ow from personal experience that my life is living @&$! If T does not nap enough. I just can't fight with him anymore. I can only bounce on the ball with him in the Mei Tai for so long. If I stop, he wakes up. Insane I tell you.

DH is off for the night to a bachelor party. He's cutting it short to come home tomorrow, which is nice. (can you hear the sarcasm?) he is really ticking me off. He can see me struggling and we have talked about it. Somehow he only manages to cause me more stress. Have to go T is complaining loudly. While not napping.

Momma to born April 18, 2010!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carita View Post
GTG - yay for syllabus - i haven't started that yet... *bag over head*... and classes start on the 30th. But in my defense I am trying to make a deadline on Monday to finish something for my advisor... which i should be working on right now. try a little bum cram in the neck foold after you clean it. i find the wet drool + moistness is a yeast problem and causes the rawness, so I put a litle salve on it with GSE and TTO in it.

erika - yay about the chiro/nursing!!

LNF - that pic sounds great!

nikki - LOL on the weight gain. i feel the same way right now! though our new apt is 2 story, so I am hoping that flight of stairs will help LOL

AFM - here are some giggles from my sweet girl
Haha, I just tried to watch that with Symphony and she FREAKED OUT when you made the raspberry sounds. Screaming crying. Am I bad to find that hilarious?! (she did just wake from a nap)

LOVE the giggles!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:19 PM

rofl jess - i had that on my dad's phone & she was crying in the car, so i let her watch it and she stopped crying. like a little miracle, then cried again after wacthing it 5 times and passed out almost immediately. so i think it made her happy to see herself. i didn't know other babies would find it offensive!

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
Old 08-06-2010, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

triony -- That sounds so rough. I wish I had a good suggestion. DD was a terrible napper, but we now know it was due to her reflux. He's not showing any signs of discomfort, right? Just hatred of nap? Since she wouldn't/couldn't nap laying down, we'd plop her in the Beco and go for long, nap-length walks (later, when neighborhood scouting for our new house, they turned into nap-length drives). She took nearly every nap in that Beco. She seriously WOULD NOT crib nap. Every kid is so different, though.

I have the CUTEST video of the kids laughing at each other. I'm just waiting waiting waiting for it to upload, then I'll stick up a link.....

Old 08-07-2010, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Ah! Finally!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/femgeek/4867167593/

Old 08-07-2010, 12:40 AM

I'll have to watch the videos tomorrow as I'm sitting in the rocking chair waiting for T to wake up at his usual 3 cycles from bedtime. He does actually seem hungry usually, though.
Today he proved me wrong and was practically a model citizen even though he barely napped. I tried to get him to bed early, but no dice. His bedtime has been getting steadily later all week.
What does PPD feel like? I'm having at least 2 crying jags a day here. Up till this week i was doing fine, new mom fine, but fine. Now I'm looking at my kid and flipping out because he won't nap and I can't get anything done. I love him, and he's amazing and I feel like I am not doing my job well enough. I'm not appreciating him, playing with him, etc. I'm glad I'm doing this instead of my old job, but man this is hard! Staying at home with him to try to figure out his nap schedule, only to not be able to get him to nap. Not socializing at night because right now I'm the only one who can get him to sleep, and he wakes up after 2 hours and i spend the entire time worrying that he'll wake up, so i don't even enjoy having people over. I know this is all temporary, at best till the NCSS helps us, at worst until he's a few months older. But this is HARD.
DH is supposed to take T all day on Sunday so i can relax. We'll see how that goes. DH is annoying me because he always wants to try to DTD when I know the timing is bad. He stresses me out, and i just feel like i have one more person depending on me whom I'm letting down. I've explained this to him but it doesn't seem to have sunk in.
. To make it all worse, I know I'm actually quite privileged. I have very little to complain about other than having a non-napping baby. (and mosquitoes and too hot for carrier weather ) Jen it's so hot and humid here it's not comfortable for me to take T for walks outside so i assume it's not comfy for him either. Dunno, though. What are the signs of reflux? Guess I need to look that up.

Man I am whiny lately, and i wrote a book. Hope you all have lovely weekends!
Edit: looks like T may have actually made it through this sleep cycle, just to prove me wrong. I know we are making progress, I just have NO patience. Bad mama!

