starkyld - Another Mama of the Week (November 16-November 20) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-15-2009, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
starkyld - Another Mama of the Week (November 16-November 20)

Hey it's your turn!

A few from me:

Real name?

Age?

Where are you from, where do you live now?

Due date?

How long were you ttc?

Gender preference, if you have one & will you find out?

Family - husbands, wives, partners, kids, pets and more?

Occupation?

Hobbies and other activities?

Only answer those you are comfortable with

Alicia - Mother to DS (12) and finally expecting another
Living on 100 acres with the love of my life, our son, goats, chickens, ducks, a cat and 2 Chesapeakes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-15-2009, 06:25 PM

Favorite color?

Favorite ice cream?

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#3 of 9 Old 11-15-2009, 07:37 PM

Wow, it's my turn already!

AliciaP8's starter questions:
Real name? Bria

Age? 31

Where are you from, where do you live now? I'm from rural south Georgia and moved out of my tiny little hometown on the day after my 18th birthday. I live in Brooklyn now, which is the home of my heart.

Due date? May 22nd

How long were you ttc? Just over a year and a half.

Gender preference, if you have one & will you find out? I don't think I have one. I do have a strong girl intuition but have had boy dreams. I was keeping my intuition private for a while, but it's hard for me to not speak in pronouns and I think I've given up on hiding it. Even though I think Bagel's a girl, I'll be thrilled if Bagel's actually a boy after all. I won't be finding out the sex before the birth. I like surprises and I want to try to limit gender stereotyping.

Family - husbands, wives, partners, kids, pets and more? I have a husband and a cat; the three of us have been together for a little over six years. We had another cat until recently and we miss him very much.

Occupation? I'm an anthropologist and will be completing my PhD before Bagel is born. Right now I'm an adjunct professor at a private university in New Jersey and a data management analyst for a nonprofit on Wall St. I'm also on the faculty job market and work two volunteer jobs, one as a Rape Crisis Advocate at Bellevue and one as a College Boot Camp Trainer for Planned Parenthood.

Hobbies and other activities? I read voraciously. It's actually a bit of an addiction for me--sometimes I have to ban myself from reading recreationally during the semester or else I'll get nothing done. I watch certain television programs somewhat obsessively (including reading snarky recaps on TWOP and deconstructing plot points), but I don't like movies. I throw a fantastic cocktail party. I'm actually really good with a lot of the entertainment side of domesticity, but that's a muscle group that hasn't been exercised so much this year between how busy I've been and then feeling blah all through the first trimester.

Tenk's questions:
Favorite color? This really obnoxious shade of yellow-green that I call briagreen. I'm also fond of orange and chocolate brown.

Favorite ice cream?
Local: Ronnybrook Farms butter pecan or vanilla
Mass-produced: Chunky Monkey
Homemade: Peach
(you can probably tell that I really like ice cream)

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
#4 of 9 Old 11-15-2009, 07:49 PM

what is your favourite spot in brooklyn? (and if you don't mind me asking, what 'hood do you live in?)

what does your partner do?

are you applying all over the country for jobs? how is the process going thus far?

what tv shows do you love?

what is your most favourite thing to cook?

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#5 of 9 Old 11-15-2009, 08:37 PM

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be? Anywhere in the country you live in?

If you could live anywhere with nothing to get in your way, ie cost, where would it be?

How do you think having this baby will change you?

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#6 of 9 Old 11-15-2009, 09:39 PM

brooklyn_warbler's questions
what is your favourite spot in brooklyn? (and if you don't mind me asking, what 'hood do you live in?)
Favorite venue: The Bell House
Favorite restaurant: Walter Foods
Favorite spot to just be: The East River waterfront park at the end of Grand St.
And I live in Williamsburg (Bedford stop).

what does your partner do?
Mark builds guitars. Right now he's in a liminal state of trying to start his own business rather than building for other people, but that's somewhat on hold until we learn where we'll be living next year. He's also doing a little consulting work on the artist relations & research end of the music industry.

are you applying all over the country for jobs? how is the process going thus far?
I am, and it's exhausting. I'm starting to seriously reduce the number of applications that I'm sending out because I just don't have the time and energy. My backup plan is to do an MPH at either Columbia or NYU, which is probably also the best plan for my career long-term and more manageable with an infant than year 1 of a tenure track job will be, but we'll see what I can manage.

