brooklyn_warbler - Another Mama of the Week (October 12-October 16) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2009, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
brooklyn_warbler - Another Mama of the Week (October 12-October 16)

Hey it's your turn!

A few from me:

Real name?

Age?

Where are you from, where do you live now?

Due date?

How long were you ttc?

Gender preference, if you have one & will you find out?

Family - husbands, wives, partners, kids, pets and more?

Occupation?

Hobbies and other activities?

Only answer those you are comfortable with

Alicia - Mother to DS (12) and finally expecting another
Living on 100 acres with the love of my life, our son, goats, chickens, ducks, a cat and 2 Chesapeakes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

And I guess you get to start mine this week too! Yay!

Alicia - Mother to DS (12) and finally expecting another
Living on 100 acres with the love of my life, our son, goats, chickens, ducks, a cat and 2 Chesapeakes!
Old 10-11-2009, 11:37 AM

What do you study?

Will your next child also have a bird-oriented name?

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
Old 10-11-2009, 04:45 PM

What is the first book you want to read with the baby?

I keep thinking your having a girl, if you do will your girls ever match each other? Crystal always wants to matching Libby but being 8 years apart that is hard. LOL

What family values will you enjoy sharing with this baby?

Will the home behind the blue door in brooklyn be a good size with another baby still?

How are you feeling?

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
Old 10-12-2009, 01:16 AM

What is your favorite cold weather drink?

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
Old 10-12-2009, 02:18 PM

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be? Anywhere in the US?

If you could live anywhere with nothing to get in your way, ie cost, where would it be?

How do you think having this baby will change you?

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:21 PM

fun!

Real name?robina

Age? just turned 30!

Where are you from, where do you live now? i grew up in brooklyn, though we moved back and forth between ny and lahore, pakistan over the course of my childhood. i still live in brooklyn!

Due date? may 3rd

How long were you ttc? ummmm....we weren't. this baby was a huge surprise and i actually cried when i got the positive pregnancy test. now at 11 weeks i am just starting to feel comfortable with the idea!!

Gender preference, if you have one & will you find out? no real preference, but i do get boy vibes. we don't find out until birth, nope!

Family - husbands, wives, partners, kids, pets and more? my husband is andy; we've been together 9.5 years (married for 4). our first daughter wren will be 2 in almost exactly a month! and we have a dog and two cats.

Occupation? i am currently a phd student and am mostly at home, writing my dissertation. i have a fellowship that involves working with faculty to integrate "writing-to-learn" methods into their curriculum -- that takes me out of the house a staggering 5 hours a week, lol. prior to this fellowship i taught my way through my doctoral program for 4 years.

Hobbies and other activities? i fancy myself something of a writer and have a blog and also write for new york family magazine. i love to cook and bake although all of that gets put on the backburner in the first tri since everything makes me want to barf. i have a garden. i'm a beginner knitter and sewer. i work out fairly religiously. prior to having wren we were insane travelers but we're waiting for our kids to get a bit bigger before we start that up again.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

Old 10-12-2009, 03:25 PM

What do you study? technically my phd will be in english with a certificate in american studies. specifically i work on 19th century african american literature and culture. i do a lot of archival work.

Will your next child also have a bird-oriented name? haha, cute question. no, probably not; we're kind of averse to themes. actually one of the girl names we've liked for a long time is not technically a bird name but could be interpreted as such and so we're waffling about whether we could use it without seeming too "theme-y." (my guess is we won't end up using it, unless baby comes out and that is clearly her name.)

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

Old 10-12-2009, 03:38 PM

OH! I'd love to see your blog , if you wouldn't mind you could PM me if you don't want to share?

Since you love travel, where would you like to go next? What places do you want to share with your kids? Favorite place on earth?

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
Old 10-12-2009, 03:39 PM

What is the first book you want to read with the baby? this is a sweet question. we are all about books in this house so it's relevant too. my guess though will be...whatever wren wants to read to the baby. i get the sense that a lot of those early nursing sessions will be filled with non-stop reading to wren (as that is her favourite activity anyway)!

