Weekly thread, Aug 8-15 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today was a big day for Kelsey - she turned 4 months old and she rolled back to belly for the first time and laughed for the first time!! She is growing soooo big....

So, our swing stopped swinging and I am annoyed. It is only 4 months old, and is not working - I put her in it and turn it on at it's highest speed, give it a push and within a minute it is only swinging like a 1/2 inch in each direction. I went to email fisher price tonight and they don't have that as an option! I have to call them tomorrow - because you know, moms have nothing better to do than call a customer service rep between 9 am and 5 pm.

Traveling - with DD1, we exclusively coslept until she was 14 months or so so we did a couple of different things - wearing her for naps, putting her on a blanket on the floor with or without pillows around, putting her on a bed with pillows around, putting her on a bed with kitchen chairs around to act as bedrails, and buying and traveling with a bedrail. At home we had a video monitor so I could watch her to see if she was moving and then we also bought a cheap twin mattress at Ikea that we put on our floor and she slept there (dropping the bed off the frame/box spring wasn't an option for us, no storage). She never fell off the bed or even really got close to the edge and it wasn't even a problem at all until she started crawling (aka we did nothing until then, she just slept in the middle of the bed).
In your case, I would go for the bedrails/pillows thing for now, either one of these look cool:
http://www.amazon.com/BedBugz-Portab...1585556&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Sleeptite-Extr...1585556&sr=1-3
And really, something like this would keep him contained until he was crawling pretty well, especially since he is a peanut:
http://www.target.com/Eddie-Bauer-In...n&frombrowse=0
Kelsey sleeps swaddled in a sleep positioner so she goes nowhere for now! Easy cosleeping for us.

Jen - I know *exactly* how you feel. Kelsey has both stopped taking a bottle and turns into a screaming banshee every time I leave. Unless she is asleep, I can't go anywhere and even then, maybe for an hour since she won't sleep longer than that. I'd love to take DD1 out and do things with her, and DH would love to stay home and take care of DD2, but it isn't working out that way. Of course, I don't want DD2 to cry, but there is nothing wrong - she's not hungry, tired, wet, etc. She just wants me to hold her, and as soon as I do, she stops crying. Tonight I could barely eat dinner - DH was holding her while I ate and she was freaking out.......good thing she is so cute.

Danielle - I haven't been having nightmares, but instead daymares. Ever since I got into my car accident last week, I've been having flashes of either more serious accidents or me falling and seriously hurting myself while holding the baby. It is weird, but it happens several times a day and is annoying.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#62 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 01:47 AM

P&H~ i gotta say that YOU CAN DO IT! i traveled in dec being 6 months pregnant with 2 car seats, 5 checked bags (huge at that), 2 carry ons and the 2 kids! we were staying at relatives so just had to do this there and back (set up once) and it turned out fine. i had someone help us to the check in desk and then i lugged the stuff to the terminal. i'm sure a fine upstanding and solid momma like yourself would relish the workout (cause you know that is real motivation!) i say save the money, take a pnp and feel SAFE when your in a strange(ish) house. good ideas by ivy and carita though too.

gtg~i can tell your having a midnight cap!

but i also want to say that i am really fortunate to have you girls in my life. i am so happy to have such a supportive ddc and have been through this journey with you and will continue it for as long as we can! i am still bowled over by the thoughtfulness, understanding, compassion and overall sense of giving you ladies have given me so please know that i cherish you all!

sew crafty~ hugs. that really really sucks. you've been battling this for a while now and i am so sorry! is there a guarantee from the place for lice/haircuts? maybe a steep discount for a customer coming back with the origianl problem? i hope they vacate soon
#63 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 02:23 AM

No guarantees. I'm going to call my hairdresser tomorrow and see if she'll give me a drastic haircut. I can't see easily getting rid of them with this much hair. She told me I'd need to cut a lot off to help, but she never said if she'd actually cut it. Wyatt will be getting buzzed in the morning. Thankfully we only found a couple on faith tonight.

Anna is 4 mos today and so awesome. I've discovered our little toddler rocker works well to put her asleep so naps are getting better.

