~~~~New England Mamas Thread~~~~ - Mothering Forums
1 2 
May 2010 > ~~~~New England Mamas Thread~~~~
Jelinifer's Avatar Jelinifer 06:18 PM 10-22-2009
For all of us mamas out there living in the northeast... to talk about local gatherings and goings on for expecting gals and their babes and to gripe about wacky weather patterns making it hard to dress/sleep/function

wobit's Avatar wobit 06:59 PM 10-22-2009
Hi!

Can I enthuse about my favorite pregnancy and baby store? Mothers and Company (with which I have no affiliation) recently moved into new digs in West Boylston, MA. I dropped by to get some diaper liners and while they're still getting unpacked, it is gorgeous! They have all kinds of nice prenatal and post-partum classes and sell cloth diaper supplies and baby carriers and pump parts and nursing bras. They're going to have a week of fun "grand opening" celebration events I think the first week of November.

I'm hoping my husband will watch my toddler so I can go to their next Birth Circle 11/6.

Other than that, how nuts was the snow on Sunday???? Snow before Hallowe'en?

whit
Jelinifer's Avatar Jelinifer 07:20 PM 10-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobit View Post
Hi!

Can I enthuse about my favorite pregnancy and baby store? Mothers and Company (with which I have no affiliation) recently moved into new digs in West Boylston, MA. I dropped by to get some diaper liners and while they're still getting unpacked, it is gorgeous! They have all kinds of nice prenatal and post-partum classes and sell cloth diaper supplies and baby carriers and pump parts and nursing bras. They're going to have a week of fun "grand opening" celebration events I think the first week of November.

I'm hoping my husband will watch my toddler so I can go to their next Birth Circle 11/6.

Other than that, how nuts was the snow on Sunday???? Snow before Hallowe'en?

whit
Oh my gosh!!!! I have been stalking their website (haven't been in yet but their new store is on my commute path if I want to do the more mellow Route 12 commute) and I saw the ad for the next Birth Circle and was thinking of going Their dad's night out at the brew place looks like something DH would love.... but probably would feel weird about since he's only a dad-to-be.

Holy moly- the snow!!! I get razzed alot for this, but I do love it. It so much prettier than rain! Did it stick for you guys? It didn't stick up here in NH but alot of my coworkers in the Rutland/Paxton area said they had to brush off their cars....
wobit's Avatar wobit 07:32 PM 10-22-2009
Oh, I don't mind the snow when I'm looking at it through the window. I've spent most my life feeling cold so I have some knee-jerk unhappiness when I see it though. I'm so looking forward to my little heat-generating fetus getting bigger, being warm is a great side effect of pregnancy. It didn't stick for us, but I'm sure we'll get snowed in soon enough.

I hadn't noticed that MoCo has daddy events! They are growing so quickly. It would be fun to run into you if you and I both end up able to go (very unclear for me, as of yet).
preggymeaggy's Avatar preggymeaggy 07:35 PM 10-22-2009
Jen! Yay...thanks for starting this thread! I'm in Rockland, MA, so that's probably farther south than you ladies ever go. But so psyched to see local mamas!

I've never heard of Mothers and Company..gonna have to check it out! Another good cloth diapering store is The Diaper Lab in Somerville. And lets see..Hatched in JP is okay...great toys and clothing but a little over priced. And Crunchy Granola Baby in Salem is great! Haven't been there in ages though. I know they host LLL meetings, mama meetups, and just have cool stuff in general. That's actually where I first learned about Mothering!

The snow was crazy...but of course now it's beautiful! Like they say, if you don't like the weather in New England, wait 5 minutes!
Jelinifer's Avatar Jelinifer 08:12 PM 10-22-2009
Meag- thanks for joining us! I am definitely going to have to hop the T to check out the Diaper Lab... that place looks way too cool!

We have a small store in the town I live in (Milford, NH) called Stork that has100% organic baby and kids clothes with alot of organic toys and BPA-free USA made plastic toys. I think you can order off of their website too....
http://www.storkorganicbaby.com/

Wobit- the daddy event sponsored by MoCo seems like it is being held at a brew house/restaurant in Worcester where dads can hang out and try their hand at making beer. Sounds pretty neat They are growing like crazy! I'm always checking their event/class listings and it seems like they are always adding the neatest things to their list
emnic77's Avatar emnic77 08:30 PM 10-22-2009
I've been meaning to check out the Diaper Lab over in Somerville. I'm in Belmont, an awesome kid's consignment shop opened up here called Growing Up, it's fantastic, and the woman that runs it rocks. It's chock full of everything, clothes, toys, diapers, maternity clothes, furniture, strollers...I love it. I'm really trying to not buy much NEW stuff this time around so I'm loving this place.