I keep thinking your having a girl, if you do will your girls ever match each other? Crystal always wants to matching Libby but being 8 years apart that is hard. LOL wow! you're the first person with girl vibes for me, which is nice because i am getting annoyed at all the boy guesses (even though i sometimes think boy too, lol!). anyway to answer your question, i don't think i will match them on purpose, but if they want to i will try to accommodate them! if left to my own devices i would likely match them in unexpected ways that were subtle...or make them completely clash. lol.

What family values will you enjoy sharing with this baby? i think our sense of humor -- we are all goofballs and there is a lot of laughter in this house. i was making a video for wren a while back and i was struck by how often one or all three of us are giggling in all the little clips i was editing. i hope that is something wren and our future children hear/think of whenever they think back on their childhood. other than that, our commitments to social justice and to being thoughtful inhabitants of the earth (which actually means a lot of different things but i won't get too lengthy here unless someone is actually interested! lol!).

Will the home behind the blue door in brooklyn be a good size with another baby still? yes, we are lucky enough to have lots of room to grow in our house. eventually we will take over another floor, mostly likely, but for the next few years our one floor (plus basement) 3br is big enough for us. despite this, we will probably all still stay in our huge master bedroom for a while...i kind of love the family bed though eventually we'll move the two kids out into their own room when the new beeb is old enough.

How are you feeling? really sick, but i think the fog is starting to clear and i can see the end of it coming. it's so funny because during wren's pregnancy i blogged that "i might be feeling a SMIDGE better" at 10w6d and at 10w5d this time i told andy "i *might* be starting to see how i *might* be starting to feel just a little better." haha! these pregnancies have been total mirror pregnancies so far. i get hit very hard by morning sickness and it was way harder this time around with a toddler.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:45 PM

enjoying learning a little about you-
where have you traveled and how do you tend to travel? (i.e. hostels, backpacking, etc)

Mama to L 5.12.10 ...Expecting another 1/1/12!

Old 10-12-2009, 06:13 PM

What were your experiences like in Lahore? I assigned a short paper on The Dancing Girls of Lahore to my students as an extra-credit assignment. I'm waiting to hear what they thought about the text (and to see how many of them actually decided to tackle the assignment).

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
Old 10-12-2009, 06:25 PM

We try to be thoughtful inhabitants of the earth as well, so I for one would love to hear you expound on that

favorite music?
play any musical instruments?
currently reading?

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
Old 10-13-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecaut View Post
What is your favorite cold weather drink?
what a good question!! hmmm...i love all hot drinks i must say. i drink tea and coffee all year round...coffee only in the morning (and often decaf) but tea i could drink all day...pumpkin lattes are something i crave in fall...we made this awesome spiced cider for wren's birthday last year that sounds SO GOOD right now (although it had some alcohol in it)...

but my heart belongs to hot chocolate. it may not be what i drink the most but it is very much what i like to drink the best in winter. yummmmmm.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:32 PM

sorry it's taking me so long to tackle these -- i only get moments here or there when wren's napping and i'm not trying to get work done.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be? Anywhere in the US?
hmmmm! everywhere?! we've been so many places so far (see below!) that there are few specific places i'm dying to go to now, but i am also dying to go everywhere. does that make sense? i think we had china next on our list. i would like to travel around africa too -- so many countries there i'm not sure i could pick off the top of my head. and i want to see cuba. and i would like to travel up and down south america, especially brazil. oh! i can't choose.

If you could live anywhere with nothing to get in your way, ie cost, where would it be?
i am completely content exactly where i am though if cost was not a concern we would take over the whole house.

