Weekly Thread Aug 15-22 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ooooh, I get to start a new weekly thread! How exciting!!!

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010, 12:29 PM

So 3 months was good, but 4 months is even better. She's laughing and talking more. Grabbing her feet (which I love). Going down for naps a bit easier. Chatting away and laughing in the car Grabbing toys more consistently and holding on to them. I can't say I love her clamping down on my nipple and smiling at me though. Thankfully it's not all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:42 PM

Thanks, snoopy! Sometimes I forget what day it is.

After a really, really bad night, we've had 2 really good nights (1-2 wakings). Can I hope the 4 month regression is done?

Anybody else's LO totally fascinated by food? Nugget wasn't like this at all, but Sprout stares while we're eating and tries to grab our food. DD didn't care at all. Sprout? FASCINATED.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 08-15-2010, 01:48 PM

Elaina REALLY, REALLY wants our food. She has a sippy cup of water that I bring to the table when we eat, just so that she has SOMETHING, and it keeps her distracted. I'm not willing to do solids with her yet (I know some start at 4 months) because she's not even remotely capable of feeding herself, which is my own criteria.

It's been pretty hot here and I've been enjoying letting her have some totally-naked time.

Sleeping better again here, too.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
Anybody else's LO totally fascinated by food? Nugget wasn't like this at all, but Sprout stares while we're eating and tries to grab our food. DD didn't care at all. Sprout? FASCINATED.
Yup. DD2 totally makes chewing motions and nummy noises as we eat, and has tried to grab food a few times. She's been doing this since she hit the 3 month mark, if not a wee bit sooner.
DD1 didn't have any interest in food whatsoever until she was 10 months old.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
Old 08-15-2010, 02:16 PM

Yeah, we're holding off until 6 months. Nugget's dairy intolerance means Sprout has a higher-than-average chance of intolerances, especially if it's introduced too early. (Thanks, DH's mom, for giving Nugget dairy and soy frosting at 4 weeks. We'll never know if it hurt, but it certainly didn't help.)

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 08-15-2010, 02:43 PM

What the heck!? This thread seriously didn't show up. BOOOO!!!

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:47 PM

We are getting some better rest here, too... apparently all of those nights of wiggling were DD trying to find her feet. Now she wakes up and instantly grabs onto them and is stoked, it's very cute.
I'm feeling kind of guilty, though, because I am so NOT a morning person, and I haven't had to stick to a consistent schedule for myself (being self employed), and it's been super cold and foggy here all summer for some reason... so lately we are sleeping in later and later. Yesterday I got up with her at 10ish, which is already bad enough, but we were both still groggy, so we went back to bed and slept till 11:30!! I'm loving the rest (although she is still waking up at 2am, 5am, 7am, 9am, etc), but I feel kind of flakey for doing that, and now her nap schedule (as it is, nothing great to begin with) is all thrown off and weird, so the best few nights I haven't been able to get her to sleep before 10:30pm...
I'm torn between staying flexible and mellow about it (and enjoying it while I can, since most babies like to get up much earlier eventually) and thinking I need to instate more consistency in our lives. Any thoughts?
(besides the fact that those of you with other kids/ out of home jobs want to kill me for being able to sleep in... )

Also, I insisted we put our super cozy foam mattress topper back on the bed because my back has been killing me every day for weeks. But it makes poor DH's back so uncomfortable to have it on. I promised him that we could have it off after pregnancy, and we have for the past 4 months, but our mattress is so blown out and old (7 years old!!) that I couldn't take it any more. But now he's miserable. So I guess we're going mattress shopping, but we can't afford a natural one, and I worry about all of the chemical crap that's in them going into DD's system . The one plus about ours being so old is that it's mostly already off gassed all of its crap.

Anyway. I'm hoping the 4 month sleep regression is over for all of us... but since we're only at 17 weeks, I'm not fully convinced that's what was going on over here, so we'll see! She's loving her feet, starting to sit up propped on her arms for a few seconds. Still not rolling over much but lots of rolling to her sides and big gestures with arms (bringing things to her mouth mostly). I think she is doing these pelvic thrust things when she wants me to pick her up. I'm starting to wonder how much longer her vibratey chair is even going to be an option!