Old 08-07-2010, 01:16 AM

Triony - sorry things are so rough! I know that my PPD made itself reallllly clear around week 4 or so, when DD stopped napping on her own (for more than 10 minutes anyway). One day I found myself rocking her in the dark for hours and hours and was just like, "this is not right!". When I WOULD get her to fall asleep (with me in bed) I was too anxious to sleep and started feeling like, "but she's going to wake up soon. Aaaagh!"
So I hope you're just going through a rough patch right now. It won't last forever! It'll change and hopefully for the better

My little one is asleep for her first sleep cycle of the night, but she allllways has to be resettled once the sun's down, no matter what I've tried. I'm just trying to go with it, since I tend to be a night owl and so keeping her to keep sleeping until 8am and beyond is a big help for me. Maybe one the days are shorter, she'll go down earlier? Never in my life have I wished for summer to be over before!

Good news on the hand-sucking front: most of today she managed to keep several fingers in her mouth for self soothing!! She has been SO freaking obsessed with this (not the fists, must be a few fingers, kept in there long enough to get sucking calm and enjoyment), so I'm glad to see some signs that she'll get the hang of it soon. At bedtime now she won't be swaddled so is still waking up a lot throughout the night trying to get her hands to her mouth, but that shows some signs of improvement, too.

So that almost makes up for the $900 unexpected car repair, AND the fact that the first time I ever in my life have hired a housecleaner (a friend), she only did a so-so job . I don't know what to expect, but I keep finding dust bunnies and other little skips/ "holidays" so, oh, well. Today's my day to waste money I guess!

Much better: cute video my mom took while watching DD as I was leaving for the doctor's appointment. So adorable!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Se98ZZ150Q
Old 08-07-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
I don't know how I do it. I just do.
Funny... that's what a friend whose daughter just turned 1 said to me today. Sigh. In a way, I think I have it way easier because I have so much flexibility and can be with my baby all of the time! But in another way... I'm with my baby all of the time, and can never seem to get any work done for more than 1/2 an hour at a time unless I hire help. So I'm working on that now, and in the meantime, my clients are probably getting frustrated. OH the USA, so much going for it, but not so much with the maternity leave and support.

Total gross red raw neck here, too. We try to keep it clean and dry but have to put some diaper cream on it every few days. Phew.

My MIL has been slathering herself in some god-awful perfume or perfume oil lately and then it gets all over the baby when she holds her . I like scent and do have a ridiculous perfume oil collection myself, but I try to keep it pretty low key when I put it on, and this is so bad I can literally taste it on myself after kissing the baby's head, even after her bad. I want to say something but don't know how...
Old 08-07-2010, 03:04 AM

ive been lurking recently and reading everyones posts

Erika, that's great! Ive been thinking about taking Molly to a chiro to be adjusted, she just seems uncomfortable a lot of the time, very squirmy and complains a ton when I feed her- and thats with a bottle of expressed milk.

Rhi just reading about your days working and dealing with a baby exhaust me, I thought I had it tough but at least I can bum around in my PJ's all day

AFM Molly had the DTaP shot this week. I was really, very hesitant to give it to her but DH and I decided that at nearly 4months we'd start her off with one and she has been whiny and off her food for 3 days, its been awful. Im very, very tempted to not get her anymore of that one, or at least wait a good few months!

Only 9 days until I leave for England my family finally get to meet Miss Molly!! Cannot wait! well...flying with a 2 year old, a baby and a husband will probably be pretty stressful-but the end result will be good!!

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
Old 08-07-2010, 08:16 AM

triony, so sorry about the napping! we're getting less and less in the nap world here too. i hear what you're saying about hot, and it may be a coincidence, but charlie stopped napping well when i quit walking with him in the early morning (done before 8) when it was bearable. it was the only time that was cool enough, and he'd sleep the whole time. i wonder if that one nap on me was helping him settle better for the day..... idk. we've been staying up so late working on the house that i haven't been up early enough to go. no exercise for me, no morning nap for charlie

thanks for the videos you guys! gorgeous, precious children. i'm so ready for charlie to giggle/laugh! he vocalizes a lot, all kinds of stuff, just not real laughing. hoping he's been saving it for my parents, who are coming TODAY to meet him for the first time (and staying for three weeks).

i too hired someone to clean our house yesterday (and thought she did a less thorough job than i do, but hey, i didn't have time). yes, i'm currently a SAHM with ONE baby, not an amazing WOHM with multiple kids. however, i can only do what i can do, and i keep trying to remember that. comparisons are odious, my mom taught me, and each of us has a specific, complicated set of circumstances...

ugh, why am i unable to go back to sleep when charlie has a great night? he slept from 9-4. i think when i sleep that long at once, my body is like great! we're done here! i hated getting out of bed but i was disturbing charlie.

