Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and up this week is our lovely organizer AliciaP8

here are the general starter questions:

A few from me:

Real name?

Age?

Where are you from, where do you live now?

Due date?

How long were you ttc?

Gender preference, if you have one & will you find out?

Family - husbands, wives, partners, kids, pets and more?

Occupation?

Hobbies and other activities?

and a couple from me:

how did you meet your DH?

tell us a bit about your home, the land, etc. what's your favourite spot in your house?

i am so jealous of your goats!! can you tell me a bit about living with them? how many do you have?

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#2 of 26 Old 10-12-2009, 12:17 AM

What is your favorite piece of clothing to wear?

Do you paint your toenails?

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
#3 of 26 Old 10-12-2009, 12:38 AM

What are you reading these days?

What book do you really look forward to sharing with your baby?

Is your life like you thought it would be growing up?

What will change when baby gets here?

How did you find your way to this site?

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#4 of 26 Old 10-12-2009, 11:53 AM

Real name? Alicia

Age? just turned 35 a week ago

Where are you from, where do you live now? I was born in Nova Scotia and I live here now. I've lived in a few other provinces in between but this is home.

Due date? Early May

How long were you ttc? 5 years give or take. Actually this month is 6years since we decided to TTC but my husband got sick and needed chemo before we got to start trying.

Gender preference, if you have one & will you find out? We don't plan to find out but that could change. I felt it was ag irl at first but now I don't have a feeling. Dh wants a boy but we'll bth be happy with whichever

Family - husbands, wives, partners, kids, pets and more? husband, Donnie, son Isaac is 12, we have 2 Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, 1 cat, chickens ad goats and ducks.

Occupation? I have a law degree but I work for department of agriculture in legislation and regulation.

Hobbies and other activities? photography, a bit of scrapbooking, I love cooking and baking, outdoor stuff, my animals and my home.

and a couple from me:

how did you meet your DH? We met online! Strange but true. We arranged to meet in person a week or two after we started talking and it was love at first sight. He was a single Dad of a 4 year old who is now our 12 year old son.

tell us a bit about your home, the land, etc. what's your favourite spot in your house? I love our house. We built it ourselves over the last few years. We knew we wanted a substantial piece of land and had been lokig for several years. We found this place that met our requirements and then got busy. It was a great experience. My favorite spot must be the kitchen. I love cooking and I can see into the living rom and our great view. We kept a blog during building but it's not up to date right now. http://www.lush-home.blogspot.com/

i am so jealous of your goats!! can you tell me a bit about living with them? how many do you have? We have 2 goats right now. They are Nubians and very friendly and vocal. I'm hoping to breed them soon to have babies and make milk. They don't take much work but they do need attention. Oh, their names are Chloe and Carmen.

Alicia - Mother to DS (12) and finally expecting another
Living on 100 acres with the love of my life, our son, goats, chickens, ducks, a cat and 2 Chesapeakes!
#5 of 26 Old 10-12-2009, 12:46 PM

Alicia, I love the pictures of your house.

I love Nova Scotia - we honeymooned in October (2005) in Parrsboro, and decided that if we could live anywhere, it just might be there. It was just stunningly gorgeous. We drove along the coast from Yarmouth and then spent time in Cape D'or & Truro. We stayed in a B&B with a lovely family, we can't wait to go back. We intended to spend time in Halifax too, but we loved it in the Bay of Fundy so much that we never got to Halifax.

Special talents?

Music you can't live without?

Books you can't live without?

TV shows, if you watch TV, that you love?

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#6 of 26 Old 10-12-2009, 01:16 PM

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be? Anywhere in the US?

If you could live anywhere with nothing to get in your way, ie cost, where would it be?

How do you think having this baby will change you?

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#7 of 26 Old 10-12-2009, 03:02 PM

Apecaut, I'm not a clothes person much to my mother and sister's dismay. If it's comfy - especially warm and fuzzy I love it. LOL I do love my high heeled red leather boots but I on't wear heels anymore due to my back bothering me. They're still in the closet though.

I almost ver do my toes but I do get a pedicure a couple of times a year and ths summer I let my sister talk me into something other than clear polish. It was her wedding so what could I say? LOL

Living on 100 acres with the love of my life, our son, goats, chickens, ducks, a cat and 2 Chesapeakes!
#8 of 26 Old 10-12-2009, 03:18 PM

I love your house! I love goats too. I have sheep .

What are you hopes for your birth?

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
#9 of 26 Old 10-12-2009, 05:09 PM

What are you reading these days? KEeping Faith by Jodi Picoult. I'm not sure that I love it but it's a decent read.

What book do you really look forward to sharing with your baby? This is a silly book but my siblings and I love it - Garbage Delight. Also, any of the classic chidlren's books.