Going to the waterslides tomorrow.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#64 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 03:22 AM

jennings won't quit crying.

i feel like screaming. i feel like crying.

he hates me. the swing. the vibrating chair. the jumper. sitting up. laying down. sitting down. bottles of milk. breastfeeding. sitting outside. sitting in a dark room. baths. car ride. walking around the store. watching tv. listening to music. NOTHING.IS.WORKING.

it's this feeling like I am struggling to breathe? I have NO CLUE WHAT IS WRONG I JUST WANT HIM TO STOP SCREAMING.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#65 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 10:46 AM

aww! teeth? gas?

i just picked up the hylands teething tabs - dani's teeth have been bothering her when she is in the car (I'm assuming because she has a chance to think about how much they hurt and I can't soothe her in other ways). worked like a charm, TG!. I feel the raised gums - I hope this doesn't take too long, though on the other hand, not exctly in a rush tohave them come in

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#66 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 12:02 PM

Ericka. He is 6 months, so maybe it's teeth? Maybe it's the sleep regression, since his adjusted age is closer to 4 months?
Either way, I hope he gets over it soon.

P+H- I didn't realize you were flying. Do you have relatives that live near the location of the reunion? Is it an area you'll be likely to visit more than once? How about getting something affordable used on eBay and having it shipped there?

Oooh, there's a P+T one going for $50 right now, but it ends SOON!

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#67 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 12:09 PM

he drools but that's about it....his gums look like normal gummy gums..no bumps or redness.
maybe he feels my stress....this week has been really busy too, with atleast two appointments a day, especially yesterday we spent atleast 4 hours at my attorneys office

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#68 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 12:41 PM

Tuesdays are my "me" days - DH takes the older 3 kids to their music lessons and to hang out with his mom or swim at his brother's place, and E and I just hang (before E was born they were just.for.me days = awesome). This Tuesday, E got all fussy and I was having trouble calming her down, so I put her in the carrier and went tromping around in the woods behind our house. It kind-of-mostly worked. Except that I came out of the woods in a different neighborhood from the one I'd planned to walk to, and wound up walking something more like 5 miles than like 2.

E still hasn't quite figured out how to get a toy into her mouth and keep it there. She chews on her fingers, or on her tongue, instead.

Re travelling: We've never had a special baby holder kind of thing. We made pillow barriers (put them under the fitted sheet to reduce suffocation risk) in those few awkward months before the babies learned how to get off the bed on their own.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#69 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 01:08 PM

#70 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 01:22 PM

I don't think she looks like either of them very much. But at the same time I wouldn't be surprised that they were related or anything.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#71 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 01:25 PM

well one is her dad and her 1/2 brother but he is denying it
the other was my fiance..we were together 9yrs and were together kinda close to the time of conception(bad bad bad I know)

anyways..her dad is saying she isn't his, she is the others...now I keep questioning myself

TTC #3

#72 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 01:40 PM

P+H: I flew alone with DD1 a number of times when she was tiny, as a lap infant, and just used my carseat carrier as our luggage (packed all of our clothes/diapers around the seat). I threw that on a stroller, looped my carry on over the handles, put Ella in the sling, and had one hand free. Also, we have taken the mattress off many hotel beds and put it on the floor. if nothing else, it gives you an idea of just how clean the room is.

SCG - So the nits are coming from your ex's? How frustrating.

GTG - Your girls are loved loved loved by anyone who takes the time to get to know them, so it's your inlaw's loss if they don't want to put in the effort. We've gotten a lot of "so this one is your last, RIGHT?" from people, and I've been trying to think of a similarly insulting question to ask. My reproductive plans, financial status, and ethical beliefs (re: what a child needs) are none of their business and are not up for debate, so WHY do people think they can influence me by being a jerk? Gah.

This week feels like the cusp of the pit. I've been doing okay for a couple weeks (bads days are few and far between) but the rage has broken though a few times a day lately. i need to get back into the habit of taking my supplements - I feel okay, so I get lazy, and then i get rageful again.

