Weekly Thread Aug 15-22 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2010, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG, Rhi, do we have the same boobs?! You just described mine exactly. Sigh. Except the right one's nipple is slightly inverted so it sometimes hurts to nurse if I don't watch the latch AND it spurts milk everywhere. Ugh...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
OMG, Rhi, do we have the same boobs?! You just described mine exactly. Sigh. Except the right one's nipple is slightly inverted so it sometimes hurts to nurse if I don't watch the latch AND it spurts milk everywhere. Ugh...
I was going to say the same to you, Jess. We're the same age, the same bday for our babies and the same boobs! I think my right side has been slowing down gradually over hte past month. i'm going to try to pump more from it to see if I can get it back up. It's kind of annoying!

T has his second lower incisor coming in. This one seems to really bug him. HIs fingers are constantly in his mouth. We went to the water park today, and he didn't like being in the ringsling with me, but enjoying "sitting" in the water in the baby pool. What a cutie!

T wakes up a bunch at night (though the past 2 days have been much less) but he really only actually nurses to eat once or twice. We've been putting him on the futon next to our bed because he sleeps better without me next to him usually. Last night we had a diaper overflow, so I didn't want to reswaddle him the wet Miracle Blanket. So he got to come to bed with me. :-D Didn't realize how much I missed him! He slept fairly well, too.

Ahh.. babies! I'm getting addicted now.

Momma to born April 18, 2010!
Old 08-21-2010, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
jennings slept for 10 hours last night, I woke him at 5am to eat but he slept through it and was asleep after. I of course had to wake up to pump, I can't go longer than 4-5 hours without pumping or my chest might explode.

I don't have a highschool sweetheart, I went to an all girls school.
I met my fiance after we both graduated though, summer of 97. We dated until 2005/06. To be honest, losing 7 babies really took a toll on our relationship and he cheated on me. I know it was hard on him, so while I am not excusing his behavior, I know it was hard on him and I understood. I miss him terribly and see him sometimes which makes it even harder, cause I still love him. 9-10 years of our lives together.

I don't know if marriage is in the cards for me ya know? I haven't met the right person yet and I am comfortable. I don't like being alone but I like not having to check with someone else. i can do what I want...I am so set in my ways and so independent that I think it's hard to meet someone. I don't want someone to tell me my kids can't sleep in bed or how long to breastfeed or to circ or vax..I like making the decisions.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
Old 08-21-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
jennings slept for 10 hours last night, I woke him at 5am to eat but he slept through it and was asleep after. I of course had to wake up to pump, I can't go longer than 4-5 hours without pumping or my chest might explode.

I don't have a highschool sweetheart, I went to an all girls school.
I met my fiance after we both graduated though, summer of 97. We dated until 2005/06. To be honest, losing 7 babies really took a toll on our relationship and he cheated on me. I know it was hard on him, so while I am not excusing his behavior, I know it was hard on him and I understood. I miss him terribly and see him sometimes which makes it even harder, cause I still love him. 9-10 years of our lives together.

I don't know if marriage is in the cards for me ya know? I haven't met the right person yet and I am comfortable. I don't like being alone but I like not having to check with someone else. i can do what I want...I am so set in my ways and so independent that I think it's hard to meet someone. I don't want someone to tell me my kids can't sleep in bed or how long to breastfeed or to circ or vax..I like making the decisions.
funny cause i kinda think this about BF and i. we would differ on vax and circ mostly. our other areas have meshed pretty well. so although we are really great together, we love our kids, we do well parenting with the others kids and between ourselves it's like we arent supposed to have a bio kid between us...course i wouldn't want his genes anyways! diabetes and cleft lip, short (not that its that bad ), thinning hair very early in life. haha.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:00 AM

Well, last night was a bit of an improvement in the overnight-rolling-exercises area. Sprout woke up frequently to try (every 2 hours), but I pushed a pillow behind him to keep him from being able to go onto his back, nursed him at the slightest peep (usually he puts himself back to sleep except for a couple feedings), and kept my hands on his back and prevented him from rolling over while he was falling asleep.

Hopefully, a few nights of that will break him of the late-night sessions.....

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 08-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Mercy slept in her moses basket all night, from 11:15 to about 7:30 this morning. I think she's making up for the whole "not breathing" drama thing.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:48 PM

YAY for slightly better sleep! E slept from 10pm until 5am, nursed, and slept until 7:30. 10pm to 5am is TOTALLY sleeping through the night by almost anyone's definition. Unfortunately, I didn't go to bed at 10pm with her, but that's my fault.

I let myself get really lopsided for a few days, because E has a preference for the left boob. We evened it back out, mostly, though, by being more conscious of how long she was spending on each side. The one time I weaned before I got pregnant again, my breasts did go back to roughly even, but I did know somebody who nursed almost exclusively on one side and her breasts did not even back out when she finished nursing.

A pair of friends conspired to pick up an exersaucer for E. She both loves it and is overstimulated by it; I tried to take off toys but my kids keep putting them back on . We'll see how it goes as she gets more familiar. Last night she had a really fussy jag from about 7-10pm, and I think a general state of too-much-stimulation throughout the day was to blame.

She's been giving big fat sloppy baby kisses. I love them.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:54 PM

Forgot to say - I think the 'they don't need to eat' thing is largely a load of you-know-what. Some kids maybe don't (E seems to be one of them, unless she's growth-spurting), but one of my kids needed to eat in the night until she was over 2 years old - in fact, when I decided to night wean her, I needed to provide calories (we used an energy bar) in the middle of the night, because she was actually waking up HUNGRY, not just wanting to nurse for the sake of nursing. (That wouldn't have made sense, except that she was nursing every hour, and the energy bar held her over for longer.)