How do you think having this baby will change you?
oh, gee! i don't know. having wren brought so many wonderful things to me -- i feel like such a more patient, kind, loving, thoughtful person now. my biggest concern is that it will be harder to be patient with two because my patience and empathy is one of the things i pride myself on as a mama. but maybe it will be more natural and easy of a transition than i expect (as it was the first time). i do anticipate having two kids will be amazing and glorious in so many ways i can't even imagine yet. i think each kid is destined to teach you all sorts of things you didn't know, especially about yourself.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?
you are bringing out all the difficult questions! this is a really hard one for us because the future is really wide open as both my husband and i are currently in grad school. we feel it would probably be difficult for both of us to pursue the competitive jobs we have set ourselves up for so here are some of the possibilities we've considered:

* he could be in a tenure-track academic position and i could be a) at home; b) freelance writing; c) adjuncting.
* i could be in a tenure-track position and he could be at home.
* he could be in some kind of 9-5 banky/government/think tank job and i could be a) at home; b) freelance writing; c) adjuncting.
* he could be in the foreign service and i would be spending half my time overseas with him and half my time at home, possibly writing or adjuncting but probably not.
* we could both be in pakistan doing peace-core-esque jobs in english and business.

all we know is that we'll both have our doctorates in the next 2 (possibly 3 for him) years. after that we have no idea what will happen. god willing we will have a 12 year old (yikes!), a 9 year old, and hopefully a 6 year old...maybe more? who knows. our kids may be homeschooled or in public school. no idea yet. it depends on our kids a lot.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:02 PM

OH! I'd love to see your blog , if you wouldn't mind you could PM me if you don't want to share?

well i actually have two blogs -- one on livejournal that i've had since 2003 (!) and which has a pretty big readership, but which requires you have a livejournal account to read. that one is pretty active.

the public blogger one is here:

songs of a brooklyn warbler

my caveat with that one is i had just started it and then i found out i was pregnant and i wasn't ready to publicly blog through a miscarriage so i haven't posted since i found out i was pregnant (though i've been journaling on the lj)! but i'm already feeling beeb move and feel pretty assured we will hear a heartbeat at my appointment next week (i'll be 12w1d) so expect a new post that day! anyway there's a few months of posts up there so it's still a good intro and i expect to start blogging again regularly starting next week. thanks for asking!

whooooooops wren's up...i'll get to your other question later.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:51 AM

Hi Robina--

So disappointed that time has kept me away from your thread this week

Anyway, thank you for the blog link; it gives me more opportunity to spy on you via the web.

I met a little sibling duo the other day named ZORA and LANGSTON and thought of you! I love the name LANGSTON and both authors are awesome so I thought it was super.

What is your favorite part of your cultural heritage?

Do you have a favorite memory of Pakistan?

Do you speak Urdu?

Is your husband Pakistani, too?

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:06 AM

ok, trying to finish these up now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalemama17 View Post
enjoying learning a little about you-
where have you traveled and how do you tend to travel? (i.e. hostels, backpacking, etc)
oh goodness, okay, where have i have traveled...

well, when i was a child we traveled all over india/pakistan and many places along the way (the netherlands, the uk, germany, etc).

but here are the countries i've been to since i became an "adult":
italy
england
the netherlands
austria
the czech republic
slovenia
croatia
turkey
greece
russia
bosnia
pakistan
india
nepal
panama (and we walked into costa rica lol)

and canada if that counts.

i THINK that's it? honestly i have a bit of a headache and it all gets blurry after a while!

my husband and i used to be the master of the "let's see 6 countries in 7 days" kind of trip (except our trips have always been like 6 weeks long) but we've learned to tone it down a good deal, and now that we have kid(s) the trips will be a lot more lowkey. and yes we mostly do backpacking although we only do hostels if we can get a private room. in most of the places we've traveled we can stay in hotels on the cheap.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkyld View Post
What were your experiences like in Lahore? I assigned a short paper on The Dancing Girls of Lahore to my students as an extra-credit assignment. I'm waiting to hear what they thought about the text (and to see how many of them actually decided to tackle the assignment).
how did they do with it?

honestly, my experiences in lahore never seemed that much more interesting to me than my experiences in brooklyn. i mean, obviously the cultures are extremely different in many ways, but not in the ways that would make a bit of difference to a child.

