What to ask at first appt? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-14-2009, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tomorrow is my first appt. This is my first pregnancy and I'm guessing I'm at around 5 weeks. I'm meeting with my ob/gyn because my current insurance doesn't cover the midwife I want to use.Luckily, I get new insurance beginning of November that will cover the midwife. What are some important things to ask at first appts? And what should I expect? (knowing all drs are different just in general) I guess I'm just a little nervous and want to be prepared.

Amanda-happily married to DH fjammin.gif , mama to DSsuperhero.gif (5/19/10) and expecting #2 May 2012joy.gif

#2 of 2 Old 09-14-2009, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ddc crashing! congrats on your pregnancy!
at 5 weeks there isnt much to do yet. they might offer you a pap if you havent had one for awhile (i'd personally decline that one.) perhaps do a pelvic exam, take your b.p. and have you pee in a cup. they might take blood too.

as for asking questions, if you are planning on switching to a midwife in november then it really doesnt matter what you ask since they wont be the one delivering the babe. but maybe as a back up, i'd ask questions about their c/s rates, how "overdue" they let a mama go, what are their policies regarding declining testing, etc. etc.

if you ARENT sure how far along you are, they will probably want to do a vaginal u/s to check for a heartbeat/baby etc, but if you are just 5 weeks, there wont be much to see.

i went in at what i thought was 5 weeks because i wasnt sure of dates (i had a period the month before but it was weird) and my mw did an u/s and it turned out i was NINE weeks. surprise haha.

do they know you are just 5 weeks? i thought most obs wont see you till 8 weeks.
maybe that is just here.
anyway, good luck!

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page