what tv shows do you love?
My favorite of all time is Twin Peaks. Of shows still in production, I'm going with Lost.

what is your most favourite thing to cook?
Oooh.
Meal: gumbo (I make my own roux).
Party food: my family's cheeseball.
Holiday treat: divinity.
Alcoholic holiday treat: eggnog.

jewellz's questions:
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Southeast Asia by land. I went to Bangkok briefly last summer and loved it. My husband wasn't able to come with me. When I came home, I was very adamant that I wanted to go back and I wanted for my husband to be able to experience it with me. He's always wanted to go to Vietnam and he's not as comfortable with the idea of 20+ hour flights for brief visits, so our plan is to go to SE Asia for at least a couple of weeks and to travel to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Angkor Wat, Vientiane, and Hanoi. He also wants to work Java into the same trip. We do plan to travel internationally with this child, but I haven't decided yet how early in life I'd feel comfortable with having a child make that major of a trip--possibly around 2.

Anywhere in the country you live in?
Seattle. We had planned to go next June, which I believe we'll be canceling now. I do like Portland and have always liked what I've heard of Seattle, but I haven't had a chance to visit it myself just yet.

If you could live anywhere with nothing to get in your way, ie cost, where would it be? Brooklyn. Probably even the same neighborhood that I'm in now (although I also like Park Slope, as much as it is a cliched baby garden). We do eventually want to own rather than rent, and my husband needs a workshop space either in our domicile or as a separate small industrial property, but this is where we'd prefer to be if finances and my career will allow.

How do you think having this baby will change you? I think this baby is going to change me a lot, and I'm really looking forward to it. I hope that my child will help me sort my priorities in order, to appreciate what really matters, to slow down, to be gentle with myself as well as with my child. I'll just have to wait and see what actually happens. It will be a whole new experience for me.

Where do you see yourself in ten years? Hopefully with this child and one other, with a tenure-track position, a book or two published on my research, and a husband with a small luthiery business.

#7 of 9 Old 11-15-2009, 10:10 PM

i think two is a great age to start with international travel. we'd be traveling with wren right now if we weren't totally broke and the first place we wanted to take her wasn't a total warzone.

what kind of music do you listen to, besides amanda palmer?

what else do you watch? we are having a hard time finding something to really get into right now...although lost will be on again soon. we were trying "dollhouse" but we sort of can't take it. we liked heroes season 1 -- season 2 was awful and we tried one episode of season 3 and didn't want to toture ourselves. we kind of loved veronica mars. *hides*

and we live in south slope/"greenwood heights"! kinda calmer than central slope and cheaper too. we love it here. lots of families and some really good coffeeshops. much more diverse too.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#8 of 9 Old 11-15-2009, 11:44 PM

Follow-up questions from brooklyn_warbler
what kind of music do you listen to, besides amanda palmer?
Heh. I actually don't listen to Amanda Palmer all that often, but she does put on an entertaining stage show (we go to a LOT of concerts). My musical tastes are usually somewhere in the indie spectrum. Favorite artists: Neko Case, The Watson Twins, Elliott Smith, Jeff Buckley, My Teenage Stride, The Bird & The Bee, Emilyn Brodsky, Marnie Stern, Shonen Knife, and pretty much any project Corin Tucker or Kathleen Hanna has ever tackled. My husband is a serious jazz fan (and student), so there's usually jazz playing at home when I walk in. I can't handle the really experimental forms, but I'm developing more and more of an appreciation for some of the more soulful, bluesy side of jazz and we go out to jazz clubs on occasion as well as to concerts that are more my usual fare.

what else do you watch?
There is no shame in an appreciation for Veronica Mars. I do watch shows that I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit (Grey's Anatomy, True Blood, Life on Mars), but I have no compunctions about fessin' up to Veronica Mars. Pushing Daisies and Wonderfalls were other enjoyable ones that were cancelled sooner than I would have liked. I do like Dexter & Big Love, but am behind on both. I enjoyed The L Word until Ariel Schrag started writing for them, which is really sad because she's my absolute favorite comic artist but her work doesn't transition to serial television well.

#9 of 9 Old 11-16-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkyld View Post
Pushing Daisies and Wonderfalls were other enjoyable ones that were cancelled sooner than I would have liked
I would definitely agree.

I live near two of the places you would of moved to, like them but too big city for me.

We have the same due date.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page