Is your life like you thought it would be growing up? Sort of. I expected to be living off the land somewhat. That's how I grew up. It really took me 15 years from leaving home to getting back to that life though.

What will change when baby gets here? Less sleep? LOL I think the biggest change for us will be having someone so depedant on us. We're getting used to Isaac not needing us for every little thing anymore and it's nice in a way but also sad. That will change for sure.

How did you find your way to this site? I used to get the magazie when Isaac was younger.

#10 of 26 Old 10-12-2009, 05:16 PM

emnic77, it is a pretty place for sure. Halifax is a bit more cultural than the south shore and the bay of fundy but the shore is probably more beautiful. I work in Truro but we live closer to the Eastern Shore.

Special talents? Um, not sure. I do some nice photography. Mostly nature stuff. My whole family is artistic. I can make a meal out of anything. That's a talent I guess.

Music you can't live without? I love classic rock but as long as there's music I'm happy. Especially in the car.

Books you can't live without? I recently read Animal, Vegetable, Moracle and I'll always keep it near. I ca't imagine life without the Little House books growing up. I Grow It! when I was a teen and really solidified my views of self sustainability which we haven't acheived but we do try to do a bit of.

TV shows, if you watch TV, that you love? We download shows but don;t have reception. We got addicted to True Blood this summer and watchd all 2 seasons. Isaac and I love LOST. Most TV is just guilty pleasure stuff for me We probably watch a show evry other night. We gave up TV reception about 4 years ago and have really liked it. We don;t watch unless we want to and it's never just on as background noise. It's nice.

#11 of 26 Old 10-12-2009, 05:21 PM

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be? Anywhere in the US? Well, I'm Canadian but I have been to the US a number of times. I'd love to return to Louisianna sometime. I had a wonderful trip there in 2000. In the world, I'd like to get to Britian but I can't say there is anywhere exotic I'm thinking of right now. I have a brother in Madrid, Spain that works in Mumbai. We're hoping to visit him during my maternity leave. He's switchng jobs this winter and will be working in Angola but neither Mumbai or Angola would be where we visit him.

If you could live anywhere with nothing to get in your way, ie cost, where would it be? Totally self sufficient and isolated physically from the world. I'd love that.

How do you think having this baby will change you? Maybe make me more outwardly emotional. I tend to keep my feelings inside sometimes.

Where do you see yourself in ten years? We will be living here. I'll have one child in college or out working and another in Grade 4 or thereabouts. I'd like to be home but I'll probably still be working full time.

#12 of 26 Old 10-12-2009, 05:22 PM

I love Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. We are very into self-sustainability here, too. Trying to do it on a quarter acre lot in the middle of a not-quite-urban, not-quite-suburban town, too. But we're allowed to have 5 chickens! We get them next spring. We're also trying to perfect intensive gardening to get the most out of our bit of land. I'm jealous of your goats!

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#13 of 26 Old 10-12-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiberLover View Post
I love your house! I love goats too. I have sheep .

What are you hopes for your birth?
That makes sense considering your name! And thanks.

I am having a midwife but birthing at the hospital. We're about an hour fromt he hospital and that's not within my husband's comfort zone. There are also regulations which prevent me from having a home birth out here anyway :/ I've been thinking I'd birth at home since I was 16.

#14 of 26 Old 10-12-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emnic77 View Post
I love Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. We are very into self-sustainability here, too. Trying to do it on a quarter acre lot in the middle of a not-quite-urban, not-quite-suburban town, too. But we're allowed to have 5 chickens! We get them next spring. We're also trying to perfect intensive gardening to get the most out of our bit of land. I'm jealous of your goats!
Ooh, what kind if chickens are you getting? We have rhode island reds, silver laceds wyandottes, and speckled sussex. I'd like some birds that lay coloured eggs and we're also thinking about getting some Marans. We got 27 chicks this spring but we're still only getting 6 eggs a day. We have 17 hens and 4 roosters now. The other 6 roosters are in the freezer.

#15 of 26 Old 10-12-2009, 05:28 PM

We had silver laced wyandottes growing up (I grew up in rural upstate NY). Nice birds. We're going with Buff Orpingtons and Black Astrolorps. They both came highly recommended as "backyard breeds" from our local chicken lady.
Plus, they're big fluffy chickens and I just love the way they look. Not broody, and friendly as well as being super prolific layers.

Buff Orpington:
http://koicraze.com/yahoo_site_admin....103212211.jpg

seriously, isn't that a magnificent looking chicken??

#16 of 26 Old 10-12-2009, 08:30 PM

They are really nice. I like the full bodies. You'll love having eggs if you don't go crazy waiting for the first one. I sweat I was checking 3 times a day for a month before I got one!