The snow stuck around here a bit! In shady spots. I was at a birthday party with DS and the kids were SO excited to see the snow.
Jelinifer's Avatar Jelinifer 10:44 AM 10-23-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by emnic77 View Post
I've been meaning to check out the Diaper Lab over in Somerville. I'm in Belmont, an awesome kid's consignment shop opened up here called Growing Up, it's fantastic, and the woman that runs it rocks. It's chock full of everything, clothes, toys, diapers, maternity clothes, furniture, strollers...I love it. I'm really trying to not buy much NEW stuff this time around so I'm loving this place.

The snow stuck around here a bit! In shady spots. I was at a birthday party with DS and the kids were SO excited to see the snow.
The Belmont store sounds great Em! I think I'm going to have to break out a map of the T and just go around some Saturday to all the different Boston Area stores with DH and stock up on baby loot

We're going to be in Boston on Halloween for a concert and (hopefully) the Boston Vegetarian Festival so I may try and make a stop at the diaper lab since we'll have our car with us...
Carliegirl's Avatar Carliegirl 07:42 PM 10-23-2009
I'm in Connecticut...so barely New England. Nice to see other mothers in "the neighborhood." *grin* I was really excited about the snow and cold weather and am just a little sad to have sunny days and 70 degrees again. I'm ready for winter now! Bring it on! My Michigan roots must be showing.
Jelinifer's Avatar Jelinifer 07:55 PM 10-23-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carliegirl View Post
I'm in Connecticut...so barely New England. Nice to see other mothers in "the neighborhood." *grin* I was really excited about the snow and cold weather and am just a little sad to have sunny days and 70 degrees again. I'm ready for winter now! Bring it on! My Michigan roots must be showing.
You guys should have come to New Hampshire! We didn't get any of the sunny warm weather that MA got and it stayed very cold here
Jelinifer's Avatar Jelinifer 08:08 PM 10-23-2009
Something you gals may be able to help me out with- suggestions of some good restaurants near the Orpheum Theater? We've never been there and will be there next weekend for the concert. DH and I aren't really into super fancy places- even a cheap little cafe would make us happy
preggymeaggy's Avatar preggymeaggy 10:22 PM 10-23-2009
oh man...I'm not really help with the restaurants. We never really get the chance to go out and eat...and when we do it's not anywhere near there! Have fun! I'm really looking forward to Halloween this year!
emnic77's Avatar emnic77 12:23 PM 10-24-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelinifer View Post
Something you gals may be able to help me out with- suggestions of some good restaurants near the Orpheum Theater? We've never been there and will be there next weekend for the concert. DH and I aren't really into super fancy places- even a cheap little cafe would make us happy
1. How "near" the Orpheum do you want to be? Chinatown is a quick jaunt away and you can't miss with any place down there.

2. What type of food are you looking for?

Mantra is just around the corner, and is amazing, but might be a little fancier than you want.
Silvertone Bar & Grill is right around the corner - decent, $10-$20 entrees, casual...nothing spectacular but they are pretty good standard fare.
Jelinifer's Avatar Jelinifer 12:30 PM 10-24-2009
Quote:
1. How "near" the Orpheum do you want to be? Chinatown is a quick jaunt away and you can't miss with any place down there.

2. What type of food are you looking for?

Mantra is just around the corner, and is amazing, but might be a little fancier than you want.
Silvertone Bar & Grill is right around the corner - decent, $10-$20 entrees, casual...nothing spectacular but they are pretty good standard fare.
We're going to spending the day at the Reggie Lewis Athletic Center on Tremont St. and then will be going to the Orpheum that night for the concert... so anything within a quick walking distance of either... DH and I will be in jeans and sneakers so really casual is probably our best bet.... Bonus points if you can think of anything vegetarian-friendly but actual type of food is flexible. DH and I are both very easy to please if I can find a veggie dish
emnic77's Avatar emnic77 12:40 PM 10-24-2009
The Reggie Lewis Athletic Center doesn't really have anything but pizza joints nearby. It's in a kind of no-mans land as far as other stuff around. Funny, when are you going to be there? I'll be there November 1, my daughter has a karate tournament there that day.

There are a ton of thai places around the Orpheum, but I think most are in a 7/8 block walk. I'm realizing that most of the time when I'm down there I'm looking at the beer list more than the food list. LOL

There are a ton of options though, if you wander around you'll find something.
