Gender determination at 12 weeks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-28-2009, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I thought I would start a thread on this. At my last appointment on monday I was surprised that my dr said I have a guess as to what gender your baby is. I was so surprised... I mean it's only 12 weeks! She said if she had to guess she would say boy. There was something there that kinda looked like a penis but obviously sooooo small she said she can't say for sure. Don't get me wrong, I will love this babe no matter what it is but I was so hoping for a girl. I still have hope as this site says both boys and girls look the same at this age. the baby was facing us during the u/s so I got a frontal view and the nub seemed to point straight down and seemed to be big in relation to the baby...so from the side it would seem to me it would be parallel. I'm holding on to any hope!!

http://baby2see.co.uk/gender/external_genitals.html

BFPChart2.gif

#2 of 28 Old 10-28-2009, 10:46 AM

Oh gosh, I think that 12 weeks is crazy early to get a confident read on something so small and wriggly!! Are you choosing to get the later u/s as well? If so, I'd definitely wait until then to find out!!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 28 Old 10-28-2009, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

yes I am so Im not taking it as fact yet.

BFPChart2.gif

#4 of 28 Old 10-28-2009, 11:05 AM

I believe that this happened to DeeGroovy in her pregnancy with her DD...

At about 12-13 weeks they told her it was a boy, then at 20w, it was a girl.

I'm pretty sure that sex identification this early is not so reliable.

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
#5 of 28 Old 10-28-2009, 11:09 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiberLover View Post
I'm pretty sure that sex identification this early is not so reliable.
It's not.
#6 of 28 Old 10-28-2009, 11:12 AM

My friend told me yesterday that they told her the gender of her son at 13w3d. They were right.

Michigan native living in Jersey with my hubby, sweet girl (4), wild boy (2), and baby girl due Dec. 18th! 

#7 of 28 Old 10-28-2009, 11:26 AM
2xy

Well, it's a 50/50 chance of being right or wrong. Those are pretty good odds that the findings will be right some of the time.
#8 of 28 Old 10-28-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
Well, it's a 50/50 chance of being right or wrong. Those are pretty good odds that the findings will be right some of the time.
Yep, this
#9 of 28 Old 10-28-2009, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

so this is not my ultrasound but I found it online and was pretty close to what we saw at my u/s"

http://www.in-gender.com/cs/forums/storage/95/433511/Baby%2012%20weeks2.jpg

the frontal shot and then you see "something" between the legs that looks like a little arrow pointing down. although my u/s was just a bit more clear.... but what do you mamas think?

BFPChart2.gif

#10 of 28 Old 10-28-2009, 05:19 PM

Goodness, we all have outies at that age and though angle might be able to help tell what it will be, it really just seems to iffy to me. Fun to try and guess at though huh?

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#11 of 28 Old 10-30-2009, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

I am still obsessing over the boy prediction. I feel like its a girl... or maybe I want it to be a girl so bad I make myself feel it is one.... idk. Im about 80% sure. I am stressing over this and really want to go do another ultrasound. No way I can wait another 2 months till my 20 week scan.....

BFPChart2.gif

#12 of 28 Old 10-30-2009, 03:28 PM

I wish I could scan mine in and show you. I don't know how they could tell from the front anyway. Mine is from the side and the thing points straight down between her legs parallel with her spine, there's no angle what so ever. My DH is doubtful and my FIL is positive we're all going to be surprised when a boy comes out instead. I'm still mulling over it all personally.

I do hope you get what you want mama.

My BFF IRL, had an ultrasound at 18 weeks, the tech told her, if there were going to be a penis, it'd be here, and I don't see one, an on the photos I can see a "line" or 2, but no penis. She's still convinced it's a boy no matter what they tell her.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#13 of 28 Old 10-30-2009, 07:44 PM

At 12 weeks the genatalia can be pretty swollen still, so a girls clitoris and labia can look like a boys package! Don't sweat it! Wait till 16 weeks or so when it is easier to see their little parts in there!

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
#14 of 28 Old 10-30-2009, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
It depends on the USS equipment being used and the skill of the operator I believe. I was talking to a radiographer friend of my brother's last night about this and said "can you really tell the sex at 13 weeks?" His response was "Easy. I saw one at 10 weeks today."

That said, he is using the most up to date equipment avaiable (apparently it improves about 100% every 12 months). I said, what if it's not in the right position and he said, if the person really wanted to know he would get them to go for a walk for 20mins or so and re-scan them.

Not sure about the US but in Australia there would be very few docs who had the newest and best ultrasound machines in their offices so I personally wouldn't rely on my doc getting it right but sounds like it's not just 50/50 like I thought it was.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#15 of 28 Old 10-30-2009, 10:42 PM

If you have a well trained Tech and state of the art equipment it is totally possible. it has something to do with how the lines down there are laying.

With my last two pregnancies we did the NT US at 12 weeks, and both times they guessed (the tech and Perinatologist) that both were girls. At birth they were right.
#16 of 28 Old 10-30-2009, 11:19 PM

the place we've gone with all 3 is an independent place and they say they can tell starting at 12 weeks. They haven't been wrong yet. BUT, this is a place that does u/s diagnostics for other issues, but only does gender determination for pregnancies. I agree that it depends on the tech and their equipment.

The gentialia is beginning to show what it will be at 12 weeks, but since it's so small and just beginning, it could easily be misidentified. Funny enough, I did some googling and found several stats saying that u/s techs were most accurate between weeks 13-15. Who knew!