#17 of 26 Old 10-12-2009, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I loved "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" too. My husband and I are currently looking for our dream home and we would love to find some land where we could grow food and have animals.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#18 of 26 Old 10-13-2009, 12:16 PM

The animals are so nice to have. They do keep you close to home though. For us to go away we need to rope my FIL in to looking after them for us. When we went away for a week last year my dad came up and stayed.

#19 of 26 Old 10-13-2009, 02:24 PM

What kind of goats do you have and how many?
I'm hoping to get two next spring and breed them in the fall, then raise the girls and have milk.

We also have chickens too. We had 35 but culled 7 of our roosters because we had too many, then my fav rooster died suddenly and one of the hens died from an egg problem so we are down to 1 rooster and 25 hens. We're getting a little over a dozen eggs a day so far. We have black australorps, red sex links, golden sex links and buff orpingtons. I love having chickens.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#20 of 26 Old 10-13-2009, 03:12 PM

We have 2 nubian does. I'm hoping to breed them very soon but not having much luck finding a buck nearby. We got both as little doelings and rasied them so we've had one for over a year and the other since March.

Our chickens are much less work and we could leave them for a few days with food and water. We just wouldn't let them outside of their pen. Normally when we're home they free range all day.

#21 of 26 Old 10-13-2009, 04:54 PM

I love Buff Orpingtons! I have a few .

Marans are great, I say get a few, we have 2 Cuckoo Maran hens, and they lay the nicest dark chocolate brown eggs, sometimes with spots!

Nubians are cute goats .

OK, how about best recipe for a freezer rooster?

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
#22 of 26 Old 10-13-2009, 08:44 PM

Here's how my family prefers freezer rooster and it's nothing fancy.

Basically throw the thawed or frozen bird in the crock pot. Place a peeled whole onion in the cavity. Sprinkle with some pepper and herbs of yuor choice. These guys like summer savory which gives sort of a holiday turkey flavour I guess. Cook it all day while I'm at work. Race home. Pull the crock out and put it in the oven with no cover while I cook mashed potatoes, broccoli, corn etc and then make gravy. That's the deal. These boys are meat and potato fans.

Now the duck, I do interesting things with. We have duck au poivre last week with pasta - so yummy.

#23 of 26 Old 10-16-2009, 07:44 AM

I'm so bummed that I've been so busy this week that I've missed most of your week Boooooooo! I hate it when work gets in the way of what really matters!

First of all, I love your house and your goats and your chickens. What a stunning life--so beautiful. I also remembered while reading this that i have Kingsolver's book and have not read it yet! I will get to it.

I want to visit Nova Scotia so badly. What's the temp like in the summer? Also, the fact that you have chessies is super--they are from Maryland after all Oddly enough given that I live in the city I don't see that many but have plenty of friends who live on the Eastern shore and owning at least one is requisite to buying a house there.

Do you have any names you are batting around yet for your little one?

Do you ever download any of the cooking shows?

LOST is only a couple of months away!!!!!!

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#24 of 26 Old 10-17-2009, 03:50 PM

I know, iagine how they expect us to actually do work to get paid! LOL

Nov Scotia is nice in the summer (to me) but August and September are really the nicest. It can be cool and rainy through July even. In August it's common to get high 20s, low 30s for extended periods of time. It's a bit coler but so nice in September. That's Celcius.

I LOVE my Chessies. Well, my boy, Blake is a true Chessie in every sense of the word. Our girl, April is much different. Less bull headed but definitely sneakier and a guard dog to our family. I've had Blake for almost 9 years and April for 4. She was supposed to be a dog for our son but she claimed my Dh instead.

My Dh surprised me last weekend on the name. He wants a boy but I think it's a girl. I suggested the one boy name I had in mind and thought I'd have to work on him and he said he loves it. We're not telling until the birth though. Not even my parents. My Mom asked us at thanksgiving dinner last weekend and DH told her he couldn't decide between Fonzie and Potsy. Nice.

I haven't downloaded any cooking but I sort of like to watch Top Chef so I really should. I'm the type of personality that it's all of nothing so if I start I'll have to download every single episode and watch them in order etc etc. I think I have an addictive personality or something. TV is just bad for me. I'm insane about LOST. No one is allowed to speak or interact with me and I can't even stand if someone phones and interrupts! That said, I'm eagerly awaiting LOST.

#25 of 26 Old 10-17-2009, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I just noticed in your sig that you have ducks. What type are they? Do you keep them for eggs or meat?

I would love to have Indian Runner ducks for eggs (no way I could eat them) partly because I love ducks and partly because they are more snake proof than chickens.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#26 of 26 Old 10-18-2009, 04:08 PM

We have Muscovy Ducks. They're just old enough to eat now but haven't laid any eggs. We ate two already and they were very good. The rest we'll keep for eggs.

Our chickens lay eggs for us each day though and they are delicious!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page