Are you telling anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you fortunate enough to have settled on a name, are you telling your family/close friends/anyone who asks? We have had a name picked out since we found out LO is a boy, but have not disclosed yet. What are the rest of you doing?

Mommy to girls twins.gif 9/2005, our angel babies stillheart.gif 2004 and stillheart.gif 2005, and our intact, ebf superhero.gif4/29/2010.

#2 of 25 Old 01-23-2010, 09:11 PM

I tell pretty much anyone that asks. Though I'm aware there may be some who don't like it or make rude comments and I'm prepaired to ignore them.

BFPChart2.gif

#3 of 25 Old 01-23-2010, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can count on one hand (or less) the number of people we've told. While we're pretty sure what the name will be (depending on the sex - we're having a surprise), we may change our mind. I don't want to feel like we're stuck with a name because we wanted it early in the pregnancy. With DD2, at around 8 months we totally changed the name we had been thinking of to something that hadn't even been on our short list.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 4 wonderful kiddos . . . and now another on the way.
#4 of 25 Old 01-23-2010, 09:39 PM

I think DH told his parents our boy name, but I think the only people besides the two of us that know the girls name are my sister and brother in law because they were with us when we picked it out (we were all discussing baby names together).
Everyone thinks they can give an opinion on names you've picked out, and I am not a kind person when confronted with rudeness regarding personal decisions, so it's best for all parties involved for us to just not say anything.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#5 of 25 Old 01-23-2010, 10:07 PM

We do not tell. This drives my in-laws BONKERS which, for me, is an added bonus People tell what they think of the name before a baby is born and I am not interested in unsolicited opinions. If someone hears a name and it's attached to the sweet little newborn they are FAR less likely to criticize.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#6 of 25 Old 01-23-2010, 10:52 PM

With my first two, and starting out with this one, name picking became a family affair. Everyone threw in ideas...holidays became round table discussions of names, etc. My first DDs name was actually an idea my mom had. My second came from my SIL. This time I find myself a bit irritated with that process though. There was a name I loved and I threw it out and someone said something critical. For whatever reason I became a bit irritated and halted the name discussions with everyone. We are pretty sure we know, and I am happy to tell most anyone our top 3-5 faves at any given time. But even once we know, this time, we are not confirming with anyone till she comes.
#7 of 25 Old 01-24-2010, 12:17 AM

We tell. We call him by name when we refer to him already. If you ask my 2 year old who is living in my belly she will reply with the most adorable grin "MY Simon!"
#8 of 25 Old 01-24-2010, 12:26 AM

We haven't told a single person and we're not planning on doing so. We do have frontrunner names for both a boy and a girl--we're completely sold on the first names and pretty sure about the middles--but we don't want for it to feel settled until we actually meet the child and are sure that the name fits. We're also pretty sure about what sex we're having even though we didn't want to know, so our naming discussions for the opposite sex have basically stopped, but we were pretty settled on that name before the ultrasound. Our naming discussions for the sex that we think we're having usually go like this about once a week...

Me: "So, are you still feeling (first name) (middle name)?"
Him: "Yep."
Me: "Okay."

In Baby Name Wizard terminology, our girl name style is Antique Charm + Guys & Dolls. Our boy name style is Timeless + an uncategorized surname (not a family name, one that we like for other reasons). I'm not seeing anything rationally objectionable in there and don't really want to seek out opinions from anyone other than my husband. It's a big decision, but we've both thought about it carefully and I think we've picked out a name that will suit our child well.

We *have* told people that the child's last name will be hyphenated. Both of us have two-syllable British Isles surnames and they sound good together. We haven't gotten any criticism about that and I thought we might--maybe it's still coming.

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
#9 of 25 Old 01-24-2010, 12:49 AM

Once we decide on a name we'll tell anyone who asks. I've never had anyone give me bad feedback on a name I have chosen and I have some names most people would find 'not normal'. I think I must emanate a don't make me mad vibe while pregnant so that could be why the no bad comments.

I used to keep the name a secret until baby's birth; however, after Calliope I stopped. When she was born I felt like no one 'knew' her because we didn't' tell her name ahead of time, hence the telling early for the next baby.