Jelinifer's Avatar Jelinifer 02:58 PM 10-24-2009
Em- we'll be there on Halloween.... the Boston Vegetarian Society has their huge food festival at the RL center that day (and Sunday.) I've been dying to go for years, but never have been able to go until now since we'll be in Boston for the concert that night anyways

Thai food sounds great! We'll definitely have to check out what's around for that Thank you for the recommendations!
emnic77's Avatar emnic77 05:50 PM 10-24-2009
Quote:
Em- we'll be there on Halloween.... the Boston Vegetarian Society has their huge food festival at the RL center that day (and Sunday.) I've been dying to go for years, but never have been able to go until now since we'll be in Boston for the concert that night anyways

Thai food sounds great! We'll definitely have to check out what's around for that Thank you for the recommendations!
Thanks for the heads up - I had no idea that was going on. We're not vegetarian, but we definitely eat more vegetables than we do meat. Is this a ticketed event, do you know? I checked the schedule for the RL center and her tournament starts at 9, the food festival starts at 10, so we're planning on heading to that right when it opens on Sunday. Luckily she has to be there at 8, because parking is going to be a NIGHTMARE.

Awesome! Looking forward to this. We just picked up our first winter CSA share and need some new ideas for some veggie dinners.

Jelinifer's Avatar Jelinifer 07:26 PM 10-24-2009
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up - I had no idea that was going on. We're not vegetarian, but we definitely eat more vegetables than we do meat. Is this a ticketed event, do you know? I checked the schedule for the RL center and her tournament starts at 9, the food festival starts at 10, so we're planning on heading to that right when it opens on Sunday. Luckily she has to be there at 8, because parking is going to be a NIGHTMARE.

Awesome! Looking forward to this. We just picked up our first winter CSA share and need some new ideas for some veggie dinners.
As far as I know (from what I have heard from friends who have gone in the past) is that it's a free event with no need for tickets. I have also heard that it's an insane mob scene because it's the only real New England veg gathering so everyone goes to it.
Jelinifer's Avatar Jelinifer 02:06 PM 10-26-2009
Hey Wobit- I called MoCo earlier to RSVP for the birth circle and the gal I spoke to told me their RSVP list was filling up super fast. Just an FYI in case you had a chance to find chilcare for your LO for the night
wobit's Avatar wobit 03:29 PM 10-27-2009
Quote:
Hey Wobit- I called MoCo earlier to RSVP for the birth circle and the gal I spoke to told me their RSVP list was filling up super fast. Just an FYI in case you had a chance to find chilcare for your LO for the night
Eeek! I'll start negotiating with my husband now. We were trying to give eachother a free night off each week but that's fallen by the wayside recently. Maybe I'll suggest that he go to one of their beer nights!
Jelinifer's Avatar Jelinifer 08:54 PM 10-28-2009

Holy moly- the rain!!! I drove up 190 on the way home (should have done route 12 out of Worcester) and between the pouring rain and the wind, I'm shocked I didn't see any accidents out there!

Anyone else feeling water-logged yet?

I finally get to use that smiley for something other than me being a grump!
Jelinifer's Avatar Jelinifer 11:29 AM 11-02-2009
Hey Em.... how did your DD do in her karate tournament this weekend?
emnic77's Avatar emnic77 02:31 PM 11-02-2009
She only competed in the demonstration team competition before the tournament even started but they did great. She usually competes in weapons, sparring, and forms but she's the captain of the demo team and it just took up too much time for her, so I kind of told her no for the rest of the tournament. She would've been 6 days a week at the dojo and that's just too much.
But they did great! It was the team's first competition, they didn't make any mistakes and looked fantastic, but they didn't place. The judges clearly want more gymnastics/flashy dancy kind of stuff and their team is more about weapons and fighting. But the kids were happy with their performance, and they all left with huge smiles so that's what we wanted

how was the veggie conference? I saw them setting up sunday morning and thought about staying but we were wiped out and decided to head home instead.
Jelinifer's Avatar Jelinifer 03:06 PM 11-02-2009
We didn't end up going to the veg fest I was battling a bad headache Friday night and just started to feel better Sat. morning so we stuck around for most of the day and rested up... and then played it safe and ate at the Bertucci's at Alewife and took the T in for the night to see our concert at the Orpheum.