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
oh you guys can't sleep
going through parenting plan/visitation/custody with Campbells dad.
We've been working together for 4 years perfectly fine till his new gf entered the picture.
Campbell came home saying she was mean one day..I don't know how much gf has been around her and if he is being honest..he says nothing happened and she is never around. Campbell keeps talking about dinner? She is 4 and it is hard to explain in great detail being 4.
It all made sense yesterday......
GF doesn't have her kids. I thought this to be odd, cause what mom doesn't see her kids let alone have them stay with her sometimes?
An attorney I spoke with suggested I get the public records of her divorce/parenting plan to see. WOW. just WOW. I ended up paying $90 for copies first of all. These papers are filled with abuse from her towards her 3 children and her stbxh. From instance to her striking her children in the face because they were too "loud" at dinner to hitting her because she was playing too loud.
When I read this, I got this nasty feeling in my stomach. Campbell is NOT quiet during dinner. She talks, she gulps, she smacks, laughs, burps...all things the stbxh mentioned the crazy gets upset over. The paperwork had a lot more info in it(many suicide attempts) and that C's dad has only known her since middle of Feb.(started dating after she checked out of being institutionalized)!!!! SERIOUS and he moved her in in May!!!!
Anyways, I am hoping that a judge would look at this and say NO WAY. I am praying one does atleast. She is allowed 3 hours supervised visits with her kids. No wonder she was at my doorstep on Father's Day with him saying they were going to take campbell and she would be her new mommy...she can't have her kids, so she wants MY child.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
Old 08-07-2010, 08:56 AM

erickalynne, i hope this is resolved pronto!!! can you keep campbell from visits until it is??

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

ericka -- I have no idea how that all works, but I really hope you can keep Campbell away from her.

bubbamommy -- Sprout doesn't have too much of a problem with DTaP (he just got a dose on Wednesday). The time he got Pneumococcal and HIB, he was definitely hurting immediately after and uncomfortable the rest of that day. We just kept him Tylenol'ed up and let him sleep as much as he wanted (nearly 3 hours for a nap!) and he was pretty much normal the next day. We're definitely going to Tylenol him beforehand this next dose. With DD, I could just nurse her after a shot and she'd pop up after, no problem. Since Sprout doesn't nurse for comfort, it's harder to get him to calm down after one that stings.

triony -- Have you tried some Fish Oil? That helped me with my PPD (once I recognized it at 6 months). But I didn't have it as bad as some. And can you take the emphasis off napping? Just try a day filled with things -- chores, outings, but all with him on you -- and see if and when he'll just nod off on your shoulder or in a carrier? That's what we did when we got frustrated about figuring out his schedule. Although Sprout's a pretty quiet tired baby, he won't scream and cry when exhausted.

AFM -- Rough night. I was up later than I should have been (empty house boogeymen), Sprout woke up for tons of feedings/resettlings, was up at 4:30am until 5:30am, and was up for the day early (6:30am). I just heard that my mom, my weekend backup, had a rough night, too. This day could be... interesting.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:33 AM

Cece has had a bad night. She woke up around midnight with gas pains and has been up about every 30 minutes since. She wants to sleep, I want to sleep, we're both miserable. She's back asleep on my lap now after a manual toot session; here's to hoping it was enough for her to stay asleep for a couple of hours at least. Sigh...

Old 08-07-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

ericka -- I keep thinking about your situation this morning. It REALLY sucks that your ex can't be trusted to pick a girlfriend who will be good to his daughter. That's just....

Old 08-07-2010, 12:18 PM

Ericka- that is just so scary!!!

We had a rough morning. L was tossing and turning all morning long, starting before the sun came up. At 7:30 I put her in the swing where she promptly fell asleep, and I went and told DH he had to go sleep on the couch so he could keep an eye on her, and that I was going to sleep in the bed.