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
#10 of 25 Old 01-24-2010, 12:57 AM

We tell our kids and of course that means it leaks out. We do also however change the name frequently I've also been known to throw out totally obnoxious fake names in response to the question. (I'm leaning towards "Dufus" this week) Our family has pretty much given up on making it a big deal and know they will find out...when they find out!

Part of the reason I'm so shady is I agree with PP's words that once the name is attached to an adorable little baby they are looking at, they don't dare speak ill words. And if they have the guts to do so, I take it personal because at that point it's not a name we are "considering" but a child we just birthed. For some dumb reason people think if you are still pregnant they have the rights and the means to influence the parents decision on the unborn's name. It's really inappropriate to me.

Mama to 4 Boys & One baby Girl! My DH co-sleeps! (with the couch) I'm a Student Midwife!
#11 of 25 Old 01-24-2010, 03:18 AM

we decided on his name the day after we found out he was a boy at 19 weeks exactly. we call him by name and everyone knows. , i like bouncing name tastes off people.

Jessicaintactlact.gif, wife to Derricklurk.gif, missing Joslyn angel3.gif, 22 weeks 06.18.08, rainbow1284.gifBaby Kai Ambrose 05.10.10 and Isla Blythe born on Thanksgiving '12 uc.jpg

#12 of 25 Old 01-24-2010, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We have two names we're considering - Lyric Rose or Freya Juliet. We've told my parents and brother and DH's daughter. If anyone else asks we just say we have a short list (we do) but we haven't made a final decision (we haven't).

DH and I and my family are referring to BabyGirl as Freya/Lyric and Lyric/Freya (L/F for short) at the moment. Although I'm a bit worried that by the time she's born we'll be used to the two first names as a couplet and have to call her that

I do tell everyone that she will have my surname as her second middle name though.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#13 of 25 Old 01-24-2010, 06:37 AM

#14 of 25 Old 01-24-2010, 06:58 AM

We don't tell anyone. Not anyone. I was so shocked, disappointed, and angrered by how negative and opinionated people where when we told names with ds that we're keeping this one under our hat. And we choose very traditional, quite unobjectionable family names. And people still where rude. As in "I knew a guy named _____. He was a real a-hole". Why they think I need to know things like that about my child's future name is a mystery. Go figure. So, anyway, we won't tell this time!
#15 of 25 Old 01-24-2010, 10:00 AM

We tell, and usually everyone who asks. I always made the stupid mistakes of asking families opinions with my other babies, so this time, we didn't ask. However, we did tell once we decided, and so far no negative comments....FOR ONCE!!! Woo hoo!!

: and 3 dd's (5, 4, 17 mos) and anticipating Michaela Skye (after my late daddy Michael.) May 26th 2010
#16 of 25 Old 01-24-2010, 09:31 PM

This time around (our 3rd) we aren't telling ANYBODY! NO ONE! NOT A SOLE! I got such grief over our last child's name. (Ezra) I vowed never ever again. My MIL was complaining about it in the waiting room while I was in the delivery room pushing. REALLY? COME ON! My mother couldn't get it straight for MONTHS! "What are you naming him? Hoozra? Hezra? Iziria?"

The faces people made at me! The comments I got!

So TOUGH! You have to be rude! You loose the privileged!
#17 of 25 Old 01-24-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecaut View Post
Once we decide on a name we'll tell anyone who asks. I've never had anyone give me bad feedback on a name I have chosen and I have some names most people would find 'not normal'. I think I must emanate a don't make me mad vibe while pregnant so that could be why the no bad comments.

I used to keep the name a secret until baby's birth; however, after Calliope I stopped. When she was born I felt like no one 'knew' her because we didn't' tell her name ahead of time, hence the telling early for the next baby.
I totally need to "catch" some of your vibes. I just give off the "I cry at the drop of a hat" vibes

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#18 of 25 Old 01-24-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkyld View Post
We haven't told a single person and we're not planning on doing so. We do have frontrunner names for both a boy and a girl--we're completely sold on the first names and pretty sure about the middles--but we don't want for it to feel settled until we actually meet the child and are sure that the name fits. We're also pretty sure about what sex we're having even though we didn't want to know, so our naming discussions for the opposite sex have basically stopped, but we were pretty settled on that name before the ultrasound. Our naming discussions for the sex that we think we're having usually go like this about once a week...