I am feeling thankful for all of the smiles, and that feeding her seems to finally be more regulated (i.e., it's clearer when she's hungry, she goes longer without eating, etc). She's growing great, and I cannot wait for all of the next steps!!
Old 08-15-2010, 05:26 PM

Augh!!! The hair grabbing/pulling/eating has GOT to stop!!!!!

Old 08-15-2010, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
we ventured to the Farmers market today before it hits 100 degrees and got cucumbers, cantaloupe, watermelon, 2 kinds of cherries, strawberries and blueberries, corn on the cob and green beans

it's too hot to do anything

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
Old 08-15-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, we're holding off until 6 months. Nugget's dairy intolerance means Sprout has a higher-than-average chance of intolerances, especially if it's introduced too early. (Thanks, DH's mom, for giving Nugget dairy and soy frosting at 4 weeks. We'll never know if it hurt, but it certainly didn't help.)
Yeah, DD1 had crazy dairy intolerance (and a couple others), so I wasn't upset about her lack of interest in foods until she was older.
We're also waiting until at least 6 months. I'm on another April 2010 DDC, and I think I'm the only one there who hasn't been feeding their baby cereal since 12 weeks.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
Old 08-15-2010, 07:23 PM

jennings has had watermelon to suck on, but that's about it and all he'll get for now

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
Old 08-15-2010, 11:59 PM

I can't believe it's the middle of August already!

Sleeping - blech. Last night was terrible. The Miracle Blanket was in the wash, and it's the only thing that will keep him swaddled now. And he only barely fits in it, he's so long. I don't know how we're going to transition him to sleeping unswaddled. It seems as soon as he gets an arm out, he's awake. I gave up last night and put him in PJs and slept next to him. But if he wakes up that way he is much much harder to put back to sleep. We are transitioning him to sleeping on mattress on the floor next to our bed, because we think I am waking him up sometimes. We'll see. Tonight has been a struggle to get him to sleep there. He definitely noticed the change!

I got out of the house with him finally for a LLL meeting. Lots of fun, he was really cute and LOVED looking at all the other kids. Huge smiles.

Food - I'm keeping an eye on him. He's watching stuff move to our mouths, but at this point it just seems like he's watching whatever is moving. No sign of teeth yet. Although I'm not sure I'd know if I saw/felt them.

Momma to born April 18, 2010!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:49 AM

Jess, we cut our memory-foam mattress topper in half. I sleep on the foam, DH doesn't, we're both happy.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

A better day today, trying to gear myself up for our trip at the end of the week, lots of packing to do.......

Jess - I was also going to suggest cutting the topper in half....and after 7 years your mattress should still be fine! Can you flip or rotate it? DH (who outweighs me by 100 lbs) seems to feel that it really makes a difference. We've got a king and we can't flip it, but we rotate it every 3 months so we are sleeping on a different part of the mattress every 3 months. FWIW, we got a new king when DD1 was a few months old. I knew nothing about offgassing at the time and we all slept on it from day 1. We're all fine now.

As for the sleeping in vs schedule, just go with the flow!! Pretty soon, she'll start waking up earlier, you'll have a schedule and then you'll be stuck. Trust me, you will never again have this opportunity. From one sleep loving night owl to another, just go with it.
Our best friends really hate to get up early and don't mind their kids going to bed late, so both their kids have always been on a late schedule. They go to sleep at 10/11 and sleep until 10/11 the next day. They are all fine with no ill consequences.

Triony - Although we've got several swaddle blankets, there is one in particular that fits Kelsey really well, so that's the one I always use and I hardly ever wash it since she's using it every 2 hours or so.......

As for food, we'll be waiting till at least 6 months, probably later since we're planning a couple of trips for October and it'd be easier to do them without having to mess with solids. That is, of course, unless Kelsey demands otherwise. Right now she is content to sit in her bumbo on the table and watch us eat.

And speaking of the bumbo, anyone else have one? Ours seems to make Kelsey either spit up a ton, poop, or both. Does this happen to other folks babies? Also, we're borrowing the tray from my cousin, is there any tricks to getting it on there? Cuz it just seems like a big pain to me....

Old 08-16-2010, 02:24 AM

i have a bumbo...it does the same to J. The chiro said not to put him in it for more than 5-10 minutes a couple times a day, she suggested just once. She said it put a lot of pressure on their abdomen and they aren't ready yet if that is happening I just do a couple minutes.
When we're eating he is in his swing or vibrating chair. I just learned our highchair has a option to recline though.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:44 AM

R seems pretty interested in our food but hasn't tried to grab it. Ds did that. We were constantly having to take food out of his hands. I'm not in any rush. R still has a super strong tongue reflex to the point where I'm not sure a sippy cup is going to work out.