of course one thing i did notice even as a small child was the level of poverty there and it was something that really shaped who i am. my family is descended from what you might call a "patron saint" of the poor in islam, and we used to be caretakers of the mosque where he is still buried. people flock there because there is almost always somebody giving out food for free, so i experienced a lot of really abject poverty around where i lived and i am pretty sure it has made me who i am and made me very concerned with social justice even as a teenager. it is really important to me that my children also realize that not everyone has the privileges we have in the united states. i think it was an important lesson for me. i never took my life for granted.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emnic77 View Post
We try to be thoughtful inhabitants of the earth as well, so I for one would love to hear you expound on that

favorite music?
play any musical instruments?
currently reading?
well, i will do a quick answer to that one. environmentally speaking we cloth diaper/try not to use disposable products, we garden, we compost, we are veg, we only buy organic, we eat only local produce, etc etc etc. we are really conscious consumers, though i kind of hate that term. we are trying to be good "citizens of the world" and be kind, generous, thoughtful ones at that. it sorts of informs all of our choices.

oooo favourite music is a good question but a hard one. i LOVE music and i guess you could say i am partial to "indie rock" but it's easier to give you a sampling of some of the stuff i'm into...one of my favourite bands ever, hands down, is wolf parade. lately i've been into noah and the whale, the leisure society, thao & the get down stay down, someone still loves you boris yeltsin...i like old decemberists stuff, grizzly bear, sufjan stevens...

i used to play both guitar and drums but haven't picked up either since i was a teenager.

i am currently reading, on top of stuff for my dissertation, this FABULOUS novel called _a brief history of the dead_. highly recommend it. the last best book i read was _little bee_ -- AMAZING novel. read it!

Old 10-18-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish11 View Post
Hi Robina--

So disappointed that time has kept me away from your thread this week

Anyway, thank you for the blog link; it gives me more opportunity to spy on you via the web.

I met a little sibling duo the other day named ZORA and LANGSTON and thought of you! I love the name LANGSTON and both authors are awesome so I thought it was super.

What is your favorite part of your cultural heritage?

Do you have a favorite memory of Pakistan?

Do you speak Urdu?

Is your husband Pakistani, too?

yay! spy away. i get kind of discouraged by my blogspot blog because i always get a lot of comments on my lj one and with the new blog i hate feeling like i'm writing to no-one. i know it takes time but you know, it's discouraging.

i LOVE both zora and langston! so cute. andy doesn't like the name zora too much though.

my favourite part of my cultural heritage is the emphasis on family. i have a huge extended family and they are a huge part of our life. i think the isolation of the american family is one of our biggest failings as a culture, not just for the practical effects but ideologically...but i won't go into that hear (i have a tendency to be all verbose and political sometimes lol). i also really appreciate the religious emphasis on charity/helping the poor. it is an important part of my faith.

my favourite memory of pakistani is definitely of being there in the summers and waiting for rain and then when it rained everyone would be on the streets and the rooftops, and the children would be throwing buckets of water at each other and we'd be using our water guns (kind of superfluous) just so soaked and excited. one of my favourite passages from this great book _maximum city_ is this because i feel it sums up those feelings so well:

all the children in the world are out dancing in the streets and the parking lots and the gullies, and for once the cars are stilled by the mighty juvenile throng, with the invisible force of the monsoon at their backs. big drops of water are coming down very close together, walls of water, worlds of water. and you are in the middle of it and nothing can be seen except the water. there is lightning and all is daylight again, but only for an instant. you raise your face to the water and wash the summer off. it enters your eyes and nose and mouth and carries away all sin and sorrow with it

i do speak urdu although i wish i was better about speaking it with wren. she already understands so much, but mostly because my dad exclusively speaks it to her (per our request). i was better about it but the first tri has made me lazy. it's been hard because no one in my house speaks it so i'm always communicating in english anyway...when i'm in pakistan it's like i'm suddenly fluent again but in my little house where no one speaks urdu it's a struggle to remember to do it and i feel all slow when i focus on it. but i need to be better about it.

and that leads me to your last question! no, andy is not pakistani... he is totally new england farm boy! lol. you should have seen his family at the subcontinental parts of our wedding!!

Old 10-19-2009, 12:50 AM

fav color?
fav food?
fav season?

Jessicaintactlact.gif, wife to Derricklurk.gif, missing Joslyn angel3.gif, 22 weeks 06.18.08, rainbow1284.gifBaby Kai Ambrose 05.10.10 and Isla Blythe born on Thanksgiving '12 uc.jpg

User Tag List