Our friends found out girl at 12 weeks and it was correct. We found out girl at 16 weeks, and this time we'll go at 14 weeks.
#17 of 28 Old 10-31-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicpapayamama View Post
So I thought I would start a thread on this. At my last appointment on monday I was surprised that my dr said I have a guess as to what gender your baby is. I was so surprised... I mean it's only 12 weeks! She said if she had to guess she would say boy.

I was told my first baby was a boy at the 12wk us. Our daughter is almost 3 yo now
#18 of 28 Old 11-01-2009, 01:50 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
With my last two pregnancies we did the NT US at 12 weeks, and both times they guessed (the tech and Perinatologist) that both were girls. At birth they were right.
Seriously, look at the pictures. Between 11-13 weeks, the external genitalia is referred to as a "genital tuber." They're barely discernible from each other even up close.

One could just look at a pregnant woman and guess, with no ultrasound at all, and have a really good chance of being right. I think gender determination at 12 weeks of pregnancy is about as accurate as a horoscope.
#19 of 28 Old 11-01-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
Seriously, look at the pictures. Between 11-13 weeks, the external genitalia is referred to as a "genital tuber." They're barely discernible from each other even up close.

One could just look at a pregnant woman and guess, with no ultrasound at all, and have a really good chance of being right. I think gender determination at 12 weeks of pregnancy is about as accurate as a horoscope.
Actually when they see the genitials with a good view, gender determination can happen this early. The sex organ looks the same but is pointed differently. I'm 13 weeks and have a clear shot of girl parts, but it sticks out just like a boy part, just pointed down not up. I'm trying to scan it in now to show you all.

#20 of 28 Old 11-02-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to post that I found a 4d ultrasound place (the for fun ones) 3 blocks from my house!!! Omg that's amazing! Maybe not such a good thing because then it would be easy to go all the time...self control...lol but seriously I want to go soon and find out. My next dr app isn't for another 3 weeks and I might find out then if baby shows us. But idk if I can wait 3 weeks. Maybe I'll go in 1 week?? I'm 13 weeks 1 day today... when is a good week to go? would my best bet be to wait for my 16 week scan or can they tell now?

BFPChart2.gif

#21 of 28 Old 11-04-2009, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

so people are asking me now if I know what the gender is. Every time Im asked this my urge to go run to the 4d u/s place increases x10!! omg... so ladies... should I wait till my next regular u/s appointment in 3 weeks where Ill be 16 weeks or should I opt to go to a 4d place on my own at 14 weeks (this sun)? the suspense is killing me....

BFPChart2.gif

#22 of 28 Old 11-04-2009, 11:17 AM

Even with a 4d U/S, gender determination at 14 weeks is iffy at best. I wouldn't waste the money to get a 4d so early on.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#23 of 28 Old 11-04-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
so people are asking me now if I know what the gender is. Every time Im asked this my urge to go run to the 4d u/s place increases x10!! omg... so ladies... should I wait till my next regular u/s appointment in 3 weeks where Ill be 16 weeks or should I opt to go to a 4d place on my own at 14 weeks (this sun)? the suspense is killing me....
I'd wait only because you already had a "prediction" by someone. You're going to want to make sure that this next time it is alot more clear and unmistakable (considering your strong feelings about it). At least that's my take.
#24 of 28 Old 11-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreckledmama View Post
Even with a 4d U/S, gender determination at 14 weeks is iffy at best. I wouldn't waste the money to get a 4d so early on.
Actually at 13 weeks accuracy is supposed to be 95%, I'd say you'd get a pretty accurate "guess" if you go. Now, i don't personally think that 4d would be best at 14 weeks only because you won't be able to see much baby wise, but a regular 2d should be perfectly accurate at this stage mama. If you can't wait, go for it.

#25 of 28 Old 11-04-2009, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenk View Post
Actually at 13 weeks accuracy is supposed to be 95%, I'd say you'd get a pretty accurate "guess" if you go. Now, i don't personally think that 4d would be best at 14 weeks only because you won't be able to see much baby wise, but a regular 2d should be perfectly accurate at this stage mama. If you can't wait, go for it.
I just checked out the website of the 4d place and I just read that they do a 2d for this early bu they do gender determination this soon and I can go in again for free later on to double check the gender. For just the 2d with no dvd but photos its only $45! I think Im gonna schedule my appointment for this sunday!! omg Im so nervous now

BFPChart2.gif

#26 of 28 Old 11-04-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I just checked out the website of the 4d place and I just read that they do a 2d for this early bu they do gender determination this soon and I can go in again for free later on to double check the gender. For just the 2d with no dvd but photos its only $45! I think Im gonna schedule my appointment for this sunday!! omg Im so nervous now
Oh you can do it mama!!! I think it'll be good for you!! You and I seem to be a lot a like in this regard.

#27 of 28 Old 11-04-2009, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

uggg so I called and they told me that they start the 2d gender u/s at 15 weeks.... Im going to my reg dr at 16 weeks so a week wont kill me to wait. sheesh... oh well. Ill def go back there to do my 4d u/s later on.

BFPChart2.gif

#28 of 28 Old 11-04-2009, 03:41 PM

I just had an ultrasound yesterday at 13 weeks. The tech couldn't tell at all. She said the genitalia is still pretty similar at this stage so she didn't want to hazard a guess.

Michigan native living in Jersey with my hubby, sweet girl (4), wild boy (2), and baby girl due Dec. 18th! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page