Of course R is the slow baby here and just discovered her hands in any kind of real way. She figured out to suck on them ages ago but now it's like this trippy kind of thing where she holds them up in front of her face like "Whoa what are those things?" She's also started to play with her dangling toys on the play mat.

No spitting up in the Bumbo seat here. She doesn't sit in it often though and when she does she only wants to be there for about five or ten minutes.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaGinger61 View Post
R seems pretty interested in our food but hasn't tried to grab it. Ds did that. We were constantly having to take food out of his hands. I'm not in any rush. R still has a super strong tongue reflex to the point where I'm not sure a sippy cup is going to work out.

Of course R is the slow baby here and just discovered her hands in any kind of real way. She figured out to suck on them ages ago but now it's like this trippy kind of thing where she holds them up in front of her face like "Whoa what are those things?" She's also started to play with her dangling toys on the play mat.

No spitting up in the Bumbo seat here. She doesn't sit in it often though and when she does she only wants to be there for about five or ten minutes.
J just started noticing his feet...he sucks on his hands, but I don't think he has "noticed" them yet. He also just started reaching and grabbing for toys and batting at them..but his hands are always moving around, so I don't know if he is just grabbing around OR if he actually is reaching for a toy, ykwim?

Old 08-16-2010, 09:50 AM

Ada picks up things and puts them in her mouth. She found her feet too and loves to eat them!

Solids, we do baby led weaning so we won't start for at least two more months if not longer. Not until she can pick it up and eat it, tongue thrust is gone, sitting up on her own, etc.

Right now she's interested, but not because she needs to eat. I mean, she's also interested in putting the cats tails in her mouth or her feet or dd1's hair, lol. I think it's more curiosity than an urge/need to eat.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 08-16-2010, 10:12 AM

So, anyone who has experienced this, talk to me about post partum thyroid issues. I am trying to differentiate between "lady, you've got 5 kids. What the heck did you expect!?" fatigue and low thyroid. Weight loss isn't happening over here, of course I also have been atrocious diet wise and may be old enough that I can't do that anymore with relative impunity.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 AM

OMG!

My exhausted husband stayed after his 7pm-7am shift ended this morning to go to medical records and get a copy of Sprout's record from his NICU stay. When peopple finally started arriving after 8am, they told him he had to make an appointment -- and the phone number to the appointment maker just goes to voice mail.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:48 AM

What the heck!?!?! I'd be SO angry!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Yes! Ds has pulled my plate off the table twice. He's much more a grabber than DD was. However, I don't know if he's just attracted to the bright colors or if he's really paying attention to what we're doing.

Solids-- I'm waiting until 6 months at least, and will probably start with vegetables. However, I'm really interested in this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Real-Food-Moth...1962058&sr=8-1
(I saw it on CherryBomb's blog! )
I'd like to read the part about first foods for babies. With DD, I started with rice cereal (-- who would want to eat that??), and when DD hated it that made me rethink cereal and baby food... we ended up mostly just feeding mushed table food.
Jarred baby food is so nasty. Gerber makes a BABY food that is "Veal, Pasta, and Veg." Ick. No wonder so many people like to eat crappy almost-non-foods.

Quote:
OMG!

My exhausted husband stayed after his 7pm-7am shift ended this morning to go to medical records and get a copy of Sprout's record from his NICU stay. When peopple finally started arriving after 8am, they told him he had to make an appointment -- and the phone number to the appointment maker just goes to voice mail.

That is awful. I understand the need to keep records private, and I know they have a LOT of records to keep up with.... but seriously, is there an element of *trying* to make it difficult to retrieve them (or at least not remedying a situation that is difficult?). It is upsetting to me that the records are the property of the office/hospital and not the patient. At the CNM's office where we had DD, they had signs all over the place saying, "Records MUST NOT leave the premises," etc.

And furthermore-- here's another issue w/ records-- DS still hasn't been to a pediatrician, and part of the reason for that is that I have to get records from the midwives because the office will not accept him, at all, without some trail of medical records. I know every detail in those records, but I have to bring in a file because my account is not good enough.