So I got two hours of deep sleep and am now feeling rested.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 08-07-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
Cece has had a bad night. She woke up around midnight with gas pains and has been up about every 30 minutes since. She wants to sleep, I want to sleep, we're both miserable. She's back asleep on my lap now after a manual toot session; here's to hoping it was enough for her to stay asleep for a couple of hours at least. Sigh...
Have you tried Gripe Water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
ericka -- I keep thinking about your situation this morning. It REALLY sucks that your ex can't be trusted to pick a girlfriend who will be good to his daughter. That's just....
This is the 2nd time since I left him he has dated a psycho. This is the first certifiable one though. The first time he couldn't have cared less if he saw C or not...so he saw her at the mall or a park and they broke up when C was 2. Things were really good till new gf entered the picture. My daughter has NEVER kicked, screamed, bit, hit when going with her dad. She won't even go to him. When he calls, she repeats over and over "I don't want to see "her" daddy" over and over and over. The other day we was telling her to be quiet and stop saying it. I have no problems with him, I mean 4 years. I know she did something to campbell..I wish campbell could talk about it. We see a therapist on Tuesday. I want him to see her, I just wish he would ditch the gf at home. Last night he said to C "but she lives with me" and C said "I can't come over daddy, I just can't". She refuses to go with him. She holds onto me with dear life and is screaming crying. Today, I am going to video record what happens so I have proof.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
Old 08-07-2010, 02:17 PM

Oh yes, Erica....gripe water, both store bought and homemade, and gas drops, no effect from either. Might try some very weak chamomile tea next.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:35 PM

do you think it could be allergies? like something in the milk that could be doing it?

Old 08-07-2010, 02:37 PM

I think mainly it happens when we switch milk donors and she gets a new milk for the first time. It takes a few days for her body to adjust to the new milk. It's totally worth it, but it's a miserable few days each time.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Sprout was such a grumpy-pants today! DH is out of town, so my mom came over for a few hours midday. She and I ended up passing him back and forth, trying anything and everything to keep him happy for a few minutes. I'm hoping against hope that he sleeps better tonight.... but it's unlikely, considering that he's only been down for 45 minutes and he's tossing and turning already.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 PM

Ericka That's really awful, I'm so sorry to hear about ex's gf. Yikes. I'm really hoping you can get the judge on your side. Why can't he just leave the gf at home? Poor Campbell.

Thanks for the suggestions. Today we were out and about quite a bit, so there was nearly no napping, but at least T was happy. I was less stressed, but I can see how tired he is. The worst part is I lost track of time and we got home late, so his bedtime is delayed even more tonight. I will put fish oil back in. We discovered our bottle was expired by over a year, and so we tossed it. Normally I wouldn't, but I know oil does go bad. Have to get some more.

DH is going to take T all day tomorrow and do naps however he can. I'm so looking forward to the break. Not because I don't want T, but because I haven't been as good of a mom lately.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:15 AM

Erica: Sick. One would think that a judge would never let this woman around any children.

Tri: I'll second Jen's suggestion to try and get out with less focus on napping. The simple act of getting out can do wonders. Do you have some grown ups you can get out with? I need that adult time at least once a week or I go a little nuts. And I weave in and out of depression. Riding the hormone wave is what I call it.

We've had a rough couple of days. R has a cold and thus has NEON green poop which hurts her. Plus she's teething. She slept crappy for about three nights, and then last night slept for like six hours. I think she must be feeling better. I am leaking milk over at this point, pump, and then the crying starts. She refuses to nurse, won't settle down at all. She ended puking all over me three times. I finally managed to walk her to sleep (she SCREAMED until she finally dropped off). We went to a friend's house and she was pretty decent until the end. And then she screamed all the way home. Right now she's doing better so I hope we're at the end of whatever was bothering her. It's really not like her at all. It was so sad because she kept trying to smile between the screaming. She's a lovey for sure.

ETA: I spoke too soon. She's up and screaming.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:19 AM

Smiling between screaming breaks my heart! Ada does that too sometimes. I hope R feels better soon.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 08-08-2010, 10:29 AM

L says she can one up that. She smiles WHILE she's screaming sometimes. It's really an amazing talent.

Oh! And speaking of which- she laughed yesterday! I had heard a few things that seemed like the start of a laugh the other day. But yesterday she kept giggling over things. It was ADORABLE! She giggled every time I "spanked" her.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .

User Tag List