Balancing pregnancy and career. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2009, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This pregnancy has come at an extremely busy and stressful time in my career. It's warmly welcomed and was very much planned, but we had also been trying for 20 months at this point and it's startling that it happened just as everything else became even more complicated.

I work two part-time jobs, one as an adjunct professor and another as a statistican (sort of). That's not the tricky part. The demanding element is that I'm completing my PhD this semester and my applications for faculty positions and postdocs for 2010-2011 are all due within the next several months. I'm drowning in these applications and already had a lot of pressure to get more articles under review in the hopes of being able to get a position at all for next year. I'm also going to Honduras next month for a week (again, for my career).

How do you balance? I was already feeling in over my head before I knew that I'd be perpetually tired and nauseated during application season and defense preparation.

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkyld View Post
This pregnancy has come at an extremely busy and stressful time in my career. It's warmly welcomed and was very much planned, but we had also been trying for 20 months at this point and it's startling that it happened just as everything else became even more complicated.

I work two part-time jobs, one as an adjunct professor and another as a statistican (sort of). That's not the tricky part. The demanding element is that I'm completing my PhD this semester and my applications for faculty positions and postdocs for 2010-2011 are all due within the next several months. I'm drowning in these applications and already had a lot of pressure to get more articles under review in the hopes of being able to get a position at all for next year. I'm also going to Honduras next month for a week (again, for my career).

How do you balance? I was already feeling in over my head before I knew that I'd be perpetually tired and nauseated during application season and defense preparation.
I will be back to post a response but couldn't read without I know so much about what you are talking about and will share my experiences. I HAVE to go do yoga or else exercise won't happen today.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:29 PM

Last year at this time i started my new job. I went from a job that I easily handled and in fact had started to stagnate in. SO I applied and got this HUGE new job. I was five months pregnant when I applied and got and started the job. I was not at all sure how I was going to handle it all given the scope of responsibility and the really pressing projects waiting for me. I'm also someone that does not like to rest until everything on my "to do" list is done for the day which was hard given how much earlier my days "ended" for me during my pregnancy.

I figured out an ideal daily schedule for me (including naps if necessary) based on how my body was feeling. I then worked with DH to make it happen. He really stepped up and made sure that i did not have to worry about the "extraneous" bits in life like the house being cleaned, the laundry, etc. We actually ended up hiring a cleaner to come in every other week so that we temporarily could not "waste" time on that b/c it was time I just didn't have. In doing this, we had to decide what was totally necessary for our lives to function and what was not.

I started every day with a clear list of what I HAD to get accomplished and then added on tasks at the bottom of the list that were ones that I would feel better if I accomplished them that day. this helped me with perspective. One day a week I did NOTHING work related so I didn't burn out on the pace.

Oddly enough, this helped me be more efficient than I would have been had I not been pregnant. When I left on maternity leave I had about three days of "hmmmm....I need new projects!" b/c so many had been wrapped up.

Please know that the nausea wil most likely get better and the second trimester comes a burst of energy. In fact, the nesting energy was unparalled for me in terms of home and work productivity--it's not joke that nesting! You CAN do this and you will. When you are REALLY tired, though, please allow yourself to relax, whether that's through a nap, yoga, a walk, etc.

We are here to support you! In many ways my pregnancy was very healthy b/c of my work: it kept my mind sharp and kept me MOVING (literally and figuratively).

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.

User Tag List