Otherwise things are good. Becky is awesome. She's seriously one of the sweetest natured people I've ever met. She's rolling, babbling, getting chubbier, laughing up a storm at peek-a-boo, and wants to sit up SO badly. She can do that slumped over sit for a few seconds, but then falls over and gets so mad. She also wants to get mobile on her belly, but ends up just going in a circle.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#73 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 01:43 PM

I think she looks more like the first one, but kind of like the son of the second one.
That said, I look absolutely nothing like my father, so who knows?

#74 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 01:48 PM

Ericka - I'm horrible at those kind of things, so i won't even chime in, BUT, if he wants to pay for paternity tests, he's welcome to, ya know?

So now he's playing this card? After fighting so hard for her, even when she didn't want to see him? i wonder what hand the girlfriend has in this. Poor C.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#75 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 01:56 PM

Hope you don't mind but dh looked too (he's good at this kind of thing). We both think she looks like the second set of pictures.

Thanks Ivy I agree.

AFM: I have to go to campus today I'm bring R and my ds to help me look after her. I'm so ANNOYED though because I am only going due to a lying student. She's gone to the Dean about how I didn't communicate with her concerning an independent study. Little did she know I'm super anal with my records so I have proof I communicated with her.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

#76 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 01:56 PM

Ivy- we are having P tests done..I'm scared now though? I mean...all the stress would be gone and my ex-fiance would love her...but man what a terrible mom I am

I keep looking at my ex-fiances younger picture and I see campbell...swear to it...now I feel all confused.

TTC #3

#77 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 01:59 PM

Ericka, she looks very much like the second one to me. Very much. I couldn't follow in your post whether that was the answer you wanted or not...

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#78 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 02:00 PM

Ericka, I am so so so bad at that stuff, so can I say she looks like both?

I have an awful canker sore right by the gumline, and it's pretty big. Not happy about that.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#79 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I got a bit of a break yesterday, even without Sprout taking a bottle! DH and I tucked the kids into bed at 7pm and, since Sprout's been pretty good about sleeping until 1-2am (although he woke up the day before at 11pm), I ran off to Disney World for the evening. Met my mom there, rode a few rides, ate a cookie, caught the end of the Electrical Light Parade, and watched one of the last shows of the Nightastic! fireworks. Wasn't in bed until midnight and then Sprout was up an hour or two later, but....

It was like a mini-vacation, and it was so very nice.

I'm terrible at look-likes. I think the guys-as-kids look more like each other than they do Campbell!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#80 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 PM

well I don't care the first set is my ex-fiance. It would be nice if he was? because there wouldn't be fighting or psychos.
I am so sick of her "dad", the one in the second links, saying she isn't his...it's getting old. I mean we are entering a custody battle now..I put in all my papers he isn't the father responding to what he filed first. I am just tired of him throwing it at me. He claims she looks nothing like him, she really doesn't, or anyone in his family, which she really doesn't IMO. He has me thinking hard now...it's driving me crazy at this point cause now I am second guessing myself?

TTC #3

#81 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 02:32 PM

yay Jen for the vacation

GTG - ugh about the student - oh boy have i had dooseys in the past too. TG for the reliability of email communicaiton. it helps me keep everything on record.

having some GRRR moments with the IT guy at my new school. TG he is moving on to a new job at the end of this week and he will be replaced by some outside IT people until a permanent replacement can be found. I plan on sweet talking the new guys into giving me exactly what I need. LOL. This IT guy is so freaking frustrating. IDK if its because he deals with a lot of non-saavy computer people or what, but he keeps getting worked up about my requests/inquiries. Like I wanted a Linux OS, and he said NO. I wanted a laptop, and he want to give me one with only 2G mem. I ask about filespace on the server, and he says yes for only work related things and I can't access it from off-campus. how the heck am i supposed to do any work from home? ugh. Not a big deal for most, but I have a "dry lab" so these things are essential. I am not asking him for a computer lab or anything, just a worthy computer & filespace to deal with the sims I need to run! *vent over*

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#82 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 02:56 PM

If I had to choose, I think she looks more like your ex-husband. But honestly, to me she looks more like you than either of them.