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:20 PM

ARGH. You other mamas DARE have better sleep without me?! Last night was awful again. Difficult to get her to sleep, impossible to KEEP her to sleep. Wiggling and up and down all night long. I've been thinking all of this time "as soon as she can suck her own fingers to sleep, I'll be golden." Now I'm realizing that she PREFERS to suck on mine... and it's getting to the point where even if she seems deep deep asleep, as soon as I take my finger out, she wakes up and cries.
Sigh. So now we have to work on the sucking to sleep association and I don't wanna, I'm too tired and just want it to be better already. GRRR.
I am making DH read the NCSS so he can help me... it's gotten to the point where I don't really know how to get her to sleep without letting her suck on my finger. Ack!
Glad everyone else is getting some rest, can you do my thinking and get through the day for me?
Old 08-21-2010, 04:48 PM

Ugh Jess! I've gotten stuck in a lot of bad sleep/baby care things in the past just because in the short term it was easier to humor whatever irritating thing was happening than it was to fix it. Like our nighttime routine with DC3 was SO long and irritating, but I'd just do it because every evening when that time rolled around, I just didn't have ANY extra energy to spend on fixing things. Right now I'm struggling not to get stuck nursing laying down every nursing session; Elaina has a STRONG preference to nurse laying down and will whine and put off nursing until we can get into bed together. I really like cuddling in bed and nursing, but we might stay home one day a week and every other day I need her to be able to eat sitting up and not just get crabbier and crabbier until I can finally lie down and cuddle her somewhere.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:08 PM

Well I can commiserate. We had the worst sleep ever last night. Seriously, the worst she has ever had. I'm sure it's teething. I went to bed around midnight and Ada woke up around 2:30 and peed the bed. First of all, she never pees in the middle of the night--only very rarely. Second of all, she was actually awake with her eyes open, not just stirring around like she usually is.

Then she could not go back to sleep! She popped on and off the breast, fussed, squirmed, peed AGAIN, fussed, gummed my nipples, furiously kicked her feet. It went on until finally at 5:30 or so she just passed out cold. I was just drifting off to sleep when DD2 woke up full of energy just before 6. I'm exhausted!!!

Ada has been drooling like crazy and rubbing her tongue over her bottom gums all day. I put DD1's old amber teething necklace on her. I hope it helps us sleep better tonight. If not I may get out the hyland's teething tablets, but it feels strange to feed her anything other than breastmilk at this point...

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 08-21-2010, 10:53 PM

niki - that is DD - the good news is that if i make her wait and do even a 5 min bedtime routine of a little play, dressed in jammies, new diaper, she is ready to nurse and be out like a light. unless she gets a burp stuck in her - then she is very mad, and I have to walk her around a bit til she burps and then nurse her down again.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
Old 08-21-2010, 11:30 PM

Glad to hear sleep has been better for some of us at least. T is finally sleeping better. I think it is due to moving him, and probably he was just ready. He has slept 6+ hours on his own 3 times this week. I'm so hoping this is a new trend, not a passing fad.
I kind of missing cuddling him at night, but I realized tonight that I should bring him to bed when he wakes up around 5 anyway, or I don't get much more sleep. So I think we may be on our way to good nights. (Now something will go wrong, because I said this)

T definitely eats sometimes and just comfort nurses others. But how would I know which times if I didn't give him the opportunity? I hate all the "rules" out there. I had a friend tell me once that he was frustrated with his little girl (16 months maybe?) becuase he had to go in and get her when she cried, because they had guests in the house. He said he piled her animals back on her bed, and she went back to sleep. This makes him mad?!?! I hate whoever came up with the "let them cry" idea.

Ok, off soapbox.

Jen - I feel for ya. I don't know what we'd do if T didn't let us swaddle him anymore. His arms just go around like crazy. He grabs his face and head in his sleep and wakes himself up. He's startling a lot less now, but the hands... oh, the hands...

Momma to born April 18, 2010!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:48 PM

Well.... I guess a plus of the whole tongue tie thing is that I don't have to differentiate comfort nursing from nutritional nursing, because he doesn't nurse for comfort....

Speaking of which, can I just take a moment to say:

OUCH! OWIE! OWWWWW!

Thanks. Had to get that out. If I complain around my parents (who I was hanging out with today), they'll just start asking about moving to formula again. Sprout's been having a bad nursing streak lately, and it HURTS. He's been sticking his tongue out for fun (which is unusual), but he doesn't seem to be sticking it out appropriately for nursing. So there's lots of pinching and rubbing and general discomfort.

From past experience, this should last a week or so and then get better-ish for a while. I can't wait!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 08-22-2010, 12:46 AM

I just did the first run in a Couch to 5k program.

And we had an all around good day. Civil War reenactment do-hickey in the morning, got lunch at a pizza buffet, got shoes for 2 kids plus my running shoes, and we got Mercy's ears pierced. Yeah yeah.. crunchy FAIL. Ah well.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:49 AM

omg - hold on to your wallets ladies (i couldn't LOL). i used to see these kids clothes stuff at a nat foods store in the south all the time, but too $$$. but its on major clearance - check the clearance section!! freaking adorable organic clothes! (okay a little funky, but totally goes with my new found granola self). if i remember right, everything is like a very light sweater material, great for the weather up here.

http://www.happygreenbee.com/shop.cf...tore=Clearance

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +

User Tag List