LNF(and everyone else!) thanks for the encouragement about the co-sleeping. I hope that the transition will be okay. I generally lie down to nurse him to sleep around 8 and then stay up and about myself until 10; I get up before him in the morning. So, maybe he won't notice so much if I'm not there sleeping next to him? I am sure I will notice, though.

Truly, though, even though I wish Dh were the kind to say, "OH, yes, I want the baby to sleep with us," he has been supportive of my choices in a lot of other important ways (birth, circumcision, vaccines), so I think I need to just count my blessing and hope DS enjoys sharing a room with his sister.

Finally-- a big to everyone dealing with 3/4 year olds. This is a challenging age! I went in to check on sleeping DD last night, and when I was pulling the blankets up around her chin, I almost started crying. I cannot believe that she was ever so tiny as DS-- and now she's talking constantly, questioning everything, weeping at ridiculous, tiny problems, and "playing" by doing the opposite of what we tell her to do. Oh my. Thankfully, I think her behavior has actually improved since DS was born. I hope it continues on an upward spiral.

ETA: I was just checking my e-mail, and I found a job offer for a job I applied for last spring. It's for teaching college English in the fall... 8 hours from where we now live. It's obviously a non-issue, now, but it's bittersweet. I miss teaching.

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 AM

I need to vent. I am reallly irritated!

T has decided he will not nap on the bed nursing in the past week. I woke up SO tired this morning. He actually seemed to sleep better on the futon w/out me, but I still woke up every time he had a rough transition in sleep. I also went running yesterday for the first time since I was about 10 weeks pregnant. It went really well, and I felt so good about myself, but of course it drained me even more.
Today I was so hopeful for the bed nap. I did our nap routine, swaddled him (he actually seemed pleased about that part) and then laid down with him on the bed in the "nap room". He starts flipping out. Won't nurse, won't cuddle, just fussing and screaming. So I get to put him in the Mei Tai and sit on the bouncy ball. Which is actually better than before. Now I can watch tv and work on the computer a bit. But I am SO TIRED. It is making me really annoyed with him and resentful. I know we need a more solid nap routine, that really helped with bedtime. But if I can't ever get him to nap, how can I create a routine (that doesn't involve motion and the Mei Tai). I was really ready to pull my hair out this morning.
EDIT: And now I really need to go to the bathroom. I used to be able to do that with him in the Mei Tai, but he's such a light sleeper now, he'll just wake up and be angry, and then won't go back to sleep. I HATE this.

For those of you who were talking about the Bumbo and poop, you could use this opportunity to get some poops in the toilet, instead of the diaper. (We do part-time EC here, and I love it)

Old 08-16-2010, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OMG!

OMG that is soooooo annoying. You'd think they'd have extended him a courtesy since he works there......

Old 08-16-2010, 03:27 PM

ugh i hate medical records! seems like a crime that they can legally own your own medical records. hope you get them SOON and they can just mail them to you.

food~ R has been intently watching us lately. we've given him a fry or 2 to munch on and a piece of watermelon and teeny piece of popcorn. he actually did seem to prefer the watermelon (after the FUNNIEST LOOK!) and the piece of popcorn (i know i was VERY careful!) but didn't care for the fry. next time dd has a banana i'm going to pinch a piece off and see what he think about that. i think he's going to be ready to really start exploring food soon.

he has been getting very good at sitting. he sat almost completly unassisted for maybe 5 minutes yesterday! he has very good ab muscles its more balance than the strength. he's like a weeble wobble that DOES fall down! i think once he is sitting/balancing (which i think probably another 3 weeks till he has it down pat) he'll be ready to explore the wonders of food.

i gave him a 2 oz bottle of formula last night and then nursed him (and he drank all my boob milk too) and he slept an extra 2 hours (we've been BARELY getting 3 hrs at a time for about 3 weeks) so i'm guessing he isn't filling up at night. he nurses enough to have a "fullish" belly and falls asleep. my boobs aren't making more cause he's not demanding more AT THAT TIME. not really sure how to remedy that...make him nurse every hour before bed? its hard to get him to eat when he doesn't feel hungry though (and he's going to pop on and off owwiee!). the faster flow of the bottle i think helped him get more in his tummy. so i am going to try a 4 oz bottle and nurse tonight and see how long he'll sleep. if i can get him used to needing more then maybe i can latch him on first, feed him formula and latch him on again and slowly lesson the bottle so he is demanding more from the breast?