(((hugs))) This whole thing just sucks. I hope it is over and life is peaceful for you soon.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#83 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 03:50 PM

Omg, I think I'm getting sick again. I just got over a cold! WTF, immune system. What happened to you? Does nursing lower it? I used to get two colds a year generally. I've had like six in the past year, plus two stomach bugs (I've only had one other stomach bug in the past 11 years). I attributed most of them to being pregnant. But one stomach bug and two colds in 4 months, and the two colds within two weeks of each other? Hrmmm.

I think I'm going to take a decongestant. Kellymom lists them as an L3, and just says not to take them often or long term. And that if I see any dip in supply I can take measures to boost supply and it should resolve.

Anything else I should be doing? I'll drink some emergen-c tonight.

#84 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 03:58 PM

I second the suggestion of putting barriers under the fitted sheet for alone naps. They make travel foam pieces, but I think a rolled up towel or two would also work.

Gtg- is there a cultural thing going on with the ds worship and dd ignoring? How annoying!

Ericka - I can't look at the pics right now, but either way, hugs!

Afm - T has been out now for almost an hour and a half. It took 45 minutes of light sleep and occasional nursing to do it. And of course I am still laying here with him, hoping to stave off any wake-ups, so I'm not really getting anything done. But I'm so relieved he is napping. He really worries me sometimes.
Today at the pet store I squeaked a few dog toys and T was cracking up! He likes the grungy ones the best, then the squeakers. You guys have to try it and let me know if your lo also think it's funny. First non-tickle real giggles we've had here.
Today was his 4 mo. Appt. Though it is about a week early. He is 15 lbs, and 27 in. ( I think, have to check the printout). 50th percentile for weight and 99th for height! You can tell he's genetically my dh's. Though I know that means nothing for how he actually ends up. All the men in both our families are 6 ft or over. Some very significantly over!

Momma to born April 18, 2010!
#85 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 04:04 PM

ericka- How much are DNA tests? If he's not her dad, it might be a blessing in disguise.

#86 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triony View Post
I second the suggestion of putting barriers under the fitted sheet for alone naps. They make travel foam pieces, but I think a rolled up towel or two would also work.

Gtg- is there a cultural thing going on with the ds worship and dd ignoring? How annoying!

Ericka - I can't look at the pics right now, but either way, hugs!

Afm - T has been out now for almost an hour and a half. It took 45 minutes of light sleep and occasional nursing to do it. And of course I am still laying here with him, hoping to stave off any wake-ups, so I'm not really getting anything done. But I'm so relieved he is napping. He really worries me sometimes.
Today at the pet store I squeaked a few dog toys and T was cracking up! He likes the grungy ones the best, then the squeakers. You guys have to try it and let me know if your lo also think it's funny. First non-tickle real giggles we've had here.
Today was his 4 mo. Appt. Though it is about a week early. He is 15 lbs, and 27 in. ( I think, have to check the printout). 50th percentile for weight and 99th for height! You can tell he's genetically my dh's. Though I know that means nothing for how he actually ends up. All the men in both our families are 6 ft or over. Some very significantly over!
You totally need Sophie the Giraffe!

#87 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triony View Post
Sprout LOVES squeaking toys! We have the Melissa and Doug bug bucket, and I pulled out the ladybug that squeaks and he just started giggling and giggling! Bells are ok, rattles are old news, but squeaks! They're awesome!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#88 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingfox View Post
ericka- How much are DNA tests? If he's not her dad, it might be a blessing in disguise.

he has to pay and I guess they range from 350-600$

TTC #3

#89 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 05:43 PM

I may be a bad person. I got the idiotic 3 month old developmental screening for Mercy and had a bit of fun. I added her middle name to the form, and wrote in the margin on the question "does she act her age?" that she acts advanced for her age, in keeping with her ~ 42 week gestational age.

I think it's time to break out my new shoes and stomp Mercy's discharge papers into oblivion.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#90 of 125 Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

I designed and bought 2 of these today to cheer me up:
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customiz...r=%20463240909

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page