I can NOT believe it! I was asked already.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-17-2009, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 5 weeks 3 days! A gentleman I was working with this evening (I've only met him once before - last week), asked me if I was expecting.

I was SHOCKED! I can NOT be showing already!

I told him the truth and informed him that he was very brave and took quite a risk with that question.

I'm feeling mighty depressed to be showing already. I am NOT ready to spill the beans!

What on earth do I do now?

I was wearing jeans, a t-shirt (not too form fitting not baggy), and a cardigan sweater.

OYE!
#2 of 14 Old 09-18-2009, 12:00 AM

Yeah, I'm 5 wks today and showing...#4 and all that...we haven't told either. What erked me was that a rumor was going round my church that I was expecting two months before I was. I had gained 10 pounds because of thyroid med treatment (frustrating! to gain right BEFORE, argh!) I had people hinting to dh and MIL and someone asked me. Nope, just fat...
So now that I am, I'm expecting people to think I'm further along...nope, just showing too soon.

That guy was a tad brazen...some people...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#3 of 14 Old 09-18-2009, 09:46 AM

I'm on baby #6, 10th pregnancy, and have 4 living children, so once I start growing everything LOOKS bigger and out more. I'm so surprised that someone at work didn't ask me, I've been wearing maternity dresses because they are just more comfortable that the form fitting "regular" dress that are in styles these days, and my gut is visible, but I am also 10lbs over weight after having our last DS last year. I think I'm at 148ish right now, which for my size looks pudgy

I'm also surprised that he had the nerve to actually ask if you were pregnant, at 5 months someone asked me that with DS1 and I looked her in the eye (I was her manager at the time) and said "no, I've just put on a few pounds" her jaw dropped, then I told the truth, but really?!?!?

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#4 of 14 Old 09-18-2009, 11:02 AM

You can definitely tell with me. I am overweight but my belly has gotten alot bigger over the past few weeks and I can definitely feel the eyes on me at work... I work with mostly women who love to gossip too... SO far it's been don't ask don't tell at work though I'm sure everyone knows. I'm going to hold out until we hear a h/b to tell work, no matter how huge I am before then!

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#5 of 14 Old 09-18-2009, 11:20 AM

this made me laugh. i was acutally asked it I was pg about a week before my bfp.... uggggg

BFPChart2.gif

#6 of 14 Old 09-18-2009, 11:27 AM

People might be asking based on an intuitive hunch.. not so much size.. just a thought (either way I think its rude to ask)

Katie
Jillian (5) Ella (2) New Baby 5-16 :
#7 of 14 Old 09-18-2009, 11:46 AM

the women at my work are such gossipers that before i told anyone they were sipping about me being pregnant. In normally a healthy eater and so when they noticed i started eating anything and wearing low shoes they assumed i was pregnant! I was furious at them! Finally the leader of the bunch started asking me silly questions about why my stomach looks soooo much bigger than normal and another lady asked me if i was pregnant because my stomach is usually sooooooo flat and now its kinda sticking out there! So i guess i am showing already!

:NicoleDH: JonathanDD: JordynEDD: May 6th, 2010!!!!!!!!Its a Girl!!!!!!! ****5****10****15********25****30****35**** 40
#8 of 14 Old 09-18-2009, 03:29 PM

That guy was so rude to ask.

Long before both pregnancies I'd get asked all the time as I am a small person with a pot belly. Lots of people have no tact!
#9 of 14 Old 09-18-2009, 03:51 PM

I'm around 5wks and my dad already said he could tell I was getting bigger.

Thats great dad, just what I wanted to hear!

Wife to my LOVE Dave, Mama to Milo 8/16/07 and soon to be Mama to Sully EDD May 25th 2010
#10 of 14 Old 09-18-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Ever View Post
People might be asking based on an intuitive hunch.. not so much size.. just a thought (either way I think its rude to ask)
Some women do have that "Glow" and it probably was that over size, I agree.

Wife to my LOVE Dave, Mama to Milo 8/16/07 and soon to be Mama to Sully EDD May 25th 2010
#11 of 14 Old 09-18-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Ever View Post
I agree. I think some people are just good at figuring out a pregnant woman...that said, I also agree that it was A HUGE risk for him to ask!

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#12 of 14 Old 09-18-2009, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, I can't believe he asked. I wanted to try to keep people from knowing as long as possible but it's not really going to happen here. There's only one hospital/medical establishment of any kind here and one of my friends is the receptionist for the family medicine clinic there. Another friend is the ultrasound tech and yet more friends are doctors/nurses/lab tech - you get the picture. It seems sort of pointless for them to all know and other friends to not know. The ones that I really want to keep it from are DH's coworkers, we'll see how that goes. I usually don't show till I'm about half-way through. I don't know what's worse though, showing early or just looking bigger than normal for a few months before it becomes more obvious.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 4 wonderful kiddos . . . and now another on the way.
#13 of 14 Old 09-18-2009, 09:48 PM

I'm 5 weeks along with baby #4 and I know my belly has changed shape even though the scale says I've actually lost 3 lbs. (food aversions right now). I had to start wearing maternity clothes a few days ago because by the end of the day my stomach felt sore in my regular clothes. And of course everything maternity makes you look even bigger so I look like 4 months right now. It is hard as a woman to feel "fat" because I know realistically the baby is like the size of a grain of rice and shouldn't be making my belly bigger already. But then I remind myself these changes are all due to the wonderful things that are going on inside me.

Katana - Full time student : and SAHM to 5 kids
Boy / Girl Twins born 5/5/2010!!!
#14 of 14 Old 09-19-2009, 07:40 AM

A friend of my mother-in-law asked about a week before I found out. She's quite a character: 70 years old, Russian, *amazing* body, usually in zippered miniskirts, high heels, and Dior. We were all at my husband's parents' house for a Labor Day party. Rather than saying hello, she put her hand on my stomach and asked, "What's in there?" I was, as you can imagine, shocked and somewhat upset, but I answered "Nothing" and tried to forget about it for the rest of the party. When I told my husband, he remarked that I should have responded, "A bagel and Chinese food."

This has led to me using "Bagel" as my placeholder name for the podling. Last night I remarked that I needed Chinese food and my husband responded, "You are not having twins!"

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page