very quiet here...oddly serene. very weird. just dd and R with me at home. stepkids back at their moms and ds1 at Kindy. poor dd is bored out of her mind. she'll start preschool soon hopefully. the speech prek called and set an appt to get her transitioned to headstart since she has grown leaps and bounds with her speech. i just hope it will still work (she gets bussed by the prek cause it's public school) but hopefully the headstart will be a little bit longer day than the prek? guess we'll see!

still waiting on my PELL for college. i just got the notification that its going to go through and the amount but i am way behind b/c i missed a deadline. i'm not even sure i'll get the excess payment before classes start and i'm not sure how i'll buy books! thanks so much for the link to free prime for students whomever posted it! i found 2 of the 3 books the cheapest on amazon and i can get them shipped in 2 days free so even if its down to the wire i have that to save my hide! the other book i can have expedited i suppose (amazon charges $30 more so extra shipping is worth it). wish me luck and cross your fingers for quick payment!

i'm hoping R will still be a very content baby like he has all summer. i have no childcare for him (online classes) so i have to study around him and i'm going to need at least 4/hrs a day to keep up (possibly more!).
Old 08-16-2010, 04:46 PM

I think this was from last week's thread, but P&H, I wasn't offended at all about the question of if L was getting sick from day care. I think it is just a matter of fact that kids in day care get sick more often. I hate it, but there isn't much I can do about it. I think I need to do a better job of taking care of my own immune system, in hopes that it helps both of us.

The nurse I spoke with suggested starting back on a multi vitamin, a B complex (but I'm already taking folic acid, so I guess I should ditch that and start the complex?), vitamin D, and I assume vitamin C. She said echancia (sp?) if I felt something coming on.

Anybody else have anything they love? It needs to be available in either chewable, tiny pills, or liquid. I can't swallow big pills. The only other thing I could think of was a probiotic, but they're so expensive to get either powder or chewable!

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 08-16-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

So this morning we went to a friend's house for a playdate right around 10:30. Kelsey woke up at 9, so I figured she'd either
A. fall asleep on the car ride there
B. nurse to sleep in my arms at their house
C. fall asleep in the beco

Instead she just stayed awake until we left at 1 pm!!! That's right she stayed awake for 4 hours despite my best efforts. I didn't bring a swaddle blanket with me, figuring she'd fall asleep and take a short nap in my arms. Wrong! She just kept almost falling asleep and wiggling her limbs and waking herself back up. I tried the Beco and since I wasn't actually walking, just swaying around, she wouldn't fall asleep in there either. This one is going to be trouble I tell you! And I'm now adding a swaddleme to the pile of crap I carry around in my diaper bag!

Old 08-16-2010, 05:00 PM

triony -- Does it work to keep him awake until he's just falling apart? We do that with Sprout sometimes; hold him around the house until he's falling asleep in our arms, and THEN put him down. We can get an hour or so out of him then!

Old 08-16-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
triony -- Does it work to keep him awake until he's just falling apart? We do that with Sprout sometimes; hold him around the house until he's falling asleep in our arms, and THEN put him down. We can get an hour or so out of him then!
When he gets tired we have a meltdown, first fussyness, and then all out screaming. I mean SCREAMING. Once he gets to that point it is almost impossible to get him to calm down and sleep. I haven't seen this kid get drowsy on his own (since newborn stage obviously) unless there's a party going on around him. I'm being completely literal. If we're a very loud restaurant or at a party he'll fall asleep on his own in a sling. He only stays asleep for 30 min or so, but at least he'll fall asleep. Other than that he has to be almost tricked into going to sleep. Other than bedtime, luckily we established a bedtime routine a couple weeks ago, so he'll still go to sleep at night.

I was so frustrated today that for his second nap I drove for an hour and a half on the highway. I told myself I'd never do that. Bad for environment, my car, everything. But I just couldn't take it anymore. I'm boucing him on the ball again right now. I haven't gotten any housework done in a week. When he's awake and happy (which lasts about an hour) I want to spend that time with him, having fun, not sticking him somewhere so I can get stuff done.

on the records issue. I officially hate hospitals, doctors and veterinarians now.

User Tag List