Me: "So, are you still feeling (first name) (middle name)?"
Him: "Yep."
Me: "Okay."

In Baby Name Wizard terminology, our girl name style is Antique Charm + Guys & Dolls. Our boy name style is Timeless + an uncategorized surname (not a family name, one that we like for other reasons). I'm not seeing anything rationally objectionable in there and don't really want to seek out opinions from anyone other than my husband. It's a big decision, but we've both thought about it carefully and I think we've picked out a name that will suit our child well.

We *have* told people that the child's last name will be hyphenated. Both of us have two-syllable British Isles surnames and they sound good together. We haven't gotten any criticism about that and I thought we might--maybe it's still coming.
I have never heard of the baby wizard! I'm off to explore!

#19 of 25 Old 01-25-2010, 09:57 AM

We haven't been secretive with close family about names we are considering. None of our family would be overly rude anyway. We've also gotten some suggestions from family members that we liked. We still don't have a name picked though so I think after the birth will be the final decision and we'll share that when we know it.

Alicia - Mother to DS (12) and finally expecting another
Living on 100 acres with the love of my life, our son, goats, chickens, ducks, a cat and 2 Chesapeakes!
#20 of 25 Old 01-25-2010, 10:57 AM

We are sharing, and it's even listed in my siggy. I personally don't care what others think. JMO tho.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#21 of 25 Old 01-25-2010, 03:47 PM

We're telling everyone who asks this time and it is so much more fun that it was not telling anyone last time! I'm not good at keeping secrets for one thing and before we knew it was a boy we told my grandma the girl name, since we'd have named a girl after her and I didn't want to take a chance she'd be around in May to know we used her name.

Amy, wife of Ben and mommy of Paul (4/9/07), (7/09) and Charlie (5/13/10)
#22 of 25 Old 01-25-2010, 03:56 PM

We will share the name when the baby is born. That is what we did with DD. We share the sex of the baby, but we like to keep the name private until the baby is born. Even though we have a named picked out, it won't be her name until she is born... if that makes sense. Especially since there is no guarantee she is definitely a she.

I also don't want anyone's reactions to change our choice, or make me second guess. Even if they say they like it, I am pretty good at reading if they are being sincere. Once the baby is born people are usually so taken with the baby they don't really care so much about the name.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#23 of 25 Old 01-26-2010, 11:38 AM

We have always known and shared the sex and name of the baby before birth. (4 times) But this baby was such a surprise Im doing everything different. Not finding out the gender and although we have a name sort of, we will announce at birth when we find out.

Since I dont KNOW any of you and you wont tell I dont mind sharing

My current children are: Breaunna Faith, Gabriella Analiese, Krisalyn Elise Rose, and Elijah James.

For Boy: Levi Joseph or Josia Levi

For a Girl: Ellanora Isabell (Ella Bella) or Naomi Isabella Joy (Bella Joy)

comments are welcome as I just don't think I will know for sure till I meet this precious babe

Laurie, wife to James, mom to 3 girls: 8,5 & 4 and 1 handsome boy,2: planning May 2010
#24 of 25 Old 01-27-2010, 03:07 PM

We're not really telling that many people. I just don't want to hear anyone's negativity. I dealt with that when I was pregnant with #2 and it really hurt my feelings. I have shared the name with a couple close friends and I told them that if they didn't like it they better not tell me and to fake it really well. lol

Noelia- mama to 4
#25 of 25 Old 02-02-2010, 01:43 PM

We tell pretty much everyone. I get so excited once I have a name! I do brace myself for those who won't like it and try to have the mentality that all that matters is that we like it. We tune in to the baby and ask them what they want to bring forward as their name. This is helpful as far as letting other people know because it reaffirms our decision to trust our instincts and the baby and know what's right. It's really not about us or anyone else, it's about these precious little beings!

Free-birthing, un-schooling (Waldorf style), extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering Earth Mama to Kayleb, ( 10/07) and Anaya ( 5/10)! Joyfully married to my beloved I hug trees and plant seeds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page