Jelinifer's Avatar Jelinifer 10:41 PM 11-02-2009
Quote:
Whoamigod... another vote for MoCo... finally went into their store today to start my diaper stash and talked with the sales clerk for a good 45 minutes about dipes and baby carriers (she had her DD with her in a Becco.) Such an awesome store and such a friendly staff. I will definitely be going back there to stock up on more things for the kiddo

....and I bought two covers and a snappi. My very first purchase for this bean
wobit's Avatar wobit 01:13 PM 11-03-2009
I'll be at the birth circle! I just talked to Jeanette on the phone, she said that they've given up being strict on RSVP because it doesn't seem to correlate with who shows up. They've plenty of room to split into two rooms if that many appear, so we can all go!

I'd like to find a nice prenatal class there, ideally some kind of birth-prep/movement. I know they have a good variety so I need to pick up info on schedules to talk over with DH. Mostly for the peer group, I feel I get good focused education from my midwife. I'll also pick up more diaper liners and trying to restrain myself from buying those squishy little newborn bamboo fitteds, I want to take them ALL home with me. I'll be drooling over the buckle carriers, too. And maybe a new bra. I'm a 34E now and I simply wear the only one that fits right every day to the hospital and wash it on weekends, when I wear the older, broken down ones. Sad. That sounds like too much shopping to do that late at night, maybe I'll come back on Saturday.

I'm hoping to catch a prenatal yoga class at FlowForms, which is convenient to the hospital for me. Anybody tried it there?
wobit's Avatar wobit 12:48 AM 11-04-2009
Quote:
I'm hoping to catch a prenatal yoga class at FlowForms, which is convenient to the hospital for me. Anybody tried it there?
The yoga is lovely at FlowForms! The class I went to was the Level 1, which they invite prenatal students to attend. She gave me very nice, clear modifications to my practice without making me feel singled out from all the non-preggos. She has a nice mix of pragmatic musculoskeletal info, and emotional/spiritual guidance, and it's a warm and welcoming class in a very pretty room over the lake. Recommended!
VeganMamaRed's Avatar VeganMamaRed 01:58 AM 11-04-2009
Quote:
Em- we'll be there on Halloween.... the Boston Vegetarian Society has their huge food festival at the RL center that day (and Sunday.)
Drat! So wishing I had seen this in time! There is an asian vegan place close by that is soooooooo insanely good I can't even begin to explain! We usually go to the food festival, didn't this year just because I didn't want all the germ exposure while pregnant, but we always end it with a trip to this restaurant. It's always so super packed and hot in there, they really should find a bigger space.

That's too bad you didn't get to go, but it is so not the place to be with a headahce. I swear I get a headache just walking in the door there, it's so loud!
Jelinifer's Avatar Jelinifer 11:05 AM 11-04-2009
Quote:
I'll be at the birth circle! I just talked to Jeanette on the phone, she said that they've given up being strict on RSVP because it doesn't seem to correlate with who shows up. They've plenty of room to split into two rooms if that many appear, so we can all go!

I'd like to find a nice prenatal class there, ideally some kind of birth-prep/movement. I know they have a good variety so I need to pick up info on schedules to talk over with DH. Mostly for the peer group, I feel I get good focused education from my midwife. I'll also pick up more diaper liners and trying to restrain myself from buying those squishy little newborn bamboo fitteds, I want to take them ALL home with me. I'll be drooling over the buckle carriers, too. And maybe a new bra. I'm a 34E now and I simply wear the only one that fits right every day to the hospital and wash it on weekends, when I wear the older, broken down ones. Sad. That sounds like too much shopping to do that late at night, maybe I'll come back on Saturday.

Awesome!!! I'll see you there I'm taking a prenatal yoga class on Saturdays up at home in NH. MoCo's website says they're going to start up a class soon... and I know Central MA. Yoga Institute also does a prenatal class... I'm thinking of adding another class to my mix in MA if I can find a earlier week night class.
Jelinifer's Avatar Jelinifer 11:07 AM 11-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganMamaRed View Post
Drat! So wishing I had seen this in time! There is an asian vegan place close by that is soooooooo insanely good I can't even begin to explain! We usually go to the food festival, didn't this year just because I didn't want all the germ exposure while pregnant, but we always end it with a trip to this restaurant. It's always so super packed and hot in there, they really should find a bigger space.

That's too bad you didn't get to go, but it is so not the place to be with a headahce. I swear I get a headache just walking in the door there, it's so loud!
Really! What's the name of the restaurant? We don't go to Boston often, but it's nice to hear about new places to try when we get out there I heard from a ton of folks that the BVS food fest is insanely packed each time- didn't want to risk having my headache come back right before the concert, and DH isn't too crazy about big crowds either
1 2 

Up