An Open Letter To Myself - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-16-2009, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I would start a thread so we could all jot down the little & gentle reminders we come up with during the next nine months. Here is my first one - I can't wait to read the ones you leave!

Dear Self:

You know that show "Birthday" on Discovery Health? It needs to be permanently banned from your viewing repertoire, even if nothing else is on during the middle of the day. Read a book, knit a sweater, bake some bread, clean the bathrooms, or heaven forbid, work on the dissertation instead.

You need to surround myself with positive images and stories of pregnancy, labor, and delivery progressing in a calm, peaceful manner with as little intervention as possible. Filling your mind with those kinds of thoughts is much more conducive to a happy, healthy pregnancy.

Much love and belief in your abilities as a mother -

Me

Dissertating wife of Mr. Amazing Man, mother to Boo Bear ( ) Captain Knuckle (13), and The Professor (5). Expecting Penelope Rose 5/10/2010 via planned c/s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2009, 06:20 PM

Dear Self,

There is no hurry. Every stage is its own little celebration. Don't wish to show, don't count the days until the next week, don't ever feel like the "now" is old hat. Slow down. Notice the little things. Enjoy the gradual bloom and thank God for this day.

Livin' the good life here in Connecticut with my DH hug2.gif and our three fabulous boys grouphug.gif(4/3/06, 2/4/08 and 5/20/10) Hoping to try for Sweet Baby #4 in December! blowkiss.gif

Old 09-18-2009, 01:17 AM

Bump!

Livin' the good life here in Connecticut with my DH hug2.gif and our three fabulous boys grouphug.gif(4/3/06, 2/4/08 and 5/20/10) Hoping to try for Sweet Baby #4 in December! blowkiss.gif

Old 09-18-2009, 01:22 AM

A note to self:
Do not schedule a library trip AND all the SHOPPING on the same day. Ever. You will be so exhausted that nothing gets done. You will leave the house to get on MDC and dh will take care of all dishes and make muffins for breakfast tomorrow!!!

Do not abuse this!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 09-18-2009, 01:59 AM

Dear Self,
It does not matter what your MIL thinks about you or this pregnancy. Every baby is a blessing and God is in control. It doesn't matter that logically this does not feel or seem like a good time to be pregnant.

Cherish this moment. Your children are blessings, all of them.

Much love and admiration for all you do,
Me

p.s. You are certifiably insane for trying to have a garage sale this weekend after you and the kids have been in and out of the ER all week with bronchitis and crazy breathing problems. Chill woman. Slow down. Like seriously. Now.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Loving these so far! Here is mine for today.

Dear Self -

Try really hard not to lose your dinner while sitting at the dinner table. That's not the best way to teach the boys etiquette and manners. You could at least try to run to the garbage can. Or even better, wait until dinner is over so the rest of the family doesn't loose their appetite too.

Much love and belief -

Me

Dissertating wife of Mr. Amazing Man, mother to Boo Bear ( ) Captain Knuckle (13), and The Professor (5). Expecting Penelope Rose 5/10/2010 via planned c/s.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:09 AM

Dear Self,

Simplify. Organize. Declutter. Less stress means a healthy baby and a happy mommy....if there's anything you can find to do to cut the level of craziness and mania in your life do it. Look for ways to create peace, calm, hope, and little moments of stillness. Remember to play that classical music at the end of the day when DH is coming home from work, pick out clothes the night before, use your menu, send things that aren't needed to Goodwill. Your world will be happier if it is simple and focused on the people and not the stuff.

With much kindness,
Me

Old 09-18-2009, 01:46 PM

Dear Self,

Remember to think long and hard about having a 5th child. Each pregnancy has gotten worse with the nausea and fatigue, and you probably don't want to do this again without a housekeeper and a nanny.

Also, stay away from mainstream pregnancy boards. You know nothing good is going to come of it. You're not only going to make yourself nuts, but also your poor husband who has to listen to your rants about how ridiculous some people can be.

Don't let your MIL bother you. You know her advice should be taken with a grain of salt. Just smile and say you'll take it into consideration, then let it go.

Love,
Me

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:57 PM

Dear Self,

Although the nausea seems to get worse with each pregnancy, remember that it is a good sign our baby is growing and healthy. Stop counting the days until you hit week 7. Enjoy now. Also, remember that like everything else in life, pregnancy has stages for a reason.

Continue to surround yourself with positive thoughts, people. Continue to visualize the birth you want.
Oh and start blogging again woman! You know it's therapeutic for you.

mama to my two girls 12/04 5/07 and #3 due in May/June
Old 09-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Dear Self,

Just because you feel like crap doesn't mean you are crap. You matter and you're not screwing everything up. Keep your chin up. Do something for yourself that makes you feel more together and whole, take a moment to breathe and remember that the tide turns. You'll feel good again. Life is up and down. If there's down there has to be an up.

Love,
Me

Old 09-21-2009, 08:33 PM

Dear Self,
Enjoy this experience. It took you so long to get here, and spending all of your time worrying about weather or not the bean will stick is not going to help things. Celebrate each day and take things as they come...

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
Old 09-21-2009, 10:33 PM

Dear self,

hi it's me again. Just here to remind you that you shouldn't doubt yourself so much. Give yourself credit for the awesome mama, awesome woman, awesome person that you are. Everything happens for a reason and whatever happens with this little bean was/is meant to happen. Quit obsessing over the what ifs and celebrate the fact that you are pregnant right now! Who cares if no one else is really happy for you...YOU are happy and that's what matters. Congratulations on welcoming another babe in the family! You deserve to be happy! Remember, you are strong and confident.

Love always,

me

BFPChart2.gif

Old 09-22-2009, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Wonderful letters, mamas! I am loving reading them.

Here's mine for today:

Dear Self,

Please remind Mr. Amazing Man that the best time for conversations in not while you are bent over the toilet, feeling like you are going to toss your lunch. I know how much you love and adore the man and that he is a wonderful partner and spouse, but there are just times a girl really doesn't want to discuss the finer points of instructional design and that, dear friend, is one of them. Just let him know you would prefer to puke in peace instead of in front of an audience.

Much love,

M.

User Tag List